Liver pate.

Prodigal Son said:
Gawan said:
Thanks again for the receipt - very delicious! And the best way to eat it is, when it is cooled down, cause still warm it makes a sore throat somehow. And it is the same like Liverwurst, I always loved to eat :).

It's even better to eat the day after it has cooled down. :)

Indeed. And today Atreides managed to get pork rinds almost perfect, and they make delicious "crackers" for paté. He added a bit of oil and some herbs, and it tasted just like garlic toast.

They looked like these:

PORK_RINDS.jpg

The recipe still need s tiny bit of perfectionning, but we'll post it as soon as we got it. We are on version 2.0 now. :D

Ailén said:
Indeed. And today Atreides managed to get pork rinds almost perfect, and they make delicious "crackers" for paté. He added a bit of oil and some herbs, and it tasted just like garlic toast.
(...)
The recipe still need s tiny bit of perfectionning, but we'll post it as soon as we got it. We are on version 2.0 now. :D

Oh, I'm looking forward to that recipe! Pork rinds are made with the skin, right? So far I've been doing pork scratchings whenever I render lard, but have been completely unsuccessful in trying to turn the skin into crispy rinds, and always end up making some sort of stew with it.
Right now I have batches and batches of stewed skin in the freezer :rolleyes:

For people from Holland, who don't have a credit card and are looking for a food dehydrator.

you can also look here _http://www.aximax.nl/catalog/bomann-dr435cb-droogautomaat-p-70482562.html

it's 26,90 euros.

Bo said:
For people from Holland, who don't have a credit card and are looking for a food dehydrator.

you can also look here _http://www.aximax.nl/catalog/bomann-dr435cb-droogautomaat-p-70482562.html

it's 26,90 euros.

That one does seems to be made from plastic. Not sure how bad that would be? Maybe stainless steel is better?: _http://www.globetrotter.nl/bestellijstdrogers.html

Gertrudes said:
Oh, I'm looking forward to that recipe! Pork rinds are made with the skin, right?

Yes. Just the skin, with a tiny bit of fat.

Right now I have batches and batches of stewed skin in the freezer :rolleyes:

So do we! Except ours is raw. That's why we started experimenting. So don't throw them away, I'll post the recipe asap. :thup:

Oxajil said:
Bo said:

it's 26,90 euros.

That one does seems to be made from plastic. Not sure how bad that would be? Maybe stainless steel is better?: _http://www.globetrotter.nl/bestellijstdrogers.html

Yup. I don't know how bad that would be, but it's protected against overheating and seems to have good airflow. I think atleast that helps. I can't afford the expensive ones(like the one you linked.. So for me that one would be perfect. Paying 160 euros is a bit extreme for a dehydrator imo.

Ailen I have a question regarding the mix of liver, throat and chest:

how much of wich part are you using to make the pate?
or in other words how much percent of either liver, throat and chest are you using roughly in the mix?

Pashalis said:

or in other words how much percent of either liver, throat and chest are you using roughly in the mix?

A third of each. You can ask the butcher to do it for you. We get it already mixed together and thinly ground, ready for cooking. The mix is good, because not only does it make the liver taste lighter, but it also adds a lot of fat (chest and throat are quite fatty).

We rencently also came up with a "ketogenic" snack Laura posted about on the Life Without Bread thread: Take 1/3 of paté and mix it with 2 thirds of lard. It forms a light and creamy paté. You can spread it on meat, dried sausage, or roll it on a leaf of lettuce and have a "spring roll". :D It's delicious, and if you have one or two of those, you're done eating!

Ailén said:
Pashalis said:

A third of each. You can ask the butcher to do it for you. We get it already mixed together and thinly ground, ready for cooking. The mix is good, because not only does it make the liver taste lighter, but it also adds a lot of fat (chest and throat are quite fatty).

We rencently also came up with a "ketogenic" snack Laura posted about on the Life Without Bread thread: Take 1/3 of paté and mix it with 2 thirds of lard. It forms a light and creamy paté. You can spread it on meat, dried sausage, or roll it on a leaf of lettuce and have a "spring roll". :D It's delicious, and if you have one or two of those, you're done eating!

thanks.

since I'm not a big fan of liver I buy 1,5 kg porc liver , 2kg beef throat and 2kg beef chest and the butcher will all ground and mix it for me.
I probably will not be able to cook it all at once so I have to freeze half of it. and I have to make new lard too (bought 7 Kilo :shock:)

Awesome pics!
Will try and make some. Already cooked veil liver well soaked in lard and sometimes butter and it's delicious.

« Reply #1 of Ailen on: August 04, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Ingredients:

1 porc(veal) liver (or a mixture of liver, chest and throat - we get it from the butcher, already ground, and it's super cheap)
10 slices of smoked bacon
2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion
(you can modify the quantity of spices according to your personal taste)

HI, Ailen. The photos of your pathe are very artistics. That pathe looks delicious and with chicharrones (see photo of reply 15) or corn chips is perfect.

I've never been fat, I am on the diet only to improve my health.

You already have followers in the art of cooking, Approaching Infinity edible adornment also looks delicious.

caballero reyes said:
« Reply #1 of Ailen on: August 04, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Ingredients:

1 porc(veal) liver (or a mixture of liver, chest and throat - we get it from the butcher, already ground, and it's super cheap)
2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion

HI, Ailen. The photos of your pathe are very artistics. That pathe looks delicious and with chicharrones (see photo of reply 15) or corn chips is perfect.

I've never been fat, I am on the diet only to improve my health.

You already have followers in the art of cooking, Approaching Infinity edible adornment also looks delicious.

What kind of diet are you on? Corn is a no-no, corn gluten is very similar to wheat gluten and causes the same problems; and corn chips are especially a no-no being junk food.

I reduced sugar to almost zero, not wheat tortillas and only one fruit per day: mango, apple or a piece of pineapple, meat and vegetables, but I lost 4 kilos and I felt weak, add one of two little spoons of sugar and 4 corn tortillas and retrieved my weight. I wrote "corn chips" but I meant " totopos " (pieces of corn tortillas fried in olive or omega 3 oil).
The heat here in sonora is terrible and not easy to change drastically the way of feeding. I hope to quite sugar and gluten completely this winter.

Ailén said:
Ingredients:

2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion
When you say 1 liver (porc/veal) how much chest and throat do you add? And does it matter if chest/throat are porc or beef (it's basically just minced meat right?)

Back
Top Bottom