Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Glad to hear things are improving @Revolucionar.

It's usually normal to lose weight during the first few weeks of keto before it stabilises, but if you continue losing weight it may be because your fat intake is low. I had the same issue when I first started. Initially, it's hard to gauge the amount of fat you need to eat to compensate for the loss of energy intake from carbs and sugars. You could try upping your fat intake a bit and see if that has an effect.

Just want to report that I’ve finally started Keto in earnest four days ago and doing great so far. I’ve been trying out different things over the years but would always just revert back to the standard diet. I tried carnivore for a week or so a year or so ago and that didn’t work out for me. I just couldn’t eat enough and my digestion was terrible.
Before starting this Keto journey, I was eating a pretty regular diet including grains and dairy, but not too much sweets. Also, my wife and I try to source our food and don’t eat junk, usually.
So I went from that to full Keto, probably no more than 10g carbs per day. I’m having no issues so far and I think I’ve been in ketosis for 2 days now. Is there a way to know without taking a test? I’m having that sort of metallic taste in my mouth plus I definitely feel different, but can’t quite put my finger on it. I’ve read about this metallic taste, but I don’t know if that’s actually good or it means that something is not going right.
Anyway, just wanted to put it out there and I’ll be reporting back here with my experience and some detail about what I’m actually eating.

The taste in your mouth I have heard can from Iodine, and perhaps detoxing as well. I have heard that when you begin ketosis, that you can be breathing out acetone, a byproduct of ketosis, as your body is unable to use all the ketones that are being produced in your body, and that this can be experienced as 'bad breath'. Once your body upregulates its capacity to utilize ketones, then the acetone overflow into the breath goes away. This is my understanding, and I don't know if the metallic taste is due to ketones or not, as I have not experienced it myself.

As anartist wrote, the taste could come from the ketones or the diet change itself since you fully changed the fuel of your (body) engine so to speak. Though I must say, normally you don't smell the acetone that comes from the diet and your body only another person could tell you.

I switched to the Ketogenic Diet - a week ago - to experiment.

For the first 2 days I ate only meat + fats - and I felt a metallic taste in my mouth. I was wondering if this is due to the fact that I have an excised gallbladder. On the 3d day I introduced natural unleavened buckwheat groats and changed my eating hours - in the morning 1h after taking hormones (hm I have to supplement because of my thyroid (malignant thyroid cancer)). the biggest meal, then small meals every 1-3 h - here I have to see how the body will react because "bile acid" is constantly flowing into the stomach and I can't eat a big portion of meat/fat at one time because without the "gallbladder" not much "bile acid" is released to digest the food.

So far it's ok - I can still feel the metallic taste, but less so now.

I noticed that I drink a lot, much more than before, water of course.
- I have, I don't know how to describe it, in my mouth I feel that my tongue is "rough" but the saliva is there. This intensifies my desire to drink water.

In addition I have cut off:
- sugars
- gluten
- coffee - 5th day without coffee (after 2 days I had headaches - on the 3rd day they disappeared) - I replaced coffee with "White tea" "Angel's touch"
- vegetables (I miss lettuce! and tomatoes)

I switched to the Ketogenic Diet - a week ago - to experiment.

For the first 2 days I ate only meat + fats - and I felt a metallic taste in my mouth. I was wondering if this is due to the fact that I have an excised gallbladder. On the 3d day I introduced natural unleavened buckwheat groats and changed my eating hours - in the morning 1h after taking hormones (hm I have to supplement because of my thyroid (malignant thyroid cancer)). the biggest meal, then small meals every 1-3 h - here I have to see how the body will react because "bile acid" is constantly flowing into the stomach and I can't eat a big portion of meat/fat at one time because without the "gallbladder" not much "bile acid" is released to digest the food.

So far it's ok - I can still feel the metallic taste, but less so now.

I noticed that I drink a lot, much more than before, water of course.
- I have, I don't know how to describe it, in my mouth I feel that my tongue is "rough" but the saliva is there. This intensifies my desire to drink water.

In addition I have cut off:
- sugars
- gluten
- coffee - 5th day without coffee (after 2 days I had headaches - on the 3rd day they disappeared) - I replaced coffee with "White tea" "Angel's touch"
- vegetables (I miss lettuce! and tomatoes)
The metallic taste disappeared for me completely after a few days. Water intake increased for me too, but be careful to add some electrolytes too. I noticed that I need to add more salt to avoid being dehydrated. I woke up a few days with a hangover without having had any alcohol. That's basically a sign of low electrolytes and dehydration.

