"Life Without Bread"

After a time following the leptin reset protocol, I'd stopped snacking entirely, and begun skipping lunch most days.

Then I felt it was no longer needed - and went back to normal protein amounts, and once again, around 50% meat - 50% fat for each of the (usually two) meals of the day.

And still no need for snacking, and I remain able, most days, to skip lunch - not hungry until several hours after. (with some recent exceptions - because a few days ago I ran out of pork fat, and I don't have any perfect substitute, so I use limited amounts of several other fats; and it's usually not fully enough)

My sleeping patterns remain stabilized - which as I have learned seems strongly connected to meal timings. Breakfast is when I get up (anywhere from 5:00 to 7:00), dinner is always at 6 in the evening; if I don't get the opportunity to eat until close to 7 or later, I simply don't eat until next day.

Napping I do, however - according to need and possibility, usually in connection to studying - sleeping for a bit after a session of reading and mental work - and it does not impact the overall sleeping cycle. Meal timings indeed seem one of the biggest factors setting the time we sleep and the time we wake up!

I think that ya'll need to understand what a fistula is as opposed to a boil. A fistula is when a boil forces a connection between an internal organ and the abcess. It can also force a passageway between the internal organ and the outside of the body. A channel coming out from a simple boil could be said to be a sort of fistula, but it generally means an abnormal passageway that is created by the forcing of the abcess. That is, the abcess may find it easier to burrow into the body and infect other organs, than to burrow its way out, to drain as a normal boil would do. (Though boils really aren't normal!) These abcessing processes can force numerous channels in several directions, with branches, causing large scale infection within the body in various organs, interstitial places, cavities, etc. In women, fistulas can be forced between the rectum and the vagina so that fecal matter can leak constantly through. It's a very, very, very unpleasant condition and it's no wonder that people who have it don't talk about it. A fistula can be forced between the inner chamber of the apocrine gland/anal glands to the interior of the colon and constant leaking from the infected gland will pour into the colon and fecal matter can leak into the gland. If it is a double fistula, fecal matter can leak through the channel to another opening that the infection has created to the outside of the body. We've read a few papers about it and looked at the images. It really can get awful.

What we have learned is that it is due to blockage of apocrine glands and the blockage is due to the fact that these types of glands empty into hair follicles and the hair follicles appear to be hyper-active in the production of keratin/skin cells. This is useful if you spend a lot of time in water because the skin is constantly being replaced and the apocrine glands are lubricating the skin appropriately to protect from the washing away of skin cells. But if you are not spending enough time in water, the system backs up. And it has nothing to do with scrubbing or soap or anything like that, nor does it have anything to do with any particular bacteria on the skin since the process begins INSIDE the body. It can crank up in several places at once, start forcing channels through the tissue, and the person can end up, as SeekinTruth and Atriedes have done, with a whole lot of tissue having to be surgically removed en masse. Atriedes has already had three such surgeries and we hope that this last one will be the last though he now has to have the surgeries to close the channels. These types of surgeries leave huge, gaping, wounds that take weeks or months to close. Basically, you can end up with having half of your butt surgically removed or a big chunk of your neck, or a big chunk under your arm, from the front/groin area, up into the lower abdomen where fistulas can be forced.

Apocrine glands are found in the neck, under the arms, in the groin and ano-rectal area. The condition is supposedly more common in women than in men. It's genetic. There is no cure, only control.

Stress appears to be a significant factor since the adrenals stimulate the apocrine glands to secrete.

I've created a thread for HS here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28029.0.html

Kniall, I moved your post there.

This is just a quick reply until I have more time. There seems to be a list of things to watch out for when going VLC, but I don't have that list (maybe we should compile one?). It can raise cortisol levels, cause insomnia, exacerbate skin conditions, and on and on. It doesn't affect everyone that way, just the people that it does. If you don't do well with it, "persisting" is not a particularly good idea.

I did experiment with the leptin reset protocol, and gained weight. I think my next step is to try to clarify my autoimmune issues through testing, which my regular doctor won't do. I could return to LR after I have more information. For the skin problem, I have been taking UltraBaths -- it does help. I even got the Jacuzzi to work again, which is a nice way to take them. But water seems to be the key.

