"Life Without Bread"

Regarding tea, I find it interesting that most chinese teas are made from the same plant. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, all "tea" in China is made from camellia sinensis, or at least uses it in its composition. "Teas" made from other plants are called "infusions", I believe.

From what I remember from previous research, the most potent form of camellia sinensis tea in what regards health benefits is matcha, a Japanese ceremonial tea.

I became fond of green tea over the last three or four years, but I also like white tea and bancha. Oolong and black tea seems to have a little bit too much caffeine for me, but I do drink them on occasion. I never had the opportunity to try matcha.
Tea Basics - Presenting Camellia Sinensis

Please allow me to introduce Camellia Sinensis (CS). Camellia Sinensis is the matriarch of the deliciously aromatic and ever growing family of tea. Her surname literally means ‘Chinese’ in Latin and is meant to signify her geographical origins. Her first name was given by the father of taxonomy, Carl Linnaeus, in an act of homage to the Czech botanist Georg Kamel—who actually had nothing to do with tea but who Linnaeus thought deserved the namesake.[1] Many, many years ago, CS gave birth to three babies, otherwise known as ‘varieties’ in the tea world. They are: Camellia Sinensis Sinensis (CSS), Camellia Sinensis Assamica (CSA) and Camellia Sinensis Lasio-Calyx or Cambodiensis, the first two of which all of our steeped cuppas originate from. Yes, that’s right, every single tea (not to be confused with tisanes or herbal infusions) comes from practically the same plant. In fact, more than 10,000 different types of tea are produced from the Sinensis and Assamica varieties.[2] Those 10,000 different types of tea typically fall under the category of white, green, yellow, oolong, black and/or pu-erh tea, at least one of which many of us find daily or even hourly in our steaming cups. How is it that all of these different types of tea come from the same leaf? The most basic difference between the different colors of tea is the level of processing or oxidation each set of leaves undergo, black and pu-erh teas being the most heavily oxidized while white and green teas are picked and sealed long before any oxidation is allowed to take place. The others, yellow and oolong teas, fall somewhere in between. Apart from the level of oxidation that the leaf undergoes, there are several other factors that account for the difference in appearance, smell and taste in each of the different colors of tea or even two of the same types of tea. They are: climate, location, altitude, soil and growing techniques, to name a few.[3] Before we distinguish the different colors or types of tea from one another, let’s get better acquainted with Sinensis and Assamica varieties of the CS family.

Although both ultimately descend from China, CS wanted her children to grow up in 2 totally different environments and so kept Sinensis in China but sent Assamica over the mountains into the northeastern state of Assam in India. This, in fact, did cause distinct variations between the sister plants. Sinensis prefers cooler weather and high altitudes growing on steep mountain slopes sometimes up to 9,500 feet high. She usually grows to between 5 and 15 feet tall and is considered more a bush than a tree. Most of our white, green, yellow, and oolong teas come from Sinensis, along with a few black teas. Assamica, however, is happy to be in warmer weather, with lots of humidity and rain, and can range from 30 to 60 feet tall, making her more of a tree. We typically get our hearty and robust black and pu-erh teas from Assamica, but both plants are capable of producing all types of tea.[4] Today, both variations of CS continue to grow in their country of origin but have also been transported by man and are now successfully grown in many countries throughout the world.

Without further ado, let us introduce the colors of Camellia Sinensis:

Ø White: the lightest brew of tea you will ever drink comes from the youngest, most premature, leaves of the plant. The leaves are picked when they are so young that they still have the little white hairs, or fur, associated with an immature tea bush. We use the term bush instead of tree because white teas most often come from the CSS variety. The younger leaf indicates that this delicate and earthy brew has the least caffeine yet maintains the maximum amount of antioxidants one can receive from tea.[5] This tea undergoes absolutely no oxidation. We currently have 5 classic white teas from India and China including silver needles and 4 white aroma blends including an incredibly refreshing Earl of White.

