Mass Migration - a plan, or just a consequence of some other plan

mabar said:
So then, I think that, unfortunately, we are going to keep seeing news like this: http://www.sott.net/article/300723-Chickens-come-home-to-roost-50-dead-NATO-war-migrants-found-decomposing-in-back-of-Austrian-truck from last week, or this from today, Police Rescue 24 Suffocating Refugees From Van in Vienna _http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150902/1026495601.html from today, because, there are people -as always and with everything- that take the opportunity to do business against the needs of other people _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_smuggling.

Yes, unfortunately, we are probably going to keep seeing things like that because I doubt that Germany or other EU countries will make the travel for migrants easier, and there will always be people who will offer their smuggling services to migrants. And there will also, among them, always be some imbeciles who will forget that human beinga need oxygen to breathe, or that boats can accommodate only certain number of people.

At least they do not travel like in "The Beast" also called as "the Dead Train, although, is not much difference from the travels by boat, though, or being packed in a vehicle. Those people (immigrants) should be received with honors after making such a trip, not being punished.
_http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2014/06/05/318905712/riding-the-beast-across-mexico-to-the-u-s-border&prev=search
_http://www.businessinsider.com.au/perilous-journey-central-american-immigrants-take-to-get-to-us-2015-1

That is also horrible way to travel. But how do they enter US? Do they get off the train before the border? I suppose that the trains are inspected before they enter US.

I am an immigrant – and I believe “migrant” is a far from neutral term

A seemingly neutral term like "migrant" is so potentially pernicious because we don’t take the kind of care we should in assessing its effect on us.
BY JENNIFER SAUL

I am an immigrant. I came to the UK 20 years ago from the US to teach philosophy at the University of Sheffield, where I am now a professor. My American accent remains very strong. I used to be surprised when, despite hearing me speak, people would express anti-immigration sentiments to me, with a clear expectation of agreement. I would tell them that I am an immigrant. “I don’t mean you”, they’d respond, surprised that I count myself as an immigrant.

This shows that seemingly neutral words – like "immigrant" – are not always used in a neutral way. The supposedly neutral word "migrant" is increasingly used by the media to describe the large numbers of desperate people travelling into and across Europe, fleeing war and persecution.

But this use has recently come under attack.

To some, this attack is baffling. A migrant is just a person who migrates, surely, and these people are migrating. What can be wrong with this truthful description? One thing that might be wrong with it, however, is that, according to the UN, that’s not what a migrant is:

The term 'migrant'… should be understood as covering all cases where the decision to migrate is taken freely by the individual concerned, for reasons of 'personal convenience' and without intervention of an external compelling factor.

While maybe among the desperate risking their lives to escape places like Syria and Afghanistan, there is a person or two who has joined them for reasons of “convenience”, these people are surely vanishingly rare. According to the UN, then, it is simply factually wrong to call these people migrants.

But why, a more compelling objection goes, should we even care about language? People are dying and need help, and there goes the left again worrying about words. The reason to care about language is that the language we deliberate in shapes our deliberations. We’d see this without hesitation if racial slurs were being used to describe these people. And few people of good will would defend Katie Hopkins’ use of the term "cockroach". We know all too well how such clearly dehumanising words help put in place patterns of thought that make genocide possible. But "migrant"? "Migrant" is not a slur.

Those who study the intersection of language and politics, however, have become increasingly aware that terms that seem innocent, like "migrant", can do some of the worst damage. This is because we are not aware of the ways that they are affecting our thought. Almost all of us, below our consciousness, are prone to ugly biases that we would reject if we were conscious of them. We see this in studies showing that people presented with the same CV judge it to be less attractive if the name at the top is a typically black one.

Apparently innocent words can come to function as dogwhistles, speaking to our unconscious in ways that our egalitarian conscious selves would reject if only we realised what was going on.

In America, the apparently race-neutral term "welfare" has come to be so strongly associated with black people that attitudes to any policy described using this term correlate with racial attitudes. Fascinatingly, adding an explicit reference to race removes this effect – if it’s too obvious, our conscious egalitarian selves step in. And this is why a seemingly neutral term like "migrant" is so potentially pernicious: it is not, as the UN recognises, actually a neutral term. But it seems like it is – which means we don’t take the kind of care we should in assessing its effect on us.

