"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
truth seeker said:
For what it's worth, my dad has always had one in the house so I feel pretty comfortable with them. Perhaps other have done it differently but I believe that if the meat isn't done sufficiently, it can be turned on again. As stated, one should really respect this tool when using it. If you wait after turning off the heat until it completely stops whistling, it should be fine. Technically, the lid should not be able to come off while the pressure is releasing so there should be no chance of injury but if it makes you more comfortable, give it half an hour to be sure.

No, when it "stops whistling", it is still not yet cool enough to open. Even if the jiggler is still, there can still be pressure which is why you must lift it with a fork to check, and remove it (if there is no sign of additional steam coming out) to make absolutely certain.
Ah, thanks much for the clarification.

Gertrudes said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Ha, me too! Ma had this old thing that whistled and smoke/steam came out and I thought it was like a dragon! Another one of the things that made me nervous about cooking. ;)

Same here! Although our pressure cooker had something broken and it would often "explode" unexpectedly. It was terrifying! All these years and I'm still recovering from that :D

Laura said:
Don't be afraid of pressure cookers, but DO respect them! A good, stainless steel pressure cooker, like the modern ones, is a real time and nutrient saver in the kitchen. You can do in one hour what previously took all day PLUS retain the nutrients.

Yeah....I know you're right, I'm mulling over this idea.

I have this model:

_http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/site/images/landings/winter/01.jpg

bought right after reading Laura's comments on buy a pressure cooker, 1-2 years ago. Stainless steel. Look for a model that does not have plastic parts inside the cooking area. Only steel parts ought be allowed to minimize toxin release. It only has a silicone rubber ring for insulation.

The cover is held in place by metal arc/plates seamlessly extruding from it and the pots top edge: can be closed only by turning the top part 90 degrees on the pot so the top's metal plates slide under the cover's metal plates. It seems hardly explodable. Never had any accidents with it, except rice and lentils, where foam and bree got out from the safety valve in copious amounts.

Never looked back to traditional hours long pot cooking, pressure cooked food tastes much richer. After switching off the stove i always leave it there for the soup to cool down and "boil" further a little inside. For an hour, then check on it, if the red pressure-valve fell down already, signalling that there is no pressure in the cooker. Also if the top part's manual steam release can be pushed to the "open" setting easily, it shows as well, there is no pressure. Of course, this is after 1 hour of cooling.

Today I filled it with one whole big part of pig and whole part chicken breast - fleshy pig parts cut to 0.5 cm thick slices, skin and everything left in, just washed down. Made 5-6 long cuts in the chicken breast to allow the boiling soup access the inside. 20 minutes cooking and everything got tender, one rib bone fell out from the pig meat.

Thank you Laura for the tip how to begin pressure cook frozen meat! Will try next time.

[/quote]

Hi forge,

I have erased your two similar posts just before your last one.

As you know, you can edit your post and modify it when you want to correct something. ;)

Gandalf said:
Hi forge,

I have erased your two similar posts just before your last one.

As you know, you can edit your post and modify it when you want to correct something. ;)

Sorry, I posted on an old monitor with smaller resolution. Buttons are much smaller, must have clicked double. Thanks!

A long over due account of my diet this will be.
First, yesterday I had a colonoscopy at the hospital. For the last 6 month I suffered of rectoragie, lost of blood in my stool. I had a inflammation of the hemorrhoid but never had any pain or discomfort from it. So I thought that it may be due to the change in diet and adaptation to a low carbohydrate one. My stool were much harder and in smaller amount and I felt constipated sometime. Still, after catching on with this tread in August, I came upon IBS and what could cause it. Blood in stool was one of the symptom and that it could be caused by polyps in the colon. It didn't need more to call my doctor and get a appointment.