Ø Green: also known as ‘un-oxidized tea,’ green tea comes from a more matured leaf than white tea. Depending on the country of origin, most often China or Japan but other countries as well, the prevention of oxidation is achieved by several different methods. These methods, which entail applying heat to the leaf to kill the enzymes that allow oxidation, also play a part in the appearance, scent, and flavors associated with a specific type of green tea. Japan, for instance, nearly always seals their leaves from oxidation by steaming them. This method gives us fresh, grassy, briny, or seaweed-like undertones while Chinese green teas, which may be pan-fired or roasted, offer us earthy, nutty, or smoky aromas. Green tea has slightly more caffeine than white and can easily be sipped on all day without fuss or jitters. This beverage has been touted as a health tonic but we hope you drink it because you love it! At present, we have 18 classic green teas from China and Japan and 18 unbelievably fragrant aroma blends.

Ø Yellow: processed much like green tea, yellow tea is a rare find. In addition to the steps associated with processing green tea, this tea undergoes one extra step of firing and is then “wrapped in a cow skin paper to dry in warmth for a few hours.”[6] This step is intended to mellow out the ‘grassiness’ of green tea that some taste buds don’t prefer. Right now we have a gorgeous, long leaf classic Yellow and a juicy, peach flavored blend.

Ø Oolong: not actually named after a color, this tea gets its name from an old Chinese story associated with it and means ‘black dragon.’ Unlike the others which are intended to be un-oxidized, Oolong is considered to be semi-oxidized, falling somewhere between green and black teas. There is a pretty big gap between green and black, so you’ll find some oolongs that appear to be closer to green and others that are obviously closer to black. The darker oolongs are allowed to oxidize to about 70% while the green ones to about 30%.[7] These processing methods make oolongs pleasing for just about anyone. Oolongs are typically made using long, rolled leaves and thus can be infused several times (sometimes up to 14!), making this tea a true bargain buy. We have a growing collection of Oolongs ranging from dark to light, both classic and aromatic, including the best tea I’ve ever smelled and tasted, China Milky Oolong. One smell and you’re in love!

Ø Black: the most well known tea of them all, this tea is fully oxidized, and so has the darkest brew and most caffeine of them all. Black tea undergoes 4 basic stages: withering, rolling, oxidation, and firing. Today, black tea comes from a variety of places around the world including, but not limited to, China, Assam, Darjeeling, Vietnam, Kenya, Rwanda, Nepal and Tibet. There’s a common misconception that black tea doesn’t measure up to green tea as far as health benefits, but we beg to differ. After all, they do come from the same source. In China, black tea is actually referred to as red tea, referring to the color of the tea instead of the leaves; they call Pu-erh tea black tea.[8] Our collection of black tea, both classic and aromatic, is so grand it takes up two walls! We’ve got everything from classic European blends to Lapsang Souchong and too many aromatic blends to count.

Ø Pu-erh: this Chinese tea gets its name from its town of origin, and is the only tea for which we can correctly call ‘fermented’ (many people confuse oxidation with fermentation). This tea is processed much like black tea, but is then allowed to sit, age, and ferment for at least three months. This fermentation not only brings out an immense amount of earthy flavor but also, like other fermented products, does our digestive system a lot of good. This tea is often enjoyed after heavy meals in China because it is believed to aid the digestion process as well as cut through fat. You can find this tea loose or pressed into discs, cakes, or nests called ‘tuos.’[9] We have both loose and tuo style Pu-erh in the store and hope to have more in the future.

This concludes our introduction to Camellia Sinensis and her rather large progeny. We hope that we’ve cleared up any confusion about the different types of teas and that even the connoisseurs among us learned a thing or two. Camellia Sinensis presents herself in so many ways that you’re bound to enjoy at least one of her colors. Come on into the store and we’ll take you on an interactive journey through the different types of tea! You are sure to leave with a future favorite!

