Oliver Stones "The Putin Interviews": Historic Documentary about Putin

Pashalis said:
I think the correct thing to do is to give Stone some credit, support and acknowledgement for this movie. So I'm currently trying to figure out how to pay something back for what Stone has created there. I wasn't that successful though. Couldn't find a way to donate on his website and anywhere else either...

Anyone know where one can do that?

Personally, I would say anyone that feels that this movie is important and that Stone has done a great job, should at least pay something back. It will also give him more room to create more movies like this in the future.

I think that the way Stone would most appreciate any payback is to help him actually reach people with his film, and become aware of the crucial points he is making. That seems to be his objective - raising awareness. So any way that anyone can share knowledge of his film and support the perspective he's presenting would be a good way to go.

I agree, spreading it far and wide, as a way of giving back is likely what Stone would like to see as the best payback. It isn't like he is a no name in the game, so he has probably enough material resources to draw on anyway.

I also think that it is a very good interview and I enjoyed it very much watching it. And it is good that it isn't a glossy documentary, which wouldn't have been fitting since it made Putin appear much more natural.

And spreading the video far and wide would help both Putin and also Stone and at least people who are still a bit open minded and are questioning the western media.

Yes, It was a pleasure to watch and listen what Putin has to say, this movie it is also a chance for many people to compare what he is doing and saying with lying and corrupt politicians from other countries.

New upload for part 4 on YouTube (the previously posted is dead):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr4gGxNP4k

Alana said:
Pashalis, thank you for making us aware of this documentary, I watched all 4 parts and I now like Putin as a man and stateman even more than before (and I didn't think it would be possible!) His values, his heart, his discipline and commitment and love of his country are so obvious in this documentary, as well as his sacrifices as a human being. And I think Oliver Stone is very brave indeed. He saw in Putin The Statesman, and worked on this project knowing what the results to him will be, who knows what it will cost him. But he felt that giving Putin through his own words to the American people was the decent and right thing to do, in this ever growing new cold/warm war between their two countries.

Just managed to catch up with the documentary and saw all four parts - and that's how I felt too after seeing it. Very moving at times, and now I respect him even more. If there ever was a template to base the leadership of humanity's future (working within a capitalist/oligarchic system with central banks etc.) this would be it.

Thanks Pashalis as well for posting about this documentary and making us aware about it.

Turgon said:
Pashalis said:
Andre' said:
As for Colbert, i will say that while listening to him interviewing Oliver Stone it pissed me off, it got me mad as hell because of his stupidity and superficiality,

I would say it is probably more then just stupidity and superficiality on Colberts part. It is a deliberate tactic of ridiculing, defaming and framing Stone for his masters to paint him and Putin in a negative way. I would say pathological lying and twisting fits better here.

Stone was as careful as he could be in that interview, was trying to formulate what he was saying in as open and neutral way as possible, even though Colbert was immediately hostile and tried to pigeonhole Stone as often as possible in that the interview. Timotheos was pretty apt in saying that Colbert is a spellbinder. That much he is.

Possibly, likely even, the producers had gone over the clips that they wanted to use and had laid out some counter talking points bullets for Corbert - like Stone was against a wall from a TV firing line. He was never going to get a fair interview with the way things are stacked. One could feel bad for Oliver as he walked into a show that held not respect for his work, but only knives behind backs. Yet Oliver deserves a lot of respect for his courage in walking onto that TV stage. That said, Stone brought to light just how pathetic producers like that are with their ready-made show hosts, political alignments, laugh tracks or flashing applause signs. Stone was as calm as could be in the face of this TV hitman, Corbert.

I can't say for certain, but Colbert might have looked into a mirror and said, well, that went really badly, then again, he might have thought, mission accomplished. Anyway, as was apparent, Colbert showed not a shred of hospitality nor interest for what Stone had to say, and for that he showed his full colours, imo.

Anyway i completely agree with Joe, in simple words Colbert is a moron, that's it. I've found a Chanel on youtube where you can watch all 4 parts of the documentary:

_https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFwfbUI-ngqqlbUqMyoqBKw

I've posted it just in case. Also will try to spread it on facebook, recommend it to friends, Oliver Stone did a great job indeed.

