"Life Without Bread"

cassandra said:
Thanks for all the tips. My challenge for this year is to try the diet on the whole family. My husband works full-time, so I do the cooking. He says he wants to eat healthily, but that all things should be done in moderation. He doesn't get that gluten is harmful in the smallest amounts, and says he would rather eat tasty rather than healthy food, so I'm thinking I'd better deliver. And no, he doesn't want to read any of the articles. And he always adds butter and cream to my sauces.

You can add goose/duck fat, lard or ghee to sauces. Home made ghee is the cheapest option usually.
If he is not interested in reading, then he will likely not grasp how small amounts of gluten are harmful. At this point you should use external consideration - that is to say accept that this is his position and work from there.
To add taste you can use garlic, onion, celery, some herbs, and possibly even cocoa powder and xylitol. Adding diced bacon (or bacon bits/off cuts, if economy is an issue) is always good too.

cassandra said:
The trouble is, that a lot of the meals posted here seem a bit repetitive, so I don't hold out much hope that my family will follow suit.
They've been pretty disgusted a few times, if I'm being honest.

If they are disgusted then you are not acting out of external consideration for there position. They are most likely still in carb burning mode which means they will crave 'tasty' (inflaming) foods. They will also find fat disgusting.
Most of us here have taken many steps to reach this point on the diet, so if your family is to follow they need to take gradual steps too.

cassandra said:
Also, if I'm following the diet, but also catering for dairy, carbs, bread, etc, it will cost a fortune (though I plan on working a bit more) and put a lot of strain on my relationship. I'm not going to force the issue with my family, but do my best, and hope that I will radiate such good health and cheer, that all will be astonished. But it could well end in tears. I'm frankly terrified.

Then you are most likely operating out of fear....which will end in tears. External consideration is about making your life and everyones life around you strain free and easy. Act for your own destiny (and do the diet for yourself), and if your children are young enough you can do the diet for them too. The best you can do for your husband is act as an example (of someone following the diet)....but he needs to decide to follow it himself.
As to the cost, things can be easily economised with some creativity. If you are stuck and can't see how perhaps start another thread (in the swamp)?

It really does sound like you are going to quickly for your family (perhaps out of fear for there health - which is really just avoiding feeling the fear), and should slow down/stop and take a step back and apply external considering (and perhaps do some pipe breathing). You should not be forcing things upon them, especially from a position of fear....even if this means only you eating paleo while they eat bread.
You can of course refuse to buy/prepare the bread ;)

*edit to add*

How about preparing them a nice gluten/dairy free desert? Not necessarily a low carb one....as I think they may not be ready for that. You don't have to eat it.
They may not be ready for the high fat either, so perhaps a nice stir fry in lard/goose fat with lots of low inflammation plants (celery/onion/garlic/herbs) and some reasonable quality meat or fish?
Or a big stew (you could include carrots but limit the amount you eat personally), using cheaper cuts of good quality meat?
You could batter fish (or chicken) in buckwheat (add salt, ground pepper and a few herbs) and fry sweat potato chips (instead of normal potato).....just have plain fried fish yourself.

Yes, everything you say makes sense RedFox. I was going too fast, acting out of fear. My resolution is to do this calmly and creatively. I know all this, but sometimes when we voice what our inner predator is telling us, it really helps to see things logically, see the obvious. Those voices can be quite compelling, though irrational, and I know the diet and EE will help me see straight.
It helped just to honestly express what I was thinking, and to see your answer, which does seem logical and glaringly obvious, so thanks for taking the time!

cassandra said:
Yes, everything you say makes sense RedFox. I was going too fast, acting out of fear. My resolution is to do this calmly and creatively. I know all this, but sometimes when we voice what our inner predator is telling us, it really helps to see things logically, see the obvious. Those voices can be quite compelling, though irrational, and I know the diet and EE will help me see straight.
It helped just to honestly express what I was thinking, and to see your answer, which does seem logical and glaringly obvious, so thanks for taking the time!

