Newborn and Infant Health and Care

A different kind of book on parents and children is Polly Berrien Berends' book "Whole Child / Whole Parent." Published in 1983, it's not well known, but has a foreword by M. Scott Peck, which is a recommendation. A few quotes might expose its foundations.

• Parenthood always comes as a shock. Postpartum blues? Postpartum panic is more like it. We set out to have a baby; what we get is a total take-over of our lives.
  • Especially with our first child, we tend to take too much responsibility--both credit and blame--for everything. The more we want to be good parents, the more we tend to see ourselves as making or breaking our children.
  • The trouble with most problem-solving books for parents is that they start with the idea that the child has a problem. Then they try to tell us how to fix the child, or else, after blaming the parent, they suggest how we can fix ourselves.
  • The gain is not the having of children; it is the discovery of love and how to be loving.
  • Everything that happens is either a blessing, which is also a lesson, or a lesson which is also a blessing.
  • The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your own life and be taught by it.

Every child has two meanings. On the one hand, he is an image and likeness of his parents. As such he not only bears physical resemblance to them, but will also evolve a mode of being that is the spitting image (though at times a mirror image) of their mode of being. This is true for our children; it is also true for us. What is apparent (what seems real) to the parent and is thus the central issure around which the parent's life is conducted will also be the parent of the child's experience and way of being. Thought is the parent. Every child is thus a model child. To the parent then, the child becomes a teacher. Through his being an image and likeness of the parent, the child explains (makes plain by bring out into the open) the parental thought of which the parentchild is also an image and likeness. p.45

When we have done everything necessary -- provided food, toys, diapers, exercise -- and she is still hungry and restless, we are brought face to face with the fact that her essential needs and being are spiritual. We can do all the right, all the loving things, as diligently and perfectly as we like, but if our consciousness is filled with resentment, worry or frustration she remains unsatisfied, uncomfortable, restless. Because she is aware of when love is present and when it is not. So what the child sees (is aware of) determines her being (how she is). p.46

The idea of love as a way of treating each other, as a feeling between each other, puts it on a have and have-not basis. Such love is always experienced as loss on the part of both the lover and the beloved. There is no more practical definition of love than that it is the realization of the truth of being of the beloved. p. 47

As Me, Inc., we are inclined to believe that the purpose of being with our children is twofold: we take care of them, and we entertain them. But this narrow subject/object outlook leads to several kinds of unhappiness, such as feeling taken advantage of by our children, neglecting them, never having enough time for ourselves, etc. The valid motive for our being together is to further understand what really is. What is love? What is truth? What is life? p. 128

Last edited:
Taking care of yourself and your partner is priority, along with taking care of your baby. If you are not okay your baby will not be okay.
Recognise when you need some time to yourself to go for a walk, do some exercise, meditation, cold shower- whatever helps you feel good, ask your partner or other family member to care for baby while you take this needed time for self care. Don’t feel like you have to do everything on your own. In other cultures it takes a whole village to raise a child, in our western culture we are so separated that we tend to try to do everything on our own which can burn us out, especially as new parents.

Keeping a check on your mental and physical health is essential as it can take many months, even years, for your baby to settle into a routine of sleeping, which can change and fluctuate for no apparent reason.

If at any time either you or your partner aren’t doing okay get professional help as soon as possible. I’ve had post natal depression 3 times, it’s horrible, it took me 3 years to recover from the last round.
I’m pregnant with baby 4 and doing everything I can now to try to avoid it when baby girl arrives in September.

Congratulations on the arrival of your new little family member. :love:
This is a very important point👍 As they say, happy mother - happy child 😊 That means do the things you enjoy and take care about yourself. So in case you want a cup of coffee - have it, smoke a cigarette - do it , need some help - ask for it, feel like having a glass of wine - why not?! This rule will help a mother to avoid emotional burnout and depression. Although it’s not a popular academic opinion it’s just sincere advice from experience🙏

Here are some more tips for the health of the mother and a newborn.
Taking vitamins will be a great help to the stressed organism , most important omega 3 , Ferrum and iodine.
Herbal tea for lactation (to my mind oregano helps best of all😉)
Breastfeeding starting right after birth and until one year at least is highly recomendable for the health of mother and child
Sing to a child , this way you transmit your energy to a child and establish ancestral connection.
And most important, plenty of hugs and kisses🥰

There are such benefits of hugs as:

You will relieve the child of stress. In 1997, scientists observing laboratory rats came to an interesting conclusion. Mother rats who diligently cared for their young and licked them often grew more stress-resistant offspring. Apparently, any kind of tactile contact works in a similar way, including hugs. The ability to cope with nervous shocks is an important skill for a modern person. Chronic stress increases the risk of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, coronary heart disease, depression and drug addiction. Do you want to protect your child? Just hug him, right now.