From it, came within a week a colonoscopy at the hospital and the result is that they didn't find cancerous cells but, confirmed my inflammation of the hemorrhoids but also, Diverticulosis in the colon. I didn't talk to the doctor who did the colonoscopy after it, all I got is the result that I have to give my doctor. It said that the colonoscopy was difficult, that it stopped after 40 cm. Not much else is on the paper so I have to wait till October the 5th to see my doctor and know more about it.

Since I never had any symptom other than the blood in my stool, no pain in the abdomen or others, I let it go under the rug thinking that is was just my stool that was irritating my hemorrhoids. Now reading about the cause of this infection, it is probably due to my over consumption of meat and not enough fiber. Since last October, I started to eat meat at breakfast to raise my fat intake thus, lowering my fiber. I was gluten free for more than a years but still ate cereals with quinoa and fruit every morning. Salad for lunch I ate often and always vegies for dinner. Lowering my carbs to follow the diet, I dropped the nut last spring and that was probably good since the symptoms lessened but also dropped fruit and slowly dropped buckwheat, quinoa and starchy veggies gradually.

I didn't go on an all out paleo diet, I first thought that raising gradually my fat consumption would be better for me since I was never a fat eater and thought that my liver needed some time to adjust. I ate daily pâté de foie and it sure helped but kept to much meat, protein in each meal. Since I was losing weight when I got to 70gr. of carbs per day last spring early summer, and don't have any to loose, I did eat more fruit this summer mostly berries. As well, ate a lot of salad for lunch and the symptom diminished. I started taking colostrum, L-Glutamine, potassium and milk thistle 3 weeks ago as I lowered my carbs under 50gr a day and to under 30 this week. Since then, I had no more lost of blood in my stool but still, I need to adjust my diet with more fiber and definitely lower my protein.

From what I have read so far at 60 kilo, I should lower my protein, meat, to 60 gr a day. I never thought that I could do it fast but with the result of the colonoscopy, there is no other way to go for me. I will eat more foundation vegies but should I had fruit as well and maybe buckwheat for a time. Should I kept going on a 30 gr of carbs a day or raise it for a short period to help my fiber consomption and help heal my colon.

Last night I got a mild fever and felt pain in my right leg. It woke me up around 2:30 am til 3:30am so I took potassium and omega 3 and the pain was almost gone as I woke up this morning. I was scared that it may be due to an infection due to the colonoscopy, that it may have damaged the colon and caused an infection and I sure don't want to get peritonitis. I fell like I 'm walking on eggs since yesterday.

I restarted taking daily omega-3, vit. C and D, magnesium and alpha lipoics at the same time I started on the colostrum and others supplement 3 weeks ago.

Laurentien said:
A long over due account of my diet this will be.
First, yesterday I had a colonoscopy at the hospital. For the last 6 month I suffered of rectoragie, lost of blood in my stool. I had a inflammation of the hemorrhoid but never had any pain or discomfort from it. So I thought that it may be due to the change in diet and adaptation to a low carbohydrate one. My stool were much harder and in smaller amount and I felt constipated sometime. Still, after catching on with this tread in August, I came upon IBS and what could cause it. Blood in stool was one of the symptom and that it could be caused by polyps in the colon. It didn't need more to call my doctor and get a appointment.

From it, came within a week a colonoscopy at the hospital and the result is that they didn't find cancerous cells but, confirmed my inflammation of the hemorrhoids but also, Diverticulosis in the colon. I didn't talk to the doctor who did the colonoscopy after it, all I got is the result that I have to give my doctor. It said that the colonoscopy was difficult, that it stopped after 40 cm. Not much else is on the paper so I have to wait till October the 5th to see my doctor and know more about it.

Since I never had any symptom other than the blood in my stool, no pain in the abdomen or others, I let it go under the rug thinking that is was just my stool that was irritating my hemorrhoids. Now reading about the cause of this infection, it is probably due to my over consumption of meat and not enough fiber. Since last October, I started to eat meat at breakfast to raise my fat intake thus, lowering my fiber. I was gluten free for more than a years but still ate cereals with quinoa and fruit every morning. Salad for lunch I ate often and always vegies for dinner. Lowering my carbs to follow the diet, I dropped the nut last spring and that was probably good since the symptoms lessened but also dropped fruit and slowly dropped buckwheat, quinoa and starchy veggies gradually.

