"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
Pashalis said:
speaking of eating Brains, here in germany it is illegal, at least a butcher told me so when I tried to buy it several months ago.
according to the butcher it was made illegal after the BSE and other plagues emmerged a few years back here in germany.

that alone makes it interesting to me, who knows maybe there are some good things in brains for the human body and brain ?

They look and taste nasty. Yuck.

my grandma likes brains, she asked me to buy one at the butcher and then he told me about the illegality.
I personally never ate brain because I find it kind of strange and I can't bring myself to do it.
who knows maybe I like it ? but if it tastes like liver or heart I sure won't like it.

I like brains too. When getting a chicken head, I always try to get the brain intact to eat. I ate pig's brains as well when I was small although not now because I can't get it from the butchers. Maybe that's why I like it.

Pashalis said:
Laura said:
Pashalis said:
speaking of eating Brains, here in germany it is illegal, at least a butcher told me so when I tried to buy it several months ago.
according to the butcher it was made illegal after the BSE and other plagues emmerged a few years back here in germany.

that alone makes it interesting to me, who knows maybe there are some good things in brains for the human body and brain ?

my grandma likes brains, she asked me to buy one at the butcher and then he told me about the illegality.
I personally never ate brain because I find it kind of strange and I can't bring myself to do it.
who knows maybe I like it ? but if it tastes like liver or heart I sure won't like it.

My grandparents also like cattle's brain. They used to eat it sliced in small portions (around half an inch thick and no bigger than the palm of your hand), covered in wheat flour and fried. They described it as soft and kind of spongy, but tasteful.

If I'm not mistaken the brain is very fatty and has a high concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids. That is why I'm trying to convince myself to try it, but I would substitute the wheat flour for manioc flour, which is gluten free.

Just can't imagine whipping out the old pigs brain onto the frying pan in the morning!

Intresting though as my first feeling regarding this is one of repulsion and a sense of 'cannibalism'. This is probably a psychological reaction more than anything else tbh. Can't rationally think why I couldn't eat it other than 'ew'. Bit silly, since from the avalible data, it looks pretty darn healthy!

Guess I just need to find the cajones to eat them one day :P

I don't know for beef brain, because where I live people eat beef in very small percentage, everyone is usually on pork. I didn't saw sole brains at the butchers shop, but you can buy swine's head. It is considered as a very tasty specialty :)

I had the chance to try it at the village (people there usually are raising their own pigs for food). Taste is not very much different from unsalted pork meat. It haves different texture, more creamy. It is not so bad, but somehow, I cant force myself to eat it (but, I also cant eat intestines or testicles, also the specialty :) )

There, the specialty :) (you get used at the view after some time ;D )

Pečeno-prase-sa-jabukom.jpg

Avala said:
... you can buy swine's head. It is considered as a very tasty specialty

Yes it is, pork cheek is light and creamy when cooked, it also makes a form of bacon - Guanciale (Italian) when cured. A butcher will usually let you have cheeks cheaply, unless he's short of fat and meat for making sausages.

One easy way of eating pigs brains, and eyes for that matter, is to make brawn - simmering a pigs head (and trotters) for 4 1/2 hours, when at the end, the meat falls off the bones. The meat is then chopped finely and strained, a little of the 'simmering juice' added, and decanted into containers. The resultant brawn (sometimes called head cheese) is delicious and full of protein, nutrients, fat and gel, etc - all extremely healthy, and it goes a long way, meal-wise. In the UK you can pick up an organic pig's head for GBP4.00. Makes a great meal at tea-time. A complete meal in its own right.

On the topic of brains, I've tried two kinds before: fish and lamb. Both brains had a fishy flavor and spongy texture, which particularly surprised me with the lamb!

The fish brain came with a whole, wild caught snapper that I used to make a stock. I thought it'd be nasty and just tried it out of curiosity, but it actually was quite good. I also was able to focus a lot better than usual after eating it; there must be a lot of Omega-3's in fish brain!