I noticed that the other video I linked above has been making the rounds on Twitter as #RubSomeBaconOnIt. What I would really like is for "Making Bacon" to go viral. 1700 views isn't too bad, but "Rub Some Bacon On It" with nearly 3/4 million views is definitely doing better.

I suggest tweeting "Making Bacon" using #DontGimmeNoJunkFood, the opening line. It's not currently in use, it is much catchier, it carries a message we want to broadcast, and it leads back to sott.net.

Megan said:
I noticed that the other video I linked above has been making the rounds on Twitter as #RubSomeBaconOnIt. What I would really like is for "Making Bacon" to go viral. 1700 views isn't too bad, but "Rub Some Bacon On It" with nearly 3/4 million views is definitely doing better.

I suggest tweeting "Making Bacon" using #DontGimmeNoJunkFood, the opening line. It's not currently in use, it is much catchier, it carries a message we want to broadcast, and it leads back to sott.net.

That's not a bad idea Megan! I've been thinking about social media and why some things go viral while others don't. Perhaps the Making Bacon video is just quirky enough to be passed around this way, using Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and others? It also might help if someone out there would do a mash-up of it, change it around a bit, as that seems to be the thing to do these days.

I don't have a Twitter account myself, but I was thinking about reposting it to Facebook again and asking all my 'friends' to re-post it also, to see how far it will travel.

And you're right, even though it is humorous, the lyrics carry an important message about what foods not to eat, and with the link back to sott, it could potentially generate more traffic there.

So, I say go ahead and tweet it under the hashtag of #DontGimmeNoJunkFood, and if others pick up on it, so much the better.

I brought up the #DontGimmeNoJunkFood idea here in this topic because the content of the video ties in so well with the topic. I was going to try to move further "social media" discussion back to the topic we have for that but it seems that the other topic isn't available to all. What I will do instead is just make this as brief as I can. I am thinking that a good tweet might be something like

#DontGimmeNoJunkFood http://youtu.be/op8MrUKH82A "Saturated fat is where it's at"

If that doesn't get their attention I don't know what will. (Well I do, but I am not supposed to post things like that here.) You can also use a few well-chosen adjectives to describe the video -- funny, witty, etc. etc. (but always include the hash tag). There should be something in the message that makes people want to click the link.

Be sure not to omit the hash mark itself. A couple of tweets went out without it.

I have tweeted about the video a couple of times myself and repeating it more risks losing followers. A few of the people I follow, though, sometimes tweet about eating junk food themselves, and the next time I see something like that from someone with a lot of followers (say 10,000 or more) I am going to reply with the above message.

By all means share the link other ways as well. I have shared it on FaceBook and YouTube and on my blog.

Megan said:
I brought up the #DontGimmeNoJunkFood idea here in this topic because the content of the video ties in so well with the topic. I was going to try to move further "social media" discussion back to the topic we have for that but it seems that the other topic isn't available to all. What I will do instead is just make this as brief as I can. I am thinking that a good tweet might be something like

#DontGimmeNoJunkFood http://youtu.be/op8MrUKH82A "Saturated fat is where it's at"

If that doesn't get their attention I don't know what will. (Well I do, but I am not supposed to post things like that here.) You can also use a few well-chosen adjectives to describe the video -- funny, witty, etc. etc. (but always include the hash tag). There should be something in the message that makes people want to click the link.

Be sure not to omit the hash mark itself. A couple of tweets went out without it.

I have tweeted about the video a couple of times myself and repeating it more risks losing followers. A few of the people I follow, though, sometimes tweet about eating junk food themselves, and the next time I see something like that from someone with a lot of followers (say 10,000 or more) I am going to reply with the above message.

By all means share the link other ways as well. I have shared it on FaceBook and YouTube and on my blog.

This is a good idea about putting this video in blogs, I will do it. Also, a put it in Facebook 2 times. Maybe the team can put Spanish sub-titles? Think about all the Spanish people, from Spain and South-America! This is a lot of people you can reach...

I like this video, is very funny and sympathetic. And with good information.