I'll try to write a more comprehensive update on how I'm doing soon. Made my first Fat Bomb Custard yesterday. It turned out perfect. Yummy

I also started a keto diet last week. I began to enter ketosis almost by accident, I did not even immediately understand what was happening to me (aches in my whole body, weakness, etc.). Morally I prepared for this diet, but did not dare to start abruptly. I read Gaby's book, Dr. Mercolo's book (Fat for Fuel), and I studied the forum. The decisive moment was registration on the website CRON-O-Meter: Create your free account.
Since January 25, I have filled out everything I eat for each meal, weighed the food, made my own recipes. At first a little long, but then you do everything almost automatically. And most importantly, under control, every piece, you see how many grams of proteins, fats and carbohydrates you ate, their percentage and whether they went beyond the limits, there is a weight loss schedule, etc. Gradually I began to eat less and less carbohydrates (less 20 g net carbs) and protein (about 38 grams on my net weight). The fat is 110 g per day. And then, unexpectedly for myself, ketones began to be produced.

I am still in keto adaptation. The most difficult were the first 4 days: very frequent urination, my whole body aches really like with the flu, terrible brain fog, weakness, headache, light dizziness, pulse 92 beats per minute. But the worst thing is a strong excruciating pain (it does not look like cramps) in the legs at night from 2 o'clock until the very morning.

Lucky for those who pass it unnoticed :-) .

But I knew what to do:

1. I immediately went and bought a glucometer and strips for measuring ketones in urine.

Ketones in the urine turned out to be about 13 mmol / l (of course, it is better to measure it in blood, but we do not sell such devices), urine smells like acetone and breathing is slightly too (but I don’t feel it). The level of glucose in the blood is fairly stable on an empty stomach, 3.1-3.7 mmol / l; before bedtime 4.1-4.3 mmol / l. Those less than 80 mg / dL during the day.

2. Drank a lot of water and salt, just plain water. I didn't count, but about 1.5 liters per day for my weight.

3. Added magnesium, potassium and calcium supplements. I can't get enough of them from food.

4. Milk thistle, alpha lipoic acid for the liver and bile for the digestion of fat. Although I have already got used to fatty dishes for a long time (I trained on coffee with coconut oil, fatty broths and fat bombs).

5. I continue to drink Iodine, vitamin C and complex vitamins Two per day.

6. And of course Bone Broth and Fat Bomb.

7. I adhere to "intermittent fasting", but not very hard: I get up at 7, but have breakfast at 9 in the morning, dinner at 18-19. The break is 14-15 hours.

Now the ratio of proteins: carbohydrates: fats is 10%: 10%: 80%

Maybe I need to do something else?:huh:

Today is the fifth day and I feel better. While weakness and brain fog, thirst and frequent urination persist. There is no terrible hunger, as before every 3 hours. I am glad that today was the first night, without pain in the body and legs. Also, flushes of mental clarity and activity began.

Unfortunately, I still cannot find the strength to do my favorite Arki-Chu-gong and HIIT.🙁
Right, I forgot about that and recently someone reminded me - I'll start adding some salt to the water. Thanks!

Once upon a time I found such a recipe on sott.net, and now the whole family drinks a glass of salt water with salt in the morning. It is very comfortable:

• Glass jar with a nylon lid (best for 500-750 ml) - 2
• real natural pink Himalayan salt - enough to fill 1/4 can
• plastic or wooden teaspoon

Cooking method:

1. Put salt in a jar and fill it with filtered water.

2. Shake the jar well to dissolve the salt.

3. Leave the salt water overnight. In the morning, if all the salt has dissolved, add 2 more tablespoons, shake again and leave overnight. And this should be continued until at least some amount of undissolved salt remains at the bottom of the can.

4. The solution is ready to use when the salt no longer dissolves in it.

In order to have a supply of brine, prepare another jar and repeat the procedure. When the brine in one jar runs out, you can start cooking again. How to use: In the morning, put 1 teaspoon of the concentrate we have prepared in a glass, add water and drink. Salt water should be drunk on an empty stomach. The solution tastes pleasant, slightly salty!

You need to start gradually with 1/2 teaspoon. To achieve results and improve the body, you need to drink salted water constantly.

What you should pay attention to:
• Only real Himalayan salt is needed to prepare the solution. Plain white salt is not suitable as it does not contain the required minerals.
• Do not use metal spoons or lids, their contact with our salt solution will change its electrical charge.