The suggested alternative terms are "refugee" – which calls attention to the fact that these people are fleeing intolerable conditions of violence; and the simple "human being" – which reminds us of our moral obligations. Either of these is an improvement on the inaccurate "migrant", which threatens to distort our discussions without our even realising it.

Professor Jennifer Saul is from the University of Sheffield's Department of Philosophy.

_http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2015/09/i-am-immigrant

Persej said:
That is also horrible way to travel. But how do they enter US? Do they get off the train before the border? I suppose that the trains are inspected before they enter US.
well, is practically impossible to get through the border above the train. Immigrants usually make contact/pay a "coyote"=smuggler to get into US, through the desert, walking or tight packed in vehicles, stories about finding bodies in trucks had been several through the years. They also encounter Minute Man surveillance and sort as well as immigration border patrols, many ending in concentration/detention camps/jails, to be returned. And, they encountered another set of troubles before they try to get into the US; while being/traveling in Mexico they face gang violence, sexual assault, extortion, kidnapping, and recruitment by organized crime, extorsions from Mexican immigration or not authorities, or being killed if they not want to be recruit by gang members ...

_http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/25/world/la-fg-mexico-mass-graves-20110425

edit: spell check

mabar said:
well, is practically impossible to get through the border above the train. Immigrants usually make contact/pay a "coyote"=smuggler to get into US, through the desert, walking or tight packed in vehicles, stories about finding bodies in trucks had been several through the years. They also encounter Minute Man surveillance and sort as well as immigration border patrols, many ending in concentration/detention camps/jails, to be returned. And, they encountered another set of troubles before they try to get into the US; while being/traveling in Mexico they face gang violence, sexual assault, extortion, kidnapping, and recruitment by organized crime, extorsions from Mexican immigration or not authorities, or being killed if they not want to be recruit by gang members ...

You are right, those people should be received with honors after making such a trip.

In Europe it is much more civilized, but the question is how long will that last because at one point EU countries will probably close their borders for immigrants.

Persej said:
mabar said:

You are right, those people should be received with honors after making such a trip.

In Europe it is much more civilized, but the question is how long will that last because at one point EU countries will probably close their borders for immigrants.

Europe will never close the borders. Immigrants serve a useful political tool to control the native populations (divide & conquer) plus immigrants provide cheap labour for exploitation.

Btw, by immigrants I presume you mean poor and impoverished people in desperate situations, not rich well to do foreigners who call Europe home. Do you have a name for the latter or do you think Europe will also shut the door to them?

luke wilson said:
Persej said:
mabar said:

Europe will never close the borders. Immigrants serve a useful political tool to control the native populations (divide & conquer) plus immigrants provide cheap labour for exploitation.

Btw, by immigrants I presume you mean poor and impoverished people in desperate situations, not rich well to do foreigners who call Europe home. Do you have a name for the latter or do you think Europe will also shut the door to them?
Well, in my case, by immigrants, I refer to all people that migrate that change for whatever reason their location to reside, then again, for poor and impoverished people in desperate situations, perhpas I should had called them refugees, but even though, those who might be rich or middle class are in similar situation as to ... learn to live new things, new culture, new language. When is talked about immigrants, I always remember a song, that I like it very much, it is called "Solo Le pido a Dios" (I only ask God)

I tend to have utopian whishes as to how should be things in the world including borders between countries, ... what do you mean that If I..., or perhaps it was addressed to Persej? ... of this question: "do you think Europe will also shut the door to them?" ...shutting the doors won't stop the influx of immigrants either, though.

This is the translation:
I only ask of God
That i am not indifferent to the pain,
That the dry death won’t find me
Empty and alone, without having done the sufficient.

I only ask of God
That i won’t be indifferent to the injustice
That they won’t slap my other cheek,
After a claw (or talon) has scratched this destiny (luck) of mine.

I only ask of God
That i am not indifferent to the battle,
It’s a big monster and it walks hardly on
All the poor innocence of people.