Probably the best and most comprehensive review of the series I've read so far (even if the author admits he didn't wait to see part 4 before writing it).

https://www.sott.net/article/354071-25-things-revealed-about-Vladimir-Putin-in-Oliver-Stones-interviews

Putin, btw, will be watching it for the first time, along with the rest of Russia, when it airs on Russia's Channel One, June 19 - 22. Stone's production will tell them that there is at least one sane person living in the US. :rolleyes:

_http://deadline.com/2017/06/vladimir-putin-wont-watch-putin-interviews-until-russian-premiere-next-week-1202112425/

Oliver Stone does a good job of holding his own in this interview with Charlie Rose:

https://charlierose.com/videos/30608

Poor Charlie looks like he's going to have an aneurysm at a couple of points when Stone doesn't support his Russian hacking narrative.

Mr.Cyan said:
Alana said:
Pashalis, thank you for making us aware of this documentary, I watched all 4 parts and I now like Putin as a man and stateman even more than before (and I didn't think it would be possible!) His values, his heart, his discipline and commitment and love of his country are so obvious in this documentary, as well as his sacrifices as a human being. And I think Oliver Stone is very brave indeed. He saw in Putin The Statesman, and worked on this project knowing what the results to him will be, who knows what it will cost him. But he felt that giving Putin through his own words to the American people was the decent and right thing to do, in this ever growing new cold/warm war between their two countries.

Just managed to catch up with the documentary and saw all four parts - and that's how I felt too after seeing it. Very moving at times, and now I respect him even more. If there ever was a template to base the leadership of humanity's future (working within a capitalist/oligarchic system with central banks etc.) this would be it.

Thanks Pashalis as well for posting about this documentary and making us aware about it.

I watched this series a couple of days ago, and found it quite interesting. I was impressed by the way that the interviewer posed his questions, and also by Putin's answers. Of course I don't do Russian, but it was all subtitled, so I had to trust the translation process. Worth watching, nontheless.

Shijing said:
Oliver Stone does a good job of holding his own in this interview with Charlie Rose:

https://charlierose.com/videos/30608

Poor Charlie looks like he's going to have an aneurysm at a couple of points when Stone doesn't support his Russian hacking narrative.

Thanks Shijing, I really like watching interviews with Stone, he is really in the moment and just enjoys the interview and sharing his story with others. He even makes an interview with Bill O'reilly seem like a nice conversation. When in fact this guy is just a bully. Just like Colbert.

Allthough, sometimes you just need those bullies to rage and dominate the discussion. In that way they just expose themselves. Oliver Stone keeps it decent no matter what, while keeping it real. And he has a nice friendly smile.

The following remark was beyond ignorant.

Charlie Rose: The Russians didn't fight IS...

Indeed Charlie, they simply forget about them. They freed Palmyra with the Syrians from IS accidently. Not knowing it was them. During that battle a Russian special-op even called in an airstrike on himself in order to not get captured by IS militants. But I'm sure he just mistook them for elves.

I watched all 4 parts of the Putin Interviews over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed them. Oliver Stone did a great job I think and his well researched, respectful interviewing technique really gave an invaluable glimpse into the life of Putin.

Putin's work ethic, morality, intelligence, patriotism, discipline, humour, forbearance and compassion shone brightly for me. He really is an incredible leader and a 'spiritual warrior' too I think.

I just finished seeing this four part interview tonight, and was entirely engrossed when listening to Putin on such a wide range of topics. One could tell when things were getting to him -- when it came to Ukraine, especially... Syria... (which I see is heating up again between Russia and the U.S.).

Oliver Stone did a truly amazing thing in bringing these interviews to the American people especially, or at least those who are open minded enough to listen with an open mind. There are likely many Americans who are on the fence about Putin, and this seems to highlight an intelligent, decent, probing, thoughtful nature.

Putin did make a faux pas early on when Stone asked him whether he ever had a bad day, and Putin, who was maybe a bit rattled by the question, said something to the effect that he never did, that he wasn't a woman. It was too bad that happened since in that moment I felt that he offended a lot of American women especially with that remark, and might even have lost their ear, as it were. You could see Putin was sorry he said it, and he did some back tracking, but it was an unfortunate thing for him to have said, and he knew it.

