Recommended Books: Discussion

Thorbiorn said:
When Laura writes “that everything isn't exactly for everybody”, this goes, in my honest opinion, for other books on the reading list as well. Having most of them, I know some of them are and will be read much less intensively than Beelzebub’s Tales, while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list.

Nemo said:
I absolutely agree! The same could probably be applied to the suggested sequence in which said books should be read. If I knew I would suffer from amnesia soon, I`d suggest to myself to read
the recommended books in a different order more approbriate to my mentality and "pre-existing knowledge"( or better stated, lack of).

Like Anart sez, that's a slippery slope.

Actually, the reading list I created is based on long observation of people in our groups and on the forum as well as from the emails people write to me. Those books are the ones best suited to convey many of the concepts Gurdjieff talks about in more modern terms and often with reference to physiology so that you really understand how things are in your machine, and why.

I also put the MOST ESSENTIAL FOR EVERYONE volumes at the top of the list. If you don't grok the concepts in those first half dozen or so books, NOTHING ELSE WILL MAKE SENSE!

Sorry for shouting there, but I really want to emphasize this to everyone.

Beelzebub's Tales is on the reading list, but it's not at the top.

anart said:
That's a slippery slope, there, thorbiorn (and nemo). Usually, that which we avoid reading is exactly what will do us the most good. Never underestimate the power of 'IT' - or the ability for your predator (programs) to overestimate yourself - and to find meaning in a statement Laura makes that has very little to do with the point she was making. The student does not - and cannot - design the school - and doing only what IT likes will ensure you never get out of the starting gate.

Laura said:
Like Anart sez, that's a slippery slope.

Actually, the reading list I created is based on long observation of people in our groups and on the forum as well as from the emails people write to me. Those books are the ones best suited to convey many of the concepts Gurdjieff talks about in more modern terms and often with reference to physiology so that you really understand how things are in your machine, and why.

I also put the MOST ESSENTIAL FOR EVERYONE volumes at the top of the list. If you don't grok the concepts in those first half dozen or so books, NOTHING ELSE WILL MAKE SENSE!

Sorry for shouting there, but I really want to emphasize this to everyone.

Beelzebub's Tales is on the reading list, but it's not at the top.

Thanks for these remarks, they will make what to read next a whole lot easier.

Now there is another list of books in the Spirit board - Ouija Video For easy reference I have quoted the list from the other thread and inserted in the quote the place if any the books occupy in the list that is posted on page one of this thread:

Laura said:
Here are the books that will be recommended as background material before one even attempts working on self-developmen via the board. It will be stressed that research reading is necessary and that results will only be commensurate with the state of the individual. You didn't think you were gonna get off easy, did you?

You will first of all need to fully understand your own mind and body as well as the many variations of other minds and bodies including negative individuals. I have certainly written about much of this already, but for the individual who wishes to go deeper - as I assume anyone who wishes to attempt such self-development as we are proposing here does - you must demonstrate this desire to the Universe by putting forth the effort to find answers in the available literature.

Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley [listed as Psychology nr. 1]
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb [listed as Psychology nr. 2]
Unholy Hungers - Barbara E. Hort [listed as Psychology nr. 3]
In Sheep's Clothing - George K. Simon [listed as Psychology nr. 4]
Operators and Things - Barbara O'Brien [listed as Psychology nr. 5]
Myth of Sanity - Martha Stout [listed as Psychology nr. 6]
Sociopath Next Door - Martha Stout [listed as Psychology nr. 7]
Without Conscience - Robert Hare [listed as Psychology nr. 8]
Snakes in Suits - Robert Hare and Paul Babiak [listed as Psychology nr. 9]
Predators - Anna Salter [listed as Psychology nr. 10]
Drama of the Gifted Child - Alice Miller [listed as Psychology nr. 11]
Political Ponerology - Andrzej Lobaczewski [listed as Psychology nr. 12]
In Broad Daylight - Harry N. MacLean [listed as Psychology nr. 13]
The Narcissistic Family - Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M.
Pressman [listed as Psychology nr. 14]
In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky [listed as Esoterica nr. 1]
From the All and Everything Series-G.I. Gurdjieff Meetings with Remarkable Men, Life is Real Only Then, when "I am" [listed as Esoterica nr. 2 but Beelzebub’s Tales not included.]
Tertium Organum - P.D. Ouspensky [listed as Esotterica nr. 3]
The Sufi Path of Knowledge - William Chittick [listed as Esoterica nr. 4]
The Active Side of Infinity - Carlos Castaneda [listed as Esoterica nr. 5]
The Fire From Within - Carlos Castaneda [listed as Esoterica nr. 6]
The Wave Series - Laura Knight-Jadczyk [listed as Esoterica nr. 10]
Mean Genes - Terry Burnham and Jay Phelan [listed as Optional nr. 18]
Molecules of Emotion - Candace Pert [listed as Optional nr. 20]
Adventures with Cassiopaea - Laura Knight-Jadczyk [listed as History nr. 3]

Keep in mind the maxim: as above, so below. Your best path for understanding the world of spirit, psyche, and psychology is to understand the material world as well as you can. You do not yet have to have mastered it, but you need to understand it as well as you can to demonstrate to the Universe that you have done your homework. There is no free lunch.