[1] Camellia sinensis. (2011, July 6). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 00:22, July 7, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Camellia_sinensis&oldid=438141163
[2] Pettigrew, Jane and Bruce Richardson. (2008). The New Tea Companion: A Guide to Teas Throughout the World. Benjamin Press. Perryville, KY. P, 33.
[3] P, 39
[4] Camellia Sinensis. from www.teaclass.com/lesson_0301.html
[5] P, 39
[6] P, 40
[7] P, 44
[8] P, 45

From Dr. Andrew Weil website:
What is Matcha Tea?
Matcha - literally, "powdered tea" - is a special type of green tea: a precious, jewel-green powder that is whisked with hot water in a bowl to make a frothy beverage of the same name. Preparation of matcha is the focus of the Japanese tea ceremony and has a long association with Zen. Matcha is the only form of tea in which the whole leaf is consumed, and because it is made from top-quality leaves that are treated with great care, it delivers more of the healthful elements of green tea than other forms. A unique, beautiful and richly flavorful drink, matcha gives most people a feeling of well-being. In addition, the simple ritual of preparing it is both enjoyable and meditative.

For matcha, unlike most other forms of green tea, farmers cover the plants with heavy shade cloth for three weeks prior to harvest in May. This causes the new shoots to develop larger, thinner leaves with better flavor and texture. Harvesting is by hand, and only the youngest, smallest leaves are selected for the best quality matcha. Farmers steam the leaves briefly to stop any fermentation, then dry them and pack them in bales for cold storage. Aging deepens the flavor of the tea, which becomes optimum after six months.

Health Benefits of Matcha
In addition to providing trace minerals and vitamins (A, B-complex, C, E, and K), matcha is rich in catechin polyphenols - compounds with high antioxidant activity. These compounds offer protection against many kinds of cancer, help prevent cardiovascular disease and slow the aging process. They also reduce harmful cholesterol in the blood, stabilize blood sugar levels, help reduce high blood pressure and enhance the resistance of the body to many toxins. The most important polyphenol in matcha is EGCG (epigallo-catechin gallate), which is the subject of many medical studies. Matcha has a significant amount of dietary fiber and practically no calories.

Nine Green Teas to Explore

Americans are learning, from Dr. Weil and others, that green tea - a drink made from the unoxidized leaf of the Camellia sinensis plant - is wonderfully healthy. The most important polyphenol in tea is EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), a potent antioxidant that probably contributes to the protective cardiovascular and neurological effects reported in many studies.

But people who are new to green tea sometimes dislike the flavor. For them, the answer is not to give up on green tea, but rather to try another type. The world of Japanese green tea is vast, with literally thousands of varieties, each featuring subtle differences in taste and aroma. Connoisseurs can spend a lifetime exploring them, but that’s not necessary for most of us. All we need to do is try some samples of the nine basic types below. Many are available at natural foods stores, and even supermarkets are starting to stock different varieties:

1. Matcha is the quintessential experience of Japanese green tea. It is made from skillfully cultivated, shade-grown tea leaves that have been meticulously stone-ground into a fine powder. To prepare, take a teaspoon of bright green, powdered matcha tea and stir it vigorously with hot water using a bamboo whisk. Because it is made from the entire tea life, matcha bursts with a bold, rich herbaceous flavor in the mouth. It is traditionally served with delicately flavored sweets to balance this intense taste.

2. Sencha refers to a broad category of loose leaf green tea meant to be infused. Senchas can range from simple, unassertive teas that may be enjoyed daily to more bold teas. In general, the top few tea leaves from the shoot are used since they are rich in flavor. The finished tea may consist of small, almost powdery particles, or long, delicate, slender stands. For the best balance of flavor and color, many senchas are a mix of leaves of different sizes and shapes. The final brew will be yellow-green to a deeper green in color. The taste may be a mellow with a hint of maize or wildflower to lively and herbaceous with a palate-cleansing astringency. Often times, the leaves are deeply steamed to create a bolder sencha known as fukamushi-cha.

3. Gyokuro means "jade dew," referring to the deep green color of its leaves. An elaborated form of sencha, its leaves are meticulously shade-grown in the same manner as leaves for matcha. The shading creates a tea that is intensely rich in flavor and low in astringency. The intense labor behind gyokuro makes it one of Japan’s most expensive kinds of tea.

4. Kabusecha is similar to gyokuro in that it is also shade-grown, but for a shorter length of time. Its flavor lies between sencha and gyokuro, offering a mild sweetness and depth of character.

