Lumbago, what advices?

Hi MK Scarlett,

In my job, as a Pilates teacher, I have seen hundreds if not thousands of people with lumbago. I even call it the "disease" of the new millennia! That, and shoulder/neck problems.
Thing is, people do get better in 99% of cases.

Adding to the advice you've been given, I would strongly suggest you to start doing some VERY SIMPLE core work exercises. In my experience people tend to go for a quick fix: a massage, a chiropractor, osteopath, and while those can and are very helpful on the short term, on the long term you have got to built up your own self defences by strengthening the muscles that support your spine, the muscles that stabilise your pelvis and, perhaps most importantly, by developing the awareness of your posture and correcting it. Your awareness is your single biggest tool against lumbago and any other joint disorders.

This is something I feel very, very strongly about because I have seen countless people who, after a surgery had been booked, began to do regular, proper core work and no longer needed surgery, nor the quick fix. I've seen it transforming people's lives profoundly, examples including from almost being in a wheelchair and suffering for years into becoming marathon runners, and yes, this is a real life example.

There are several techniques that work with posture and core, obviously the one I know best is Pilates and that's why I would suggest for you to find a good instructor and have one to one sessions with him/her. It can really to miracles for you if the practitioner is experienced and knows his stuff.

In the meantime, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery :flowers:

Gertrudes said:
Hi MK Scarlett,
[...]

Adding to the advice you've been given, I would strongly suggest you to start doing some VERY SIMPLE core work exercises. In my experience people tend to go for a quick fix: a massage, a chiropractor, osteopath, and while those can and are very helpful on the short term, on the long term you have got to built up your own self defences by strengthening the muscles that support your spine, the muscles that stabilise your pelvis and, perhaps most importantly, by developing the awareness of your posture and correcting it. Your awareness is your single biggest tool against lumbago and any other joint disorders.
[...]

I'll second Gertrudes suggestion regarding working with the core muscles. While I'm not experienced at doing Pilates, I've found some great relief, improved posture and increased physical endurance by regularly doing yoga exercises, but only the ones which require using the body symmetrically. The exercises have kept my recurring back issues away.

My husband, however, has a chronically spastic psoas muscle, THE main core muscle. (He fell off the top of a 6' ladder a couple of years ago) He has a physically demanding job and was trying to work through the pain with NSAIDS and narcotics, and then when those weren't helping, combined alcohol to get more mileage out of the pills. His decision to get clean and sober was the first step, but addressing the pain and chronic spasm was paramount to keeping him on that road. Fortunately, his business is seasonal and this Winter, especially, has afforded him the opportunity to rehab.

We found some books about the psoas muscle but the most helpful and easily accessible information was Lawrence Gold's youtube videos on somatic exercises specifically for releasing the psoas muscle. He provides some introductory explanations on the importance of a functional healthy psoas for back health and some releasing exercises to balance both sides and restore the structurally supporting muscles of the lower back and pelvic region. After practicing some of the beginning movements for about 6 weeks almost daily, my husband has been reporting slow progress and can feel things slowly moving and adjusting. Since his right side was chronically spasming (always contracted), it created a torquing effect on the S-I (sacro-iliac) joint, impinging nerves, blood supply and neighboring muscles... causing issues well beyond the muscle pain such as right side sciatic and groin pain, both of which have diminished since starting the somatic exercises. The psoas is deep inside and impossible to massage, and spinal adjustments were temporary and did not address the spasming psoas CAUSING the misalignment. Reflexology treatments help bring relief for a little while, and will continue those treatments.
He still has difficulty sitting for more than 10-15 minutes before a knot begins developing in his right keester, but he's gradually relying more on the relaxation/releasing exercises when that occurs instead of popping ibuprofens, or anything stronger for that matter. Big Step for him! To some this rate of progress may seem slow and laborious, but for someone who's been basically anesthetizing the problem thereby advancing it into a chronic state, any small increment of improvement is progress.

Hopefully, sharing this experience will help those with back/neck/imbalance issues and at the very least impress on the necessity for healthy core muscles and how to care for them with more awareness and dedication. And if this may help someone avoid/overcome a drug and/or alcohol addiction due to pain issues, well, that is simply priceless.

If you're interested in somatic exercise, Lawrence Gold's website is a good place to start, IMO, only because he provides a lot of information about somatics and discusses many structural conditions related to the disfunctioning psoas muscle(s). He markets a somatics program, of course, but also offers many free tutorials to get started, at least enough to help one get out of a painful situation. Sort of a try before you buy approach. For the record, we're still in the trying it out stage.

His homepage: http://www.somatics.com/about.htm ...then find your way to conditions, articles and videos.

Basic breathing video: Free Your Psoas - Locating the Center of Breathing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNXpM5G-VA

Also, Laura, thank you for the reminder about the KT tape. We have some left over from a shoulder issue a few years back; helped while it stayed on, but working (sweaty and oily skin) made it loosen and come off. Going to give that a try as well, since sweating is definitely not an issue this Winter.