Hello everyone! I want to share my feelings after a month of being on a keto diet. I have already written what happened to me and what I did in the 1st week of ketosis.
It turned out that weeks 2 and 3 were even worse:
  • Ketoadaptation at the level of cellular metabolism was completed only after 23 days. Almost all this time I had weakness, brain fog, digestive problems, pain throughout the body, obsessive thoughts about food, etc. Occasionally there were hours of enlightenment of the mind!
(Mercola says that at the age of 60, the adaptation took 2 weeks, but for some it can take up to 6 weeks or even more).
I have not eaten sugar and flour for several years (making exceptions only for holidays), and in general, as it seemed to me, my body and psyche do not depend on carbohydrates (I do not have a craving for sweets). But it took 3 weeks to switch to a ketone diet.

At 3-4 weeks:
  • Various diseases began to worsen. Only earlier they were in a mild form, and now they have become stronger and all at once (problems with constipation, dyskinesia of the gallbladder, convulsions, pain in the joints of the legs, numbness of the left hand (elbow syndrome), perioral dermatitis).
During this time, I took a crash course in internal medicine on my own body:lkj:. Each morning began with a search for treatment and medication to solve the problem. I had to learn to feel my body more carefully and respond more quickly to its needs.

I hope that all these are positive effects of the keto diet!

Not all the problems are solved yet, but I already feel like a human being:
  • The brain works clearly, the energy lasts until the night.
  • The craving for food is gone, I can even forget to eat. But I make sure that I get enough protein and fat.
  • Blood glucose does not jump, it has become more stable (in the morning 3.2, in the evening 3.6 mmol/l).
  • The smell of acetone became less, it was transformed into a light sweet taste in the mouth. Only during the warrior's Breathing can I still smell the acetone.
  • Finally, there is a desire and strength to do physical exercises.
It was a difficult time for me. But I felt I had to do it! To be continued...

It was a difficult time for me. But I felt I had to do it! To be continued...
Oh, honestly, for all who will decide on the transition to a clean ketody - stock upwards, patience and willpower. This is the truth is a rather complicated diet.
I am all the time next to @Korzik18 . I see how hard she was given a transition. But she coped with everything and great well done! I am very proud of her.
But so far, I understand that I can only stick to the Paleodyte. Neither gluten, nor flour, nor sweet want, but the lack of fruit, and so much fat is afraid of me.
Sorry for a small offtopic :)

But so far, I understand that I can only stick to the Paleodyte.
This is understandable for everyone is different. I, too, have to stick to a more paleo diet as I can't handle all of the fat that is needed. I did really like all of the fat and felt really satiated. It was great! Except for the fact that the fat kind of went right through me and I did gain weight instead of losing it. (I found out through DNA testing that I have a metabolism that does gain weight from saturated fats. :-()

It's great that Korzik18 had someone to stand by her through her transition to keto. And, I assume, you had her to stand by you.

This is understandable for everyone is different. I, too, have to stick to a more paleo diet as I can't handle all of the fat that is needed. I did really like all of the fat and felt really satiated. It was great! Except for the fact that the fat kind of went right through me and I did gain weight instead of losing it. (I found out through DNA testing that I have a metabolism that does gain weight from saturated fats. :-()

It's great that Korzik18 had someone to stand by her through her transition to keto. And, I assume, you had her to stand by you.
Wow, I'm sorry you have such a reaction to fats.:-(
I'm still losing weight a little, but my liver is hard. I enjoyed eating a fat salted herring a week ago. And it was fatal. The amount was within the acceptable range, but such a load did not like my intestines and liver. Everyone have to be very careful. Even on keto, excess fat can be harmful!
I found Dr. Berg's advice that for pain in the right hypochondrium and back, the saturated fat should be reduced and replaced with olive oil. So far, I've managed to maintain the necessary balance to stay in ketosis. I hope to stay on keto for another 2-3 months. But I think that all this time I will have to take enzymes, pepsin, bile, milk thistle. I drink corn silk decoction and do special exercises for the intestines and gallbladder.