I only ask of God
That i am not indifferent to deceit,
If a traitor can do more than a bunch of people,
Then let not those people forget him easily.

I only ask of God
That i am not indifferent to the future,
Hopeless is he who has to go away
To live a different culture.

I only ask of God
That i am not indifferent to the battle,
It’s a big monster and it walks hardly on
All the poor innocence of people.

luke wilson said:

They already closed the borders for immigrants from Serbia, Macedonia and Bosnia:

On 19 September 2014, the German Bundesrat (Federal Council) passed a law according to which Serbia, Macedonia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina will be added to the list of safe countries of origin. Applications of asylum seekers from these countries will be considered as manifestly unfounded. Therefore, these applications will not be examined on their merits, unless asylum seekers present facts or evidence that they might be persecuted in spite of the general situation in the country of origin. Until now, the list of safe countries of origin in Germany consisted of Ghana and Senegal in addition to all EU Member States.

The new law follows a rise in asylum applications by citizens from these countries, which represented a sixth of all asylum applications in 2013.

_http://www.ecre.org/component/content/article/70-weekly-bulletin-articles/833-germany-adds-serbia-macedonia-and-bosnia-herzegovina-to-the-list-of-safe-countries-of-origin.html

Yes, rich people will always find some way to emigrate to EU. Money can always bend the rules. Spain and Greece are giving citizenship to everyone who buys a real estate of certain value.

Thanks, I'm just getting confused by the terms being used. These people they are calling swarms and cockroaches are actually asylum seekers/refugees running from a war and those camped out at Dover trying to get into the UK are a mixture of both economic/war refugees. Asylum seekers/refugees by definition are fleeing a desperate situation from their country of origin which in this situation is there because of policies created in Europe/America. They are still immigrants/migrants but in this broader category you have people who are not fleeing a desperate situation e.g. Nicolas Cage living a chilled out life in the English countryside.

By not addressing the situation in the right terms, the msm is seeking to hide the culpability of Europe in creating this situation and they are seeking to create images in the public's mind of lazy lay abouts who syphon welfare from the host state (supposedly at the expense of hardworking citizens) I.e. the image of immigrants of various ethnicities, some being eastern european residing in inner cities of various western european countries (who usually happen to be economic refugees to begin with!)

Just saying... They wont be closing their boarders to all migrants, impossibility. And asylum seekers/refugees don't care what the gov do, they'll still try to get in regardless. By putting crazy obstacles in the way only means that lives will be lost in desperation trying to overcome those obstacles. To cure the problem, Europe/america need to stop causing wars and economic hardships in all these countries these people are coming from. Obviously they wont do that though, so instead we have an endless stream of propaganda and manipulation plus pitting groups of people against each other all whilst the psychos laugh and sip champagne at dinner parties'.

I understand what you want to say luke. I guess we use different terms in different countries. Here, we don't call them asylum seekers because they don't ask for asylum here. They do that in Germany, UK, Sweden, but not here. And because we don't have such problem with them here, that term doesn't have any negative connotation here. So I apologize if I maybe sound rough to our forum members from western countries when I say migrants/immigrants, but that is the term, along with refugees, that our media are calling them.

And we also don't have rich people who want to emigrate to Eastern Europe so we don't connect that term with them also. :)

But speaking of wires and borders, where do you go to learn how to build a super-fence? US? Maybe. But even better - Israel! Now that's a country that knows how to build a proper fence.

Hungary, Bulgaria make inquiries to Israel about the design of its border barriers with Egypt

Faced with a surge in migration from the Middle East and North Africa, two European countries are exploring the possibility of erecting towering steel security fences along parts of their borders, similar to Israel's barrier with Egypt.

The type of fence the countries have expressed interest in is the one Israel has constructed along its 230 km (143-mile) border with Egypt, rather than the steel-and-concrete barrier that separates the West Bank from Israel and East Jerusalem.

The Egyptian fence was built over three years and completed in 2013, with the aim of stopping an influx of migrants from Africa and guarding against raids by Islamist insurgents.