One of the tricks of the inner predator is to convince us not to share things like this (or not to ask for help when its needed). So I'm glad you did :)

RedFox said:
cassandra said:

One of the tricks of the inner predator is to convince us not to share things like this (or not to ask for help when its needed). So I'm glad you did :)

Me too, my fears and fears of sharing really started to build up big time and prevent me from going ahead with the diet.

rrraven said:
those of you who don't ''like''the taste of lard...is your bacon free range or is it factory-farmed and grain fed?
you can really taste the difference ,trust me
:)

Speaking of grain-less animals, for those in the US there is another good source: Ted Slanker's Meats in Texas. Here is a clip from his site:

The Real Diet of Man

Before you read my essay on "The Real Diet of Man" (it's also known as the "Paleo Diet" or "Caveman Diet") think about this. How do cattlemen fatten cattle? Sure, everyone knows they put them in feedlots and feed a grain-based ration. The grain-based ration does the trick every time. Now, let me ask you four more questions. "Do Americans live in a feedlot?" "What are they eating in this feedlot?" "Did man invent grain farming and grain as a food?" "If grain is a concocted food, are there negative consequences for body function if one eats grain?"

There is no better "diet" for losing weight, building the immune system, gaining strength, and for improving and maintaining health than "The Real Diet of Man." That is an absolute, unequivocal fact. It works for everyone and all they have to do is eat! If you are overweight and dine only on the foods man ate prior to the invention of grain farming, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Interestingly, many other chronic diseases are also arrested and in some cases eliminated by eating like a caveman or paleo man. And, if you are in competitive sports, "The Real Diet of Man" will increase your strength and stamina. It only makes sense if you think about it! So read on.

Since you must be a curious sort of person, you must wonder sometimes why it is the world's food supply fails to supply Omega-3 fatty acids and other critical nutrients? At one time it did because for millions of years no one took vitamins and Omega-3 supplements yet our bodies demand those nutrients and more! Obviously, many modern foods do not provide the nutrients required for proper body function. So why is that? Does the fault lie with infertile soils? Is it pollution? Is it agricultural chemicals? Is it because of Big Business? Or is it the fault of modern concocted foods (which are now traditional foods) and the food choices individuals make? The answer will surprise you.

It was not until the late 1970s that nutritional scientists started realizing the human body could not manufacture everything it needed from whatever food it ate. Instead, they determined human bodies required a very finite balance of nutrients or body failure (both mental and physical) was a consequence. That was when they figured out man's invented foods are a huge problem. The problem is really huge because most of our nation's food supply is based on invented foods! Only "real foods" supply the perfect balance of required nutrients and this Web site "gives you the answer on a silver platter" as to what is and is not real food -- and why. Amazingly, REAL FOOD is readily available everywhere and all bodies always respond positively to "The Real Diet of Man." Welcome to our healthy world.
. . . Ted Slanker

The Real Diet of Man is Very Simple

There seems to be thousands of diets. Atkins, South Beach, Glycemic Impact, Phase, Suzzane Somers, The Biggest Loser, Low Carb, Low Fat, Low Sodium, High Fiber, eDiets, Paleo, Paleolithic, Caveman, Mediterranean, Maker's, Grapefruit, Fat Flush, Acai, Vegetarian, Blood Type, Lactose-Free, Heart Smart, Healthy Soy, Weight Watchers, Mayo Clinic, Perricone, and Slim Fast are just a few of the popular ones we've all heard about. Yet in spite of all the money that is being raked in by the promoters of these many different diets – in actual fact there is only one diet. It's the diet of man before his invention of grain farming and other agricultural pursuits. Some people call this the Paleo diet, Hunter Gatherer diet, or Caveman diet. I simply call it The Real Diet of Man.
Because we are living in an inflexible, Big Business- and consumer-driven society you'll rarely hear about the Paleo Diet much less what I call The Real Diet of Man. That's because the real diet of man is too simple, leaves no room for supplements, and ignores grain, grain-based foods, grain-fed livestock products, concocted foods, sugar and refined high glycemic index (GI) carbohydrates, all other high GI foods, and the drinking of milk and alcoholic beverages. In other words, many "traditional" foods are left out!
The real diet of man leaves the marketers of supplements, vitamins, fad diets, exercise machines and gyms, drugs, conventional medical solutions (drugs and operations), and nearly all foods and drinks little room to make money off their advice and products. It even cuts out the educational system and various government entities because they are structured to eternalize Big Business and the grain-based food system. It also introduces new tastes, cooking, and eating habits few consumers are willing to adapt no matter how sick they are from eating improper foods! (The consumer gets what he wants and if he is not willing to change, then he cannot expect different results.) Our food system is way out of whack and virtually all of the food products sold in typical American grocery stores (Whole Foods is typical!), fast food joints, and convenience stores have no place in the real diet of man.