I didn't go on an all out paleo diet, I first thought that raising gradually my fat consumption would be better for me since I was never a fat eater and thought that my liver needed some time to adjust. I ate daily pâté de foie and it sure helped but kept to much meat, protein in each meal. Since I was losing weight when I got to 70gr. of carbs per day last spring early summer, and don't have any to loose, I did eat more fruit this summer mostly berries. As well, ate a lot of salad for lunch and the symptom diminished. I started taking colostrum, L-Glutamine, potassium and milk thistle 3 weeks ago as I lowered my carbs under 50gr a day and to under 30 this week. Since then, I had no more lost of blood in my stool but still, I need to adjust my diet with more fiber and definitely lower my protein.

From what I have read so far at 60 kilo, I should lower my protein, meat, to 60 gr a day. I never thought that I could do it fast but with the result of the colonoscopy, there is no other way to go for me. I will eat more foundation vegies but should I had fruit as well and maybe buckwheat for a time. Should I kept going on a 30 gr of carbs a day or raise it for a short period to help my fiber consomption and help heal my colon.

Last night I got a mild fever and felt pain in my right leg. It woke me up around 2:30 am til 3:30am so I took potassium and omega 3 and the pain was almost gone as I woke up this morning. I was scared that it may be due to an infection due to the colonoscopy, that it may have damaged the colon and caused an infection and I sure don't want to get peritonitis. I fell like I 'm walking on eggs since yesterday.

I restarted taking daily omega-3, vit. C and D, magnesium and alpha lipoics at the same time I started on the colostrum and others supplement 3 weeks ago.

Hi Laurentien,

I am sorry to hear about your situation, i hope you get better soon .

May I ask what kind of veggies you were prefering at most for dinner ?

Laurentien said:

What instructions did you get from the doctor to prepare for the colonoscopy?

Laurentien said:
Since I never had any symptom other than the blood in my stool, no pain in the abdomen or others, I let it go under the rug thinking that is was just my stool that was irritating my hemorrhoids. Now reading about the cause of this infection, it is probably due to my over consumption of meat and not enough fiber.

Not likely, do some research on the topic. It sounds like you have had a problem for a long time and the change in diet merely exposed it due to the change in gut bacteria (possibly).

Diverticulosis is something that takes awhile to develop. One is generally told "Although not proven, the dominant theory is that a low-fiber diet causes diverticular disease. The disease was first noticed in the United States in the early 1900s, around the time processed foods were introduced into the American diet. Consumption of processed foods greatly reduced Americans’ fiber intake."

However, what is the case is that the increase in diverticular disease goes hand in hand with fat and meat reduction and increase of grains and veggies. And since you don't eat processed foods...

Notice that they also say "Diverticular disease is common in developed or industrialized countries—particularly the United States, England, and Australia—where low-fiber diets are consumed. The disease is rare in Asia and Africa, where most people eat high-fiber diets."

This is completely untrue. The relationship is to lowered fat and meat and higher grains and veggies while, in Asia and Africa, they eat more meat and fat.

The general recommendations of the mainstream are to eat more fiber. However, you might want to read "Fiber Menace" and consider Atriedes' experience with nearly losing his colon due to the increase in fiber. The only thing that works for him is JUST meat and fat. Nothing else. He has been eating that for 8 months now and swears by it. If he slips and eats a bite or two of veggies, he's in pain and misery.

Laurentien said:
Since last October, I started to eat meat at breakfast to raise my fat intake thus, lowering my fiber. I was gluten free for more than a years but still ate cereals with quinoa and fruit every morning. Salad for lunch I ate often and always vegies for dinner. Lowering my carbs to follow the diet, I dropped the nut last spring and that was probably good since the symptoms lessened but also dropped fruit and slowly dropped buckwheat, quinoa and starchy veggies gradually.