The fence cost the Israeli government around $380 million. A similar-style barrier is likely to cost foreign customers about 15 percent more - up to $1.9 million per km, according to industry sources, although hills, forests and other difficult European topography could drive the price higher.

Erecting such barriers would represent a significant step-up in security for Hungary and Bulgaria.

The former is already completing a 3.5-metre-high fence along its border with Serbia, while the latter has erected a fence about 3 meters high on its Turkish border. But the Israeli-designed barriers, as well as being taller, would be more heavily fortified and have more sophisticated electronic defense.

_http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.674381?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Persej said:
I understand what you want to say luke. I guess we use different terms in different countries. Here, we don't call them asylum seekers because they don't ask for asylum here. They do that in Germany, UK, Sweden, but not here. And because we don't have such problem with them here, that term doesn't have any negative connotation here. So I apologize if I maybe sound rough to our forum members from western countries when I say migrants/immigrants, but that is the term, along with refugees, that our media are calling them.

And we also don't have rich people who want to emigrate to Eastern Europe so we don't connect that term with them also. :)

But speaking of wires and borders, where do you go to learn how to build a super-fence? US? Maybe. But even better - Israel! Now that's a country that knows how to build a proper fence.

Hungary, Bulgaria make inquiries to Israel about the design of its border barriers with Egypt

Faced with a surge in migration from the Middle East and North Africa, two European countries are exploring the possibility of erecting towering steel security fences along parts of their borders, similar to Israel's barrier with Egypt.

The type of fence the countries have expressed interest in is the one Israel has constructed along its 230 km (143-mile) border with Egypt, rather than the steel-and-concrete barrier that separates the West Bank from Israel and East Jerusalem.

The Egyptian fence was built over three years and completed in 2013, with the aim of stopping an influx of migrants from Africa and guarding against raids by Islamist insurgents.

The fence cost the Israeli government around $380 million. A similar-style barrier is likely to cost foreign customers about 15 percent more - up to $1.9 million per km, according to industry sources, although hills, forests and other difficult European topography could drive the price higher.

Erecting such barriers would represent a significant step-up in security for Hungary and Bulgaria.

The former is already completing a 3.5-metre-high fence along its border with Serbia, while the latter has erected a fence about 3 meters high on its Turkish border. But the Israeli-designed barriers, as well as being taller, would be more heavily fortified and have more sophisticated electronic defense.

_http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.674381?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Thank you so much for explaining.

Over here, the media is using that term not innocently in this situation (I presume deliberately!) but where you are it looks like it is different.

Anyways, back to the fences and walls they are planning on building to keep people out.

Today I was listening to Mr. Hollande, this clown. He insisted, in his little hypocritical speech, on the term refugee. He said "They are not migrants, they are refugees!" with passion, almost.

Talking with people I can see a sort of confusion. Today with a librarian: he said: "these immigrants come in Europe to look for jobs, and there is no job here. They think we live in a paradise." The confusion comes with the word immigrant. True! An immigrant is someone that comes for a job, to change his labor situation, etc. A refugee is someone who leaves a very dramatic situation, dangerous situation, where his life is in danger. So... language is so important. I said to the librarian that these people are not coming for a job, but because there is war in their country. I think he did not listened to me.

I wonder if this myth of people stealing other people's job is even true in reality... I've never actually looked into it but it's one of those rallying cries of right wing xenophobes.

The economic and war refugees are very often the same. When its war, there is no economy, life is bad. Western mass media started to use the split terms only recently. Its not so hard to guess why, because in that way they can refuse hospitality to majority of the people ("Oh, my! They're just economic refugees! Not the real ones!")

Avala said:
The economic and war refugees are very often the same. When its war, there is no economy, life is bad. Western mass media started to use the split terms only recently. Its not so hard to guess why, because in that way they can refuse hospitality to majority of the people ("Oh, my! They're just economic refugees! Not the real ones!")