A good understanding of history in general, how our reality came to be what it is and where you fit into it is very useful:
The Origins of Biblical Israel - Philip Davies [not listed]
History and Ideology in Ancient Israel - Giovanni Garbini [not listed]
The Mythic Past: Biblical Archaeology And The Myth Of Israel - Thomas L. Thompson [not listed]
The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts by Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstein [not listed]
David and Solomon: In Search of the Bible's Sacred Kings and the Roots of the Western Tradition by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman [not listed]
The Messiah Myth: The Near Eastern Roots of Jesus and David - Thomas L. Thompson [not listed]
The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins - Burton Mack [listed as History nr. 1]
A Myth of Innocence - Burton Mack [not listed]
Secret History of the World - Laura Knight-Jadczyk [listed as History nr. 2]
Controversy of Zion - Douglas Reed [listed as History nr. 7]
Gods of Eden - William Bramley [listed as History nr. 12]
The Stargate Conspiracy - Picknet and Prince [listed as History nr. 10]
UFOs and the National Security State - Richard Dolan [listed as History nr. 11]
From Exodus to Arthur - Michael Baillie [listed as History nr. 16]
Where Troy Once Stood - Iman Wilkens [listed as History nr. 17]
The Cosmic Serpent - Victor Clube and Bill Napier [not listed]
The Cosmic Winter - Victor Clube and Bill Napier [not listed]
The reason for emphasis on the history of religion is that you really need to disabuse yourself of the notion that there is anybody "out there" who is gonna haul your buns out of the fire. You need to know that it is your own spiritual state, your state of BEing, that is important. Certainly, this will mean that there are many individuals who ought never to undertake any such activity at all because they simply have no (or very little) consolidated psychic or psychological being or energy. Nevertheless, since so many individuals undertake psychic experimentation anyway, of a far more dangerous sort, I think that it is important for them to know exactly what the ramifications are. That will be well covered in the video.

Then, onto esoteric matters; You will need to understand a history and engagement in practices of esotericism thoroughly:

Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy - Mircea Eliade [listed as Esoterica nr. 11]
Varieties of Religious Experience - William James [listed as Optional nr. 16]
The Afterdeath Journal of an American Philosopher - Jane Roberts [not listed]
Cosmos and History: The Myth of the Eternal Return - Mircea Eliade [listed as Esoterica nr. 12]
The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion - Mircea Eliade [listed as Esoterica nr. 13]
Magic: The Principles of Higher Knowledge - Karl Von Eckarthausen [listed as Esoterica nr. 14]
Darkness over Tibet - T. Illion [listed as Esoterica nr. 15]
The Darkened Room - Alex Owen [not listed]
The History of Spiritualism - Arthur Conan Doyle [not listed]
Book on Mediums - Allen Kardec [not listed]
MANY VOICES : The Autobiography of a Medium - Eileen J. Garrett [not listed]
Deviance and Moral Boundaries - Nachman Ben-Yehuda [not listed]
Occult & Scientific Mentalities in the Renaissance - Brian Vickers (editor) [not listed]
The Secret Teachings of All Ages - Manly Hall [not listed]
Life Between Life - Joel L. Whitton [not listed]
Prophecy in Our Time - Martin Ebon [not listed][/b]
Evidence Of Survival After Death - Sir William F. Barrett and James H. Hyslop [not listed]
Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation - Ian Stevenson [not listed]
Power of the Pendulum - T.C. Lethbridge [not listed]
Encyclopaedia of Psychic Science - Nandor Fodor [not listed]
Haunted People: The Story Of The Poltergeist Down The Centuries - Hereward Carrington and Nandor Fodor [not listed]
The Haunted Mind - Nandor Fodor [not listed]
Hostage to the Devil - Malachi Martin [not listed]
Unleashed: Of Poltergeists and Murder: The Curious Story of Tina Resch - by William Roll and Valerie Storey [not listed]

To put to rest any illusions about Helena Blavatsky, you will need to read:

The Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor: Initiatic and Historical Documents of an Order of Practical Occultism - by Joscelyn Godwin [not listed]
If you can find them in a library, try reading the many volumes of the Proceedings of the American Society for Psychical Research as well as the British Society for Psychical Research

As always, reading cases is useful. But you have to be careful here; a lot of books are written about cases that are just pure bunkum; "The Exorcist" is a case in point. Same with the story about Amytyville.

Most weirdnesses that happen in any psychic activity is due to the state of mind of the individual, that individual's psychology and state of psychological health. So, getting psychologically healthy to as great an extent as possible is your number one goal! Quite often, if approached correctly, using a board can help you.

Some differences are there, of which some are obvious because the second is directed towards preparing one for a channeling experiment. Other differences I have a harder time understanding. Could you help me? And what is the priority between these two lists, in case one is interested in the spirit board expreiment?

Laura said:

I`m sorry for being dense :-[. Just to prevent further misunderstandings,
based on the book list, the ones on top would be:

_Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb
_In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky
All and Everything Series-G.I. Gurdjieff
(Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson,Meetings with Remarkable Men, Life is Real Only Then, when "I am" )
_The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins - Burton Mack
Secret History of the World - Laura Knight-Jadczyk

or, respectively, for Psychology:

Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb
Unholy Hungers - Barbara E. Hort
In Sheep's Clothing - George K. Simon
Operators and Things - Barbara O'Brien
Myth of Sanity - Martha Stout

and for Esoterics:

In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky
All and Everything Series-G.I. Gurdjieff
(Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson,Meetings with Remarkable Men, Life is Real Only Then, when "I am" )
Tertium Organum - P.D. Ouspensky
The Sufi Path of Knowledge - William Chittick
The Active Side of Infinity - Carlos Castaneda
The Fire From Within - Carlos Castaneda

I`m afraid I`m a bit confused here, since The Wave I-VI, Lobaczewski + Mouravieff wouldn`t be included.
Someone help me out here?

thorbiorn said:
Some differences are there, of which some are obvious because the second is directed towards preparing one for a channeling experiment. Other differences I have a harder time understanding. Could you help me? And what is the priority between these two lists, in case one is interested in the spirit board expreiment?