I think that gradually raising your fat was your mistake. You need a lot of fat to keep things moving. You must have gotten constipated due to not enough fat and not enough irritation from the reduced fiber, and the strain may have hurt your colon.

Laurentien said:
I didn't go on an all out paleo diet, I first thought that raising gradually my fat consumption would be better for me since I was never a fat eater and thought that my liver needed some time to adjust.

Funny that people think they are raising their fat when they are still not eating anywhere near enough. There is a significant fat phobia. You have just described exactly the wrong way to go about the process, obviously.

Laurentien said:
I ate daily pâté de foie and it sure helped but kept to much meat, protein in each meal.

Obviously, not enough fat according to the experts.

Laurentien said:
Since I was losing weight when I got to 70gr. of carbs per day last spring early summer, and don't have any to loose, I did eat more fruit this summer mostly berries.

Mistake: insoluble fiber AND insulin spikes. Very bad for the colon.

Laurentien said:
As well, ate a lot of salad for lunch and the symptom diminished. I started taking colostrum, L-Glutamine, potassium and milk thistle 3 weeks ago as I lowered my carbs under 50gr a day and to under 30 this week. Since then, I had no more lost of blood in my stool but still, I need to adjust my diet with more fiber and definitely lower my protein.

What you have now is a bit of evidence of healing, but you clearly need more fat and less fiber, IMO.

Laurentien said:

If you want to heal your damaged colon, eat veal and pork, nothing else, plenty of fat - at least half as much fat as protein. Don't lower your protein now. Eat liver - not pate - real liver. That's what I'd be doing based on seeing how miraculously it works.

Laurentien said:

Sounds fine, IMO.

You really messed yourself up by not understanding fully what the whole process is about. I suggest you read this entire thread AND the books in question.

truth seeker said:
Laura said:
truth seeker said:
For what it's worth, my dad has always had one in the house so I feel pretty comfortable with them. Perhaps other have done it differently but I believe that if the meat isn't done sufficiently, it can be turned on again. As stated, one should really respect this tool when using it. If you wait after turning off the heat until it completely stops whistling, it should be fine. Technically, the lid should not be able to come off while the pressure is releasing so there should be no chance of injury but if it makes you more comfortable, give it half an hour to be sure.

No, when it "stops whistling", it is still not yet cool enough to open. Even if the jiggler is still, there can still be pressure which is why you must lift it with a fork to check, and remove it (if there is no sign of additional steam coming out) to make absolutely certain.
Ah, thanks much for the clarification.

To add something, I was before also really afraid of pressure cookers, but got one last year and since then, before other mayor diet changes I used to cook with it every day, and the pressure is a pleasure. ;)

Most modern cookers are pretty easy to use, one-handed, with timers integrated, folding down handles and added steamer etc. and have also signs on it, when the cooker can be opened and further security things, that it can only be opened when the pressure is gone.

Thanks truth seeker and Laura, I will try to cook without browning and see how it turns out. The method I use, following the instructions, is to lock the lid, turn the heat up to max, until the jiggler gets jiggly. Then I turn down the heat to the point the jiggler just emits a faint and constant hiss of steam. The timing starts after that. I'm using a futura: _http://www.hawkinscookers.com/1.1.2.futuraHA.asp, one of those fancy ones which seems to have a higher pressure rating than usual. I don't know, but maybe that is why it turns out bad if I cook too long (which is usually not really that long, just a few minutes more than recommended). Maybe I'm just afraid of ruining my meat. Always a bit anxious since I can't see what's going on inside :P I clearly haven't mastered the art.

3 days before: - no grains and nut
- no fruit and vegetable uncook
- no breads or cereals

Apart from salad and fruit nothing else I was eating anyway.