Diet: Simple and Basic
The real diet of man is incredibly simple. It does not involve calorie counting, fat measuring, and portion control. There is no such thing as different foods for young people, pregnant women, middle aged people, and old people. There's absolutely no variation for blood type, sex, skin color, hair color, tall people, short people, hard working people, couch potatoes, or one's location. And the diet is the same for healthy people as it is for people burdened with chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, lupus, asthma, allergies, obesity, mental disorders, and on and on.

Anthropologists tell us that about 60% to as much as 85% of early man's food was meat – and it was only grass-fed meat (meat from animals never fed grain). Meat was followed by vegetables (for instance spinach, kale, collards, beet greens, romaine lettuce, etc. followed by broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.). Then, since they were seasonal, at times in very minor amounts there were some nuts and tart fruits (such as squash, berries, small apples, and the tiny wild fruits such as persimmons and wild plums we sometimes find when hiking in the woods). Sure, at times man also lucked out and had some honey. But that was real rare.
As for dairy, well modern man is the only beast on earth that figures he needs milk past weaning. In fact, dairy is one of man's most recent agricultural inventions. So all of this nonsense about drinking milk for strong bones and teeth is mythology. It really does not matter if milk is raw or not. It is flat out unnecessary post weaning. To make matters worse, nearly all diary products available today are from grain-fed cows and goats.

Many so-called health experts are telling people to eat fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Most of the veggies I will not dispute, but many of today's highly developed sweet fruits are sugar shots. Orange juice and potatoes are perfect examples of sugar and refined high-glycemic-index (GI) carbohydrates. Sugar and refined high-glycemic-index (GI) carbohydrates can power drive fungal infestations that can produce mycotoxin overloads. (To learn more about mycotoxins check out our Science Links section.) The eating of grain disrupts cell function, breaks down the immune system, and feeds fungi if one has a fungal infestation. Virtually everyone today has some fungal contamination within their bodies because damaged immune systems open the door to fungal infestations. So grains, of whatever kind, other food products loaded with Omega-6 fatty acids, and sugar and refined high-glycemic-index (GI) carbohydrates are taboo.

Also, the idea that a little wine, or beer, or booze of any kind is good for you is also a myth. For starters alcohol is a mycotoxin and secondly it leaches DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) out of the brain. DHA, the most abundant fat in the brain, is a major requirement for proper brain function. Consequently, moderate moderation is the only approach one can have with alcohol.

Get Exactly 100% of Your Nutrient Needs

As you can see the diet of man (or paleo diet) includes little if anything beyond grass-fed meats, veggies (greens and the immature flowers of vegetative plants) and in a very limited way some nuts and tart fruits. Excluded foods are grains, grain-based foods, grain-fed livestock products, potatoes, sugar and refined high glycemic index (GI) carbohydrates, all other high GI foods, even some fruits, all foods high in Omega-6 fatty acids, dairy products, and nearly all concocted foods especially those laced with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives such as partially hydrogenated oils. All modern grocery stores, fast food joints, and convenience stores stock mostly excluded foods! This is why so many people are suffering from chronic disease and at least 90% of them are overweight. The food is literally killing them -- and THEY LOVE IT!

