"Life Without Bread"

I've heard of Mexican Mole sauce where one of the ingredients is chocolate. I think it's supposed to go with meat, the recipe that I saw it in was Chicken Mole.

transientP said:
Gawan,

I did an experiments with the Chocolate mousse and just added it to normal meat and well, it tastes delicious.

wait a minute... WHAT ?
:)

how do you add chocolate mousse to meat ?
this sounds like something i would like to try.

I think Gawan is saying he's added chocolate to his diet of just meat. I could be wrong, of course. Pretty funny , though :lol:

dugdeep said:
transientP said:
Gawan,

I did an experiments with the Chocolate mousse and just added it to normal meat and well, it tastes delicious.

wait a minute... WHAT ?

I think Gawan is saying he's added chocolate to his diet of just meat. I could be wrong, of course. Pretty funny , though :lol:

Yeah that's it. :P I put the mousse just on top of the meat, like a sauce.

It is not that uncommon as it sounds, a friend posted a picture a while back on FB (see below) and I kept this idea in my mind and so I just tried it.

Attachments

• chocolate-bacon.jpg
    chocolate-bacon.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
beetlemaniac said:
I've heard of Mexican Mole sauce where one of the ingredients is chocolate. I think it's supposed to go with meat, the recipe that I saw it in was Chicken Mole.

Yes, among 107 ingredients more, principally chocolate and chili. But here chili, must be eliminated.

Never had come to my mind using just chocolate!!! I had not seen the recipe of the mousse, but It would be interesting to marinate the chicken, turkey other kind of meat along with species (like those mentioned in DCM) using lard to fry them or it can be prepared like a sauce.

I am going to try it this week :D

Gawan said:
dugdeep said:
transientP said:
Gawan,

wait a minute... WHAT ?

Yeah that's it. :P I put the mousse just on top of the meat, like a sauce.

It is not that uncommon as it sounds, a friend posted a picture a while back on FB (see below) and I kept this idea in my mind and so I just tried it.

LOL at that pic. Talk about making money out of false science! They're doing it the other way around.. crazy world.

RedFox said:
Intersting because the same thing seemed to be happening to me, it got to the point where I couldn't eat more than (the equivalent of) two slices of bacon for breakfast/lunch/evening meal.

The same has been happening to me for the last 2 weeks, it seems I have lost my appetite. The pig still tastes good, but I would prefer if I didn't have to eat at all, and I'm feeling full after a few bites, (am eating lots of fat too, putting lard or butter on the meat if it isn't as fatty as bacon)

I can loose some more weight before getting too skinny, so it is not a problem, but it seems to have happened at the same time as you and others have reported.

Laura said:
I'm experiencing the same thing... serious reduction in appetite. As I wrote some posts back, I wonder if that is related in any way to that passage about squirrels in one of the books I cited earlier. That so much of what goes on with our body is seasonal. It may be responding to light duration and temperature. And it may be better able to do this when it has the correct diet. After all, bears hibernate all winter and eat nothing at all for several months - just sleep. Well, we aren't bears, but there could be something related to that. ?

Usually I start eating more in the winter, as if to get fatter to protect from the cold, or like I need more energy to stand the cold, so this is not a normal thing for me.

From "Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal":

One argument put forward to explain why odd bits aren’t popular in the kitchens of the English-speaking world is that we don’t appreciate their taste and texture. This is nonsense. Sausages and puddings made with intestines stuffed with mixtures of blood, liver, lungs, heart, marrow, brains, and tongues then simmered in stews were part of the Early English diet. They were not perhaps gourmet treats, but with the arrival of the Normans in 1066, the range of odd bits used and the methods of cooking them became more varied and sophisticated. Liver, giblets, and sweetbreads along with testicles, tripe, palates, and cockscombs graced the royal table. King Henry II feasted on boar’s head and the Elizabethans enjoyed bird tongues. Later, Hannah Glasse described how to cook ox tongue and udders and how to stuff a calf’s head in her Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy (1747).

[...]

