Liver pate.

Laurentien2

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This recipe past down from generation to generation in my family is easy to make and delicious. I took it out last week as it remind me of Christmas and fit very well with our new High fat, high protein diet.

Liver pate
- 1 pound of chicken live
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 pound of pork lard non-salted
- 3 tablespoon of butter
- 1/3 cup of buckwheat floor
- I cup of almond milk or hemp milk
- I box of anchovy filet (7-8 filets)
- 2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of paper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of thyme

Put the liver in a bowl, cover it with water and add the vinegar. Let it rest for 1 hour.
Heat oven at 350 F or 175 C
Once the liver as rested for 1 hour drain and put all ingredient in a food processor except the bay leaf. Better to cut the pork in small piece first with a knife on a board. Process until smooth and poor in a oven proof container, I use a Pyrex style, add the bay leaf, cover and place the container in a larger one containing water. This technique call chauffé au bain marie in French is use for slowly cook the mixture. If you don’t have a container with a cover, use aluminum paper it will work as well. Cook in the oven for 1:30 hrs, then reprocess it in the food processor except the bay leaf. The result is a smooth liver paté. I suggest that you poor it in separate bowl keeping one in the fridge and freezing the others.
Suggestion : Before serving, you can process some of the pate with a tablespoon or two of almond milk to give it a smooth texture, then add some chopped dry fruit. Last week-end, I did a portion with cranberry another with figs ( I soaked them first) and another instead of almond milk, I added a once of Porto. I got 2 thumbs up from every guess.
You can serve them with gluten free cracker or as I did yesterday, I did a test and dehydrated some blinis and they make the most delicious crouton. Just make some thin blinis and put them at very low heat in your oven, cut them in four pieces first, and voila, healthy crouton.

This post from Laura reminded me to share how we eat liver around here. Recently we started making our own "Paleo paté", with very few ingredients and lots of fat. It is really cheap if you make it with porc liver (veal liver is super expensive here in France), and it has become one of our favorite Paleo snacks. You can make a big batch and process it, so that you have cans for future consumption as well.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 porc(veal) liver (or a mixture of liver, chest and throat - we get it from the butcher, already ground, and it's super cheap)
10 slices of smoked bacon
2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion
(you can modify the quantity of spices according to your personal taste)

Instructions:

1. If you have only liver, cut it into small pieces and let it marinade in vinegar, olive oil and salt for at least 1 hour. Rince. (This is in order to soften the liver and make your paté have a more creamy consistency)

If you have a mix of liver, throat and chest, ignore this step. The mix is better if you don't like how liver tastes. But both are yummy if you do!

2. Pour the lard into a big pot, and add the liver or mix. Add the slices of bacon. Cook at low temperature for about 1 hour. Let if cool down.

3. Mix in a food processor until you have a paste, or a bit less if you prefer your liver to have solid pieces of meat. Add the spices to the paste. Taste and make adjustments with your spices according on your personal taste.

4. Refrigerate, or process for storage (all tips about the latter are posted in the Preparedness thread.

Here are a few pictures of our paté. Einstein lives in our kitchen, and likes to find himself new places to hang around at all the time. When we made the paté, he just couldn't resit it. ;)

Here he is congratulating us for the result:
Einsteinpate2.jpg

Here he is tasting our dehydrated meat crackers with paté:
Einsteinpate1.jpg

and here is when he just went crazy and decided to test gravity in the paté (or that's what he said):
DSC_01442.jpg

:P

Thanks for posting and I like to make it.

And the Einstein fellow seems to be a bit edacious for his size :D.

That sounds delicious! Do you have the recipe for the dried meat crackers? Or is it just large portions of pemmican spread with pâté?

Love the Einstein action figure in the pics. :lol:

I've had some and I can attest - it's very delicious! I love the meat cracker idea too, the pate plays off well with bacon and sausage in the morning or steak/pork chops at night. Well done Ailen. :thup:

NormaRegula said:
That sounds delicious! Do you have the recipe for the dried meat crackers? Or is it just large portions of pemmican spread with pâté?

Oh, that's just thin slices of beef that we put in a food dehydrator for about 6-12 hours. You can find those online.

_http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/185-3247550-0510966?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dehydrator

Ours is similar to this one: _http://www.amazon.com/Waring-DHR30-Professional-Dehydrator/dp/B005RRBM8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344103592&sr=8-6&keywords=dehydrator

Pate looks lovely Ailén , I used another recipe using butter and it did not taste as nice. I shall give your recipe a try as you have added more goodies to the mix!

That looks very yummy! I also like the idea of meat crackers :D

Ailén said:
NormaRegula said:

Oh, that's just thin slices of beef that we put in a food dehydrator for about 6-12 hours. You can find those online.

_http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/185-3247550-0510966?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dehydrator

Ours is similar to this one: _http://www.amazon.com/Waring-DHR30-Professional-Dehydrator/dp/B005RRBM8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344103592&sr=8-6&keywords=dehydrator

Thanks for the links, Ailén! I've been meaning to do stuff like this for some time. Have always enjoyed the taste of liver and pate.

Oxajil said:
That looks very yummy! I also like the idea of meat crackers :D

The dried meat cracker sounds yummy and is a great idea!

Omg, the dried meat crackers sounds PERFECT! Thanks for sharing this! :dance:

Those are such wonderful pictures, Ailén! Thanks for sharing them, and for the recipe (which sounds tasty)!

thank you! I was looking for new ways to cook liver and use the lard I have, and this is just perfect!

Thanks for the Paleo version, I love pate. I missed having something to spread it on so the idea of meat crackers is brilliant.

Thanks again for the receipt - very delicious! And the best way to eat it is, when it is cooled down, cause still warm it makes a sore throat somehow. And it is the same like Liverwurst, I always loved to eat :).

Gawan said:
Thanks again for the receipt - very delicious! And the best way to eat it is, when it is cooled down, cause still warm it makes a sore throat somehow. And it is the same like Liverwurst, I always loved to eat :).

It's even better to eat the day after it has cooled down. :)

Back
Top Bottom