Sam Vaknin - Narcissist or "I, Psychopath"?

Re: Sam Vaknin - Narcissist or Psychopath?

mechanima said:
So if you want to "cut to the chase" and ban me for non-compliance with the group dynamic now I will quite understand.

Hello mechanima, forgive my jumping in, bit I also would like to "cut to the chase". You say you are autistic and if true, thank you for an explanation of why/how you "say" what you "say". Please understand that here is a group of people who also like to discuss and learn, objectively. Many of us here have been rubbed the wrong way. Had feelings hurt, been pissed off, lashed back in anger. But what the longtimers here have learnt is that others here really care for them. Ever hear that old saying "Truth Hurts". Yep, I think it does. A warrior can get past those emotions to look at themselves, perhaps learn to control the emotions, this sack of flesh & water we inhabit. I guess what I'm trying to say, that if you truly desire to observe yourself, and perhaps live a life with a little understanding, we are here to discuss. Nobody can do this alone. And being autistic, perhaps this may be the first sacred cow?

AND THEN AGAIN YOU COULD BE A RUN OF THE MILL TROLLS AND THEREFOR ...
:ban: :ban: :ban:

Well, what be it?

anart said:
mechanima said:
I realise that you are a "supermoderator" and what you actually expect me to do is submit to whatever you say

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but it could not be further from the truth. It would be, at the very least, polite of you to at least learn something about the forum upon which you are posting before jumping to such bizarre and rather insulting conclusions.

I don't know why you are getting worked up, it's just normal, neurotypical group dynamics...nothing insulting about that. Incidentally I have been familiar with the Cassiopaea Project since 2000.

anart said:
m said:
as part of a, perfectly normal, social ritual concerned with group integration, but, frankly, I am not here to find a place within a group

I did not assume that you were.

Oh sorry...it was just the only explanation I could think of for why you would expect me to prioritise compliance with you over reality and my own observations of it...so if not that, then why?

anart said:
m said:
(I am autistic, it would sorta creep me out to have one), I am just here to stick to the facts...in case they help someone else avoid or escape the abuses under discussion.

Rather odd that you would bring up the point that you are autistic. Is this an excuse for being rude?

I don't think it is remotely rude to refuse to agree with a person who is not even making sense, or a *supermoderator* who, erroneously tries to insist that you agree with them when you most certainly do not.

I pointed out that I am autistic simply to help you take me seriously when I point out that honesty and reality is important to me and "group compliance" is not.

anart said:
m said:
So if you want to "cut to the chase" and ban me for non-compliance with the group dynamic now I will quite understand.

That is not how it works on this forum, and as I stated previously, it would be greatly appreciated if you could - at the very least - become familiar with the forum upon which you are posting and not jump to derogatory conclusions that server neither you, nor the forum, very well.

Trans:
If you want to post on this forum you are expected to participate in and comply with the existing group dynamic and either accept your place in the pecking order or manipulate for a higher one...

No deal...

'Bye
;D

Sadly, I am severely allergic to group dysfunction and hypocrasy and never endose either, let alone both, with my presence.

I might as well be "Chez Femfree"!

*shudders*

Well, for whatever reason, mechanima is erasing her posts. :huh:

I've saved this one because I'm still thinking through it.

Quote from: anart on Today at 08:25:05 AM
Quote from: mechanima on Today at 07:48:05 AM
I realise that you are a "supermoderator" and what you actually expect me to do is submit to whatever you say

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but it could not be further from the truth. It would be, at the very least, polite of you to at least learn something about the forum upon which you are posting before jumping to such bizarre and rather insulting conclusions.

I don't know why you are getting worked up, it's just normal, neurotypical group dynamics...nothing insulting about that. Incidentally I have been familiar with the Cassiopaea Project since 2000.

Quote from: m
as part of a, perfectly normal, social ritual concerned with group integration, but, frankly, I am not here to find a place within a group

I did not assume that you were.

Oh sorry...it was just the only explanation I could think of for why you would expect me to prioritise compliance with you over reality and my own observations of it...so if not that, then why?

(I am autistic, it would sorta creep me out to have one), I am just here to stick to the facts...in case they help someone else avoid or escape the abuses under discussion.

Rather odd that you would bring up the point that you are autistic. Is this an excuse for being rude?

I don't think it is remotely rude to refuse to agree with a person who is not even making sense, or a *supermoderator* who, erroneously tries to insist that you agree with them when you most certainly do not.

I pointed out that I am autistic simply to help you take me seriously when I point out that honesty and reality is important to me and "group compliance" is not.

That is not how it works on this forum, and as I stated previously, it would be greatly appreciated if you could - at the very least - become familiar with the forum upon which you are posting and not jump to derogatory conclusions that server neither you, nor the forum, very well.

Trans:
If you want to post on this forum you are expected to participate in and comply with the existing group dynamic and either accept your place in the pecking order or manipulate for a higher one...

No deal...

'Bye
Cheesy

Note to mods: I think I messed up the quotes, sorry!

Sadly, I am severely allergic to group dysfunction and hypocrasy and never endose either, let alone both, with my presence.

I might as well be "Chez Femfree"!

*shudders*

Then why are you still here? :rolleyes:

mechanima said:
anart said:

It's not normal to think that, because someone is a moderator, the "rest" have to submit to anything they say. That's just twisted logic that happens in forums where pathological types rule the roost, something that is both not "normal", nor a condition of this forum. By the way, I don't think anart is getting worked up at all. Anart was merely trying to point out how rude and insulting your words were. Apparently that point went right over your head.

m said:

You are completely missing the point. Compliance is not what is being asked, polite and civil discourse is. Interesting that you are either unable or unwilling to understand the difference.

m said:

Again, totally missing the point. You are sounding like you have to give in to some totalitarian dictatorship here. All that is being asked is that you attempt to communicate in a manner which is considerate of others, instead of writing entirely for your own benefit. Where exactly does anart "insist you agree with them" anyway? Geeze, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

m said:

No, the only manipulation occurring here is by you. You have totally misinterpreted what has been written to you, either consciously or not. What you are writing here is bordering on pathological. No one is forcing anything on you. But you are expected to carry yourself in a civil and polite manner. If that is too much to ask, you will be better off finding another forum to populate.

May I ask a question? Why is the poster named "no one" answering posts directed to the poster named mechanima?

Filachi said:
May I ask a question?  Why is the poster named "no one" answering posts directed to the poster named mechanima? 

mechanima, while deleting several of her posts, also changed her username to 'no one', further confusing the thread. ( I was confused at first as well, until I looked up the account and email. )

Gotta love how Sam answers a newbie on one of his hunting grounds...er, support groups:

http://thepsychopath.freeforums.org/new-and-possibly-married-to-a-narcissist-t9482.html

ARG :scared:

Thanks Filachi for bringing up the name change from "Mechanima" to "No One." And thank you Anart for clarifying the name change cus that kind of threw me too.
Quote from: Filachi on January 06, 2009, 10:50:41 AM
May I ask a question? Why is the poster named "no one" answering posts directed to the poster named mechanima?

Anart answered... "mechanima, while deleting several of her posts, also changed her username to 'no one', further confusing the thread. ( I was confused at first as well, until I looked up the account and email." )

purplehaze:

We have a couple members at our site who used to see Evans, in person, for counseling - and ran like hell. She apparently has a ego the size of Jupiter. Probably N.

Evans also doesn't like members who are as or more informed than her. She will trump up some reason to get rid of them ASAP

Too right! One woman I know attended one of Evans's "retreats" a few years ago, and remarked afterwards that "the saint's halo slipped considerably"! She talked about how Evans "controlled" the group discussions they had there, only accepting comments from attendees who agreed with her and brushing aside anyone who said anything she didn't happen to like.

I don't have time right now to do justice to everything that's happened on Evans's site--her infamous "Purge of '02" is a whole story in itself--but it's certainly true that she doesn't like members who are more informed than she is--or anyone who has the temerity to challenge any of her writing. I found this was considered a hanging offense on her board back in 2002. The following year, 2003, Evans again indulged her habit of entertaining a pet abuser on her board, a woman I'll give the code name of "MiniMimi." MiniMimi was all over the board for months, picking on posters and insulting them, engaging in gang fights with a couple of sidekicks (one of whom I'd say was a genuine narcissist), and creating constant drama. These shenanigans reduced Evans's board to a farce. It was littered with threads full of MiniMimi's issues and conflicts with other posters--which she then wiped out only to start another one--with PMs flying in the background and chatter about "MMM this" and "MMM that" all over the place. Numerous posters were complaining to Evans for months about this ongoing soap opera, but Evans took no notice and did absolutely nothing.

Then toward the end of the year MiniMimi stepped up her hate campaign against certain posters she disliked, by publicly posting the contents of PMs they'd sent her to try and embarrass them. This of course was a gross breach of etiquette and should have been against the rules of any message board. But Evans did nothing about that either.

Since nobody seemed to object to these violations of privacy, another woman decided to strike back by openly posting the contents of some PMs that Mimi Mimi had previously sent to her. These were in Spanish--possibly because this woman's own native language was Spanish, possibly because MiniMimi (who wasn't Hispanic herself) preferred to make the contents harder for most people to read. Unfortunately for MiniMimi, the woman who posted them also provided a convenient translation into English.

Along with some other strange assertions, MiniMimi's PMs were critical of Evans's work at a fundamental level. It was all nonsense, but MiniMimi went so far as to say about Evans that "her work is not serious" ("su trabajo no tiene seriedad")!

That exposure was all it took to achieve what months of complaints had utterly failed to do. In double quick time, Evans announced that an "unnamed poster" had been banned from the board. She implied she was banning MiniMimi chiefly because of posters' complaints about her abuse. That was such a transparent piece of hypocrisy it was totally laughable when the real reason why she banned MiniMimi was so obvious to all. But who knows, maybe Evans thinks everyone else is stupid.

More mismanaged help sites we know of:
Dr. Irene's Catbox (Dr. Irene is a right wing psycho and a sychophant of Vaknin's. Keeps a number of "just lay down and take it" moderators around; much like Evans)

While Dr. Irene's site has also suffered from mismanagement, the rest of this is a long way from the truth in my observation. There's no way I'd call her "psycho." I think what this illustrates best is what I mentioned in an earlier post: that too many of the posters on this type of site are pretty unstable too! All this ranting rhetoric about "right wing psychos" and the like obviously originated with one of the flakes who used to be on that Catbox site and afterwards couldn't find anything better to do with herself than spew her petty spite at the owner for booting her and her bullying sidekicks off the board. Unfortunately sources of that kind are not to be trusted.

I already discussed that incident in an earlier post, so I'll only recap the relevant points here. Dr. Irene is not a "sycophant of Vaknin's," only one of many people who have chosen to publish some of Vaknin's writing (along with many other people's writing) because it's useful in its way. She's not only pointed out that Vaknin has no formal qualifications or experience in mental health, but also expressed some specific points of disagreement with Vaknin.

Also, the remark about the "just lay down and take it" moderators is just one more example of the many distortions being spread around by disgruntled ex-Catbox members with an ax to grind. This example is significant because it illustrates the gulf that had opened up between the crowd of CRUMBUM sufferers who had largely come to dominate the Catbox under the ancien régime, and the more reasonable and moderate positions espoused by the new management. It wasn't even a "number" of moderators that these ex-members were carping about. It was one in particular who often discussed the possibility of "radical acceptance" of a "difficult" partner. Incidentally that moderator seems to have resigned. All this is a long way from pretending a whole team of moderators were telling abused people to "just lay down and take it."

The comparison with Evans is instructive. I hope that remark about the moderators wasn't meant to apply to Evans, because my experience of Evans's site is the opposite: that its problems have been due to the absence of moderators. Although both sites have suffered from mismanagement in the past, the immediate causes of problems on the Evans site have largely been the opposite of those on the Catbox site.

The problem on Evans's site is that she never would do what most message board owners do with a relatively large membership: that's to say, appoint a team of volunteer moderators to keep the board running smoothly and trouble-free. I'd guess that's because Evans is too darn controlling to want to delegate any of her power to anyone else! She wouldn't want anyone else to upstage her either! She's alleged in years past that she had a so-called "professional Web editor" to help her run the board, but nobody has ever seen or heard from this person and many doubted her existence. As a result, Evans's board has had to stagger along with "moderator" intervention (from herself) that's been minimal and sporadic at best, not to mention arbitrary. Evans never spent that much time attending to her board.

Dr. Irene on the other hand did appoint moderators from quite early in the history of the Catbox. The problem was that after a time she left them to run her board almost entirely by themselves and didn't keep a close enough eye on it herself. As a result, bullies became entrenched on her board and her previous moderators failed to control them as they should have done.

So the historic causes of the meltdowns on both boards--Evans in 2002, the Catbox in October--were the same: bullies on the board, and lack of attention from the owners in person. However, the immediate causes were the opposite. Evans's meltdown happened because she still didn't seem to have a clue what was happening on her own board when she intervened to deal with the problems the bullies were causing. As a result, she stupidly ended up taking the side of the bullies against the large majority of her own good posters! A meltdown was inevitable.

Dr. Irene faced the converse problem. When she did start paying attention to the trouble on her board, she could see who the bullies were all right, and she very properly kicked them off. Indeed, their outrageous rudeness left her no alternative. The trouble was the bullies had been entrenched far too long on her board--a matter of years, no less--so they couldn't be gotten rid of without significant loss of other posters. A job of that kind is like cleaning out the Augean stables. But at least the Catbox can grow again into a healthier site than it had been, while a board like Evans's will always have problems of some kind as long as she's running it!

In fact Evans seems to have given up altogether trying to run her board on any scale. After her "Purge of '02" she progressively restricted the board in certain ways, leading people to criticize it as increasingly "cultlike." But she was still having trouble on it from time to time, since she wouldn't appoint moderators to police it. Finally at the start of 2005 she stopped letting any new members on unless they personally telephoned her for an interview! The result was predictable. Recruitment plummeted; the board's membership dwindled away over time, and the volume of posts dropped to a fraction of what it used to be. So Evans capped years of mismanagement by virtually strangling her own board to death!

purplehaze said:
Gotta love how Sam answers a newbie on one of his hunting grounds...er, support groups:

http://thepsychopath.freeforums.org/new-and-possibly-married-to-a-narcissist-t9482.html

ARG :scared:

Oh mercifulgod!! What a warm welcome!!! He pelts her with links to HIS writing. (If Ida known you were comin, Ida baked a cake)

Back
Top Bottom