The real diet of man is all that anyone requires for optimal health. It is so fundamental nutritional scientists, those who have studied it, tell us that it provides exactly 100% of man's nutrient needs in perfect balance. How could it not? It's what man ate for several million years before he started farming and changing his foods. (That's why it's also called the Paleo Diet.) Those early agricultural pursuits commenced only 10,000 years ago in a couple of regions and then slowly spread throughout the world. In no way could man's body adapt to such an abrupt change in his food in just 10,000 years. Consequently when one eats like the prehistoric Paleolithic Hunter Gatherer his Paleo Diet will be so perfect he won't even want to take a vitamin pill or an Omega-3 supplement for fear of overdosing. Yes, you can even overdose on Omega-3 fatty acids!

As you can see, the story regarding the proper diet for you, your family members, or any other person on Earth can be told in a few paragraphs. And if people ate only the real diet of man the incidences of chronic disease would probably plunge 90% or more. That would devastate the medical community, the drug companies, health insurers, and marketers of fad diet books, supplements, vitamins, and exercise machines. The real diet of man is so simple the caveman, or as some say, "the paleo man," always got it right and he never even thought about it. So, you should be able to do it too. Right? Well, I guess that depends on what kind of person you are. Do you want change or the same old results?

For more about what is and is not food click on Best and Worst Foods and GI and Omega 3 Nutritional Food Data.

Ted Slanker
Slanker's Grass-Fed Meats
Your Paleo Diet Headquarters
http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com

We just cooked up one of his pork shoulder roasts and found it to be excellent - great flavor and great tasting fat. The pigs he sells are wild foragers fed no grains what so ever. The meat is darker. Prices are pretty good.

And here's what Slanker says about his pork:

100% American Grass-Fed Pork

In a way, the cartoon is no joke. Geneticists really are trying to tip the DNA on their pigs, which are fed grain in confinement housing, in order to boost the pigs' Omega-3 fatty acid levels. Why don't scientists do an even better job of balancing Essential Fatty Acids in their pigs by utilizing the old fashioned natural way -- of simply not feeding their pigs grain? Well, it takes too long for a piglet to grow without grain and the grazing method is not easily mass-produced.
Naturally our grass-fed pork products come from real grass-fed pigs. They have not been fed grain. Nearly all other so-called grass-fed pork products offered on the Internet and elsewhere are not for real. Our is. (Click here for a picture of Phony Grass-Fed Pigs.) In nutritional terms our real grass-fed pork products are far superior nutritionally compared to "pastured" pork products. Pastured pigs are fed grain, grain by products, stale bread, and other foreign foods and that makes the resulting meat products only slightly better than conventional store-bought pork. The idea that pigs must be fed grain is preposterous and ignorant.
As with all animal life, what holds true for any pig also applies to "heritage" pigs. If a heritage pig is fed grain it's no different than any other grain-fed pig. So buyer beware. Just because a pig is "free range," "heritage," "natural," "organic," or "pastured" never means it has the nutritional benefits of a genuine grass-fed pig.
Our pigs range at large foraging for their natural food. They graze grass just like cattle. Most of what they eat is grass, forbes, and leaves of trees. But they also eat grubs, roots, acorns, berries, fruits (acorns, berries, and fruits are strickly seasonal), eggs, critters of all kinds, and about anything else they come across in the pastures and woods where they live. (In fact, their diet is about the same as a grass-fed chicken!) They are not caged, penned, confined in dirt lots, nor raised in buildings. Some are even wild pigs that joined up with our pig herd. Make no mistake about it, unlike all other pork producers we know (free range, pastured, heritage, natural, organic, etc.), our pigs are not supplemented with grain or grain-based feeds. They are just like wild pigs or they are wild pigs. Consequently their meat is not "the other white meat." It's red meat; sometimes as dark as deer meat! Real grass-fed hogs will always have red meat of about the same color as our grass-fed beef!
Our grass-fed pork cuts are shrink wrapped, frozen, and freezer ready. As you can imagine, the price of pork will change with the market price of pigs. Consequently, all prices are subject to change--sometimes on short notice.