I'd take the recommended list by QFG to be a priority before the SB (Spirit Board) reading list.

In my opinion, the list created for the preparation for the channeling experiment is not JUST for those interested in doing the spirit board experiment. I've read all the books listed as soon as the list been posted last summer (except for a couple of books on the Israel history, which I'd need to find) after reading the QFG recommended list of books a year before. When reading through the SB list, even though you may already read a few books from the QFG list before, it would be wise to re-read them (Myth of Sanity, etc.) because you will have them to be fresh in your mind as you'd go through the books on spirits or paranormal phenomena and history on religion. This seriously helped me to understand myself fully as well the negative individuals (past and present) and to understand, even in part, how spirit/entities operate.

As Laura said, if you don't get the concepts in the first part of the recommended list, no other books (including SB list) would make sense.

And, Victor Clube's books (from SB list's history section) were discovered to be very essential after QFG list were formulated (which should be added to the QFG list anyway, imo).

fwiw

Sky said:
I'd take the recommended list by QFG to be a priority before the SB (Spirit Board) reading list.
[...]
When reading through the SB list, even though you may already read a few books from the QFG list before, it would be wise to re-read them (Myth of Sanity, etc.) because you will have them to be fresh in your mind as you'd go through the books on spirits or paranormal phenomena and history on religion.
Thanks Sky, that is a reasonable solution.

Hmmm... I see the problem. I thought I had listed the books here on the forum the way I had done them for QFS - in a particular order. Obviously, I didn't. Or if I did, I can't find where I did it.

So, maybe we should hear from some of you who have read most or all of them: what order do you think is the best one?

I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity," first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

Then, "Trapped in the Mirror" and "Unholy Hungers."

Then, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Without Conscience."

Then, "Mask of Sanity" and "In Search of the Miraculous."

Then, "Political Ponerology."

That is what I would consider to be the absolutely essential list for everyone who has any desire to sort themselves out.

Sorting yourself out is one thing, seeking to become a "receiver" and/or teacher is something else. That's not a role for everyone, and that is what the list for experimenting with a Ouija board is for - and that's a SHORT list above!

If you look into these things deeply, receiver/teachers/shamans spent 20 years or more training, learning everything they could about their world and everything in it before they dared to step into another world.

Regarding the need to understand human psychology thoroughly, let me quote a bit from Wave Book 7 (parts of which were drawn from the Adventures Series):

We come now to a subject of immense importance: Psychopaths as “alien reaction machines,” which directly relates to what we have all been learning from {this series} As noted in the previous chapter: intolerance and cruelty are needed to guarantee the “cover-up.” A certain kind of “human being” acts on behalf of this cover-up; a certain kind of human who is a playing piece in the Secret Games of the Gods.

Allow me to bring your attention back to certain remarks of Gurdjieff that point out to us the danger, both from the activities of these “automatons,” as well as our own reactions to them:

Gurdjieff said:
“So that in the actual situation of humanity there is nothing that points to evolution proceeding. On the contrary when we compare humanity with a man, we quite clearly see a growth of personality at the cost of essence, that is, a growth of the artificial, the unreal, and what is foreign, at the cost of the natural, the real, and what is one’s own.

“Together with this, we see a growth of automatism. Contemporary cultures require automatons. […] One thing alone is certain, that man’s slavery grows and increases. Man is becoming a willing slave. He no longer needs chains. He begins to grow fond of his slavery, to be proud of it. And this is the most terrible thing that can happen to a man.” (Ouspensky, 1949)

In the process of coming to some understanding of how such individuals operate, based on the latest research, as well as our own experiences, I hope to clarify some of the “rules” they play by so that the reader will be better equipped to spot them and deal with them. It is clear from the correspondence we have been receiving that this sort of encounter is a lot more frequent than any of us would like to think, and it is only going to get worse in the coming years, as the reader will soon see.

But before we begin to analyze the playing pieces themselves, let me give a little outline of what seems to have been the emergence of “games” in the sense that we are coming to understand them: That they are part of the process of preventing humanity from having the knowledge needed to effectively deal with our reality, and that the moves of this game have been made over millennia in cyclic time-loops very likely via time-travel.

Shamanism, as we have noted in Secret History, seems to be the closest we can get to the clues about hypothesized archaic technology. We may be certain that it is corrupted by millennia of changes, and it is important to remember that they are only clues; we cannot take any of the activities at face value.

Let me try to give an example: In the myths of Hermes, we find a “god” who has sandals that enable him to fly. He also has a helmet of invisibility. The question we ought to ask is: Why would ancient peoples have suggested that a god needed to put something on his head to be invisible or something on his feet to fly?

Remember, other gods didn’t need these things — they were “gods,” after all, and could do as they liked. So, where the heck did these objects come from? And that is not to say that we ought to think that sandals were what did it, nor a helmet. The point is, the myth tells us that some sort of object conferred the ability. It was technology.

I thought about that for a long time. The objects, as they were, didn’t make any sense; but what did make sense was that the concept of some sort of device was vaguely remembered and was being conveyed in these objects.