5. Bancha is made from more mature leaves than sencha, picked during a later harvest season. While not as complex as sencha, it is mellow and easy drinking. Moreover, it is low in caffeine yet high in antioxidants, making it an ideal daily tea.

6. Genmaicha is one of the most popular Japanese green teas. It consists of a mix of roasted rice and either sencha or bancha tea. The roasted rice imparts a warm, toasty flavor to the vigor of green tea, creating a smooth overall taste. Genmaicha’s popularity grew out of the lean war years when the scarce fresh tea available was mixed with rice.

7. Hojicha takes its name from is the combination of the Japanese terms hoji, "roasted," and cha, "tea." The story behind hojicha is that a Kyoto tea merchant had an excess stock of green tea that he was an unable to sell off. Instead of wasting his stock, he roasted the leaves to quick public acclaim. To create hojicha, finished tea leaves or stems are roasted for a few minutes, turning them a dark brown. The result is a smooth tea with no astringency - making it ideal with meals.

8. Kukicha is a tea made mainly of stems, or kuki. Its flavor is vibrant but mild in astringency. It is important to note that the kukicha referred to in macrobiotic circles is actually hojicha made from stems.

9. Konacha is made from from fine, powdery tea leaves. It brews a vibrant green and yields a clean, brisk taste. Because it cleans the palate well, it is often the tea of choice to serve with sushi.

Matcha health benefits from Wikipedia:
Matcha can now be found in numerous health food products ranging from cereal to energy bars. In 2003, researchers from the University of Colorado found that the concentration of the antioxidant EGCG available from drinking matcha is up to 137 times greater than the amount of EGCG available from other commercially available green teas.[11] Matcha is also said to boost metabolism [12] and help reduce cholesterol levels when drunk regularly.[13] The aforementioned health benefits of matcha green tea can largely be attributed to the fact that the whole tea leaf is ingested, as opposed to just the steeped water in the case of 'bagged' green teas. This means that it delivers a much higher potency of catechins, chlorophyll, and antioxidants.[citation needed] By weight, matcha contains more antioxidants than blueberries, wolfberries, pomegranates, orange juice and spinach.[citation needed] http://www.vitalifematcha.com/health-benefits-of-matcha.php

There is evidence from clinical studies that suggests that theanine, when consumed by drinking Japanese green teas,[14] may help to reduce or moderate mental stress responses.[15]

Laura said:
Well, I've read that black tea is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. Can anybody find more on that? I'm just not ready/willing to give up my tea because it gets me through the day. I have about 5 or 6 cups a day, two or three hot, two or three poured over ice.

I'm not sure either about the nutritional value of tea, but I do like to have it occasionally and I have not observed a strong caffeine response the way I did with coffee. If nothing else, the warm water helps my breathing.

The nutrients found in the tea may depend upon the soil in which the plant was grown. I buy organic and hope for the best.

I am experimentng the tea with butter, salt, and pepper... I remember have seen a documentary some months ago, showing us how Tibetians used to take their tea with butter of yak. And I was supposing something was good behind this in the paelo-diet way.

I missed several comments these last days, but I am sure have read something about action of pepper as antioxidant somewhere here or on Sott. I am sorry if this is a double. From my experience on butter with tea, started one week ago, it does not seem disturb my papillae or my digestive system. I only use a slightly salted not pasteurized dairy butter. I found this one some weeks ago after have use organic butter during several years. It changed totally my percpetion of the butter. Even being organic, the butter I used to buy before had no flavor regarding the last one used.

I found this about pepper and its action, between else on others antioxidant:

Black pepper is derived from the fruit of a climbing vine native to southern India and Sri Lanka. White pepper is likewise made from this fruit but is processed differently. Used almost universally, black pepper is one of the most common condiments worldwide and figures prominently in most curry recipes. It is also frequently included in the prescriptions of Ayurvedic and other traditional health practitioners. The spicy tang of black pepper is due to its most important and well-researched phytochemical, piperine.

Thanks to many of its constituent compounds such as eugenol, kaempferol, myrcene, quercetin and rutin black pepper is a much more effective antioxidant than many fruit and vegetables.
Moreover it contains the unique compound, piperine, that is capable of enhancing the bioavailability of important nutritive compounds in other foods and spices.

Medicinal properties of black pepper

Cancer

By increasing the bioavailability of other anti-tumourigenic spices, black pepper dramatically increases their potency and effectiveness against cancer. In addition to this important property, black pepper also counteracts cancer development directly. Its principal phytochemical, piperine, inhibits some of the pro-inflammatory cytokines that are produced by tumour cells. In so doing it interferes with the signalling mechanisms between cancer cells, thereby reducing the chances of tumour progression. Collectively, these properties make black pepper one of the most important spices for preventing cancer.

Oxidative Stress

Black pepper contains several powerful antioxidants and is thus one of the most important spices for preventing and curtailing oxidative stress. In addition to their direct antioxidant properties, several of these compounds work indirectly by enhancing the action of other antioxidants. This makes black pepper particularly valuable in minimising the damage caused by a diet rich in saturated fats, one of the main causes of oxidative stress.

The high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides associated with oxidative stress inhibit the efficacy of important antioxidants like glutathione, superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, vitamin C and vitamin E. However, in the face of this potentially destructive process, black pepper actually maintains and enhances the levels and efficacy of these important antioxidant compounds.

I put this part in italic, because even if the informations about pepper looks interesting here, it is difficult to find a theory totally free of quite "ignorance" or any scientific "lie".

Immunomodulation

Black pepper exhibits immunomodulatory properties and is capable of boosting the number and the efficacy of white cells, thereby assisting the body to mount a powerful defense against invading microbes and cancer cells.

Bioavailability enhancement

Piperine increases the bioavailability of valuable phytochemicals present in other spices and can boost the activity of biochemically active compounds contained in green tea, curcumin and a variety of other spices by up to several hundred percent, depending on the molecule concerned. It does this via two principal mechanisms. First, it promotes the rapid absorption of certain chemicals from the gastrointestinal tract, protecting them from being broken down by chemicals in the intestinal lumen and by enzymes that occur in the cells lining the intestines. Secondly, once the compound has entered the blood stream, piperine provides protection against oxidative damage by liver enzymes. In this way black pepper enables us to reap optimum benefits from the medicinal phytochemicals found in other dietary spices.

Its bioavailability enhancing properties makes black pepper one of the most important spices. It should added to recipes and meals as often as possible as it boosts the medicinal value of many spices and other foods.

Keith Scott is a medical doctor who has a special interest in nutritional medicine. He has written several books on health related topics including Medicinal Seasonings, The Healing Power Of Spices and Natural Home Pharmacy. For more information about black pepper and the medicinal properties of other spices go to:

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Keith_Scott_M.D.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/771756

Laura said:
Very insightful, Mochachapeau, and beautifully expressed. I think that's the crux of the matter, too, that food is presented to people as something that will bring them joy in a life that is often joyless for so many other reasons. It's really sad.

Nienna Eluch said:
About food being a "great joy in life". I'm wondering if the addiction to gluten, sugars, etc. could make it seem more joyful? Satisfying the addiction creates a feeling of joy.

I do agree and want to say thank you to Mochachapeau for this so interesting comment, expressed with a lot of "virtuosity"...
At this moment, I feel more and more far from this "festive concept of the food", by feeding exactly what we need, and not what we want or what we learned to eat, or what others tell us to eat. It is another concept of life, and it has to clean "others" cultural concepts... Just a thought...

mocachapeau said:
If someone were to ask me what brings me, or has brought me, great joy, or pleasure in my life, my mind would most likely start searching through my most cherished memories - my wedding day, both days that my children were born - moments like those. Somehow, I can't see my mind turning to last night's meat loaf or Monday's bowl of Fruit Loops.

