Russia Begins Operations in Syria: End Game for the US Empire?

At Least 20 Dead After Israeli Warplanes Strike Iranian Military Base In Southern Syria: Reports
Tyler Durden Sat, 04/14/2018 - 15:54

Update 1615ET: Hezbollah-tied news media is denying any aistrikes took place.
"These rumors being circulated to raise morale of terrorists, which was brought low after failure of tripartite aggression on Syria."
al-Mayadeen denies reports of an Israeli strike in Jabal Azzan, with al-Ahed reporting that the source of explosions in Aleppo was from detonating explosives, not airstrikes.

Update 1555ET: as expected, it was indeed Israel
  • FOUR ISRAELI AIRSTRIKES ON IRANIAN BASE IN ALEPPO #SYRIA - REPORTS: i24
According to unconfirmed reports from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, there have been a number of casualties following the strike. It remains unclear if those killed were Syrians or Iranians. If the latter, Iran may soon be in a state of war with Israel.

Maariv reports that at least 20 Iranian Officers were killed in Aleppo due to the airstrikes.
Trump's mission in Syria may be "accomplished", but Israel's is just getting be getting started (as we speculated).

According to a reports by SkyNews Arabia and Al Arabiya, a huge explosion was heard at the Iranian base Jabal Azzan located in Syria's Aleppo after it was struck by "unidentified warplanes."

Other sources, including Israel's Jerusalem Post, confirm the strike:
  • POSSIBLE STRIKE AGAINST IRAN BASE, WEAPONS WAREHOUSE IN SOUTHERN ALEPPO SYRIA FOLLOWING REPORTS OF EXPLOSIONS: JPOST
  • MILITANTS SAY EXPLOSIONS AT LARGE IRANIAN MILITIA BASE IN ALEPPO: AL HADATH
An unconfirmed photo of the strike:

The alleged Iranian airbase was first disclosed in late February, when Fox News published images showing a military base northeast of Syria's capital. According to the report, Iran's Al Quds force is operating the post.

jabal%20azzan%20base.jpg

For more information, please see "Israeli Satellite Images Reveal: Iran Builds Military Base Near Damascus."

While it is too early to determine who launched the attack, since none of the western forces have claimed responsibility, the most likely party is Israel which as a reminder, was also the first to strike Syria last Monday, almost a week before the US-coalition forces also unloaded on Syria.
Developing.

Update:

MSM Claims Israel Conducts Own Strikes Against Syria Following US-led Attack
Snip:

According to local sources, the explosion in Jabal Azzan was a result of the detonation of an IEDs stockpile in the area.
These IEDs had been removed from Aleppo and its countryisde after the city was liberated from militants by the Syrian Army in 2016.

The Hezbollah media wing in Syria also denounced reports about the alleged Syrian airstrikes in the area.

The “Israeli airstrikes in Aleppo” story is a perfect example how rumors may spread in the media if the situation on the ground is tense and competing sides are making conflicting statements on various issues.

Last edited:
According to unconfirmed reports from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, there have been a number of casualties following the strike. It remains unclear if those killed were Syrians or Iranians. If the latter, Iran may soon be in a state of war with Israel.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has no confidence in reports from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and that is something I consider when I hear anything from them.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said that White Helmets and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) cannot be considered to be reliable sources as they have been repeatedly caught spreading fake reports on the situation in the war-torn country.

Apparently the Hezbollah media wing is not getting too excited either.

The Hezbollah media wing in Syria also denounced reports about the alleged Syrian airstrikes in the area.

The “Israeli airstrikes in Aleppo” story is a perfect example how rumors may spread in the media if the situation on the ground is tense and competing sides are making conflicting statements on various issues.

Reactions: Ca.
"He just burned his bridges with a lot of people who think telling the truth is important."

Funny isn't it. Other Presidents lie and scheme to their hearts content to the detriment of 'their' people along with massive civilian bloodshed overseas including the totting up body-count of their own troops, and they get 2 full terms in office. When Trump lies, not only does he avoid a potentially disastrous conflict with a formidable highly organised nuclear power (Russia) whilst nevertheless taking military action despite grave warnings not to (thus arguably saving some of face) but, according to The Independent "...Russian air defences appear not to have been used and it is likely that the Americans and the French, who had been liaising with the Moscow, had obtained agreement that they would not be" - actually suggests possible cooperation.
Chosen Targets: Destroyed (according to West).
Confrontation with Nuclear Foe: Avoided.
Casualties (thus far) = 0

....Yet this is a political disaster touting the end for Trump? I see...

Bad lies = Good
Good lies = Bad

I see the authoritarian followers - Left & Right - parroting the excuses on Twitter, and expressing faith that the US & UK governments must have the evidence (even though we haven't seen it).

I, as many of his former supporters, am now having to consider how differently I will go about promoting truth & the better future after this. One thing is sure, I will be giving Trump a lot more pushback, instead of the benefit of the doubt as I had been.

Truth feeds Good, lies feed Evil. Every lie feeds Evil, no matter who tells it, or why, or how. No such thing as lying in the service of Good.

This was a great opportunity for Trump to tell the truth. Instead he chose to lie, over and over. Unacceptable.

I've been looking for more sources about the capture of British Military Men in Douma. I've only found reposts of the fars news article ie) https://www.globalresearch.ca/syria...-to-launch-ground-assault-on-damascus/5635823

Word on the street in Amman is that not only 2 British generals, but three Israeli's and one American were also captured. They requested help from Putin to secure their release and he refused to get involved. They asked Oman, but they failed. It will be interesting to see if this is actually the case. If the tables were turned, anyone captured would be doing hard time in Gitmo.