Thank you all for your advices and sharings, they are pretty instructive! ;)

So at this point, I started to read the Sarno's book: Healing Back Pain. Wow! I now read the half, and how to say? I can see myself in almost every pages! :rolleyes: The funny thing is while I was thinking on yesterday morning about what I had already read inside the book, I had the previous sentence that came in to my mind. And later in the afternoon, when I got to the page 49, I read that when Sarno is talking about one of his patient who read his previous book and who was reporting to him: "He said he saw himself on every page." Well, I am not the only one! I must say I am pretty convinced of what is said in this book, because I already had something like that in mind. I do know the tight relationship between emotions/subconscious and manifestation on the body. So I am rather "ready" to understand the meaning.

I already experimented something like that in last October, when I left home for a week, whereas for 13 years that I live with my husband, we had ever been separated even for 48h. And I got an issue on my back some days before the departure. Fortunately, I had an appointment with my osteopath/acupuncturist 2 days before the D-Day, and we could "fix" the back pain, when he asked me what was my fear? My fear was to let my husband without know how I will be able to manage a such unusual situation. I am very sensitive. Once this was said, all the osteopathy/acupuncture he made to me, gave me the opportunity to leave my home without "fear", just a little "sadness", which is pretty better as an externalized emotion, than a unconscious fear. That's why I "get" the meaning of Sarno's work.

For now, I just started the second step of the book: The Treatment. I will receive the 3NS Kinesio in the middle of the next week, so, by waiting for, I created a Pdf which explains how use them, why, where, with pictures. The only thing is it is in French. As palinurus provided the link to the equal one in English, it could help to read them both to be accurate in the comprehension of it (for the French speakers). Well, it is done, so why not share it?, is surely the best reason to do it. I also made some tiny stretching (thank you Gertrudes & Skyfarmr for recalling me that :flowers:), and I could have an almost normal day on yesterday. I started the morning by telling to myself: "I do not want the same day than the previous one; I want to do whatever I want to do, and You, back pain, I do not want to see you today". Well, I do not know how this could have any effect, but I was able to do all I had to do, by simply doing things with happiness, no stress induced by deadline (because I often want doing things quickly - even if well - to be able to jump to another one the most fast I can!), and it was fun!

I am learning about how make things in daily life without have to bear them, but just to carry them. Which must induce a kind of acceptance rather than a "fight". At least, it is how I see things, for now. Today is a bit less easy, but nothing bad. It is as it is, and it is often erratic, what tilts me to think that it MUST have an anxiety/anger in game. I now have to figure out what is it or what are they, and play my role in this introspection.

Attachments

• Manuel d'utilisation du TAPING.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
This topic fall right on time.

I have some back pain issue for around 10 years. A visit to my Etiopath once or twice a year and some warm up exercises in the morning mitigate the pain.

Eventualy the pain would comes back slowly, stronger and stronger. Now, that as been something like 2 years I didn't see my Etiopath (thanks to the HITT maybe). I am at a point where the pain is so intense that I don't feel to move a lot. Money in, money out, ok, I've got those 45€, I will call the Etiopath for an appointment, that is said...and wham : I fall down the ladder... (that was yesterday)

Result : at list 2 sprains, one on the right foot, the other arround the left knee... and the back didn't apreciate. Now I have my two crutchs and has say the translator "Its crutches hurt him armpits but assist him to walk." Well I would not say "armpits" but that certainly add some pain. I would not even say "walk" : what can we call this way to move ?

Now if I must use those tapes right now, I think I could cover 60 to 80% of my body.

So, I'm waiting for the above related appointment, I have some green clay on my foot (suposed to lessen the inflammation), I have ordered the tapes and, right now, I will fill the bathtub (Warm water, haaa !) : the only way I could thing of doing EE classes at the moment.

Good evening, forgiveness, thank you.
Jérôme

What is your diet like, Jérôme? I've found that, unless I injure myself, my chronic, crippling, arthritic pain has disappeared on the Paleo/Keto diet.

I wish I could say I am on the keto diet, but I must admit I have not been able yet to get totaly rid of the tendencie to eat too much protein.

I'm working on it.

For the rest meat, fish, salami, animal fat, ghee , bone broth, olive oil, avocado, spices, poultry from time to time. And I have try to test some veggies and nuts but that was a mess. So I'm back to the basics.

And as the gut don't feel very well (that may be relatede to the back pain by the way) I am working on what I undertand to be the Histamine problem. So I am organizing myself to put salmi away and replace bone broth by stock.

Laura said:
Maybe put away the spices too, for awhile.

Good idea. I have problems with herbs and spices, even the beneficial ones such as tumerec and ginger. Same with onions and garlic.

Yeh, garlic and onions are out for me too.

I had take the habit to put ginger/cinnamon/turmeric in every meal.

Last meal was out of spices, even pepper. I think I can feel a little difference. Now, I have to finish this veal's stomach cooked with turmeric...