In reference to our Grail Hallows, we think of the sword/lance and the cup/platter. A sword is a death dealing instrument, right? Well, so is a gun. So is a “death ray.” A gun makes a big noise, so maybe guns or similar items that made noise and flashes of light were converted by ancient peoples who had lost their understanding of technology into lightning bolts or something noisy. But a sword, in the terms of the Grail Hallows, is obviously something different. In fact, a sword, a lance, and a shepherd’s crook, all somewhat resemble antennae. Just imagine Grandpa describing to the grandchild antennae that pick up signals and transmit them. “Well, Junior, it was a long narrow thing… it had a base… it was made of metal… sorta like that knife over there, only longer… well, like a sword.”

What about the dish? How about a satellite dish? Something that collects energy? A cup or cauldron? The oldest representations are “wells” and the “cauldron of regeneration.” How about a chamber into which the energy is directed which heals or rejuvenates or even enables one to travel in time?

How much plainer do the myths have to make it?

In the most ancient of tribal societies, postdiluvian we must assume, the shaman was an extremely important figure. He combined the function of diviner, medicine-man, and mediator between the worlds of humans and transcendental powers. And what is important is the fact that the shaman held this position long before the creation of established priesthoods and colleges of “magical technicians,” such as astrologers, geomants, and augurs.

Another important thing to remember was that the shaman’s role was hereditary. There are more recent local variations, but the most ancient remnants of shamanism demonstrate that, in archaic times, it was wholly hereditary. There are examples of Siberian shamanism found throughout the world, including many examples of Native American shamanism being of the same type. The features include a separation from normal society and powers that enable the shaman to see beings and events beyond the boundaries of normal space and time.

In shamanic variations where inheritance is no longer of main importance, there is an element that gives us a small clue to the processes of corruption. In these types of shamanism, the shaman is “initiated,” instead of born. In most such instances, the prospective shaman is led up a local holy mountain or goes to some desolate place. At the appropriate place and time, he is given his clothing of office, drum, and stick, and then swears an oath to the elder shaman responsible for his instruction. The elder reveals to him the secrets of his shamanic calling, and teaches him rituals, and at the end, he is sprinkled with blood from a sacrificial animal, and often dons the skin of the flayed beast.

In the oldest and purest forms, there was no initiation. Shamanism was handed from father to son or mother to daughter, with instruction being given from birth. Initiation was of almost no importance, and bloodline was supreme. The Altai shamans received their “initiations” spontaneously from higher sources, without ceremony.

We also note the connection between this hereditary shamanism and the Vatis or “shaman-diviner” of Britain. Here, too, there was no initiation. Bards and Druids were initiated, the Bard being the recipient of transmitted discipleship, and the Druid being the recipient of transmitted priesthood. The Vatis, however, was outside this initiatory activity. The Vatis was “born.” He was not a traditionalist or a fundamentalist. He was a person who was open to everything new that might be worthwhile, and thereby improved and increased his art in response to the changing environment.

The shaman was also known to journey out of the body. These travels were said to be both physical as well as astral. In this way, he was able to become personally familiar with the many landscapes of the physical and ethereal worlds. While on these travels, the shaman was able to converse with the denizens of the non-material worlds and to gain knowledge and accumulate energies that were valuable to themselves and to the tribe. Because of his ability to travel “into the air,” so to say, the shaman was often represented as a bird. The bird symbolized the “out of body” experience or “flight.” We should note that among the most ancient depictions of the Mother Goddess are statuettes that portray her with the head of a bird.

The direct communication with other realms of existence is the oldest form of divination. It was later corrupted to formalized systems in an attempt to give the same “powers” to people who were not of the shamanic bloodline. Divination stands in an uneasy relationship with formalized religion as we know it. The reason for this is the fact that religions of our experience are based on the concept of Divine Providence and stability of our world. Divination cannot be tolerated by such a system because of its elements of uncertainty and the possibility of a result that contradicts the wishes of the priesthood.

As formal religion was established, divination was transferred from the bloodline seers of other realms to that of the Divine, accessible only by the approved priesthood. It was at this point that the grid, or checker board, became the symbol of the diviner. This grid is found in association with ancient representations of many gods and saints. The stag-gods of Mesopotamia, central Asia, and Europe, all represent the conversion from the hereditary shamanism to the priestly shaman as intermediary between the people and the god who, by this symbol of the grid, had dominion over space and time. The Urim and Thummim of ancient Judaism is a case in point.

Whether hereditary or priestly, divination assumes that hyperdimensional powers express themselves, or control our reality. This viewpoint was criticized as early as the first century AD, by the Roman statesman, Seneca, who wrote: “The difference between us and the Etruscans is the following: Whereas we believe lightning to be released as the result of the collision of clouds, they believe that clouds collide to release lightning; for as they attribute all to the deity, they are led to believe not that things have meaning in so far as they occur, but rather that they occur because they must have a meaning.”

The Cassiopaeans have given some fascinating clues about these matters, which I will insert at this point. I expect the reader will be able to make all kinds of connections.

Cs said:
06-21-97
Q: Change of subject: I am tracking the clues through the various languages and alphabets. I would like to know which of these alphabets — Runic, Greek, or Etruscan — preceded the others, and from which the others are derived?
A: Etruscan.
Q: Well, who were the Etruscans?
A: Templar carriers.
Q: What does that mean?
A: Seek and ye shall find.
Q: Well, how am I supposed to do that? I can’t find anything else on the Etruscans!
A: No.
Q: What do you mean “No”? You mean there is more out there on the Etruscans?
A: Yes.
Q: Okay. What are “Templar carriers”?
A: Penitent Avian Lords.
Q: What does that mean?
A: For your search. All is drawn from some more ancient form.

