Newborn and Infant Health and Care

I don't know about giving this kind of advice...that foot prick test isn't something new...if I remember correctly it was developed to test for PKU (phenylketonuria...thank you @SMM for posting tests) It can lead to brain damage/intellectual impairment and development disorders...It affects european peoples....whites....pretty common too....I think a specific diet is used to avoid damage.
I was told by my obstetrician it was to test specifically for cystic fibrosis.

Formula for babies and toddlers. Because regular infant formula and breast milk contain phenylalanine, babies with PKU instead need to have a phenylalanine-free infant formula. A dietitian can carefully calculate the amount of breast milk or regular formula to be added to the phenylalanine-free formula. The dietitian can also teach parents how to choose solid foods while not going over the child's daily phenylalanine allowance.

Newborn baby's diet consists of breastmilk.

Yes, that too..
It just seems odd that he only mentioned CF stating the statistics of 1/10,000 yet the incidence of PKU according to the data posted earlier for each country says the same incidence of 1/10,000 for Australia. I’m extremely suspicious about everything and probably make up many stories due to my overactive (but well deserved) paranoia about everything the government and it’s agencies do… But why the heel prick when they collect cord blood? And they like to clamp that cord nice and quick so it doesn’t congeal before the collect it.
With my last baby I requested the cord not be clamped until it stopped pulsing, the midwifes freaked out and tried to convince me it wasn’t necessary but I insisted and by the time they tried to get blood out it was thick and clotted.
They didn’t like that one bit!!

And it doesn’t make any sense as they collect cord blood at the time of birth which can be used for such screening.
For the PKU test, it's done a couple of days AFTER feeding of formula or breastmilk to see if baby is breaking down phenylalanine from the protein in milk/formula
...if not, it builds up and becomes toxic. There will be no symptoms until it's too late...and you cannot reverse the damage.

But if any do not want to test...I guess you take that chance for your baby...

For the PKU test, it's done a couple of days AFTER feeding of formula or breastmilk to see if baby is breaking down phenylalanine from the protein in milk/formula
...if not, it builds up and becomes toxic. There will be no symptoms until it's too late...and you cannot reverse the damage.

But if any do not want to test...I guess you take that chance for your baby...
I’ve had 3 babies and this test was never done on any of them. Different countries do different things may be? My last baby slept for 3 days after birth, she didn’t wake up to feed at all, I was home from hospital 10 hours after she was born, went back on day two and had the heel prick test but she still hadn’t fed by then.
She didn’t seem impressed with being born.

I’ve had 3 babies and this test was never done on any of them. Different countries do different things may be? My last baby slept for 3 days after birth, she didn’t wake up to feed at all, I was home from hospital 10 hours after she was born, went back on day two and had the heel prick test but she still hadn’t fed by then.
She didn’t seem impressed with being born.
This testing is done in Australia.

Now I suppose I’ll be deciding if I take the test for next baby.

Secondary uses
“The most controversial aspect of the NBS debates in Australia and elsewhere has been access to and use of the cards by courts, the police, researchers, estranged family members and others for purposes not directly connected with post-natal laboratory screening. The Victorian review committee noted that: “Most parents were not aware that blood samples are retained and may be used for secondary purposes under some circumstances”.7 The key determinant of the legality of secondary uses is the validity and scope of the original consent”

This is what I have issues with about these cards. As I suspected….
There’s no regulation on them. Anyone can use them.

A lot of great info here. It’s important to remember people have been having babies for a while now. A lot of the Johnny-come-lately interventions framed in fear are at least in part to program the adults into doing what the med system says needs to be done.

My 2 cents? Be present to your baby. Just be with the kid. Smile. Be the space of love, wonder and discovery for that child. Show them in your eyes and face that being alive is…at least “ok” if not worthwhile and a potentially positive opportunity.

Newborn baby's diet consists of breastmilk.

What about giving a newborn drops of water with diluted homeopathic remedies, flower essences, etc. when needed, such as to help with gas?

Or applying them onto a newborn’s skin?

Someone advised to wait until they are 6 months. I didn’t ask for this advice - they shared it as they saw me giving the newborn baby drops of diluted homeopathic preparation.

Here is what the midwife said: the remedies are passed to baby through their mother’s breast milk.

After a trial to help gas, Lycopodium 30C, baby seems much more settled and is passing gas more easily.

Something tells me that a combination of using some drops diluted in water in adequate moderation, and the mother taking them herself, can work together.

What about giving a newborn drops of water with diluted homeopathic remedies, flower essences, etc. when needed, such as to help with gas?

Or applying them onto a newborn’s skin?
I don't know. Sorry. Hopefully someone who knows can tell us.

Here is what the midwife said: the remedies are passed to baby through their mother’s breast milk.
This makes sense to me. So instead of giving the remedy to baby directly, give the remedy to the mother and mother will pass it to baby.

In terms of diet, I was researching to see if there is a way to reduce gas and intestinal discomfort. It turns out even babies of breastfeeding mothers on a fully carnivore diet experience cranky, gassy episodes with their babies.

In this video, Caitlin - who is fully carnivore - mentions their newborn also experienced gas and intestinal discomfort, peaking between 6-8 weeks.

That might mean it’s a matter of time. I’ll see after 8 weeks. Every mother and every infant is different, too.

What occurred to me is a possibility that cooked food, especially over-cooked, might contribute to gas and intestinal discomfort.

Newborns and infants have an underdeveloped digestive system. Cooking denatures proteins and changes food’s molecular structure.

I eat mostly raw or lightly boiled/steamed in the mornings. My infant has less gas and intestinal discomfort.

From around 4PM, if I eat something cooked differently before, during and after, (roasted, for example), their gas and intestinal discomfort increases.

I follow a Weston A Price-style elimination diet, 80%+ paleo, and focused on animal foods, fats and nutrition.

While my newborn’s gas is not excessive or concerning, it peaks in the evenings and stops in the early night and seems to correlate with eating roasted or fried foods, or foods not raw or boiled/steamed.

This week, I will start testing eating raw and boiled/steamed only. I will continue to do some more research on this, and ask other ketovore, carnivore and paleo parents about their experiences.

Back
Top Bottom