The US government has also helped create and reinforce prejudices against odd bits by banning some of them from sale for human consumption, notably lungs and blood. In Europe both can be purchased from a butcher, and in some countries blood is available in the supermarket. Other, temporary bans, such as the removal from sale of oxtail, brains, marrow, and sweetbreads during the outbreak of mad cow disease (BSE), have further stigmatized odd bits. It is interesting to note that if we had allowed our cattle to graze instead of feeding them ground up animals, the ban wouldn’t have been necessary.

At the same time as farming was being industrialized, the food supply chain was being centralized. Supermarkets became our prime source for food, and small food shops, notably independent butchers shops, closed. Without someone to recommend a cut, save us a set of brains, brine a tongue, or share and odd bits recipe, we were left to our own devices. Even the most informed shopper must rely on the advice of experts, but supermarkets rarely provide any skilled personnel to help us shop, and they don’t employ butchers, as the meat arrives precut. This is also the situation in some of the remaining butcher shops, where there are no real butchers left: they’ve been replaced by meat slicers. We are all easily seduced by the convenience of buying everything in one place, but with no one to ask, and less and less knowledge of oour own, it is hard for us to make good choices.

We don’t, and often can’t, use our sense of smell or touch. Even our common sense leaves us, and we shop by price and appearance, believing these are more important than taste.

Our supermarkets prefer uniform foods that look good on their shelves, and as a result numerous apple and tomato varieties that didn’t fit these parameters have vanished. Odd bits are also victims of this need for durability and perfection, as many of them are extremely fragile and require careful handling. They cannot linger in the supermarket or in the consumer’s refrigerator, and few of them could be described as photogenic morsels.

Our growing distaste for linking the meat we cook with the animal it came from has badly hurt off bits’ popularity: some odd bits, like the head, tongue, or heart, instantly remind shoppers they are buying a part of a dead animal – something the dismembered, plastic-wrapped supermarket meat does not do. With loss of knowledge and no one to guide us, we turn for help to the new ‘’experts’’: the government, meat processors, nutritionists, and even celebrities, and we rely on the health and nitritional claims on the package to make our choices.

So it seems that ''saturated fat is bad'' and ''high cholesterol is bad'' aren't the only programs being installed into us. There is another one called ''Odd bits, including animal blood, make a strange and unacceptable meal''.... Now more on animal blood:

From ''The Food Lover's Companion'':

Over the centuries people like the Mongolian warriors used animal blood as a source of food, often ingesting it fresh. Today, some Masai of Tanzania still follow this practice, ingesting blood for nutrition as they travel with their herds. Elsewhere, blood (primarily from pigs, cows, chickens and geese) is still used as a thickening agent in some dishes, such as blood sausage (also known as black pudding because of the dark color of cooked blood). Blood should never be boiled, or it will clot. A little vinegar keeps blood from clotting during storage. In winemaking, blood is used as a fining agent to help clear suspended particles and clarify the wine. Blood is usually available by special order through some butcher shops.

_http://www.natureslogic.com/pdf/faq.pdf

Continued research has found that [blood] plasma proteins:

• Improve the efficiency of dietary protein utilization
• Possibly reduces pathogen attachment and replication
• Helps to maintain gut barrier function
• Reduces local inflammation of the small intestine
• Reduces mucosal damage in the intestinal tract
• Helps maintain “tight” junctions of the intestine

The only research I could find was one that was done in China:

_http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-YYXX198802008.htm
EFFECTS OF ANIMAL BLOOD AND LIVER ON THE STATUS OF IRON NUTRITION IN PRESCHOOL CHILDREN
Huang Chengyu Zhang Maoyu Hong Junrong and Peng Shusheng (Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu)Tang Mingfang(The Kindergarten of the Commercial Department of Sichuan Province) Su Yingxiong