Exactly. Maybe if they are considered "refugees" the quotas are different that if they are immigrants. And if you are immigrant maybe the quotas are high. But... the politicians are terrible. They use now the word refugee and also say: they came because of the terrible ISIS. So they take for them this situation to do politics, do continue their politics of the war. To continue war. :deadhorse:

Recently there was:
EU refugee crisis is absolutely expected, says Putin: a result of Western policies in the Middle East: http://sott.net/en301121 and
Head of Chechen Republic on migrant crisis: U.S. and EU created situation by destroying Islamic nations
http://sott.net/en301133

It turns out Putin was not the only one, who could see a problem coming. In late August 2010 Colonel Muamar Gaddafi was in Rome, he did not blame western policies, but:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1307704/Colonel-Gaddafi-demands-4bn-EU-prevent-immigration-Libya.html said:
'Pay me £4bn a year and I'll stop Europe from turning black': Col Gaddafi demands EU cash to stop immigration via Libya

By Nick Pisa for MailOnline
Updated: 14:57 GMT, 31 August 2010

Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi is demanding £4.1billion a year from the EU to stop illegal immigration which 'threatens to turn Europe black'.

Col Gaddafi made the demand as he ended his controversial two-day visit to Italy where he caused outrage in the Catholic church by hosting two 'convert to Islam parties'.

Today furious Italian MPs slammed his demands - made in his farewell speech - for cash to stop immigration and compared them to a 'Mafia extortion racket'.

In the speech Gaddafi, 67, told his audience in Rome: 'Italy needs to convince her European allies to accept this Libyan proposal - five billion euro to Libya to stop illegal immigration.

'Europe runs the risk of turning black from illegal immigration, it could turn into Africa.

'We need support from the European Union to stop this army trying to get across from Libya, which is their entry point.

'At the moment there is a dangerous level of immigration from Africa into Europe and we don't know what will happen.

'What will be the reaction of the white Christian Europeans to this mass of hungry, uneducated Africans?

'We don't know if Europe will remain an advanced and cohesive continent or if it will be destroyed by this barbarian invasion. We have to imagine that this could happen but before it does we need to work together.'

Critics immediately targeted Gaddafi, pointing out how the UN High Commission for Refugees closed its Libyan office earlier this year.

Opposition MPs called on Silvio Berlusconi to distance himself from the Libyan leader and his attempts to secure money from the EU.

Silvana Mura, of the anti-sleaze party Italy of Values, said: 'We need to know immediately if the Italian government intends to support this proposal which is in essence an unacceptable blackmail.

'We have already had to support the clown antics of the Libyan leader on his visit to Italy, with the approval of the government and now he is asking for a pay off from Europe.'

In 2008 Italy and Libya agreed a deal that allows the Italian navy to intercept illegal immigrants and return them to Libya.

The move triggered sharp criticism from the UN's refugee agency and human rights groups.

Thousands of people each year attempt to cross the Mediterranean from Libya to Italy and many die en route, while those who are caught are taken back to camps in Libya where conditions are appalling.

Luigi de Magistris, an MEP with Italy of Values, said: 'The dictator Gaddafi wants five billion euro to stop immigration but where will the money go?

'Will it go towards those deported and put into concentration camps in Libya?'
Other comments and reports on the same can be found on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/7973649/Gaddafi-Europe-will-turn-black-unless-EU-pays-Libya-4bn-a-year.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11139345

Gaddafi invited the EU to work together with him. They did not want to. Today there was an offer the EU from Russia to work together on the issue. If it was difficult for Italy and the EU to accept the offer from Gaddafi, how would you rate the chances from Russia?

Earlier in 2009 there was this article from The Guardian, the pressure is being build to present Libya as no good.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/jun/14/gaddafi-berlusconi-refugees-human-rights said:
Libya liberty central
Treating refugees as refuse
Bill Frelick

With the visit of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to Rome this week, Italy and Libya are celebrating their recently ratified Friendship Treaty. But this pact, which has already resulted in joint naval patrols that run roughshod over refugee and migrant rights – as Tana de Zulueta commented – is hardly cause for celebration.

About 500 migrants have already been summarily returned to Libya since early May, and boat departures from Libya have been sharply curtailed. Today, the migrant detention centre and asylum reception centres on Italy's outpost island of Lampedusa are empty, a dramatic contrast to the way they looked in January, when 1,850 people were crammed in space designed for 800, with many sleeping on the floor. But asylum seekers don't simply disappear. Many will be denied the opportunity to seek asylum from war and persecution and almost all will be subjected to indefinite detention, poor conditions and perhaps abuse.

Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi promised to provide $200m (£121m) a year over the next 25 years through investments in infrastructure projects in Libya. Italy provided three patrol boats to Libya on 14 May, and has promised three more. Italy has also said that it will help construct a radar system to monitor Libya's desert borders, using the Italian security company, Finmeccanica.

In building their friendship agreement, Berlusconi and Gaddafi seem to be regarding migrants and asylum seekers from other countries as expendable. The deal enables Italy to dump migrants and asylum seekers on Libya and evade its obligations while Libya gets investment, bolstered security infrastructure and acceptance as Italy's friend and partner.

But can Libya be regarded as a partner when it comes to refugee protection? Libya has not signed the 1951 Refugee Convention and does not have a domestic asylum law. The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) operates in Libya without formal agreement from the government. While it has recently been able to visit migrant detention centres and intervene to prevent deportations of migrants from Libya to their home countries, the accounts of asylum seekers in Malta and Italy who passed through Libya indicate that it remains unsafe for migrants forcibly returned there.
Advertisement

More than 50 migrants and asylum seekers in Malta and Italy whom I interviewed in May told me consistent stories of being held indefinitely in overcrowded, dirty conditions in Libyan detention centres, mistreatment by guards and collusion between smugglers and police. I was also in Libya in late April, where Human Rights Watch had been promised access to migrant detention centres during our 10-day visit. But we were never allowed to enter any of the centres, an indication the authorities have something to hide.

Italy, Greece, and Malta certainly have an unfair burden for examining asylum claims for Europe under the rules of the Dublin Convention, which generally make the country of first arrival the responsible party. The solution lies in amending the rules so that EU states will share the burden equitably. But pacts with countries outside the EU that have not made commitments to protect refugees, have no asylum procedures and have histories of inhuman and degrading treatment are not the solution.

Berlusconi justifies his new policy on legal grounds, contending: "Our idea is to take in only those citizens who are in a position to request political asylum and who we have to take in as stipulated by international agreements and treaties," which he describes as "those who put their feet down on our soil, in the sense also of entering into our territorial waters". On political grounds, he argues that Italy is not and should not be a multi-ethnic society. Both arguments are objectionable.

The 1951 Refugee Convention, to which Italy is a party, bars returning people "in any manner whatsoever" to places where their lives or freedom would be threatened. It doesn't specify where they are being returned from, but where they cannot legally be returned to. The idea that preventing their entry and forcibly returning them cancels the obligation to protect people from persecution stands the purpose of the Refugee Convention on its head.

Berlusconi also said: "On the boats people who have the right to asylum, there are virtually none. There are very exceptional cases only." But the Universal Declaration of Human Rights guarantees the right to seek and enjoy asylum from persecution. Last year, 75% of the migrants who arrived in Italy were asylum seekers, and 50% of them were granted some form of international protection. More than 90% of them came through Libya.

Berlusconi's declaration about a "multi-ethnic society", which has drawn condemnation from the Italian Catholic church, indicates a growing climate of intolerance in Italy.

By treating Libya as a human dumping ground, how can Italy and the EU not expect that Libya in turn will treat these people as refuse? Human rights are universal – they must be respected in all countries, on land and at sea.
For examples of other articles from early 2011 about the refugee situation and Libya see also http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2063399,00.html or
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100082984/gaddafi-floods-europe-with-refugees-this-is-beginning-to-feel-like-the-fall-of-rome/

The Guardian and the medias and politicians were up in arms about Libya. Rather than trying to help out and work togehter with Muammar Gaddafi, the EU/Israel/US killed him, rather than treating Libya as a human dumping ground they turned it into a wasteland. While 4-6 years ago they could blame Gadaffi for his lack of ability to handle all the problems of Libya and surrounding countries what is the situation in the EU today? Will the EU protect human rights and democracy in the EU the same way as they ended up doing in Libya? The last question makes almost no sense, and that is also the problem with much of the foreign policies in the EU nations.

Back
Top Bottom