08-16-97
Q: We have the phoenix, cranes, herons, doves, ravens, and all are related somehow to speech or writing. Why are all these birds related this way?
A: Pass the test.
Q: What do you mean “Pass the test”?
A: Discover.
Q: Well, writing is related to the words for cutting and inscribing and even shearing and sharks. You called the Etruscans “Penitent Avian Lords,” who were also “Templar Carriers.” Is this related to these bird images? Then related to speech, writing, and shearing?
A: Pass the test.
Q: So, if you are writing, and you pass the test, then you can be a phoenix, dove, or whatever?
A: Discover.
Q: Ark suggested that the Etruscans may have gotten their alphabet as a mirror image. Could it be that they lived on the “other side” of the mirror?
A: Latter is closer.

We see in the above the amazing juxtaposition of “Avian” or “birdlike” with “Templar.” The Templars were designated in certain of the Grail legends as “Guardians of the Grail.” So again we find a connection between the Holy Grail and a thread that travels back in time to Central Asia and Stonehenge.

The flight of a bird was often seen as a shaman in an out-of-body state or as a guardian spirit in bird form. The myths of farseeing messenger birds have been preserved in many traditions, including the birds released by Noah and Odin’s ravens. The imagery of birds was later transferred to arrows, and from there to sticks or staves, and then to runes.

But coming back to Seneca’s negative view of hyperdimensional realities: He was critical of the idea that transcendental powers expressed themselves through bolts of lightning, storms, earthquakes, strange celestial phenomena, the flight of birds, or through human beings themselves. However, Seneca and many others were quite willing to accept the determination of meaning in life based on that which was pronounced as true by a formalized system of augury, such as a priesthood.
In the earliest shamanic practices, as we have seen, it seems that the people conceived of the gods as benevolent and communicative; interested and participatory in all aspects of their lives. The “adorable Maruts” as shamans “danced,” and the heavens delivered blessings. The god danced with the people, and there was peace and plenty.

Somewhere along the way, this changed drastically and the gods became fearsome and vengeful, and potentially very dangerous. At this point, the idea that a correct relationship between human beings and the hyperdimensional beings was important took an interesting turn. In the days of the old shamans, if there were dangerous gods, the shaman was empowered to fight them, to defeat them, and to protect the people from their depredations. However, at this point, the idea that the shaman could battle dark forces was replaced with the concept of propitiation via sacrifice. This coincided with the creation of shamans by external initiation, which then led to formalized priesthoods. With the coming of the priesthood the only propitiation was that effected by the priest according to well-defined rules and regulations. In this respect, the correct relationship was achieved when the prescribed rituals and taboos were observed at the appropriate places and times. We see the earliest example of this idea in the “star clocks” of the ancient Egyptians, which were observed so that the proper rituals could be performed at the right hour of the night.

The priest, or “chief of the observers,” was concerned with the observation and interpretation of signs in the heavens. These signs were observed from a location called a templum, which was an outdoor viewing mound. The sky was divided into squares viewed through a lituus, a ceremonial staff which, when held at arm’s length, divided the horizon into sections. By the use of this staff in relation to known direction markers on the horizon, the chief of the observers could determine in which section of the sky the observed phenomenon manifested itself. This was also related to the time of day or night, and the day of the lunar calendar. All of these provided the material by which the omen was to be interpreted, and we might guess that it very often suggested more sacrifices or gifts to the priesthood in order to propitiate the gods. The squares were later transferred to the ground, and divinatory methods were devised to take the place, or to augment, the observing of signs in the skies.

And so, with this brief review we come to the idea that the emergence of “games” or game boards, is a “sigil” of the dark, mechanical forces. Most of what we call “games” were originally developed as means of formalized divination by priests, as opposed to natural shamans. The chessboard originated as a “locator” in space time. The gods were known as “those who measure,” and we see this symbolism of the Secret Games of the Gods in the checkerboard floor of Masonic lodges, and in other “occult” lore.

What is less apparent is the identity of the players: The shamanic bloodline of the benevolent goddess vs. the ritual priesthood of the vengeful god. And this brings us back to a comment I made in the previous chapter: What seems to have happened is that, through repeated cataclysms, man has been brought low, relegated to darkness regarding his history, and at the very point when he began to study and analyze his environment objectively, religion stepped in and put a period to such ideas.

Over and over again we come up against that little problem — religion and belief systems that have to be defended against objective evidence or the beliefs of others. “Why did man, through thousands of years, wherever he built scientific, philosophic, or religious systems, go astray with such persistence and with such catastrophic consequences? […] The answer lies somewhere in that area of our existence which has been so heavily obscured by organized religion and put out of our reach. Hence, it probably lies in the relation of the human being to the cosmic energy that governs him.” (Reich, 1949).

Please note Reich’s use of the term “catastrophic consequences.” Anyone familiar with the history of religion, and looking at the matter with objectivity, will affirm that the introduction of, the spreading of, the enforcing of, religion is the cause of nearly all the evils on our planet. It’s that simple. Jesus said: “By their fruits you shall know them.” That’s a pretty bitter fruit. Carlos Castaneda brings our attention to the very same matter in a far more direct way:

Castaneda said:
Think for a moment, and tell me how you would explain the contradiction between the intelligence of man the engineer and the stupidity of his systems of beliefs, or the stupidity of his contradictory behavior. Sorcerers believe that the predators have given us our systems of beliefs, our ideas of good and evil, our social mores. They are the ones who set up our hopes and expectations and dreams of success or failure. They have given us covetousness, greed, and cowardice. It is the predators who make us complacent, routinary, and egomaniacal.