This was really well put, mocachapeau! I once worked with a guy whose 'greatest joy' was that he and his wife cooked a different, great meal every night. All he talked about was food. It really is sad and brings to mind the "pleasure paradox" that Timothy Wilson writes about in Redirect. The thing that makes our most cherished memories unique is just that: they are surprising, special and mysterious, NOT part of our everyday routine. If we think about them too much, or try to understand them in order to re-experience them over and over, they lose their charm. By chasing the 'happiness' carrot, we're really unlikely to actually be happy! Like you say, we've forgotten last night's meal by the time of tonight's, like lab rats pushing the pleasure button, oblivious to the last 'high'.

And when you factor in some of the things from the health books (like the idea that we eat so much and look for so much variety BECAUSE we're not getting the nutrition we need), it's even sadder. We're convinced we're happy, when we're NOT. Our bodies are starving for proper nutrition. Then, factor in what Kahneman says about "ego depletion", and it's even SADDER. Kahneman quoted the study of Israeli parole judges, and it was found they were more likely to grant parole only after they had eaten. While hungry, they were lazier and rejected more cases.

I love green tea and drink around six cups a day.

Don't like black tea too much - too strong. Apart from that, if I drink black tea without having eaten some food before, I experience a very intense, but short period (around 15 min) of nausea to the point of recthing. This also happens to a minor degree with green tea. I googled this a while ago, seems quite commonly described, but nobody has come up with any idea as ro its origin.

Has anyone experienced this as well?

Another benefit which recently has been published is that black tea (but not green tea) reduces the incidence of Parkinson's disease by a whopping 71%, if you drink at least 23 cups a month.

__http://www.nni.com.sg/Newsroom/MediaRelease/Drinking+Black+Tea+Reduces+Risk+of+Parkinson+Disease.htm

Finduilas495 said:
From the European Heart Journal:

It doesn't only point out the favourable effects of black tea, but also the adverse effects of milk/casein when consumed with black tea.

Quotes from the study:

. . .
Consumption of tea has been inversely associated with cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.1 A broad body of evidence from experimental and clinical studies indicates that tea exerts antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and vasodilating effects, thereby rendering protection against cardiovascular diseases.2,3[/b] As the worldwide consumption of tea is second only to water, the beneficial effects of tea represent important public health issues. However, up to now, it is not known whether addition of milk to tea, as widely practiced in the UK, influences these vasoprotective properties. We therefore investigated the effects of tea with and without milk on endothelial function as a sensitive parameter of vascular wall homeostasis.4 Many pathophysiological conditions in the cardiovascular system are characterized by attenuated production of protective vasoactive substances in endothelial cells, resulting in a condition known as endothelial dysfunction.5 Undisturbed flow-mediated dilation (FMD) of human blood vessels is a hallmark of a functional endothelium, with impairment of FMD representing an early marker of vascular dysfunction.4,6,7

We address the question whether milk affects the beneficial effects of tea on endothelial function. We show here that black tea significantly improves endothelial function in humans, whereas the addition of milk completely blunts this amelioration. In our in vitro experiments, we demonstrate that milk caseins account for these inhibiting effects of milk.
. . .
The most striking finding of our study is that addition of milk to black tea completely prevents the biological activity of tea in terms of improvement of endothelial function. Our results thus provide a possible explanation for the lack of beneficial effects of tea on the risk of heart disease in the UK, where milk is usually added to tea.

I remember from many years back reading that Cayce advised not to add milk to coffee or tea:

942-1
Do not OVER use cream or milk in the coffee taken, for it forms that which is detrimental to the gastric flow of the stomach itself.

1224-3
Coffee may be used if desired, but NOT with milk or cream in same! for this is hard upon the heart, as well as the digestion. If a little sugar is desired, it is very well, but no milk or cream in the coffee.

1770-1
Are there any particular foods I should not eat?
Do not use milk or cream IN coffee, tea or the like, for these also produce activities which become combative within the assimilating forces of the body.

2868-2
(Q) Is coffee or tea harmful?
(A) With milk or cream, harmful.

Good work.

nicklebleu said:
...Another benefit which recently has been published is that black tea (but not green tea) reduces the incidence of Parkinson's disease by a whopping 71%, if you drink at least 23 cups a month.