In the present article the effects of animal blood and liver on the status of iron nutrition in preschool children were studied.71 apparently normal children in a kindergarten, aged 3-7 years, were selected for feeding trial. All of them were undergone physical examination to verify the absence of hookworm infestation and chronic diseases, but having a bit lower hemoglobin concentration (Hb12g/dl).The children were assigned by randomized block according to their age into three groups:Group A--fed on diet containing animal blood and liver;Group B--fed on diet like group A plus 100 mg ascorbic acid per day;Group C--fed on diet like group A, but containing corresponding protein foods instead of animal blood and liver, namely control group.Feeding trial was carried out from Monday to Friday per week for 10 weeks.Results indicated that the increments of height, hemoglobin concentration and serum transferrin and the decrement of free erythrocyte porphyri-nes of the two experimental groups were statistically significantly greater than those of the control group.From the above results and our previous findings it was concluded that the use of the foods rich in iron being higher availability, such as animal blood and liver, was an acceptable and effective approach for long to prevent children from afflicting with the iron deficient anaemia.

And I was thinking, since animal blood contains great levels of iron, I think it would be especially a nice food source for menstruating women.

Also interesting is that most religions prohibit animal blood as food (now why would that be??). See here as an example.

Further, the C's said the following:

A: You know the saying: Only through the shedding of blood is there remission of sins?

Q: (L) Yes.

A: And what about: Take eat, this is my body?

Q: (L) Yes.

A: And: Take, drink, this is my blood?

Q: (L) Yes. (Burma) So it sounds like they're saying that there's a hidden thing in the whole resurrection or salvation by the blood thing. That agriculture is evil and we could return by going on an animal-based diet?

A: No not exactly. When humankind "fell" into gross matter, a way was needed to return. This way simply is a manifestation of the natural laws. Consciousness must "eat" also. This is a natural function of the life giving nature of the environment in balance. The Earth is the Great Mother who gives her body, literally, in the form of creatures with a certain level of consciousness for the sustenance of her children of the cosmos. This is the original meaning of those sayings.

Q: (L) So, eating flesh also means eating consciousness which accumulates, I'm assuming is what is being implied here, or what feeds our consciousness so that it grows in step with our bodies? Is that close?

A: Close enough.

To me it seems that animal blood is a nutritious food, and this knowledge seems to have been lost to us. And I wish I had some more data on this. For those who are interested, you can do some Google searches or get some books on blood dishes, or recipes (or odd-bits recipes). I think it's important that the blood comes from grass-fed pork (read somewhere that pork blood seemed best for human consumption). But if you really can't, I think organic would do. (That is, if purchasing blood or blood products is even possible in your area...) FWIW

To me it seems that animal blood is a nutritious food, and this knowledge seems to have been lost to us. And I wish I had some more data on this. For those who are interested, you can do some Google searches or get some books on blood dishes, or recipes (or odd-bits recipes). I think it's important that the blood comes from grass-fed pork (read somewhere that pork blood seemed best for human consumption). But if you really can't, I think organic would do. (That is, if purchasing blood or blood products is even possible in your area...) FWIW

In fact, in my homeland it is very widespread to make a pancake with the pork blood. Of course this animals were rose in our own houses because
in my village everyone own a plot of land.It is a very appreciated an popular food.

Oxajil said:

Is interesting, although many times "buts" get in the middle … what is working for me lately with certain foods is that I give me an opportunity to try them again... I used to like moronga (Black pudding or blood sausage) with lemon and salt tasted delicious until I knew what was made from (blood and other things) ... for more than 15 years I did not ate it... I had already try it again and mind noises, programs? (vampiristic images and such) do not interfered.

Similar experience happend with the chicken marinated with chocolate I tried this week. At first, it taste … interesting?, then once you passed the program that chocolate=sweet, it taste much much better. In fact I think I will use cocoa more often in salty foods. What I noticed is that, marinated with cocoa, it came out quite juicy in the inside, chicken breast meat is usually dry.

The meat was really juicy. It surprised me!

I used chicken breast cut it in 1” slices, marinated for about two hours, in a mix of:
1 table spoon of cocoa
1 table spoon of sesame salt (sesame seeds + sea salt)
¼ tea spoon of pepper
Ginger and cinnamon about 1/5 tea spoon.
And around 1 cup of water.

…then fried it in pork lard, after it was sealed (cocoa change to dark color) I added more water and cooked it in low flame…I add a little more of extra sea salt while cooking…

Elisa said:
In fact, in my homeland it is very widespread to make a pancake with the pork blood. Of course this animals were rose in our own houses because
in my village everyone own a plot of land.It is a very appreciated an popular food.