In order to keep us obedient and meek and weak, the predators engaged themselves in a stupendous maneuver — stupendous, of course, from the point of view of a fighting strategist. A horrendous maneuver from the point of view of those who suffer it. They gave us their mind! Do you hear me? The predators give us their mind, which becomes our mind. […] Through the mind, which, after all, is their mind, the predators inject into the lives of human beings whatever is convenient for them. (Castaneda, 1998; this author’s emphases){...}

The fact is, when we study religions, religious visions, the appearance of new religions, they nearly always occur in a context that is not much different from so-called “alien” interactions. This is what led Carl Jung to propose his ideas of UFOs as being representations of an archetype, and the clues to the creation or revivification of a grand myth of sorts.
However, since we also have the idea that the alien phenomenon is a hyperdimensional one, and that hyperdimensional capabilities include mastery of space and time (perhaps within certain limits, but we don’t know for sure), then it seems only logical to consider the possibility that any religion could be “created” by the appearance of such beings masquerading as benevolent performers of miracles.

Etc. So, you see, working to sort yourself, out, to simply become singular, is one thing - and a very big thing at that - but to then pass on to esoterica is something else. Naturally, one needs to work on the self and be as free of unaware ego and self-serving tendencies and illusions as possible.

Laura said:
I thought I had listed the books here on the forum the way I had done them for QFS - in a particular order. Obviously, I didn't. Or if I did, I can't find where I did it.

Would this be the one regarding the "Big Four?"

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5743.msg39910#msg39910

Laura said:
So, maybe we should hear from some of you who have read most or all of them: what order do you think is the best one?

I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity" first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

Then, "Trapped in the Mirror" and "Unholy Hungers."

Then, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Without Conscience."

Then, "Mask of Sanity" and "In Search of the Miraculous."

Then, "Political Ponerology."

Yes, I agree with the order that you just formulated above as an essential list.

fwiw.

Sky said:
Would this be the one regarding the "Big Four?"

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5743.msg39910#msg39910

That's it. I was sure I had explained why it was important to read these particular books first. Of course, as we learn more and more, and find other books that are really helpful and well-written, the list can change.

Another really good one that helps you understand the way your own mind works is "Blink" by Malcolm somebody or other.

Laura said:
Another really good one that helps you understand the way your own mind works is "Blink" by Malcolm somebody or other.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell. Brilliant book, highly recommend it (and all of Gladwell's work, he's a terrific writer). Here's some information about it from the author's website (www.gladwell.com):

1. What is "Blink" about?

It's a book about rapid cognition, about the kind of thinking that happens in a blink of an eye. When you meet someone for the first time, or walk into a house you are thinking of buying, or read the first few sentences of a book, your mind takes about two seconds to jump to a series of conclusions. Well, "Blink" is a book about those two seconds, because I think those instant conclusions that we reach are really powerful and really important and, occasionally, really good.

You could also say that it's a book about intuition, except that I don't like that word. In fact it never appears in "Blink." Intuition strikes me as a concept we use to describe emotional reactions, gut feelings--thoughts and impressions that don't seem entirely rational. But I think that what goes on in that first two seconds is perfectly rational. It's thinking--its just thinking that moves a little faster and operates a little more mysteriously than the kind of deliberate, conscious decision-making that we usually associate with "thinking." In "Blink" I'm trying to understand those two seconds. What is going on inside our heads when we engage in rapid cognition? When are snap judgments good and when are they not? What kinds of things can we do to make our powers of rapid cognition better?

2. How can thinking that takes place so quickly be at all useful? Don't we make the best decisions when we take the time to carefully evaluate all available and relevant information?

Certainly that's what we've always been told. We live in a society dedicated to the idea that we're always better off gathering as much information and spending as much time as possible in deliberation. As children, this lesson is drummed into us again and again: haste makes waste, look before you leap, stop and think. But I don't think this is true. There are lots of situations--particularly at times of high pressure and stress--when haste does not make waste, when our snap judgments and first impressions offer a much better means of making sense of the world.

One of the stories I tell in "Blink" is about the Emergency Room doctors at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. That's the big public hospital in Chicago, and a few years ago they changed the way they diagnosed heart attacks. They instructed their doctors to gather less information on their patients: they encouraged them to zero in on just a few critical pieces of information about patients suffering from chest pain--like blood pressure and the ECG--while ignoring everything else, like the patient's age and weight and medical history. And what happened? Cook County is now one of the best places in the United States at diagnosing chest pain.

Not surprisingly, it was really hard to convince the physicians at Cook County to go along with the plan, because, like all of us, they were committed to the idea that more information is always better. But I describe lots of cases in "Blink" where that simply isn't true. There's a wonderful phrase in psychology--"the power of thin slicing"--which says that as human beings we are capable of making sense of situations based on the thinnest slice of experience. I have an entire chapter in "Blink" on how unbelievably powerful our thin-slicing skills are. I have to say that I still find some of the examples in that chapter hard to believe.