Stone, to me, can be deeply insightful at times -- Putin, towards the end of part 4 when they were discussing Stalin, called him "cunning" -- but Stone can also be embarrassingly "American" at times as well. I know he needs to at least appear objective to those in the states who aren't in the least objective, but who want to see their perspective mirrored as proof of Stone's objectivity, and so I realize Stone has that to contend with. But at the same time... I mean, at one point Stone is talking about his wish for wealth, and it was rather endearing how Putin almost sounded like a father figure in his response, pointing out to Stone his own obvious talents and accomplishments, which had nothing to do with monetary wealth.

Also, if Stone read the documents on the hacking, didn't he also see that there is no smoking gun, so to speak? If so, why the: "Why did you hack the U.S. elections?" question without any qualifiers. One supposes Stone felt he had to do that. But I'm not always sure what his true beliefs are.

There's an interesting somewhat hidden history related to Stone when you realize he did the JFK movie, and that he was severely censured for it. I knew someone once in the film business who had a line on certain "inside the industry" sort of stories. He told me once that after making JFK Stone was threatened with doing jail time for cocaine if he didn't in some way "acquiesce." I saw Stone interviewed -- not sure how many years later, but it was for an interesting show on filmmaking -- and I was shocked to see Stone describe his JFK film as some manner of fairy tale. He has also been (in case you haven't noticed, and as this interview with Putin demonstrated) unable to represent a truthful view of 9/11. I do believe that that's what's required of him at this point. Unless he's actually begun to believe the lies.

In light of all that it's interesting that he's able to do this Putin interview, and one wonders who its backers are exactly. I haven't seen the Charlie Rose interview yet but I can imagine his take on it. With Rose representing a certain aspect of the power elite, who are those who are backing Stone in this? I saw a Spanish name for a producer, but I haven't looked into it. Snowden and Assange might be a good clue since they themselves are not all they seem.

Stone also did an interesting documentary on the Russian role in WWII, which is rather revelatory given the focus on most WWII docs is on the Western front. Yes, we all know Russia had a lot to do with defeating the Germans, but this documentary makes it clear that they had EVERYTHING to do with it. No contest. It's THE story that gets suppressed.

Stone is also affiliated in some way with the Dalai Lama, I saw him speaking about him on Youtube. It seems Stone's a practicing Buddhist. Actually, the Dalai Lama (whom is discussed on this site related to his being supported by the CIA until Nixon recognized China and the gig was up) claims to be a Marxist politically speaking, which I suppose surprised me given the situation with Tibet and China. I watched a number of films on Youtube on the darker side of the Dalai Lama that rather depressed me, since I always supposed he was one of those leaders who is "beyond reproach" seemingly. But instead, similar to Gandhi, this appears not to be the case.

But back to Stone... it's just curious the deeper story with him. His ties to the Dalai Lama, his particular interest in Russia, his distancing himself from his JFK work, and from 9/11 (outside of a more mainstream viewpoint)... I'm not sure what it all adds up to. But, certainly, doing such an extensive, candid seeming interview with none other than Vladimir Putin -- especially at this point in time -- seems historic.

After watching all 4 parts, I agree that this was a very well made series. And an important one for everyone to see. I was similarly surprised and a bit disappointed with Putin's remarks of him not being a woman (not having a bad day). Putin is very smart and strategic, but in that instance he made a clear miscalculation, IMO. I think that Putin with his clever humor and sarcasm is sometimes just giving more ammunition to the corporate western media. However, as became clear later, he doesn't seem to care what the western MSM says. Stone was asking why Russia isn't defending itself against all accusations, offering some countering proof, but Putin dismissed this line of action. In a sense, that's wise, because I don't think any proof or facts that Russia would provide would be enough for the westerners.

I was hoping that Putin would show some knowledge of psychopathy/ponerology, but from what I could see and hear, he didn't take it into consideration during the talks. He even, perhaps intentionally, "normalized" McCain, saying that he admires his patriotism. I'm just guessing, but I don't think that Putin is that naive, I think he is often playing "naive" not to show his true knowledge. Calling the US elite for what they are, psychopaths, would most likely backfire. Hard to say.

A similar interview being done with one of the US presidents, e.g. Bush or Obama, would be impossible. Putin is a real and genuine person, and he is well versed with history and other things. Nothing like these American clowns.

Back
Top Bottom