Schizophrenic mexican elections

So today the third and last debate with the candidates will take place, and we have seen quite a shift in the whole game. To make a short summary about what's going on here are some of the things i've been thinking about in bullet points:

- We are seeing lots of news about Anaya and his money laundring, his veracity is now on the floor, no one believes in him anymore. There's lots of memes going around mocking him and what a liar he is. People are noticing this also.
- Meade, well, lots of people say that his error was to be candidate with the PRI party, that if he was an independent candidate he would probably win the elections.
- And the shocker to many people is AMLO's recent discussions with businessman. He's been having meetings with a lot of people to make agreements about different topics in the agenda. One big shocker was that he was against the new airport and now he said that they will continue with the plan. This, IMO, makes it clear that he will win...

What will happen next?

I think AMLO will win, he has now plenty agreements with businessman and is backed up my many of them now. Things might change, but for me it's clear that he is now the winner. We will see what happens after this new debate.

Mexico not pressing massive bribery charges due to election
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2018/06/mexico-not-pressing-massive-bribery.html
Translated by El Profe for Borderland Beat from Animal Politico Monday, June 11, 2018

The investigations into alleged acts of corruption of officials of the government of President Enrique Peña Nieto in the Odebrecht case have been hampered because it could affect the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), ahead of the elections on July 1, say three people interviewed by The New York Times.

According to what these three people told the newspaper, the millions of dollars in bribes from Odebrecht were paid to the officials who work for the company Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex), through accounts in tax havens to guarantee infrastructure contracts.

The contracts, payments of bribes and monetary transfers that were revealed by the Brazilian government and Mexican media on the case are corroborated with the files that are part of the investigation.

However, Mexican authorities did not extend the investigation to seek new contracts or payments that the Brazilian government may have overlooked, the three people who know the case told The New York Times.

The note published in The New York Times points out that, after resigning from the Attorney General's Office (PGR), Raul Cervantes, the ex director of the unit, said publicly that the investigation was concluded.

On the other hand, his successor, the acting attorney general, Alberto Elías Beltrán, has contradicted these declarations, when suggesting that the investigations continue, and therefore the PGR can not divulge details on the advance in the case.

No official has been accused of accepting bribes from Odebrecht, and the only sanction, so far, is an impediment to participate in public contracting with the company.

Although in reality, according to those interviewed by the newspaper, the investigations into the case were filed.

In addition, a review of the file, obtained by The New York Times, confirmed that, "on occasion, the PGR itself appeared to be delaying the proceedings."

One of the main targets of corruption in the Odebrecht case is the former director of Pemex, Emilio Lozoya, who according to three exejecutives of the company received bribes of at least 10 million dollars, in exchange for his support as a public official in Mexico for obtain public works contracts.
Lozoya has denied on several occasions the accusations made against him.

According to an investigation carried out by Fifth Element Lab, once Lozoya arrived at the general direction of Pemez, Odebrecht asked him for help to win contracts, and the positive response.
The same organization indicates that later, during 2013 and 2014, bribes continued to be transferred through offshore companies.

Currently, Emilio Lozoya is investigated for alleged electoral crimes, because he is accused of having received 3 million 140 thousand dollars from the Odebrecht company during the 2012 election, when he served as Coordinator of International Liaison in the presidential campaign of Enrique Peña.

Once Peña assumed the presidency, Lozoya was appointed director of Pemex, and, according to an informant quoted by Fifth Element Lab, since then received at least another 6 million dollars in bribes, in exchange for works in Tula, Hidalgo.
With information from The New York Times.

Last edited:
My take on the debate in short: I can't even think what's going to happen in the elections. Apparently polls "say" Meade won the debate, for me it was just more of the same; fighting against each other, seeing who is more corrupt, one of them was even using his cellphone!!! Until the moderator told him: please don't use your cellphone and he just answered "I was looking at the time.." Really??!? You can see how this is all a joke for them, and worst of all they are mocking the people, for me they show no respect at all for the population. It's all about them and them... I even thought at a point that Anaya and AMLO were literally about to hit each other, that Anaya dude is just a psycho..

For Spanish speakers, here's a summary of the "best" phrases of the debate:

Reactions: Ca.
FBI, Facebook Bronco Investigation :lol:, of course I had to laugh even though I know, Bronco was inserted in this elections dynamics to create noise and the like, sometimes it mentions intersting things and, from FBI is like the saying "between jokes, the truth surface" or something like that ... INE's debate purposes seems just to create rating, the model of this new kind of "debate" we had been seeing did not help to expose ideas, how they are going to do this or that, to me was like seeing behaviours as in an elementary school .. and, I think kids at elementary school behave better ...

In the case of Odeberecht, they are not going to prosecute themselves that easily ...

- And the shocker to many people is AMLO's recent discussions with businessman. He's been having meetings with a lot of people to make agreements about different topics in the agenda. One big shocker was that he was against the new airport and now he said that they will continue with the plan. This, IMO, makes it clear that he will win...

What will happen next?

I think AMLO will win, he has now plenty agreements with businessman and is backed up my many of them now. Things might change, but for me it's clear that he is now the winner. We will see what happens after this new debate.

Agree, AMLO may win, I heard recently one of Jalife's videos with Astillero, making an interesting connection with neoliberalism, coming form zedillistas within AMLO's group ... he gives the idea of a greater change, but how things works will continue within neoliberalism framework thats why businessman reached and agreement, I think. And, yes, they talk too about US worry, I had believed that mexican president will and should be accordingly US politics, as it happends in the world aswell.

https://youtu.be/6oGjiH2yboE

Agree, AMLO may win, I heard recently one of Jalife's videos with Astillero, making an interesting connection with neoliberalism, coming form zedillistas within AMLO's group ... he gives the idea of a greater change, but how things works will continue within neoliberalism framework thats why businessman reached and agreement, I think. And, yes, they talk too about US worry, I had believed that mexican president will and should be accordingly US politics, as it happends in the world aswell.

https://youtu.be/6oGjiH2yboE

I also watched this analysis and thought it was a great discussion, Jalife and Astillero know what they are talking about. From the last debate one thing that Anaya said did really stood out for me, he said to AMLO "You are becoming everything you are criticizing.." At that moment I thought, oh oh, this is a perfect quote to use against AMLO now, cause in the end well he making lots of pacts with people right? But that's the only way he had to win..

Less than a month to go now, but with all honesty, six years are nothing to make a change in this country. And I truly believe that unless us mexicans also change, nothing will... I had an interesting talk with a friend about this yesterday and he was mentioning how some of people in Mexico are just looking for their own interests. You know, we are a very divided country, like for example after 19S, a lot of people were helping each other and so on, month later or so people from the Condesa neighbourhood were complaining about some people that were living in tents near by cause they didn't have anywhere else to go.. where did all the brotherhood go??? This is, for me, a perfect example for me as to why things are as they are in the Country...

So yes, the president does have a great impact on the country, but unless we mexicans don't do something towards having a better life and a better country for all of us, big changes won't happen. OSIT.

Presidential Campaign in Mexico Gets Dirty
June 13, 2018
Anonymous phone calls are going out with messages warning that the leading candidate is a danger to the country. At the same time, political violence has claimed more than a hundred lives. Laura Carlsen reports from Mexico. From https://therealnews.com/stories/hecho-en-america-mexicos-presidential-campaign-gets-dirty#
Transcripts
7f69c7af-a883-43c2-b9dd-cc22ad229b48.png

Story courtesy of: Rompeviento.tv

I also watched this analysis and thought it was a great discussion, Jalife and Astillero know what they are talking about. From the last debate one thing that Anaya said did really stood out for me, he said to AMLO "You are becoming everything you are criticizing.." At that moment I thought, oh oh, this is a perfect quote to use against AMLO now, cause in the end well he making lots of pacts with people right? But that's the only way he had to win..
Morena, it's party, had welcome a variety of ideologies of people, that a certain point is what Mexico is, and had lessen his speach towards businessman and mafia as well, that seems to be, as you say, the only way to win ...

I saw at social media a little speech that mentions several intersting points, he explains/complains about our state of mind, being too childish to comprehend how things work, I supposed that, in my wishful thinking that people in goverment should be at least not corrupt or not that corrupt - ............. and I wonder if I am being ponerized as well by the system, acepting corruption!:-(, because I understand as this guy mentions that there are a lot of things behind courtains, corruption embebed, that would be too difficult to swallow ... for me should not be that difficult after all this years at sott or the forum :huh: ..... buf! He also explains that the vote should not be thinking for personal benefit, should be thinking in all, althoug valid the statement, I do not agree with his argument based on venezuelatation ... as if we do not have a lot of problems right now, like insecurity and narco/organized criminals-goverment, latest police killed -according to authorities in an ambush La Jornada: Matan supuestos huachicoleros a seis policías ... another missing student at Tijuana https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/4000-march-for-missing-student/, Coke and Pepsi leave Guerrero due to insecurity A Pepsi bottler is shutting down operations in one of Mexico's most violent states — 3 months after Coca-Cola left the same town ... that would sound good if it was not that is from insecurity, and heard that it had not been the only companies ...
If you want to hear it, in Spanish, though and.... take it with many grains of salt, his way of expressing has a lot of bad words for my linking ....
Less than a month to go now, but with all honesty, six years are nothing to make a change in this country. And I truly believe that unless us mexicans also change, nothing will... I had an interesting talk with a friend about this yesterday and he was mentioning how some of people in Mexico are just looking for their own interests. You know, we are a very divided country, like for example after 19S, a lot of people were helping each other and so on, month later or so people from the Condesa neighbourhood were complaining about some people that were living in tents near by cause they didn't have anywhere else to go.. where did all the brotherhood go??? This is, for me, a perfect example for me as to why things are as they are in the Country...
Right! totally agree ... I think the brotherhood go to the trash when it affects the personal status quo

So yes, the president does have a great impact on the country, but unless we mexicans don't do something towards having a better life and a better country for all of us, big changes won't happen. OSIT.
Problem is that, it wont happend any time soon. Like all the trash in the streets, people lacks a lot of counsciouness, education, they do not mind at all, and is part of the system, is already too wrong from many angles.

Presidential Campaign in Mexico Gets Dirty
Anonymous phone calls are going out with messages warning that the leading candidate is a danger to the country. At the same time, political violence has claimed more than a hundred lives. Laura Carlsen reports from Mexico.
That too, friends had one of those phone calls ... worriorsome is that, those phone calls are aimed at people whom will for AMLO, and supposdely, INE should investigate and prosecute whomever is the culprit yesterday, but is not doing it.

edit

Thanks c.a for this information. Elections are almost here.. and for me it's clear AMLO will win, it was absolutely surreal the amount of people that assisted to his campaign closure in the Azteca Stadium, it was packed!

Funny how the Brazil vs Mexico match will take place one day after the elections no? Makes me wonder.. :rolleyes:

Thanks c.a for this information. Elections are almost here.. and for me it's clear AMLO will win, it was absolutely surreal the amount of people that assisted to his campaign closure in the Azteca Stadium, it was packed!

Funny how the Brazil vs Mexico match will take place one day after the elections no? Makes me wonder.. :rolleyes:
We have to wait and see what will happen. In all of Ibero-America, oligarchic state mafias can modify the results of elections.

Fraud tomorrow or no fraud?

We'll see how it goes.

As they said, they can make fraud but if people go out to vote massively, with the advantage that AMLO already has according to polls, they won't be able to change the outcome. They estimate fraud can change the result by 6% to 8%, but AMLO is above by some 20% or more.

If by any chance they declare someone else the winner, then things will get very ugly on the streets because it will be obvious that they cheated.

As they said, they can make fraud but if people go out to vote massively, with the advantage that AMLO already has according to polls, they won't be able to change the outcome. They estimate fraud can change the result by 6% to 8%, but AMLO is above by some 20% or more.

If by any chance they declare someone else the winner, then things will get very ugly on the streets because it will be obvious that they cheated.

That's the thing, from the almost 89 million people that are able to vote I was listening yesterday at a debate that maybe around 50 something will actually go to vote. Of course this was just what the journalists thought right, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt. But truly no one really knows what will happen in the end. In the State of Mexico lots of the people in charge of the voting stations (casillas) have been threatened, and that's one of the main things they are trying to do, ry to make people afraid that there will be chaos so people don't go to vote.. :/

And hopefully things don't get ugly.

Historic elections in Mexico, finally democracy has won here, OSIT , this is the first legitimate president. Anaya and Meade already accepted their loss and recognized Andrés Manuel's victory. There are still counting but the preliminary results gave a huge percentage to AMLO, 49% and the second place, Anaya 27%.

Andrés Manuel López Obrador wins Mexican presidential race

- The Washington Post

Also has 236 votes for congress in favour of MORENA (AMLO's party)

And now people are waiting for him in the main square of the city.

We will still have to wait and hope for the best with this huuge change that will take place in the country. As i've said before I don't think he is a saint, but we are all hoping for the best with him.

El Financiero Bloomberg Published on Jul 2, 2018
La crónica del triunfo de AMLO el 1 de julio del 2018

El Financiero Bloomberg Published on Jul 2, 2018
Alejo Cezrwonko, director de estrategia de mercados emergentes de UBS sobre triunfo de AMLO.

Coparmex will be an ally of AMLO in the fight against corruption
Published on Jul 2, 2018
Gustavo de Hoyos, presidente de la Coparmex, habla tras triunfo de AMLO.

Borderland Beat: Elections in Puebla turn violent: four bodies found, armed groups steal boxes and beat an official
Sunday, July 1, 2018
Translated by El Profe for Borderland Beat from Periodico Central

Back
Top Bottom