__http://www.nni.com.sg/Newsroom/MediaRelease/Drinking+Black+Tea+Reduces+Risk+of+Parkinson+Disease.htm

I see two issues here. First of all, "correlation is not causation." On this matter, the article states that "The researchers intend to follow-up this cohort further to identify other factors that may affect an individual’s risk of developing Parkinson’s disease, as well as understand the mechanism of black tea’s protective effect on Parkinson’s disease." If you read the entire article carefully, it may actually presume causation rather than correlation, in places. It sounds very much like something I read about in a book recently. :) (Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow)

The other issue is that there are glaring problems with human diet, worldwide. It seems to me that in order to understand what causes Parkinson's, not just what can be used to reduce the risk through unknown mechanisms, you would want to start with the biggest problems first. Is Parkinson's actually caused to a large degree by "a deficiency of black tea?" What about, for example gluten, low cholesterol, low vitamin D, low magnesium intake, carbohydrate intolerance, and excess protein intake? These are potential factors in Parkinson's identified in Primal Body, Primal Mind.

When you have these huge problems that are being ignored, it is really hard to know what a research finding like this one means. Even when the "further research" is performed, it is likely to lead to another "what caused that" question.

nicklebleu said:
Laura said:
Well, I've read that black tea is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. Can anybody find more on that? I'm just not ready/willing to give up my tea because it gets me through the day. I have about 5 or 6 cups a day, two or three hot, two or three poured over ice.

I'm about the same ... if tea is out it's down to water and broth ... yikes!

But I suspect there will not be much information besides epidemiological studies, which essentially are worthless, because you cannot control for all variables. For instance I read a study recently showing an association of breast cancer in Hongkong women who drank green tea ...

It's the same problem with smoking: You might well be able to show that smoking is associated with lung cancer, but then smoking is usually associated with lower socio-economic status which itself is associated with higher cancer rates, etc ...

The other problem is that many vegetables are full of nutrients and anti-oxidants. But then also they are full of anti-nutrients (e.g. phytates), and these are hardly ever mentioned or analysed. So the overall benefit or risk hasn't been established. Maybe it's like smoking ... beneficial for some and harmful for some others ...?

I have done a search in the past re black tea but I didn't come up with meaningful data.

Megan,

Exactly the point I made a few posts ago ...

nicklebleu said:
Megan,

Exactly the point I made a few posts ago ...

There are similarities, but I would not say "exactly" by any means.

The article stated the conclusion of the study in a rather verbose way:

The results of this first community-based study of Parkinson’s disease risk factors in an Asian population showed that individuals who had a higher dietary intake of caffeine were less likely to develop Parkinson’s disease. This has been shown in several large population-based studies in USA and Europe. A novel finding in this paper was that black tea intake also reduced the risk for developing Parkinson’s disease. This inverse association between black tea and Parkinson’s disease was found to be unrelated to the caffeine content in black tea, suggesting that its protective effects are mediated through mechanisms other then caffeine. Green tea, in contrast, did not show any significant protective effects on Parkinson’s disease in the study.

So the finding was that black tea intake was correlated with "reduced risk" of Parkinson's, through mechanisms other than caffeine. They didn't actually say that in the article, though -- they said that black tea "reduced the risk," even though they don't even know at this point if black tea was the causative agent. In contrast, the actual abstract indicated only correlation, not causation:

Ingredients of black tea other than caffeine appear to be responsible for the beverage's inverse association with Parkinson's disease.

I don't see this kind of research as being of no value at all, but I would rather see research that could lead more directly toward prevention of disease. And I notice that legitimate research reports are readily spun into false claims. This might be intentional deception but it need not be, given what we have been reading in books like Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow.

I did not find support for your statement (below) within either the linked article or the abstract. Did I miss the references to 71% and 23 cups? Is there another link?

Another benefit which recently has been published is that black tea (but not green tea) reduces the incidence of Parkinson's disease by a whopping 71%, if you drink at least 23 cups a month.