Re: "Life Without Bread"

« Reply #2262 on: December 31, 2011, 05:58:54 AM »

It's time I joined the chorus of voices sharing favorable results from the low carb diet.

My parents and their siblings are good examples (unfortunately) of insulin related problems, with instances of type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, arthritis, alzheimer's, and congestive heart failure. Seeing this has encouraged me to look at supplements, exercise, and diets in an attempt to mitigate these potential outcomes.

This past year I gradually took out wheat and other glutens, dairy, coffee, starting smoking again, and reduced other carbs and sugar whenever possible. Breakfast is my big meal and dinner the lightest.

I could tell something was changing as my waist-belt migrated from the second to the fourth notch over the course of a few months. A couple of weeks back I had my annual checkup and was quite pleased to learn I lost 18 lbs since last year. I'm not a tall person (5'7"), and this weight takes me back about 15 years.

I mentioned the low carb approach to my doctor and he seemed pleased and supportive. Then, a few days later the lab tests were in and everything was ok except cholesterol which was way up. HDL-C increased 30% from last year. Total Cholesterol was up about 60% which means LDL-C is much higher, given how they calculate it. Now the doctor wants me on Statin drugs.

But, as explained in The Art and Science of Low Carb Living (p92), "serum LDL-C may transiently increase during the rapid weight loss phase of a low carbohydrate diet". Also in chapter 8, Volek and Phinney present reasonable arguments that cholesterol (and LDL in particular) is not necessarily the right target when aiming for cardiovascular health. Their suggested focus among other things is insulin resistance. And one way they gauge that is the ratio of triglycerides to HDL-C which in my case improved 27% from last year. So I plan to give this more time before considering a prescription.

In my experience, the low carb approach is producing results, far better than anything else. My next step is to experiment with protein restriction as described in Primal Body, Primal Mind. Also I want to add that the books and comments in this and related threads have been incredibly useful and are greatly appreciated.

I can echo l_autre_d's experience, above - and really appreciate the feedback from the forum on this. My cholesterol came in at 8 (not sure which scale they were using here in S Africa), LDL was 6 of that. The doc wants me on statins pronto but I'm not interested in taking that route. When I started on the Paleo diet I shed weight quickly; went from 70 kg to 57 in about two weeks. Feel a LOT better. I've suffered from inflamation for years. Normally manifests as painful achilles tendons and the tendons in my left hand (mostly), tight chest, foggy thinking and swollen glands under my jaw. Anyway that's much better now although I get the occasional flare up if I cheat - I find birthday party biscuits and dip difficult to resist but am getting better at saying 'no' since the suffering isn't worth the slip. So I'm not going to worry about the cholesterol for now, but will have it checked again in three months or so.

Otherwise, I am keeping it fairly simple - lots of meat, a few greens (grow my own), onion and garlic for the sulpher, now and then a bit of squash and berry's (also home-grown), when in season. Although it's hideously expensive, I eat about two to three tablespoons of coconut oil per day and cook exclusively with it. Sound right?

On another note: I started excess salivation about a year ago. Noticed yesterday on Doc mercola's site that fluoride might cause this. Would you believe I could not find ONE toothpaste in the local supermarkets (all two of them) without fluoride added. I managed to get a tube from the health shop so will see how it goes. Do y'all (to use an American phrase) think I'm on the right track with this?

Lastly: tinnitus really bad. But will continue on my current diet and hopefully i will clear.
Many, many thanks for the forum, guys. Best thing I did in my life was to join. :)

You can also use ghee or lard to cook, if coconut oil is too expensive. Also some people are sensitive to coconut oil.

You can also use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), salt, and xylitol to brush your teeth. In other words don't use any commercial toothpaste preparation at all.

SeekinTruth said:
You can also use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), salt, and xylitol to brush your teeth. In other words don't use any commercial toothpaste preparation at all.

You can also add a little peppermint oil to the above mixture which gives it a pleasant minty freshness. :)

SeekinTruth said:
You can also use ghee or lard to cook, if coconut oil is too expensive. Also some people are sensitive to coconut oil.