The day before: - breakfast without fiber
- after the breakfast no more solid aliments
- No dairy product
- No colored liquid red or purple
- Drink a lot of clear liquid ( All there suggestion was no way for me except broth and water. I did a broth with soup bone, with marrow).
- At least a cup of water per hour.

At super the day before, -10 mg of Bisacodyl
- 16.1 g of Pico-Salac ( contain 10 mg. of picosulfate, magnesium oxide3.5 g and citric acid 12g)

Before bed, another 16.1g of Pico-Salac

The general recommendations of the mainstream are to eat more fiber. However, you might want to read "Fiber Menace" and consider Atriedes' experience with nearly losing his colon due to the increase in fiber. The only thing that works for him is JUST meat and fat. Nothing else. He has been eating that for 8 months now and swears by it. If he slips and eats a bite or two of veggies, he's in pain and misery.

I will get the book and I did remember Atreides experience last year and how he went on a all fat and meat diet. I ate meat and fat since yesterday after the colonoscopy added some broccoli,onion and cauliflower fry in coconut oil today with the meal. Yesterday I ate for lunch a paleo sausage, 1 egg cook in the fat and last night a pork shoulder with a lot of fat on it and only one piece of carrot.

I think that gradually raising your fat was your mistake. You need a lot of fat to keep things moving. You must have gotten constipated due to not enough fat and not enough irritation from the reduced fiber, and the strain may have hurt your colon.

Funny that people think they are raising their fat when they are still not eating anywhere near enough. There is a significant fat phobia. You have just described exactly the wrong way to go about the process, obviously.

Yes, I was raise a fat "phobian" and sure need to read more and understand more and hope to get the time to do so.

I ate daily pâté de foie and it sure helped but kept to much meat, protein in each meal.

Obviously, not enough fat according to the experts.

The paté is 50% pig fat, I use the flank now instead of lard as it as more fat and pork we eat sometime 3 time a day. I dropped the beef as it as not enough fat but ate more pork and duck and lamb. Last week I use fillet mignon that I have frozen to do my pemmican as it is useless otherwise. I do eat a lot of fat but probably as you said not reducing the meat ratio and carbs enought did it for me.

If you want to heal your damaged colon, eat veal and pork, nothing else, plenty of fat - at least half as much fat as protein. Don't lower your protein now. Eat liver - not pate - real liver. That's what I'd be doing based on seeing how miraculously it works.

What kind of liver do you suggest, Laura. As for the diet, I will go 0 carb and 0 fiber if necessary.

Pete said:
Edit: It appears there is another manufacturer that makes BPA free plastic lids. Their name is Tattler. So I suppose i can still order the Ball jars and just pay extra to get the BPA free lids as well but is it really any safer being plastic? And my other concern was if they would hold their seal as well as the metal ones.

I didn't have good luck with them as opposed to regular Ball lids. See this post.

Posté par: un chien anadolu
« le: Aujourd'hui à 02:35:58 pm »
Hi Laurentien,

I am sorry to hear about your situation, i hope you get better soon .

May I ask what kind of veggies you were prefering at most for dinner ?

Thank for the good word, un chien anadolu.
I ate broccoli, cauliflower,onion and zucchini mostly fry in coconut oil or steamed. But even when steamed, I often will put them in a pan and fry it in duck fat before serving.

Laurentien said:

- no breads or cereals

And what is left? Basically, meat. Did this tell you anything??? That's when the big enlightenment happened for me: when the doctor told us that what actually CLEANS the colon and makes it visible is NO FIBER.

So we pinned him down about they whys... and he admitted that fiber IRRITATES the colon.

However, he could NOT let go of the "oh, you have to have fiber after you get well" idea. But we had already seen through the scam.

Laurentien said:

I will get the book and I did remember Atreides experience last year and how he went on a all fat and meat diet. I ate meat and fat since yesterday after the colonoscopy added some broccoli,onion and cauliflower fry in coconut oil today with the meal. Yesterday I ate for lunch a paleo sausage, 1 egg cook in the fat and last night a pork shoulder with a lot of fat on it and only one piece of carrot.