Laura said:
Ellipse said:
Thanks for your interesting messages. I think that both physic and mind way must be explore to relieve the body. The problem is to find the good practitioner and the right therapy. And eventually the right combination of therapies! Not easy. As a back sufferer (but not from lumbago, from the upper part) I have try several therapies. Here's what I know and this can be try:
- bone setter
- structural osteopathy
- soft osteopathy
- acupuncture
- physical therapy (no effect)
- Cayce treatments

If you've never tried taping, do, and then give advice. I suffered from crippling back and neck pain for over 30 years and tried everything; taping is the only thing that gave almost instant relief.

Well, the problem with taping is that it can't be applied on the back when you're alone :(

Ellipse said:
Laura said:
Ellipse said:
Thanks for your interesting messages. I think that both physic and mind way must be explore to relieve the body. The problem is to find the good practitioner and the right therapy. And eventually the right combination of therapies! Not easy. As a back sufferer (but not from lumbago, from the upper part) I have try several therapies. Here's what I know and this can be try:
- bone setter
- structural osteopathy
- soft osteopathy
- acupuncture
- physical therapy (no effect)
- Cayce treatments

If you've never tried taping, do, and then give advice. I suffered from crippling back and neck pain for over 30 years and tried everything; taping is the only thing that gave almost instant relief.

Well, the problem with taping is that it can't be applied on the back when you're alone :(

In my experience it's definitely possible to apply the patterns on the lower back by yourself. It take a couple of times to get it right but after that it's just as efficient as if you get someone to help you.

For those who might be interrested I will continue to talk about by ongoing journey.

So, Saturday evening I fell from a ladder. Arm my left foot primarily.

I did several things related in previous posts. On sunday evening I put my feet in some ice for 20 minutes. Apparently it wasn't a good idea. The next morning my foot as grown in size.

On monday afternoon I saw the Etiopath. He though I had a broken bone (5th metacarpus). He fix my back essentially.

I get to the emergency. It wasn't the better day to be there. I enter arround 4pm and get out at 11h30pm... with the confirmation of the broken bone on the x-ray.
They prescribe me some pain killers in case of pain (IMO there should be much more pain to take those pills) and a barouk shoe (shoe for forefoot off-loading).

Got the shoe wenesday morning, put it on.
Saw the orthopedist wenesday afternoon. He told me to get of the shoe...

Apparently it is not a bad fracture, no extra x-ray needed. I should walk on a flat foot, especially for the first 2 weeks. Should be back to normal in about 6 weeks.

Will have to go back to the Etiopath in 4 weeks because my back will probably not like the posture.

And now I am applying ice on 3 particular points of my foot indicated by the Etiopath... for 1 minute and half 3 times a day. The foot has deflated a bit.

Will probably try the taping on my back when my foot will be fixed.

It is fun to learn...
Jérôme

Goemon_ said:
For those who might be interrested I will continue to talk about by ongoing journey.

So, Saturday evening I fell from a ladder. Arm my left foot primarily.

I did several things related in previous posts. On sunday evening I put my feet in some ice for 20 minutes. Apparently it wasn't a good idea. The next morning my foot as grown in size.

On monday afternoon I saw the Etiopath. He though I had a broken bone (5th metacarpus). He fix my back essentially.

I get to the emergency. It wasn't the better day to be there. I enter arround 4pm and get out at 11h30pm... with the confirmation of the broken bone on the x-ray.
They prescribe me some pain killers in case of pain (IMO there should be much more pain to take those pills) and a barouk shoe (shoe for forefoot off-loading).

Got the shoe wenesday morning, put it on.
Saw the orthopedist wenesday afternoon. He told me to get of the shoe...

Apparently it is not a bad fracture, no extra x-ray needed. I should walk on a flat foot, especially for the first 2 weeks. Should be back to normal in about 6 weeks.

Will have to go back to the Etiopath in 4 weeks because my back will probably not like the posture.

And now I am applying ice on 3 particular points of my foot indicated by the Etiopath... for 1 minute and half 3 times a day. The foot has deflated a bit.

Will probably try the taping on my back when my foot will be fixed.

It is fun to learn...
Jérôme

Hi Jérôme,

It sounds like you're going through a tough couple of weeks :O.

In my experience, one of the best things to do is to try to lead as normal life as possible while not overstraining the damaged area. In other words it's better to do a little and feel how your body reacts than to way for everything to be OK. I've spent many years focusing on all the things I couldn't do and how much pain was involved in this movement or that movement. When I changed my way of thinking to accept the fact that no matter what I do, there'll be some amount of pain but I might as well do what I would like, that changed a lot for me in terms of quality of life.

I wish you a happy mind in your recovery :)

I have received the tapes today.

I will try them on my ankles and knees.

Question : How long and how often to we keep them on ?

Also if I understand what I have read elsewhere on the forum I could use DMSO to, is that correct ?

Good day, forgiveness, thank you,
Jérôme

Back
Top Bottom