The lamb brain, on the other hand, was "halal" (and thus was supposedly raised organically), and I stir-fried it with some turmeric, onion, garlic, and some other curry spices, as it's made in Islamic countries. It gave me a really nasty headache (which I normally never got at the time, even when eating spices)! So, if you do decide to try brains, I'd get them from a trustworthy source.

Laura said:
Pashalis said:

Yes, indeed. Thanks to the efforts of the PTB, we have abandoned millennia of food traditions and learned instead that nutritious food is yucky while consuming polluted, nutrient-deficient factory-farmed plants and animals and industrial chemical slop is good. Ain't it amazing?

And I have trouble with the yuck factor too, but I am pretty sure it can be overcome (and I am starting to eat liver regularly). The first step is to say yuck to industrial food, and to start looking for what else there is. But we need variety to really thrive, and I think that that is inevitably going to lead toward yucky-looking foods. I am planning to try fermented foods next.

Laura said:
Pashalis said:

I suggest exposure therapy.

It's worked very quickly and efficiently for me in regards to liver and heart, and I see no reason brains should differ. If you have access to brains, not making use of the opportunity would be a tremendous waste.

Ever since we learned about mad cow disease, I don't think brain from cattle and possibly other livestock should be consumed, until we know more.

Mad Cow disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), was discovered to have been spread not only through the environment (cattle sharing water and feed stations), but also through feeding rendered remains of livestock byproducts to cattle. it turns out that the disease can (spread through prions, which I believe are a form of protein that cannot be destroyed through high temperature.

The human version of Mad Cow disease, called Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease (CJD), results in a horrible death, where it basically eats away at its victim's brain, leaving holes that resemble a sponge.

Slaughter facilities in many countries are required to remove the specific risk material (SRM) that appears to contain the disease. This includes parts of the spine and brain, among other parts (Google BSE and SRM for more info).

Until we better understand the disease, I would advise one become familiar with this disease, it's risks and the animals thought to transmit it.

My $0.02, fwiw,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Ever since we learned about mad cow disease, I don't think brain from cattle and possibly other livestock should be consumed, until we know more.

Mad Cow disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), was discovered to have been spread not only through the environment (cattle sharing water and feed stations), but also through feeding rendered remains of livestock byproducts to cattle. it turns out that the disease can (spread through prions, which I believe are a form of protein that cannot be destroyed through high temperature.

The human version of Mad Cow disease, called Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease (CJD), results in a horrible death, where it basically eats away at its victim's brain, leaving holes that resemble a sponge.

Slaughter facilities in many countries are required to remove the specific risk material (SRM) that appears to contain the disease. This includes parts of the spine and brain, among other parts (Google BSE and SRM for more info).

Until we better understand the disease, I would advise one become familiar with this disease, it's risks and the animals thought to transmit it.

My $0.02, fwiw,
Gonzo

While a legitimate concern, the benefits of eating brain outweigh the risks as I have calculated. It only takes one time though, but that is a risk I am willing to take. As you said though, one should do the research to one's satisfaction.

I will echo Gonzo's warning about cow brains: Don't, unless you are 100% certain that it came from a healthy grass-fed cow and there was no cross-contamination at the slaughterhouse.

Help yourself to all parts of the fish, as long as it's not a poisonous species like fugu, or a freshwater fish (notorious for fine throat-stopping fishbones). Fish is almost the "perfect food" that it's no surprise the PTB have sabotaged the oceans, fraudulently inflated seafood prices, and spun yarns about mercury. I had a pet theory that the coastal East Asians descended from post-cataclysmic pescetarians and thus have different physical features from the inland folks. The evolutionists say we once were lobe-finned fish. The C's say we "lead the smorgasbord parade of that which surrounds [us] in the physical realm." So for the evolutionists to find a substantial case for the fish as ancestor, means something about the fish is more "primordial" or "rudimentary." Perhaps fish will be assimilated better because of this.

Maybe it is the ocean that makes the fish. The waters of life, some of which fell to Earth from Mars, mer, horse...

When my mom was in postpartum, the nurse gave her cod liver oil daily. My mom did the same to me, and regularly made me steamed oily cod.

