"Life Without Bread"

I used to be a bread addict. I couldn't sleep at night if there was no bread in the house. I'd get out of bed and go to the all nite deli to buy some so I could be sure to have toast in the morning. I started the South Beach Diet and had such good results low carbing that eventually I decided my body didn't need grains at all so I quit them completely. Just the freedom from cravings alone would have been worth it, but in addition I've experienced increased energy, decreased weight, vastly improved blood tests, my asthama seems to be gone and I have a new feeling of overall wellbeing. I too view grains as poisons now and have no desire for them whatsoever.

Leonore41 said:
I used to be a bread addict. I couldn't sleep at night if there was no bread in the house. I'd get out of bed and go to the all nite deli to buy some so I could be sure to have toast in the morning. I started the South Beach Diet and had such good results low carbing that eventually I decided my body didn't need grains at all so I quit them completely. Just the freedom from cravings alone would have been worth it, but in addition I've experienced increased energy, decreased weight, vastly improved blood tests, my asthama seems to be gone and I have a new feeling of overall wellbeing. I too view grains as poisons now and have no desire for them whatsoever.

Your experience is similar to those of many of us on this forum. Only positive outcomes from eliminating grains entirely. All sorts of ailments AND cravings disappear. But the optimal diet has been found to be high saturated animal fat and no to very low carbs. Most calories consumed is from fat -- up to 70 to 80% -- and moderate protein.

Many of us eat almost exclusively pork and organ meats -- grass-fed is best. There's lots of details in this and other threads on this Diet and Health board.

Oxajil said:
Well, I've been doing a bit of reading on some controversy on the benefits of cacao. Cacao seems to contain many kinds of toxins (it comes from a bean, after all) and there is some difference in opinion whether fermentation really helps. Also notice that it contains caffeine, and some other substances, that could be harmful.

Adding to what Oxajil mentioned, cacao/cocoa is also very high in carbohydrates.

Hi Guys .

I agree with what I have read as I skimmed the surface of some of the posts . For myself I have always thought that I had a fairly healthy diet but what I found was that I seemingly became sensitive to certain foods as to like bread, pasta etc . As I was chewing certain foods and the taste (although) was pleasing to my senses I was feeling rather odd also at the same time as If something wasn’t quite right with It . All refined / modified foods are a no go (hey) .

I have a limited diet now which I feel like for many others here on this site have been guided to do so . A spirit guide mentioned buckwheat to me so when I have read others mentioning this also It raised a smile Indeed .

I think an old saying that some live to eat where others eat to live Is a good evaluation for Individuals to make .

x dazzle x

For those looking for fresh mints, I found this to be a good one: _http://www.peppersmith.co.uk/our-fresh-mints

They use xylitol taken from trees, rather than corn.

Added: Actually, never mind. I see that it contains calcium stearate, which is toxic...

Egg noodles are made with wheat and eggs. All grains should be entirely eliminated and eggs are problematic for many people and should be eliminated and then tested.

oh my.

yes, i now realize that most egg-noodle manufacturers use wheat.

is there any other type of noodle that would be recommended then ?

transientP said:

None that I know. I wonder, why not simply get over giving up such unnatural foods and have some good meat?

And as a temporary substitute suggestion, ground meat fried in butter or ghee can - if it was squeezed into strings when ground - feel very "noodly", and also be satisfying - as a food both tasty and real - on a wholly different level.

EDIT: Well, I guess there you actually have it - meat "noodles"!

Laura said:
Step five, day 41: Stop coffee; you can have green or black or mint teas. Gradually reduce the quantity of vegetables that you eat and fill the gap with meat and meat fats. This means that if you eat a piece of meat, it should have almost as much fat on it as lean. You can eat as much meat as you want, but be sparing with vegetables, giving preference to cooked ones over raw.

I have a question pertaining to the above ...

Nora Gedgaudas says that one shouldn't eat more than 25 g of protein per meal, as otherwise the mTOR systems gets activated (which is the "insulin" on the protein side).

This means that I have to limit my amount of meat that I am eating every meal (or eggs). I have done that in recent months, and I have substituted the protein with fat - which is not very easy to do (it basically means eating 50 g of butter with every meal ...). I don't have a big problem with this per se - it just is pretty "antisocial" and I am creating raised eyebrows everywhere.

So what is your take on that?

nicklebleu said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. I do 24 grams protein just in case, taking account the little amount of protein in veggies. And I do around 50 grams of beef tallow or lard as well. Fwiw.

nicklebleu said:
... and I have substituted the protein with fat - which is not very easy to do (it basically means eating 50 g of butter with every meal ...). I don't have a big problem with this per se - it just is pretty "antisocial" and I am creating raised eyebrows everywhere.

Join the club - enjoy the ride, it sure leads to some interesting conversations! :)

I think protein restriction should only be tried out after a considerable period on the Paleo diet so that your body has had time to really adjust and all systems are in good working order.

transientP said:
Egg noodles are made with wheat and eggs. All grains should be entirely eliminated and eggs are problematic for many people and should be eliminated and then tested.

oh my.

yes, i now realize that most egg-noodle manufacturers use wheat.

No noodles. Period.

Eat a pork chop and a half sweet potato with butter, or a small portion of steamed green beans with butter. Once your body really begins to get nourished, you won't even want the noodles anymore.

Oxajil said:
For those looking for fresh mints, I found this to be a good one: _http://www.peppersmith.co.uk/our-fresh-mints

They use xylitol taken from trees, rather than corn.

Added: Actually, never mind. I see that it contains calcium stearate, which is toxic...

On a related note, I buy Xylitol from Swanson's and it is from birch trees and not from corn. Just FYI, if people are looking for a source that's not from corn. I'm sure there are other sources too, but Swanson's is one of the few that delivers to my country.

about the noodles,

thanks guys !

i've given up bread entirely and now weening myself off of anything wheat.
the less i eat it, the less i want it.

What could be done though, as a helper in order to transit away from noodles, is to make an omelette, and cut it in thin slices; and then mix it with whatever else one is having to eat. True egg noodles, in other words.

liffy said:
What could be done though, as a helper in order to transit away from noodles, is to make an omelette, and cut it in thin slices; and then mix it with whatever else one is having to eat. True egg noodles, in other words.

The only problem with making an omelete is that you have to break the egg yolks, which causes oxidation. tansientP, I would highly recommend reading Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas. She gives various suggestions for different supplements that can help with the transition to a no- or low-carb diet, depending on the cause of one's carb addiction.

Back
Top Bottom