3. Where did you get the idea for "Blink"?

Believe it or not, it's because I decided, a few years ago, to grow my hair long. If you look at the author photo on my last book, "The Tipping Point," you'll see that it used to be cut very short and conservatively. But, on a whim, I let it grow wild, as it had been when I was teenager. Immediately, in very small but significant ways, my life changed. I started getting speeding tickets all the time--and I had never gotten any before. I started getting pulled out of airport security lines for special attention. And one day, while walking along 14th Street in downtown Manhattan, a police van pulled up on the sidewalk, and three officers jumped out. They were looking, it turned out, for a rapist, and the rapist, they said, looked a lot like me. They pulled out the sketch and the description. I looked at it, and pointed out to them as nicely as I could that in fact the rapist looked nothing at all like me. He was much taller, and much heavier, and about fifteen years younger (and, I added, in a largely futile attempt at humor, not nearly as good-looking.) All we had in common was a large head of curly hair. After twenty minutes or so, the officers finally agreed with me, and let me go. On a scale of things, I realize this was a trivial misunderstanding. African-Americans in the United State suffer indignities far worse than this all the time. But what struck me was how even more subtle and absurd the stereotyping was in my case: this wasn't about something really obvious like skin color, or age, or height, or weight. It was just about hair. Something about the first impression created by my hair derailed every other consideration in the hunt for the rapist, and the impression formed in those first two seconds exerted a powerful hold over the officers' thinking over the next twenty minutes. That episode on the street got me thinking about the weird power of first impressions.

4. But that's an example of a bad case of thin-slicing. The police officers jumped to a conclusion about you that was wrong. Does "Blink" talk about when rapid cognition goes awry?

Yes. That's a big part of the book as well. I'm very interested in figuring out those kinds of situations where we need to be careful with our powers of rapid cognition. For instance, I have a chapter where I talk a lot about what it means for a man to be tall. I called up several hundred of the Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. and asked them how tall their CEOs were. And the answer is that they are almost all tall. Now that's weird. There is no correlation between height and intelligence, or height and judgment, or height and the ability to motivate and lead people. But for some reason corporations overwhelmingly choose tall people for leadership roles. I think that's an example of bad rapid cognition: there is something going on in the first few seconds of meeting a tall person which makes us predisposed toward thinking of that person as an effective leader, the same way that the police looked at my hair and decided I resembled a criminal. I call this the "Warren Harding Error" (you'll have to read "Blink" to figure out why), and I think we make Warren Harding Errors in all kind of situations-- particularly when it comes to hiring. With "Blink," I'm trying to help people distinguish their good rapid cognition from their bad rapid cognition.

5. What kind of a book is "Blink"?

I used to get that question all the time with "The Tipping Point," and I never really had a good answer. The best I could come up with was to say that it was an intellectual adventure story. I would describe "Blink" the same way. There is a lot of psychology in this book. In fact, the core of the book is research from a very new and quite extraordinary field in psychology that hasn't really been written about yet for a general audience. But those ideas are illustrated using stories from literally every corner of society. In just the first four chapters, I discuss, among other things: marriage, World War Two code-breaking, ancient Greek sculpture, New Jersey's best car dealer, Tom Hanks, speed-dating, medical malpractice, how to hit a topspin forehand, and what you can learn from someone by looking around their bedroom. So what does that make "Blink?" Fun, I hope.

6. What do you want people to take away from "Blink"?

I guess I just want to get people to take rapid cognition seriously. When it comes to something like dating, we all readily admit to the importance of what happens in the first instant when two people meet. But we won't admit to the importance of what happens in the first two seconds when we talk about what happens when someone encounters a new idea, or when we interview someone for a job, or when a military general has to make a decision in the heat of battle.

"The Tipping Point" was concerned with grand themes, with figuring out the rules by which social change happens. "Blink" is quite different. It is concerned with the smallest components of our everyday lives--with the content and origin of those instantaneous impressions and conclusions that bubble up whenever we meet a new person, or confront a complex situation, or have to make a decision under conditions of stress. I think its time we paid more attention to those fleeting moments. I think that if we did, it would change the way wars are fought, the kind of products we see on the shelves, the kinds of movies that get made, the way police officers are trained, the way couples are counseled, the way job interviews are conducted and on and on--and if you combine all those little changes together you end up with a different and happier world.

Just regarding Narcissistic Family (NF) and Trapped in the Mirror (TitM):

I think NF should come first because it's kind of a "foundation course" in that its generality makes it easier to read and understand. Then, once one has some understanding of the foundational concepts which basically apply to almost everyone, then one can move on to TitM because it starts to give more specific cases, and one learns how to apply the info in a deeper and more personal way. Without the understanding from NF, one can often be left thinking, while reading TitM, "this doesn't really apply to my situation"; reading NF first allows one to see, "well that never happened to me, but I understand what is going on and how it relates".

fwiw

Laura said:

I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity," first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

I have read most of the books on the list, and I agree with the order. The psychology books kinda get you started in understanding your own machine, and in a sense start the stripping away of the lies that began in childhood, in the family. It's like beginning at your own beginning. Then moving on to things like political ponerology helps to explain at a larger, society level. ISOTM then explains the system of how to WORK, and clean our machine, which is easier if we have already gained some knowledge of it by observing our own family dynamics.
fwiw, I hope this makes some sense.

Laura said:
In shamanic variations where inheritance is no longer of main importance, there is an element that gives us a small clue to the processes of corruption. In these types of shamanism, the shaman is “initiated,” instead of born. In most such instances, the prospective shaman is led up a local holy mountain or goes to some desolate place. At the appropriate place and time, he is given his clothing of office, drum, and stick, and then swears an oath to the elder shaman responsible for his instruction. The elder reveals to him the secrets of his shamanic calling, and teaches him rituals, and at the end, he is sprinkled with blood from a sacrificial animal, and often dons the skin of the flayed beast.

In the oldest and purest forms, there was no initiation. Shamanism was handed from father to son or mother to daughter, with instruction being given from birth. Initiation was of almost no importance, and bloodline was supreme. The Altai shamans received their “initiations” spontaneously from higher sources, without ceremony.

Fascinating. This is a small preview of Wave 7? Well, certainly looking forward to the whole thing now!

I'm not familiar with Altai shamans but your little description certainly made me curious. Could you recommend some good references on that topic? Their way of life must have been so different. How did they integrate with the society? I must read up on that.

:wow: 

Edit:
Here's some links that came up in my searches around here
- Adventures With Cassiopaea (Chapter 31) - I missed that bit, doh!
- Jupiter, Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and the Return of the Mongols
- Monsters - small but interesting mention

Optional reading?
Topic: Pacifism and Violence

Book: "How Violence Protects The State"
Author: Peter Gelderloos
Press: South End Press
ISBN: 978-0-89608-772-9
Ppg: 182

Summary: Attempts to explain different forms of
Pacifism and different forms of Violence how one,
the other, or both may or may not work and uses
historical references as cases in point.

So far, it is interesting because there are historical
facts we may not know about, with famous names
such as Dr. King, Malcom X, Ghandi, and others. He
talks about events in 20th Century history such as British
Colonialism, changing to Neo-Colonialism, to its current
form, Capitalism, all the while still serving British interests
but one example of many others.

Laura said:

Well, the "Big Four" I read in the following order:
Myth of Sanity
Trapped in the Mirror
Unholy Hungers
The Narcissistic Family

This was based on the recommended order in the Recapitulation thread I believe. Before these I had read a lot of the Fourth Way material - Ouspensky, Gurdjieff, Mouravieff, Bennett, Nicole etc. - and also Castaneda - several times (and will still read them again as well as re-reading the psychology books). The order you gave in this thread makes sense, however, that's the order I read them and they had an immense effect on me. Starting with Myth of Sanity, not only do we get a much better understanding of our self-observations and therefore ourselves, it really reinvigorated my empathy with the case studies and patients Dr. Stout writes about. She is a profound, empathetic, and compassionate being with deep insights; it is a very powerful book. It will change your life - it definitely changed mine. You also get a much deeper understanding of why we dissociate so much having lived in such a cruel world, especially as children, and having to have survived.

Then I read Trapped in The Mirror, which was also very powerful and profound. Elan Golomb also has these qualities like Martha Stout and the book also had a huge effect on me. I don't think you need to totally identify with the specific things talked about to benefit from the material. You will understand how the Negative Introject works and how fear of abandonment and not being good enough, etc. issues hold you back from living a full life. Unholy Hungers and The Narcissictic Family are also immensely powerful, and the authors are also profound and empathetic with deep insights. In Unholy Hungers, Barbara Hort really gives the whole history and dynamics of the psychic vampire archetype and hits home the message of how this "infection" has been passed on from generation to generation, with some people only having some traits and participating in the feeding dynamic as either predator or prey and others actually becoming full blown psychic vampires.

The Narcissistic Family is an excellent overview of the whole problem of narcissistic family dynamics and being narcissistically wounded. Most parents do the best they can, but since they were narcissictically wounded themselves, they pass on the problem to their childern. And we live in an increasingly narcissistic society and culture so the problem seems to be getting worse as time goes on. But all four books, besides really providing a much deeper understanding of what we see when we self-observe and why we are the way we are, also just puts things in perspective. As messed up as I am/have been, some of the stories and patients in these books are totally heart rending. As I said, it reinvigorates your compassion / empathy yet again and let's you know that your life and your problems really are not that bad, and if these patients were able to overcome their terrible lives and recover, well then there's hope for everyone. That said, having such severe problems from such extreme abuse as some of the cases mentioned increase the likelihood of wanting to solve the problems rather than live with them in quiet desperation.

Before I read these four books, I had already come to an understanding how most other people are machines just like me, and have been narcissistically wounded just like me, and had become better able to deal with others' quirks and requirements and demands better and how to externally consider and not identify, etc., but these books took it to a whole new level. These books, most especially The Narcissistic Family, also really teach whole new ways of effective communication and understanding your and others' "crazy making" traits and behaviours to be able to improve all your relationships that you will not terminate. Other than actual pathological deviants, which are thankfully a small minority, we learn to improve our normal relationships, our lives, and become more effective in everyday life, which opens new vistas for the most difficult Work which must come after getting psychologically healthy. And all of this will continue to help us to become more and more STO. Although we cannot be totally STO in this STS 3rd density reality, we can continue the process to become what we want to be.

On a side note, the most recent book I read was Fulcanelli's The Mystery of the Cathedrals, which I just finished a few days ago, after having read Ouspenky's Tertium Organum and Picknett & Prince's The Stargate Conspiracy. I thought it was going to be extremely difficult to understand anything at all from Fulcanelli, but to my surprise, I think I had some new and very profound insights into the Work and this very strange and symbolic and wonderful (and at times terrifying in our little corner) universe we live in. I still need to assimilate it and will read it again at a later time as I do with all books that I feel are full of profound truths, as I continue growing and developing and raising my level of being a bit more therefore understanding more at each consequent read through. Next I will read Allan Kardec's The Book on Mediums as recommended in the Spirit Board - Ouji Video thread. Just a question for those who have read Fulcanelli's Dwellings of the Philosophers (as well as Mystery of the Cathedrals), is it much more difficult than Mystery of the Catherdrals? Because now I'm thinking I should read that as well at some point, but I have to order it since I don't have the book.

SeekinTruth said:
Just a question for those who have read Fulcanelli's Dwellings of the Philosophers (as well as Mystery of the Cathedrals), is it much more difficult than Mystery of the Catherdrals? Because now I'm thinking I should read that as well at some point, but I have to order it since I don't have the book.

I actually found Dwellings a little more user friendly. They should almost be read together, one seems incomplete without the other.

Back
Top Bottom