You will stop hysterics. Small children are capricious not because of harmfulness and not because of "bad character". They just can't control their emotions. Least of all, at such moments, the baby needs your instructions that “it’s not good to behave like that.” The child needs help, he is trying to attract attention.

You will help the mental development of the child. Many admirers of educational toys are well aware of such phrases as “tactile stimulation”, “fine motor skills of the hands” and “development of cognitive abilities”. The bottom line is that while playing with small objects, the receptors of the hand send signals to the brain, which contributes to the maturation of the nervous system, the development of thinking. Hugs - the same stimulation of tactile receptors, plus - positive emotions.

You help the baby to grow. Scientists have noticed that children who grow up in conditions of lack of emotional connections, on average, have less height, weight, head and chest circumference. In order to denote stunting due to lack of care and attention, a special term was coined - psychosocial dwarfism. It occurs - presumably - due to some hormonal effects. The amazing thing is that such children grow more slowly, even if they eat very well.

Reduce the risk of getting an infection. Everyone probably knows that close contact with other people contributes to the spread of infections. But few knows that hugging is a mean of its prevention. In 2014, scientists from Carnegie Mellon University conducted a study in which 404 people took part. The subjects were found out how often they conflict with others and hug, then they tried to infect them with SARS and were placed under observation. It turned out that people who hug often and have a higher level of social support are better protected from infection. Even if they become infected, their illness is milder.

In the 1970s, the death rate among premature babies in Colombia was as high as 70%. Babies died due to infections, respiratory diseases and simply because of insufficient attention. However, doctors noticed that newborns who were next to their mothers felt much better. This is how the kangaroo method was born. Its essence is that the child should regularly contact with mom (or dad) "skin to skin."Studies have shown that the kangaroo method improves the functioning of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems of the newborn, helps to more effectively control body temperature, and save calories. Such babies grow better and gain weight. Although the method was originally proposed for preterm infants, regular skin-to-skin contact is also beneficial for term infants.

Here's a list.
Breastfeed baby.
Give baby everything baby wants for at least the first 6 months. Don't ignore baby. Don't let baby cry unattended.
No vaccines.
No blood drawn for genetic testing.
Don't let baby out of your sight at the hospital.
No circumcision.

This worked for me, in a similar way, very well with my first daughter, when my baby was born she didn't have ANY vaccinations until after six months, and it was only a few like polio and measles and it was always ONLY one at a time. You can look for supplements for infants such as vitamins and even Iodine in a specific portion.
Something very important that also worked for me is spending the most time at home with the baby for at least the first 6 months, avoiding taking the baby to public places as well as avoiding contact with people sick with the flu in your home as much as possible. As well as avoiding touching the baby's hands, because they regularly put them in their mouths. I have a four month old baby at home and yes, she has come down with the flu with a cough a couple times, but no fever, I think it has helped a lot that I'm breastfeeding the baby and vitamin D, I think that is a key to keeping the baby healthy at least the first 6 months before starting with the pures and make it easier to start using more supplements and vitamins.

Here's a list.
Breastfeed baby.
Give baby everything baby wants for at least the first 6 months. Don't ignore baby. Don't let baby cry unattended.
No vaccines.
No blood drawn for genetic testing.
Don't let baby out of your sight at the hospital.
No circumcision.

What about a foot-heel-prick blood neonatal screening? Is this what you refer to?

I did newborn checks and baby's midwife and TCM doctor (same woman) did newborn checks. No blood analysis tests or vaccines.

I'm not sure specifically what neonatal blood screening tests - presumably genetic. I'm doing further research now. Preliminary research finds:

Neonatal Screening consists of analyzing the blood of newborns, which is taken from the heel. When any change is found, it is considered that the newborn is "suspicious" of a metabolic disorder, and it must be confirmed through other directed studies.

Does it test for the same things a Noninvasive Prenatal Test (NIPT) tests for? I'll update on the research as and when.

All in all, a very useful list. Thanks, @hlat .

From this document above, at the top of its second page (translated with DeepL);
What is Neonatal Screening?
It is a study that should be performed on all newborns between the second and fifth day and before they are 30 days old. {They are 42 days - 6 weeks - old now}
Its objective is to identify metabolic {genetic/congenital} diseases early, in order to provide timely treatment and prevent serious and irreversible damage to the health of the newborn or even endanger their lives.