If anybody is making pig intestines, please wash them out well, or else the dish will smell vaguely fecal.

bngenoh said:
...While a legitimate concern, the benefits of eating brain outweigh the risks as I have calculated. It only takes one time though, but that is a risk I am willing to take. As you said though, one should do the research to one's satisfaction.

When consuming organ meats you do need to know where it came from. It is advisable to visit the facilities where your meat is raised -- and if you are eating brains then you must be sure about them. If they won't allow that, that is all you need to know. I haven't attempted it with our meat sources yet, but we are probably going to switch sources anyway and we will do visits prior to that.

If anyone's looking for a way to stomach brains, try it scrambled in eggs along with spring onions or something. Tastes ok that way. I haven't eaten them in a long time though.

I have a question about my son's health (16) with regard to the diet.

Last autumn I changed my diet and started with changes in the diet of my kids. The first step I took was stop giving them apple juice. They both had drunk one litre of that stuff a day up to that point. My eldest son took it very hard and started drinking less. Didn't want tea, either, or just one cup. But that is all fine now. I give them one cup of organic apple juice a day (very diluted). And I measure the carbohydrates.

They first stopped eating gluten, then rice, then potatoes. And then the problems started. My eldest who was already slim lost a lot of weight during the transition. He has gone down from 65 kilos to 57 kilos. After some time he started complaining of fatigue and loss of strength. He could barely do his paper-round (two hours on his pedalbike once a week).
We went to see an orthomolecular doctor and she had his stools tested. There had been some blood in them and they had been green on one or two occasions. He was using the FIR blanket at the time and these symptoms disappeared afterwards. They found a higher level of IgA and a deficiency in 'lactobacillen'. The doctor couldn't do much other than saying he had to eat more vegetables. :huh: She tested him with some fancy device, but there was no deficiency in vitamine B12 or zinc.
His complaints became worse and so I had him referred to a paediatrician who tested his blood and urine and asked a lot of questions. His tests came back negative, no sign of auto-immune disease or anything else according to the paediatrician. His level of triglycerides was low, but his level of cholesterol was high. The PD started talking about change of diet and medication, but when I asked whether it was HDL or LDL that was elevated he just glared at me...

Yesterday my son ate some liver sausage and his food came back again. He has been taking betaine hydrochlorid for more than three months, but apparently still can't eat his food without these tablets (one tablet a day). I have also given him L-carnitine, digestive enzymes, milk thistle, fish oil and cod liver oil, potassium, L-glutamine, taurine, acetyl-L-carnitine, magnesium citrate (though very little, he dislikes the taste), ascorbic acid and MSM.
At first he didn't want to eat eggs or fish anymore, which he had loved beforehand. Things are on the up, because he likes eating fish and eggs again. His energy comes back slowly. Overall, he feels better. But he hasn't gained any weight.

I read aloud some quotes from LWB to him. We were digging for answers. And to explain to him as to why the diet is especially beneficial to him, since he is so thin. Thin people appear to be eating not because they are hungry, but to keep their blood suger levels up, according to Wolfgang Lutz. I had missed that one completely.

There is some stress in his life. He was tested by a psychologist with regard to his social-emotional development, who wrote in her report that the ongoing investigations by SS and others into his life produce stress and anxiety. (Also, the cold presence of my ex must have made things worse.)

This is what they eat: meat, fish and eggs, butter (he doesn't like lard at all), peas, cucumbers, apples and oranges and home-made chocolate. The chocolate is more fat than chocolate. It is the only way I can get him to eat him some fats (besides the sausages that he likes eating). The fats are: butter, cocoa butter and coconut butter, with a splash of cream and a bit of xylitol.
They have also made their own desserts, cake without wheat, so just the eggs, butter and xylitol. Tasted quite good actually!

Butter is out, or so I read in Mrs. Tigersoap's article on French SOTT?

They have started counting their carbohydrates themselves, asking me whether they can eat an extra apple, so that is good. They have been under 50 grammes a day, since end of April this year.

Is there anything I should or shouldn't do?

Back
Top Bottom