You might want to test for tolerance of ghee. I've found recently that I am very sensitive to ghee - it makes me tired and sluggish on the day after eating it. I find that beef dripping is much better for me and promotes a clearer head and no tiredness. No problems with lard, either. And if cost is an issue, then lard and beef dripping are both quite cheap - at least here in the UK.

Rick3 said:
Otherwise, I am keeping it fairly simple - lots of meat, a few greens (grow my own), onion and garlic for the sulpher, now and then a bit of squash and berry's (also home-grown), when in season. Although it's hideously expensive, I eat about two to three tablespoons of coconut oil per day and cook exclusively with it. Sound right?

On another note: I started excess salivation about a year ago. Noticed yesterday on Doc mercola's site that fluoride might cause this. Would you believe I could not find ONE toothpaste in the local supermarkets (all two of them) without fluoride added. I managed to get a tube from the health shop so will see how it goes. Do y'all (to use an American phrase) think I'm on the right track with this?

Hello Rick3,

I was buying Santa Maria virgin coconut oil and it costs 18 EUR (500g) in my country. A toothpaste I was buying from a health shop and a small tube costs around 12 EUR. Very expensive. But last week a friend took me to Maharishi Ayur-Veda products representatives for my country and there I bought 500 g of coconut oil, the same if not even a better quality for 10 EUR and a great toothpaste, fluoride free & big tube for only 8 EUR. So, if those prices are better than the one you're paying now, it's worth to explore ;)

Alice

Thank you for the response, everyone. I will definitely be following up on those suggestions. Never thought of baking soda to brush teeth - with a drop of peppermint! Love the simplicity. And thanks, Alice, I will shop around a bit for cheaper.

Rick3 said:
Thank you for the response, everyone. I will definitely be following up on those suggestions. Never thought of baking soda to brush teeth - with a drop of peppermint! Love the simplicity. And thanks, Alice, I will shop around a bit for cheaper.

Sorry, I just realized I wrote the prices wrong... Both the coconut oil and the toothpaste cost only 5 EUR! I bought other stuff as well and it got mixed up in my head :/ Enjoy learning more and feeling better day by day!

Endymion said:
SeekinTruth said:

You might want to test for tolerance of ghee. I've found recently that I am very sensitive to ghee - it makes me tired and sluggish on the day after eating it. I find that beef dripping is much better for me and promotes a clearer head and no tiredness. No problems with lard, either. And if cost is an issue, then lard and beef dripping are both quite cheap - at least here in the UK.

That's interesting, Endymion. I wonder if it is connected with cows that are fed grains and the milk from them is used to make butter and then the ghee is made from that butter? A similar suggestion was made recently about lard and grain fed pigs. I'm convinced that these animals that are fed grains (and I think in the case of cows, especially) are made sick and whether meat or milk products made from them will be problematic.

SeekinTruth said:
Endymion said:
SeekinTruth said:

That's interesting, Endymion. I wonder if it is connected with cows that are fed grains and the milk from them is used to make butter and then the ghee is made from that butter? A similar suggestion was made recently about lard and grain fed pigs. I'm convinced that these animals that are fed grains (and I think in the case of cows, especially) are made sick and whether meat or milk products made from them will be problematic.

There's also the plain old issue of casein. Butter makes me slow and dull-headed in a very short time - lasting for the day or more, gradually easing off (and doing so faster with plenty of vitamin C). I think some may simply be sensitive enough that ghee is an issue as well - it's not completely pure. As for me, my sense of well-being is best when eating only lard and other animal non-dairy fats, though ghee is acceptable, having on me a negligible impact in practice - small and subtle enough that, personally, it's worth it to get some (otherwise) good fat if/when there's nothing better available.

Still, both butter and ghee are kind of bizarre and unnatural things - butter (while less than most milk products) is laced with a poison - it's a plain fact - though some apparently tolerate it; having made ghee, the amount of milk protein is plainly visible in the pan. And when making ghee, it does feel kind of strange to be deriving a food from a poisoned source, trying to extract the "good stuff" while keeping out "enough" of the bad.

Back
Top Bottom