Trump has really put himself in a real pickle - wide open for impeachment, for taking military action without congressional approval. Several congressmen are already speaking out about the this, including Senator Kaine, Hillary's VP running mate.

It's a real horse and pony show! Pass the popcorn.....please.

Hello Lilou.
I've been looking for more sources about the capture of British Military Men in Douma.
I've done the same, as stated here :
UK's SAS officers taken or killed by Syrian army in eastern Ghouta ?

I've only found reposts of the fars news article
Idem here.

Word on the street in Amman is that not only 2 British generals, but three Israeli's and one American were also captured.
It's possible that not only UK but also USA and Israel special forces (SF) went there and were captured.
But it's highly improbable that a British general would go on field like that. Maybe you mean British officers ?
(Because in SF there are only officers, not "basic" soldiers, IIRC).

It's a real horse and pony show! Pass the popcorn.....please.
Indeed !

PS : according to the French article I've cited in the thread, the captured (or killed) Brittons are from the 22nd Batalion of the SAS (Special Air Services, one of UK's SF). HTH.

I, too thought General was a pretty high rank to be in such a place. I "quoted" what my friend in Amman said, they said General. So who knows, really.

So now they want to negotiate with Moscow and take the diplomatic route? Whatever game they're playing, they have consistently underestimated Putin, they're most likely doing it again.

US & allies will try to get Moscow on board for new UNSC resolution after attacking Syria – report

In what could be a surprising twist of events, the trio of Western allies, who just antagonized Russia with a strike on Syria, now want to go the diplomatic route and persuade Moscow to back their new draft at the UN, AFP reports.

The draft resolution, authored by the US, the UK and France, was seen by AFP, which reported that the discussions over the text are set to commence on Monday. It is unclear when and whether the draft will be submitted to the UN Security Council to vote on, the report notes, citing "Western diplomats" as saying that this time the Western states will do their best to negotiate it with Moscow.

If true, it would be a surprising change of pace, considering that in the run-up to the massive coordinated strike on Syria's military and civilian facilities on Saturday, the West accused Russia of being complicit in an alleged chemical attack in Douma on April, 7. Just several days ago, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley showed no hint of compromise, as she branded the Russian government a "regime" whose "hands are covered in the blood of Syrian children."

On Friday, she further fueled the fire by saying it was "Russia alone that has stopped at nothing to defend the Syrian regime's multiple uses of chemical weapons."

Several consecutive resolutions on investigating the Douma incident, drafted by Russia on the one side and the US on the other, have failed in the United Security Council. While Russia vetoed the American proposals, its own drafts failed to garner enough votes to require a veto, outweighed by those of America's allies on the Council.

On Tuesday, the Western permanent members of the Council even rejected what Russian envoy to the UN Vassily Nebenzia called an "innocuous" resolution welcoming the fact-finding mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) to Syria. That draft "almost completely copied" an earlier proposal by Sweden.

The reported new draft, sponsored by Washington, Paris and London appears to be no different from the earlier proposals advocated by the West. According to AFP, it seeks to establish an investigation into the allegations that Damascus used chlorine-filled munitions on civilians in Douma. While the OPCW fact-finding mission is not in a position to apportion blame, the newly-created mechanism would be tasked with determining the culprit. In line with the Western claims that Syria has not destroyed all its chemical stockpiles, the draft gives the OPCW 30 days to report back to the UNSC whether this is the case. The draft also calls for facilitating humanitarian aid deliveries to Syria and a renewal of the 30-day humanitarian ceasefire outlined in the resolution unanimously adopted by the UN Security Council on February 24.

As far as the Syrian peace settlement is concerned, the draft reportedly includes a veiled threat levelled at Syrian President Bashar Assad, as it "demands" him to participate in peace negotiations "constructively and without preconditions."

The US, the UK and France unleashed over 100 missiles on Syria on Saturday, targeting facilities they claim are at the "heart" of the Syrian chemical program. Hailing the attack, which was denounced by Russian President Vladimir Putin as "an aggression against a sovereign state," Haley said that US guns are "locked and loaded," and that it will not hesitate to strike again in case of a new chemical attack in Syria.

Honestly, the last sentence makes me laugh. Haley forgot to add that they will not hesitate to strike civilians again. Not to mention that their big bad missiles are so bad that Putin knocked most of them down.

Truth feeds Good, lies feed Evil. Every lie feeds Evil, no matter who tells it, or why, or how. No such thing as lying in the service of Good.
Well, the C's have not always been truthful for the sake of personal safety. So there's that.
But, okay, in this case I do agree with you. I wasn't being literal regards "good lies" being 'good'. It was more analogical coming from the perspective of standard base-line 3D STS human-thinking that makes up the bulk of the bewildered herd.

This was a great opportunity for Trump to tell the truth. Instead he chose to lie, over and over. Unacceptable.
Really? I think most here on Cass would agree there are some very dark forces at work behind the scenes on Capitol Hill... Goodness knows what evils Trump must mitigate within his midst.

I'm not american, but I doubt it helps to simply dump Trump as he goes with the lies, it seems kind of self-rightous. If he cannot be a real president, then who could? If people turn away from him it is like admitting that this country cannot be governed, which is very destabilizing. If he lies knowingly and people know he does it because he doesn't have a chance, aren't they both in the same boat?

Back
Top Bottom