Laura said:
loreta said:
I loose many pounds since the beginning of this low carbo diet but I feel much better. My question is: what kind of problems can we have if we continue to follow this diet in time? I take around 100 carbohydrates by day, and I erased from my diet all grains, gluten, milk and derivatives. I do this diet since around 3 months. Is this really a danger in continuing this diet?

Thanks for all the information all of you are giving and clues and readings you are doing. I think nutrition is a very complicated subject!

I don't think that Megan was talking about a "danger" in the diet. We've certainly been doing it for a couple of years now and feel fine. Megan is talking about people with certain conditions that are difficult to resolve. I certainly understand her point of view since we have similar issues here to one extent or another. Staying about about 100 grams of carbs a day sounds about right for you. Others may want to stay lower and still others may be able to tolerate a bit more. It mainly seems to be the form of the carb: simple carbs are apparently more damaging than the slow-break-down types. After a time, you can experiment with other veggies, but take care with that. Our experiment with cabbage was a bit painful! Mainly, staying away from grains and dairy seems to be the most important element - seed-type foods overall - so unless you have a problem, you don't have a problem.

Just curious, because this seems to be a slight change in what's been said up to now - are we establishing that being in ketosis may not be the best for everyone? I might be wrong, but I can't see someone being over 100g of carbs per day and still being a fat burner. A significant portion of the paleo community at large believe that fat burning is not the best for everyone all the time and that some do much better on a higher starch diet (mostly in the form of sweet potatoes and other root veggies; ie. "safe starches"). Are we echoing that position now? Or am I wrong and it is possible for some people to stay within ketosis at over 100g of carbs?

dugdeep said:
Just curious, because this seems to be a slight change in what's been said up to now - are we establishing that being in ketosis may not be the best for everyone? I might be wrong, but I can't see someone being over 100g of carbs per day and still being a fat burner. A significant portion of the paleo community at large believe that fat burning is not the best for everyone all the time and that some do much better on a higher starch diet (mostly in the form of sweet potatoes and other root veggies; ie. "safe starches"). Are we echoing that position now? Or am I wrong and it is possible for some people to stay within ketosis at over 100g of carbs?

I'm noticing that there is a small segment of people who are so damaged either systemically or due to DNA damage, or DNA expression influenced by parental diets, that they simply don't seem to have the inputs and outputs to make the switch. And some of them are just needing longer to repair and require the energy from the carb burning to do it before they can even get the fat burning going.

At least that seems to be what we are seeing.

Laura said:
I'm noticing that there is a small segment of people who are so damaged either systemically or due to DNA damage, or DNA expression influenced by parental diets, that they simply don't seem to have the inputs and outputs to make the switch. And some of them are just needing longer to repair and require the energy from the carb burning to do it before they can even get the fat burning going.

Well, I hate to say but in the last couple of years, my health has actually gotten worse. Now I will admit it's my own fault for not eliminating gluten, dairy, sugar, and carbs entirely, but I was going through a lot of stress and the death of both parents within seven months. But I did begin to eat red meat and fat, but all it did was make ME fatter around the belly (since I was still eating carbs). My digestive system is just too damaged (leaky gut) to process all that meat and fat, my adrenals are shot, my thyroid is whacky, I've got a rash on my forehead for over a year now, I'm full of candida, and now I've got insommnia which got worse around the time I started taking mega doses of Vit. D. Yee-ha!

Until I get all my underlying issues somewhat under control, the full Paleo thing just won't work for me. I am going to a doctor next week that I found on the internet who supposedly specialilzes in fixing some of that stuff, takes saliva testing, does bioidentical hormones, etc.. The bad part is she doesn't accept insurance. :/

Onward to better health!!

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Well, I hate to say but in the last couple of years, my health has actually gotten worse. Now I will admit it's my own fault for not eliminating gluten, dairy, sugar, and carbs entirely, but I was going through a lot of stress and the death of both parents within seven months. But I did begin to eat red meat and fat, but all it did was make ME fatter around the belly (since I was still eating carbs). My digestive system is just too damaged (leaky gut) to process all that meat and fat, my adrenals are shot, my thyroid is whacky, I've got a rash on my forehead for over a year now, I'm full of candida, and now I've got insommnia which got worse around the time I started taking mega doses of Vit. D. Yee-ha!