Since most patients with metabolic errors appear to be the norm at birth, it has been necessary to develop diagnostic methods to "discover" those affected. One such strategy is Neonatal Screening, which is now widely used in all countries with high standards of health.
Neonatal screening involves testing the blood of newborns, which is taken from the heel. When a change is found, the newborn is considered to be "suspicious" for a metabolic disorder, which must be confirmed through other targeted studies.

Basic Neonatal Screening vs. Expanded Neonatal Screening

Basic Neonatal Screening is a procedure that has been effective in the early diagnosis of only 4 inborn errors of metabolism, such as phenylketonuria, congenital hypothyroidism, galactosemia and congenital adrenal hyperplasia. {The Noninvasive Prenatal Test (NIPT) apparently does not test for the same. NIPT is a blood test for the pregnant mother that tests for signs of Down syndrome, trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 by analyzing free fragments of DNA in the bloodstream. It assesses the risk of chromosomal disorders in a fetus.}

Currently in all SEMAR medical units, screening is carried out in which 67 diseases are analysed, including 67 diseases, known as "Expanded Neonatal Screening", is currently carried out in all SEMAR medical units.

Most of the inborn errors of metabolism are only recognised after a few months or years, in the face of recurrent respiratory manifestations, chronic digestive disorders, anaemia, hepatosplenomegaly (enlargement of the liver and spleen), unexplained painful crises, psychomotor developmental disorders and even mental retardation. Then it is too late and the available treatments are only to improve the patient's quality of life.

What about a foot-heel-prick blood neonatal screening? Is this what you refer to?
Yes, I am not a fan of bleeding baby. It's a lot more than a drop of blood. It seems to me someone wants to hurt babies in their first days after birth.
I don't know about giving this kind of advice...that foot prick test isn't something new...if I remember correctly it was developed to test for PKU (phenylketonuria...thank you @SMM for posting tests) It can lead to brain damage/intellectual impairment and development disorders...It affects european peoples....whites....pretty common too....I think a specific diet is used to avoid damage.

CountryIncidence
Australia1 in 10,000[51]
Brazil1 in 8,690
Canada1 in 22,000[51]
China1 in 17,000[51]
Czechoslovakia1 in 7,000[51]
Denmark1 in 12,000[51]
Finland1 in 200,000[51]
France1 in 13,500[51]
India1 in 18,300
Ireland1 in 4,500[52]
Italy1 in 17,000[51]
Japan1 in 125,000[51]
Korea1 in 41,000[53]
Netherlands1 in 18,000[54]
Norway1 in 14,500[51]
Philippines1 in 102,000[55]
Poland1 in 8,000[54]
Scotland1 in 5,300[51]
Spain1 in 20,000[54]
Sweden1 in 20,000[54]
Turkey1 in 2,600[51]
United Kingdom1 in 10,000[54]
United States1 in 25,000[56]
The average number of new cases of PKU varies in different human populations. United States Caucasians are affected at a rate of 1 in 10,000.[57] Turkey has the highest documented rate in the world, with 1 in 2,600 births, while countries such as Finland and Japan have extremely low rates with fewer than one case of PKU in 100,000 births. A 1987 study from Slovakia reports a Roma population with an extremely high incidence of PKU (one case in 40 births) due to extensive inbreeding.[58] It is the most common amino acid metabolic problem in the United Kingdom.[citation needed]
Untreated PKU can lead to intellectual disability, seizures, behavioral problems, and mental disorders.[1] It may also result in a musty smell and lighter skin.[1] A baby born to a mother who has poorly treated PKU may have heart problems, a small head, and low birth weight.[1]

Because the mother's body is able to break down phenylalanine during pregnancy, infants with PKU are normal at birth. The disease is not detectable by physical examination at that time, because no damage has yet been done. Newborn screening is performed to detect the disease and initiate treatment before any damage is done. The blood sample is usually taken by a heel prick, typically performed 2–7 days after birth. This test can reveal elevated phenylalanine levels after one or two days of normal infant feeding.[11][12]

If a child is not diagnosed during the routine newborn screening test and a phenylalanine-restricted diet is not introduced, then phenylalanine levels in the blood will increase over time. Toxic levels of phenylalanine (and insufficient levels of tyrosine) can interfere with infant development in ways that have permanent effects. The disease may present clinically with seizures, hypopigmentation (excessively fair hair and skin), and a "musty odor" to the baby's sweat and urine (due to phenylacetate, a carboxylic acid produced by the oxidation of phenylacetone). In most cases, a repeat test should be done at approximately two weeks of age to verify the initial test and uncover any phenylketonuria that was initially missed.[13]

Untreated children often fail to attain early developmental milestones, develop microcephaly, and demonstrate progressive impairment of cerebral function. Hyperactivity, EEG abnormalities, and seizures, and severe learning disabilities are major clinical problems later in life. A characteristic "musty or mousy" odor on the skin, as well as a predisposition for eczema, persist throughout life in the absence of treatment.[14]

The damage done to the brain if PKU is untreated during the first months of life is not reversible. It is critical to control the diet of infants with PKU very carefully so that the brain has an opportunity to develop normally. Affected children who are detected at birth and treated are much less likely to develop neurological problems or have seizures and intellectual disability (though such clinical disorders are still possible including asthma, eczema, anemia, weight gain, renal insufficiency, osteoporosis, gastritis, esophagus, and kidney deficiencies, kidney stones, and hypertension). Additionally, major depressive disorders occur 230% higher than controls; dizziness and giddiness occur 180% higher; chronic ischemic heart disease, asthma, diabetes, and gastroenteritis occur 170% higher; and stress and adjustment disorders occur 160% higher.[15][16] In general, however, outcomes for people treated for PKU are good. Treated people may have no detectable physical, neurological, or developmental problems at all.
READ MORE:

I don't know about giving this kind of advice...that foot prick test isn't something new...if I remember correctly it was developed to test for PKU (phenylketonuria...thank you @SMM for posting tests) It can lead to brain damage/intellectual impairment and development disorders...It affects european peoples....whites....pretty common too....I think a specific diet is used to avoid damage.
Please use caution when giving or following medical advice!

Given a choice between stabbing baby's foot in the first days of baby's life and taking more than a drop of blood on one hand, and diet on the other hand, I choose diet.
This reply makes no sense. Are you planning on diet only with no test to see if needed? The diet is extremely limited:
FOLLOWING FROM:

SNIP:

Which foods and products to avoid​

Because the amount of phenylalanine that a person with PKU can safely eat is so low, it's important to avoid all high-protein foods, such as:

• Milk
  • Eggs
  • Cheese
  • Nuts
  • Soy products, such as soybeans, tofu, tempeh and milk
  • Beans and peas
  • Poultry, beef, pork and any other meat
  • Fish
Potatoes, grains and other vegetables will likely be limited.

Children and adults also need to avoid certain other foods and beverages, including many diet sodas and other drinks that contain aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal). Aspartame is an artificial sweetener made with phenylalanine.

Some medications may contain aspartame and some vitamins or other supplements may contain amino acids or skim milk powder. Check with your pharmacist about the contents of nonprescription products and prescription medications.

Talk with your health care provider or registered dietitian to learn more about your specific dietary needs.

Formula for people with PKU​

Because of the restricted diet, people with PKU need to get essential nutrients through a special nutritional supplement. The phenylalanine-free formula provides essential protein (amino acids) and other nutrients in a form that's safe for people with PKU.

Your health care provider and dietitian can help you find the right type of formula.

• Formula for babies and toddlers. Because regular infant formula and breast milk contain phenylalanine, babies with PKU instead need to have a phenylalanine-free infant formula. A dietitian can carefully calculate the amount of breast milk or regular formula to be added to the phenylalanine-free formula. The dietitian can also teach parents how to choose solid foods while not going over the child's daily phenylalanine allowance.
  • Formula for older children and adults. Older children and adults continue to drink or eat a phenylalanine-free nutritional supplement (protein equivalent formula), as directed by a health care provider or dietitian. Your daily dose of formula is divided between your meals and snacks, instead of being eaten or drunk all at once. The formula for older children and adults is not the same as the one used for infants, but it also provides essential protein without phenylalanine. The formula is continued for life.
The need for a nutritional supplement, especially if you or your child doesn't find it appealing, and the limited food choices can make the PKU diet challenging. But making a firm commitment to this lifestyle change is the only way to prevent the serious health problems that people with PKU can develop.

PKU medication​

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the drug sapropterin (Kuvan) for the treatment of PKU. The drug may be used in combination with a PKU diet. Some people with PKU who are taking the medication may not need to follow a PKU diet. But the drug doesn't work for everyone with PKU.

The FDA also approved a novel enzyme therapy, pegvaliase-pqpz (Palynziq), for adults with PKU when current therapy does not adequately reduce the level of phenylalanine. But because of frequent side effects, which can be severe, this treatment is only available as part of a restricted program under the supervision of certified health care providers.

Back
Top Bottom