Please listen: ditch the fiber. ALL of it. Until you are healed. Even a mouthful can set off Atriedes condition and he starts bleeding again. Obviously, his condition is a lot worse than yours because he was going to the bathroom 12 or more times a day and mostly blood. And horrible pain. And all cleared up with just meat. He did have to be careful with the fat at first, but he gradually increased it to now he eats at least as much fat as pure protein, if not slightly more.

Laurentien said:

What kind of liver do you suggest, Laura. As for the diet, I will go 0 carb and 0 fiber if necessary.

Calves liver, chicken livers, goose livers but no beef liver - it's generally yucky. If you want to make a pate and blend it with fat, use lard or ghee.

For awhile, you may need to go 0 carbs and 0 fiber because that is what Atriedes had to do. In fact, he NOW much sticks to it faithfully after a couple of disastrous experiments with green beans and broccoli. He says "I have a list. On that list there is bacon and pork chops and pork ribs and pork roast. I don't eat anything that is not on the list." And he sticks to it. He's learned by very, VERY painful and almost immediate reactions, that an ill colon does NOT need any fiber or carbs.

Posté par: Laura
« le: Aujourd'hui à 06:17:32 am »

* Citer ce message

- no breads or cereals

And what is left? Basically, meat. Did this tell you anything??? That's when the big enlightenment happened for me: when the doctor told us that what actually CLEANS the colon and makes it visible is NO FIBER.

So we pinned him down about they whys... and he admitted that fiber IRRITATES the colon.

However, he could NOT let go of the "oh, you have to have fiber after you get well" idea. But we had already seen through the scam.

Yes it did and I said so to my wife. After the intervention, I had only meat and fat in my meals but added some fiber the next morning and for lunch. Last night was only fat and meat, the pain felt in the colon yesterday was almost all gone by the time I did my breathing exercise, did not bother me. This morning I had a cup of hot water with a spoon full of coconut oil instead of tea, to help to move things down. I haven't had bowel movement yet since the colonoscopy.

Please listen: ditch the fiber. ALL of it. Until you are healed.

No worry Laura, I did and will stick to it. I'm going fat and meat only. Funny, yesterday my wife had a talk with one of her employee. She had the same problem as me Diverticulosis and she needed a operation. The doctor told her that it was probably her diet whom consisted of high fiber and low fat that triggered it. He told her to drop the fiber and to eat more meat and fat.

For awhile, you may need to go 0 carbs and 0 fiber because that is what Atriedes had to do. In fact, he NOW much sticks to it faithfully after a couple of disastrous experiments with green beans and broccoli. He says "I have a list. On that list there is bacon and pork chops and pork ribs and pork roast. I don't eat anything that is not on the list." And he sticks to it. He's learned by very, VERY painful and almost immediate reactions, that an ill colon does NOT need any fiber or carbs.

Atreide condition was much severe, I didn't know how bat it was. I will follow is example, will make a list of my own and stick to it.

Many thanks, Laura. :hug:
I will start reading PBPM today and hopefully, I will understand more on this subject.

Success!! Yesterday I told myself that I was permitted to get chocolate ice cream if I wanted due to female hormonal cycle habit,
but as I was looking at the ice cream in the supermarket I realized I didn't want it, -I mean not only that I could do without it, but not a single little craving left in me for anything sweet tasting.

This is very new to me, and I'm pretty amazed...one thing is to hear other people report it, but it is another thing to experience it!
I didn't really believe that I would ever say no to chocolate ice cream without at least feeling sad or that I was missing out on the good things in life, and then it just happened :wizard:

Still not through reading diet threads, but I think I'm fairly close to the diet, as I'm mostly eating meat and fat. I've had no problems since the getting sick after the coconut fat, I haven't cooked with coconut fat since that incident, but have eaten plenty of pigs fat.

Just wanted to share this :)

Back
Top Bottom