Same here. I used to regularly eat cooked blooded since I was a child. I really liked it but, as with many other nourishing foods, it is becoming harder and harder to find it. I haven't eaten it in years now.

Funny how we came to see such things as blood and organ meat as gross, and highly processed food that in no way resembles anything natural as "clean" healthy food. Very disheartening.

mabar said:
Similar experience happend with the chicken marinated with chocolate I tried this week. At first, it taste … interesting?, then once you passed the program that chocolate=sweet, it taste much much better. In fact I think I will use cocoa more often in salty foods. What I noticed is that, marinated with cocoa, it came out quite juicy in the inside, chicken breast meat is usually dry.

I personally don't think it's very natural to eat meat with chocolate (not just speaking cultural wise, but ancestor wise).

mabar said:
The meat was really juicy. It surprised me!

I used chicken breast cut it in 1” slices, marinated for about two hours, in a mix of:
1 table spoon of cocoa
1 table spoon of sesame salt (sesame seeds + sea salt)
¼ tea spoon of pepper
Ginger and cinnamon about 1/5 tea spoon.
And around 1 cup of water.

…then fried it in pork lard, after it was sealed (cocoa change to dark color) I added more water and cooked it in low flame…I add a little more of extra sea salt while cooking…

Well, I've been doing a bit of reading on some controversy on the benefits of cacao. Cacao seems to contain many kinds of toxins (it comes from a bean, after all) and there is some difference in opinion whether fermentation really helps. Also notice that it contains caffeine, and some other substances, that could be harmful. Cacao butter on the other hand, doesn't contain these things, since it's pure fat basically.

I actually don't crave chocolate at all, but since everyone is eating it these days (holidays) I feel like I need to join everyone, but I keep postponing it, since I don't really wanna eat it. So I think I'll primarily use cacao butter to make a nice treat. Don't mean to say that cacao powder etc. is a no-no, but used moderately I think it's okay? Still reading up on it.

(Btw, you might want to be careful with adding seeds to your dishes) Fwiw.

i searched to see whether anyone had touched on the subject of egg-noodles here before, but couldn't find anything..

i've always loved pasta and wanted to recommend this to any pasta lovers here who are steering away from wheat/gluten.

you can use egg-noodles for any type of noodle dish instead of wheat pasta.

also, the egg noodles are much quicker and easier to prepare, most packs only need to be boiled for a few minutes.

(obviously, always check labels to see what different brands actually contain.)

Oxajil said:
Well, I've been doing a bit of reading on some controversy on the benefits of cacao. Cacao seems to contain many kinds of toxins (it comes from a bean, after all) and there is some difference in opinion whether fermentation really helps. Also notice that it contains caffeine, and some other substances, that could be harmful. Cacao butter on the other hand, doesn't contain these things, since it's pure fat basically.

I actually don't crave chocolate at all, but since everyone is eating it these days (holidays) I feel like I need to join everyone, but I keep postponing it, since I don't really wanna eat it. So I think I'll primarily use cacao butter to make a nice treat. Don't mean to say that cacao powder etc. is a no-no, but used moderately I think it's okay? Still reading up on it.

(Btw, you might want to be careful with adding seeds to your dishes) Fwiw.

Well... too bad, there is no cacao butter where I live (might be in the country but need to find where); I thougth (with the help of my great ignorance :P) that could have similar properties ... need to read more.

thanks

transientP said:
i searched to see whether anyone had touched on the subject of egg-noodles here before, but couldn't find anything..

i've always loved pasta and wanted to recommend this to any pasta lovers here who are steering away from wheat/gluten.

you can use egg-noodles for any type of noodle dish instead of wheat pasta.

also, the egg noodles are much quicker and easier to prepare, most packs only need to be boiled for a few minutes.

(obviously, always check labels to see what different brands actually contain.)

Egg noodles are made with wheat and eggs. All grains should be entirely eliminated and eggs are problematic for many people and should be eliminated and then tested.

Back
Top Bottom