Until I get all my underlying issues somewhat under control, the full Paleo thing just won't work for me. I am going to a doctor next week that I found on the internet who supposedly specialilzes in fixing some of that stuff, takes saliva testing, does bioidentical hormones, etc.. The bad part is she doesn't accept insurance. :/

Onward to better health!!

Mrs. Peel, if you actually completely removed sugar, dairy and gluten - just those three - your health would improve dramatically. Just because you haven't done that yet does not mean that you cannot do it.

Mrs. Peel, if you're still eating over 60 or 70 grams of net carbs, you're not going to go into ketosis anyway. But if you're eating say over 150 grams, then it's probably not a good idea to eat the amount of fat that those of us who are in permanent nutritional ketosis are doing. I think, especially if you live in a relatively hot climate. And especially, if you're still occasionally eating gluten or casein or simple sugars. That's the only "danger" I see about this diet.

Also if you're in sugar burning mode but not eating quite enough of carbs, much of the meat you eat will have to be converted to glucose to make up for the lack of basic fuel/energy to support all your needs. From what I understood from Laura's last response, she's talking about people who DO try many weeks or months in carb ranges to go into ketosis, but it just doesn't happen. FWIW.

ADDED: Just saw your reply anart.

dugdeep said:
Laura said:
loreta said:
I loose many pounds since the beginning of this low carbo diet but I feel much better. My question is: what kind of problems can we have if we continue to follow this diet in time? I take around 100 carbohydrates by day, and I erased from my diet all grains, gluten, milk and derivatives. I do this diet since around 3 months. Is this really a danger in continuing this diet?

Thanks for all the information all of you are giving and clues and readings you are doing. I think nutrition is a very complicated subject!

I don't think that Megan was talking about a "danger" in the diet. We've certainly been doing it for a couple of years now and feel fine. Megan is talking about people with certain conditions that are difficult to resolve. I certainly understand her point of view since we have similar issues here to one extent or another. Staying about about 100 grams of carbs a day sounds about right for you. Others may want to stay lower and still others may be able to tolerate a bit more. It mainly seems to be the form of the carb: simple carbs are apparently more damaging than the slow-break-down types. After a time, you can experiment with other veggies, but take care with that. Our experiment with cabbage was a bit painful! Mainly, staying away from grains and dairy seems to be the most important element - seed-type foods overall - so unless you have a problem, you don't have a problem.

I have been on a very low carb, high fat diet now for a year and two months and I've never felt better in my life - no comparison. I've lost 42 pounds in that time and gained muscle mass. I don't have rashes, I don't have pain, I don't have headaches. I do occasionally have leg cramps when I'm not vigilant about keeping up with my magnesium and potassium - but that's it. By very low carb, I mean around 20 a day or less.

Any time I have experimented with adding more vegetables, I pay for it with increased carb cravings and a lot of intestinal gas. I eat zero sugar, gluten, dairy or grains, so - for my body at least - this has been a life saver and I see no reason to change anything. If something develops that is a problem, then I'll adjust.

Personally, my quality of life is 100% better than before I started this diet. I had, if you remember, a problem with my intestines, with my colon. That problem is there but the crisis are less and less recurrent. Anyway: the doctor said to me, "the specialist", that there is no cure for an irritable colon. OK sir, I said to myself. I don't believe him at all. So in that sense I will not stop for anything this diet, not at all. It is not just because of my colon (that I will cure I am sure with time and care), but because of the rest: how bad I was eating, how my food was an exit for my emotions, specially sugar and cakes. I am so happy to see that I am able to work on my health. And since one week I take a breakfast every day, a good one. I was unable to eat at mornings, now I eat every morning. This is a big change in my life. To feel my will when I go to the stores and don't care anymore for cakes, croissants, candies... This is something. I have a little notebook where every day I put and control my grams of carbo's. And the most important thing: how much I have to learn, yet.

All of this, I know I repeat myself, thanks to this forum. Without this forum I really don't know how my health would be.

Back
Top Bottom