Just a quick update, I’ll provide more detail later. A month ago I got diarrhea. I though it was just one of those flukes that happened a few times already since going keto. I kept eating the same but it kept on going. So I reduced fat intake and upped my carbs. Helped just a bit. I started eating plain rice and chicken breast and that helped but it took almost 2 weeks to get to a somewhat normal stool. Then I had a wisdom tooth extraction and started taking antibiotics and painkillers and it all went to s**t again (excuse the pun). Now it’s been another 10 days of horrible, constant diarrhea. I lost a lot of weight I couldn’t afford to lose. Lost about 3 kilos since going keto and finally started putting weight back on when all this began to happen. I’m down about 6 kilos since going keto now and I’m not allowing myself to go further, so I decided I’m eating everything except dairy for awhile until I get back into shape. Hope this diarrhea goes away soon, I never had anything like it. Taking probiotics, but they seem to be pretty useless. Anyway, I’ll provide more detail if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. Thanks for reading

Just a quick update, I’ll provide more detail later. A month ago I got diarrhea. I though it was just one of those flukes that happened a few times already since going keto. I kept eating the same but it kept on going. So I reduced fat intake and upped my carbs. Helped just a bit. I started eating plain rice and chicken breast and that helped but it took almost 2 weeks to get to a somewhat normal stool. Then I had a wisdom tooth extraction and started taking antibiotics and painkillers and it all went to s**t again (excuse the pun). Now it’s been another 10 days of horrible, constant diarrhea. I lost a lot of weight I couldn’t afford to lose. Lost about 3 kilos since going keto and finally started putting weight back on when all this began to happen. I’m down about 6 kilos since going keto now and I’m not allowing myself to go further, so I decided I’m eating everything except dairy for awhile until I get back into shape. Hope this diarrhea goes away soon, I never had anything like it. Taking probiotics, but they seem to be pretty useless. Anyway, I’ll provide more detail if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. Thanks for reading
Elliots video below has some answers...

From the video description:
Do you experience chronic diarrhea on a carnivore diet? Have you stuck at it through the "adaptation" period, yet are still unable to digest fat very well? Does your digestion improve after eating some rice, fruit, or vegetables? Have you tried ox bile, digestive enzymes, and every other method, yet have not found any relief? Well, you may have an issue with recycling bile acids. Rather than not having enough bile, you may actually have TOO MUCH bile. In this video, I explain the possible mechanisms underlying a condition called primary bile acid malabsorption/diarrhea, and look at some of the factors which may be involved in this.

Elliots video below has some answers...

From the video description:
Thanks for that video. And thanks to @Keyhole for a great presentation. It sounds like I might have elements of that issue usually, but at the moment this is something different. Whatever I eat I have diarrhea all day. Eating rice and chicken seems to help a bit so I’ll try that again for a few days and report back. It seems like my entire digestive system is a mess. I eat something and soon after feel pike I ate a rock with some nausea. I just want to get back to a more or less normal digestion as this has been seriously awful. On top of it all, I have pain from the tooth extraction, which is thankfully getting better and I can finally go an entire day without painkillers by just sucking it up and diverting my attention.

Thanks for that video. And thanks to @Keyhole for a great presentation. It sounds like I might have elements of that issue usually, but at the moment this is something different. Whatever I eat I have diarrhea all day. Eating rice and chicken seems to help a bit so I’ll try that again for a few days and report back. It seems like my entire digestive system is a mess. I eat something and soon after feel pike I ate a rock with some nausea. I just want to get back to a more or less normal digestion as this has been seriously awful. On top of it all, I have pain from the tooth extraction, which is thankfully getting better and I can finally go an entire day without painkillers by just sucking it up and diverting my attention.
What kind of antibiotic were you prescribed?

I would think it could be a rebound infection from the depletion to gut bugs which can happen as a consquence of antibiotics. The first that comes to mind is C.Diff, which is pretty common after antibiotics and can be quite serious if not addressed.

Since you have been losing weight and the diarrhea is constant, it would be a good idea to go to your GP/doctor and have this checked out.

What kind of antibiotic were you prescribed?

I would think it could be a rebound infection from the depletion to gut bugs which can happen as a consquence of antibiotics. The first that comes to mind is C.Diff, which is pretty common after antibiotics and can be quite serious if not addressed.

Since you have been losing weight and the diarrhea is constant, it would be a good idea to go to your GP/doctor and have this checked out.
Actually, I got diarrhea before I started antibiotics (Augmetin) and managed to get it under control more or less, but it started up again after starting with the antibiotics. I’m back on plain rice and I’ll give it a day or two before going to the doctor. I was actually losing weight because I wasn’t eating enough due to diarrhea. I started gaining again but my digestion is still bad.

Back
Top Bottom