I've been experimenting with oiled teas for about a year. I brew them in a Capresso coffee maker (with cone bucket/filter) that fills a thermal carafe (no additional heat). I used to use coconut oil but I now like ghee better. The current recipe goes like:

Big scoop of black tea (various choices)
5-finger pinch of white tea
3/4 tsp Guardian Spirit tea (sheep sorrel, burdock root)
3/4 tsp licorice root powder
few shakes of cinnamon
1 tablespoon ghee

The licorice root power and sheep sorrel are adaptogenic herbs (apparently) and assist the thyroid system (balanced energy). The licorice root powder is 50X sweeter than sugar and only a small portion of it gets past the filter. But it adds very pleasant sweetness and eliminates the need for xylitol. The Guardian spirit tea adds a rich "roundness" to the brew - very tasty. A full pot in the thermal carafe lasts a 1/2 day and is always hot. For those in the US, you get get all organic ingredients (except ghee) from Frontier Natural Products - pretty cheap.

And goes extremely well with :cool2:

Personally, I like the simplicity of steeping tea leaves in hot water and then drinking.

I had an interesting encounter with a Japanese artist in Berkeley, California a few months ago. I was tagging along with someone else, who brought one of his pieces to him for repair. He offered us tea and showed us his little ceremony for making and drinking it. It was quite mindful, if a little heavy on the carbohydrates, and I have tried to incorporate more of that quality into my own tea drinking, along with (occasionally) a bit of xylitol as well.

He also pointed to a bit of the Zen underlying his art. I feel as though I learned something, although I am at a loss to say exactly what.

Megan said:
I did not find support for your statement (below) within either the linked article or the abstract. Did I miss the references to 71% and 23 cups? Is there another link?

Megan,

The number stems from Table 3:
Tea drinkers of the 3rd tertile (>= 23 cups/ month) have a relative risk of 0.29 relative to non-tea drinkers, which is a reduction of risk of 71% ... It's in the full version of the study.

Apart from that, an epidemiological study will never ever be able to show causality, only associations. For causality you need a properly designed randomized and controlled trial.

Gawan said:
SeekinTruth said:
Laura said:
Thank you Finduilas! That's what I needed to know. I was SURE it was good for me because I just feel so much better when I drink a good, strong, cup of black tea with a bit of xylitol!

Thanks for posting that from me as well. Very interesting findings.

Great, because I was thinking in the last days also about that topic if black tea is good or not (and bought then some green-tea) and now to have some data which confirms it. :)

Thanks for sharing the findings, Finduilas.

For the last month (after the holidays), I only been drinking a filtered water and nothing else. I was wondering about drinking tea. I've thought about going back to green tea, which was the only tea that I've been drinking at all in my life plus it's "green" (due to a "program" that I've been attaching to all things "green"). Never had a black tea, and so I will try that with a bit of xylitol in the mornings.

It's good to read that other people have been adding butter to their tea. I thought I invented it :-[ , when I was adding coconut oil in my tea, because I found it the only way I could have it without feeling my stomach turning afterwards. And after reading this thread this morning, I made my black tea with half a spoon of xylitol and half a spoon of butter this morning, and it is delicious! I will try one spoon of butter tomorrow, it sure tastes like it can take some more butter.

Having this drink, it reminded me of when we were kids, on winter nights, our most common snack was toast with butter and honey, and a cup of tea with milk, that my mother used to prepare for us. I remember dipping the toast in my tea, and how the butter and honey in it made it taste so good. So having it now without milk, but xylitol and butter, still brings back those comforting memories, plus it is way more healthier now :)

Laura said:

I just love tea too and to be sure to have the best of your tea, you must have the water at the right temperature.

So for a black tea, the water must be at 100 Celsius, for a green tea at 80 Celsius, a white tea at 85 Celsius and for a rooibos at 96 Celsius.

May I tell you that a green tea taken at the right temperature is just wonderful while taken with water at 100 Celsius is not that great.

I received as a gift recently from my ex coworkers, a automatic tea maker (_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnM1zDjahM4) and with that appliance my tea is always perfect because I can the choose the type of tea (black, white, green..) and if I want it mild, medium or strong. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom