Rice Milk (Gluten and Sugar Free)

I been having a tooth pain related to a receding gum problem. In the past, I have had these gum problems associated with gluten. Since I cut out gluten, the problem subsided. But then it started to re-occur during the last months. I was clueless as to what it could be and finally decided to go to the dentist for some gum treatment since I was unable to take care of the problem with diet and supplementation. The dental work relieved the pain for the first few days, and then it came back again. Then, on Tuesday we interviewed Dr. Peter Osborne who told us that rice (both white and brown) has gluten. I stopped drinking rice milk since yesterday and now I just realized that the tooth pain, is gone. Another lesson! I was not having any rice to cut lectin intake. But I was oblivious (or in self-denial) to the fact that I was increasing my rice milk intake as of lately

We'll be covering this subject of gluten in grains in our next issue of the Dot Connector Magazine. Dr. Peter Osborne from glutenfreesociety.org gave us lots of compelling information on gluten sensitivity. He does know his stuff!

Interesting! I just had a spoonful of white rice and then felt some fatigue. Does Peter have any specific article on this that delves into the structure of these proteins? All I found was an audio excerpt that mentioned cross-comtamination and genetic modification, and that the grain proteins haven't really been studied.

For those of us who can't order the DCM right now (need a car and a P.O. Box for Strategic Enclosure), could you all possibly mention some highlights from the article, if it's not too much trouble? I'm not the best at finding (and interpreting) information.

Here's what little I found:

__www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/plants/64.rice.html (pro-GMO website)

In Japan, work is underway to develop a hypoallergic strain of rice in which the formation of an allergen (AS-albumin, glutenin) is suppressed.

A curious remark! Not exactly sure what an "AS-albumin" is, although I think albumins can act as lectins. Also, there are some sites that say that rice has glutenin, while others say it doesn't, while this one here essentially says it's no big deal because there's no gliadin:

_chemconnections.org/organic/chem227/Amino%20acids%20flour-3-09.pdf
The baking quality of wheat flour from different varieties is influenced by the glutelin content (Eliasson and Larsson 1993); however, rice flour, with it’s high glutelin fraction, does not form gluten. [...] Glutenin and gliadin form a compound called gluten, which is important in dough.

Then there's this (sorry that I can't get the full article):

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1368858

The globulin of the seed endosperms of rice has an isoelectric point of 6.4 and a M(r) of 26,000. There is one intra-disulphide bond, but no N-linked oligosaccharide chain. The amino acid sequence of the N-terminal and internal regions of the globulin was determined and found to be homologous with that of glutenin, the storage protein in the seed endosperms of wheat. Rice globulin and wheat glutenin were rich in glycine, and glutamic acid or glutamine, and in addition, wheat glutenin cross-reacted with antibody raised against rice globulin. These results suggest that rice seed globulin represents a protein similar to wheat seed glutenin.

I found this helpful in distinguishing all the different (yet related) proteins (from the PDF):

Early researchers divided the proteins of wheat into four solubility classes called Osborne
fractions: albumins, which are water soluble; globulins, which are soluble in salt solutions, but
insoluble in water; gliadins, which are soluble in 70-90 percent alcohol, and glutenins, which are
insoluble in neutral aqueous solutions, saline solutions, or alcohol. The respective protein
fractions from wheat are also applicable to other cereals and are generally known as albumins,
globulins, prolamines, and glutenins. The distribution of these protein fractions varies among
different cereals. There is considerable variation in the solubility classes among the cereals and
also to some extent within each species of cereal.

Hey, that kind of makes me wonder if rice would still cause problems if it were fermented for a long time, then soaked in a baking soda or vinegar solution, and then soaked in water again. Don't know if it would taste good anymore, though!

Apologies if I found something glaringly wrong; there's so much conflicting information! Thanks for bringing this up! :)

zlyja said:
Hey, that kind of makes me wonder if rice would still cause problems if it were fermented for a long time, then soaked in a baking soda or vinegar solution, and then soaked in water again. Don't know if it would taste good anymore, though!

Geez, even if that did work, why would you bother going to all that trouble? :P

Check out Peter Osborne's video here: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/video-tutorial/gluten-sensitivity-what-is-it/

Each grain contain contains a different type of gluten (called prolamines). In wheat, it's called Gliadin. In rice it's called Orzenin. According to Osborne, in wheat the gliadin consists of 69% of the total protein (corn is 55% Zien; Millet is 40% Panicin; Rye is 50% Secalinin). The protein in rice is 5% Orzenin, meaning it contains the lowest amount of gluten of all the grains.

This is really bad news (I eat rice with almost every meal and just bought some rice protein powder for shakes) but, it also explains something I've been puzzled about.

I quit drinking this year. When I was drinking a lot, I had a really bad gut, diarrhoea everyday, bad wind etc. After a few months off alcohol, I started the ultra simple diet. My guts still weren't great, but I thought the ultra simple diet would help a lot.

Well, the diarrhoea stopped, but I've had a real problem with wind. And have still been getting stomach cramps. I thought maybe it was the cruciferous veggies I was eating every day, so I cut those out. That didn't solve the problem, so I reduced my magnesium intake, sometimes not having any for three days. That didn't help either.

It never occurred to me it might be the rice.

Approaching Infinity said:
Check out Peter Osborne's video here: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/video-tutorial/gluten-sensitivity-what-is-it/

Each grain contain contains a different type of gluten (called prolamines). In wheat, it's called Gliadin. In rice it's called Orzenin. According to Osborne, in wheat the gliadin consists of 69% of the total protein (corn is 55% Zien; Millet is 40% Panicin; Rye is 50% Secalinin). The protein in rice is 5% Orzenin, meaning it contains the lowest amount of gluten of all the grains.

I watched this vid last night. It's packed full of information on gluten sensitivity, its causes, and the problems that it can cause. I'm definitely going to give it another watch.

Thank you for the info and the link! :) I wasn't finding anything on rice or millet protein names -- better save that video for reference.

I was actually really surprised that he mentioned amaranth as a glutinous grain (unless I have taken something out of context, then I apologize). So I looked it up and what do you know, it has glutelins:

_http://www.springerlink.com/content/u006r56627066143/

The use of whole and defatted amaranth flour for protein isolation of Osborne fractions is described. Extractability of prolamins, the minor fraction, increased from 2.8 to 5% by adding a reducing agent. Glutelins proved to be poorly solubilized (3.3%) in dilute acetic acid, but they reached a high solubility value (40.8%) using a borate buffer in the presence of a reducing agent and a detergent; solubility remarkably declined without the latter two chemicals. Sonication (a fast and simple technique) in the presence of a detergent proved to be more efficient, compared with stirring, for extractability of total unreduced proteins.

Has anyone had any reactions with amaranth? It's way too expensive where I live. I wonder if the same goes for quinoa and buckwheat. The more I read about this, the more I wonder if it would be better to just cut out all grains, at least until you're sure that the leaky gut has healed (if I got that from the video correctly).

zlyja said:
I wonder if the same goes for quinoa and buckwheat. The more I read about this, the more I wonder if it would be better to just cut out all grains, at least until you're sure that the leaky gut has healed (if I got that from the video correctly).

Hmm, that's a good question. Buckwheat is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel, so not sure if it counts. According to the testimonials on the glutenfreesociety website, one person removed buckwheat, quinoa, millet, teff and corn from their diet to go from 99% gluten free to 100% gluten free. On the other hand, coconut flour and arrowroot flour are suggested.

Buckwheat is mentioned as containing gluten here:
Gluten is a composite of proteins which are stored in endosperms of some cereals. Gluten is not the same in all cereals. It binds with water and gives dough its elasticity and makes it sticky. Some gluten proteins are called prolamins, which damage the mucus in patients with celiac disease. Prolamins which are found in wheat, spelt, triticeae, barley and rye cause gluten intolerance. Also maize, rice and buckwheat contain gluten in small amounts, but they are free from prolamins, therefore, those cereals are not toxic for patients with celiac disease (13). We distinguish between naturally gluten-free or gliadin-free products (most milk products, meat, vegetable, fruits...) and products that have been rendered gluten-free during the production (special bread, pasta, biscuits...).
_http://www.drmed.org/javne_datoteke/novice/datoteke/519-Zbornik_Izzivi_DM_English_07_08.pdf

I wanted to scour the glutenfreesociety website for more information, but the $69 membership is a little off-putting.

Mrs. Peel said:
Wonder if I can sell all those bags of brown rice I stockpiled on Ebay? ;D

Has everyone already started stockpiling? I haven't done any bulk buying yet. I'm going to test for beans this weekend and maybe get some of those. A good site I've been looking at is http://www.bulkfoods.com/default.asp. They have buckwheat and xylitol and lots of other handy things.

I'm wondering when the food shortages will really come about, perhaps the fall harvest season? Wasn't something supposed to happen around the middle of August regarding awareness of the disaster?

But more on topic:

I'm wondering why they have gluten free amaranth and millet? Can it truly be gluten free, or do they all have these inherent proteins in them? I think I need to do some more testing before I order in bulk, but I guess buckwheat and quinoa are safe for now.

This info about the gluten in rice needs to get out. Think of all of the people who are celiac and eat rice thinking it has no gluten. And quite a few packages will say it's gluten free too.

What is the recommended substitute for rice protein powder in the ultrashake?

I've found a couple of possible alternatives at myprotein.co.uk

Pea Protein

Pea Protein Isolate (PPI) is a natural vegetable based protein which offers an excellent nutritional and amino acid profile. Completely free of gluten, lactose, cholesterol and other anti-nutritional factors, this is a great source of protein for those with certain food intolerances.

Pea Protein Isolate is absorbed relatively slowly by the digestive system when compared to other protein sources such as whey protein. This provides your body with a more sustained supply of amino acids and nutrients, making it ideal for consumption throughout the day. Pea Protein Isolate is concentrated to around 85% protein per serving, providing a great source of protein and amino acids especially when combined with other protein sources. It is partcularly high in the Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) and Arginine.

Pea Protein Isolate is ideal for vegans as it is sourced entirely from the yellow pea.

Amino Acid Profile - Pea Protein Isolate

Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein

Isoleucine
Leucine
Lysine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Threonine
Tryptophan
Valine
Non-Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein
Alanine
Arginine
Aspartic Acid
Cystine/Cysteine
Glutamic Acid
Glycine
Histidine
Proline
Serine
Tyrosine

Hemp Protein

Hemp Protein is an excellent source of protein containing all of the Essential Amino Acids (EAAs) at a ratio closer to 'complete' sources of protein such as meat, milk and eggs. It is also packed with live enzymes, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA), vitamins, minerals and other co-factors to aid absorption

Our Hemp Protein Powder is 100% organic and manufactured via a proprietary processing method to retain as much of the nutritional goodness as possible. Absolutely no chemicals or heat are used in any of the processing. The process is cold pressed and cold filtered to produce hemp seed oil. Then the powder is created by cold milling, cold hulling and finally sifting.

To attain optimum health we must eat foods that contain live enzymes, active phyto-nutrients, vitamins, minerals, EAAs, and EFAs. These elements are termed "Essential" because the human body does not produce them, they must come from the food we eat. Hemp Seed is one of the plant kingdom's most concentrated, complete and balanced sources of EAAs and EFAs.

Hemp Seeds are rich in essential nutrients including chlorophyll, magnesium, potassium, sulphur, phytosterols, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium, fibre, histidine, iron, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin and thiamine.

Hemp Seed contains all 10 EAAs, the building blocks of protein. Shelled Hemp Seed or Hemp Nut contains 34.6% pure digestible protein, providing readily available Amino Acids for building and repairing tissue. Hemp Seed Protein is comprised of 65% high quality Edestin Protein, the most potent protein of any plant source and 35% Globulin Edestin, which closely resembles the globulin in blood plasma and is highly compatible with the human digestive system.

Hemp Seed is rich in Omega 6 and Omega 3 EFAs as well as being one of the few plant sources of GLAs.

Our Hemp seed is whole, live, organically grown, non-GM and contains 0.000% THC.

Amino Acid Profile – Organic Hemp Protein

Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein

Isoleucine
Leucine
Lysine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Threonine
Tryptophan
Valine
Non-Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein
Alanine
Arginine
Aspartic Acid
Cystine/Cysteine
Glutamic Acid
Glycine
Histidine
Proline
Serine
Tyrosine

Hemp protein powder's been mentioned quite a few times on the forum, but I hadn't heard of pea protein powder.

T.C. said:
Hemp protein powder's been mentioned quite a few times on the forum, but I hadn't heard of pea protein powder.

Pea protein may have more lectins, hemp protein seems to be safer: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg155011#msg155011

Nathan said:
zlyja said:
I wonder if the same goes for quinoa and buckwheat. The more I read about this, the more I wonder if it would be better to just cut out all grains, at least until you're sure that the leaky gut has healed (if I got that from the video correctly).

Hmm, that's a good question. Buckwheat is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel, so not sure if it counts. According to the testimonials on the glutenfreesociety website, one person removed buckwheat, quinoa, millet, teff and corn from their diet to go from 99% gluten free to 100% gluten free. On the other hand, coconut flour and arrowroot flour are suggested.

Buckwheat is mentioned as containing gluten here:
Gluten is a composite of proteins which are stored in endosperms of some cereals. Gluten is not the same in all cereals. It binds with water and gives dough its elasticity and makes it sticky. Some gluten proteins are called prolamins, which damage the mucus in patients with celiac disease. Prolamins which are found in wheat, spelt, triticeae, barley and rye cause gluten intolerance. Also maize, rice and buckwheat contain gluten in small amounts, but they are free from prolamins, therefore, those cereals are not toxic for patients with celiac disease (13). We distinguish between naturally gluten-free or gliadin-free products (most milk products, meat, vegetable, fruits...) and products that have been rendered gluten-free during the production (special bread, pasta, biscuits...).
_http://www.drmed.org/javne_datoteke/novice/datoteke/519-Zbornik_Izzivi_DM_English_07_08.pdf

I wanted to scour the glutenfreesociety website for more information, but the $69 membership is a little off-putting.

Thanks for the info. If you have time and a medical dictionary, you don't need to spend extra money. :) (By the way, corn does have prolamins in the form of zein). FWIW, I found an abstract on the protein composition of buckwheat. The problem with it is that it talks of tartary buckwheat, which is mainly eaten in the Himalayas. Since it's closely related to common buckwheat, I'm guessing that the protein composition should be more or less the same.

_http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6R-4GRH7CB-4&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1437568804&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e24fd1c2b479bb3f4e624adf1caf7a56

Protein fractions (albumin, globulin, prolamin and glutelin) were extracted from defatted tartary buckwheat flour. Albumin was the predominant protein fraction (43.8%) followed by glutelin (14.6%), prolamin (10.5%), and globulin (7.82%). Albumin was relatively rich in histidine, threonine, valine, phenylalanine, isoleucine, leucine and lysine. Globulin had high levels of methionine and lysine. Prolamin was high in histidine, threonine, valine, isoleucine, and leucine. Glutelin was rich in histidine, threonine, valine, isoleucine, and leucine. SDS–PAGE analysis, under non-reductive and reductive conditions, showed that disulfide bonds existed in the four fractions. Non-reduced albumin showed major bands at 64, 57, 41, and 38 kDa, and globulin at 57, 28, 23, 19 and 15 kDa. Reduced albumin and globulin shared two common bands at 41 and 38 kDa. Reduced prolamin showed major bands at 29, 26, 17 and 15 kDa. In vitro pepsin digestibility of the four fractions (from high to low) was: albumin > globulin > prolamin and glutelin.

I haven't had any trouble digesting buckwheat, though. Definitely looking forward to that article to clear things up. :)

Psyche said:
T.C. said:

Pea protein may have more lectins, hemp protein seems to be safer: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg155011#msg155011

If you have any kind of autoimmune problems, you'll want to avoid foods with a high aspartic and glutamic acid content. So far all the protein powders I've seen have very high levels of both of these. :(

I use brown rice protein powder because its all I've got right now. I'm still looking for something different, but so far this one is the lesser evil.

Gimpy said:
If you have any kind of autoimmune problems, you'll want to avoid foods with a high aspartic and glutamic acid content. So far all the protein powders I've seen have very high levels of both of these. :(

I use brown rice protein powder because its all I've got right now. I'm still looking for something different, but so far this one is the lesser evil.

I make a shake with vitamin C, D-ribose, L-glutamine, acetyl-L-carnitine, etc. (all in powder). There are pharmaceutical grade amino acid powders in pure forms. But since I have a protein rich breakfast (meat), I often skip the shake, especially when there are no blueberries around :)

Psyche said:
T.C. said:

Thanks Psyche

Psyche said:
I make a shake with vitamin C, D-ribose, L-glutamine, acetyl-L-carnitine, etc. (all in powder). There are pharmaceutical grade amino acid powders in pure forms. But since I have a protein rich breakfast (meat), I often skip the shake, especially when there are no blueberries around

If you skip the shake, do you just mix the powders with water and drink them?

Heimdallr said:
If you skip the shake, do you just mix the powders with water and drink them?

No, actually it has been awhile since I cut out all supplementation except for magnesium, vitamin C and a once a week DMSO dose. Occasionally, I take other supplements. But in general, after a couple of experimental colon cleanses, I'm taking much less supplements. I feel like I don't need as I used to. A lot of us actually, had cut out a lot of daily supplements. It's been awhile since we are detoxing and now we are sort of in a "maintaining mode." But we are still keeping the supplements for special occasions or when we feel we need help with detoxing. But I've been feeling much better with the diet lately, just by removing problematic foods. I feel like I need to save the supplements for troublesome times, if that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom