Self-Observation, Inner Talking & Work Instrument

Steve M.

Jedi Master
Thanks for the feedback Mrs. Peel, 1984, Lucas, Approaching Infinity,

I'm doing EE near daily. I do think I've set myself up in many of the situations that have come up. My wife and I are working on things at a more nose to the grind stone pace of late and things are taking a turn for the better in our relationship. Still got a ways to go, but we're getting along great over the last week or so without any friction. There is still friction but I'm discovering that it's mostly internal (self created), or based on expectations, many of which are not valid on my part.

1,000 thanks for the feedback! :)
 

Oxajil

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I don't hum that often. I noticed I did this quite some times during a recent meeting :-[ and am now doing it more often too.
Now I noticed that I love to hum, I guess I hope it doesn't look weird to others when I do it... I usually do it when it's quiet, and/or when I feel happy and relaxed.

From wiki:

Jordania suggested that for humans, as for many social animals, silence can be a sign of danger, and that's why gentle humming and musical sounds relax humans

from _http://www.makingmusicmag.com/vibes/05julyaug.html:

Cunningham writes that humming stimulates the inner ear, in particular the vestibular system and vagus nerve, which is connected to the lungs, heart, and stomach. She says that stimulating the vestibular system increases energy, improves clarity of mind, helps balance and coordination, promotes calmness, and strengthens the immune system. Best of all, humming can be done anywhere—in the shower, car, or while you walk—and as only a gentle hum is needed, you won’t disturb anyone!

I also feel more 'musical' after the conference.

Just some observations of the self.
 
Perceval said:
I think this sums up pretty well how it should work

When the negative emotions are evoked in the sleeping, dreaming emotional center, in response to reality, elements from the intellectual or moving centers are added to them according to our social, religious, and psychological programming. We then "fall into confluence." Men and women commonly fall into moral prostitution in its infinitely varied shading because their actions or thoughts corrupt the pure negative emotions, deny them, suppress them, or otherwise create fantasies about reality using that energy.

As in the case of positive emotional reactions, the energy of the negative emotions spreads over the whole of the motor center and penetrated the motor sectors of the intellectual center and a state of profound confluence is the result. That is to say, that the individual will shift into a dream or an action that is programmed into them. Driven by shock or passion, a man loses his inner peace and falls immediately into the program, and proceeds to express his negative emotions via the intellectual or moving centers, and the energy is thereby lost.

If, however, at the moment when the negative emotions arises in him, the subject remains calm and does not mechanically begin to run a program, something powerful and positive can occur. By persistent introspection, the individual can observe the rise of the negative emotions and can disconnect them from intellectual or moving center usurpation and, understanding the origin of the reaction, will shed light on the inner darkness. The individual is then in a position to perform an act of primary importance:the liberation of the energy of the negative emotion for positive use. To allow this energy to be kept in the emotional center itself, to concentrate there, while simultaneously acquiring the knowledge of the external reality that stimulated the emotional reaction, and preventing the energy from being dissipated by the moving center, is a "victory" over the negative emotion, a mastery of the self that immediately brings an inflow of joy to the lower emotional center. This occurs when the negative emotional energy, concentrated in this way, causes the lower emotional center to vibrate at the rapid rhythm that is normal to it, which then establishes instant contact with the higher emotional center which triggers the current of higher emotional energy into the lower. The inflow of higher joy in the current of energy from the higher emotional center can then act on the energy concentrated in the lower emotional center by induction, transmuting it into the higher energy of the soul, which is the essential process of fusing the magnetic center, or growing the 4th density body - the gradual transformation of the physical body to the immortal body. With practice, this contact can be prolonged with more rapid results.

And, of course, the more violent the negative emotion, the greater the quantity of the emotional center energy that is produce, the more difficult the process, and the greater the rewards.

As the neophyte proceeds up the staircase, he will find that he experiences fewer negative emotions. It is at this point that he will discover the obvious utility of those who are hostile to him in the extreme. As long as he is on the Staircase it is in insults, hate, jealousy, treachery and the contempt of other men that the seeker finds the elements which are necessary for him to awaken his emotional center and utilize the "shocks" and "blows" and "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" to power his ascent.

By dominating the mechanical reactions - the programs - that the reality "out there" may produce in him, by separating and rejecting the elements that are parasites on the fine energy of this system, the seeker is able to mobilize the fine energy produced by the negative emotions. This accelerates the growth and development of the magnetic center which then enables the transition to the higher density. It is for this reason that the seeker understands why he should "love his enemies and bless those who curse and persecute him."

The saying: "Knowledge Protects" is wholly applicable to the inner revolution that takes place within the seeker. For all of our lives we are slaves to the programs that are set in motion by our negative emotions. Our intellectual centers steal this energy and produce all kinds of rationalizations, suppressions, fantasies of power or illusions that we have "mastered" the emotion simply because we are able to suppress it, or tell ourselves egotistical things like: "I'm better than that because see! I can suppress my reactions. I can say nice things when I am really boiling mad. That is what makes me superior." With knowledge of the true nature of reality and the programs that run in us, we are enabled to completely halt any such usurpation, to allow the concentration of the emotions - whether negative or positive - which then set our entire being on a higher vibration.


Hi Perceval,

Could I please ask where this quote is from? It was really helpful to me and is written in a very clear manner.
 
I would also like to express my thanks for this insightful post percival. I've been having negative emotions build up while at work when overloaded with orders so I will begin to apply this asap!
 

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
domwatts23 said:
Hi Perceval,

Could I please ask where this quote is from? It was really helpful to me and is written in a very clear manner.

From an old QFS article, Depression as a Stepping Stone, reproduced here - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,2832.msg76821.html#msg76821 - although the exact quote is in the next post down under sub header Commentary
 

cubbex

The Living Force
I've been on my own lately, observing, seeing pretty much of my own inner life as not of my own, criticizing myself as if I was another external being created by circumstances and by life itself like others, of course, if we consider reincarnation it may be by my own choice. But I've noticed that self-observation is not at all enough if it hasn't the support of some external feedback, or "mirrors" as we call it.

Very interesting topic.
 

Altair

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Interesting tool for self-observation is so called Vipassana meditation. One takes the role of observer and just observe all the thought that emerging in mind but without identifying with them whether the thoughts are positive or not. In this way you can make all your unconscious thoughts to become conscious and then you can just release them. It's very useful for emotional cleansing. I'm practicing it along with EE.
Good introduction in Vipassana meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmxxbqJMxI
 

Altair

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I have another question. If some tune is mechanically played in the mind after hearing music, does it mean that the moving center does wrongly the work of the emotional center?

Thanks :)
 

obyvatel

The Living Force
Altair said:
I have another question. If some tune is mechanically played in the mind after hearing music, does it mean that the moving center does wrongly the work of the emotional center?

Thanks :)

The tune being mechanically replayed after hearing music would most likely involve the moving center. If the tune evokes a certain mood along with the sensation of the rhythmic vibration, then the emotional center would be likely involved - osit.
 

Buddy

The Living Force
Prometeo said:
I've been on my own lately, observing, seeing pretty much of my own inner life as not of my own, criticizing myself as if I was another external being created by circumstances and by life itself like others, of course, if we consider reincarnation it may be by my own choice. But I've noticed that self-observation is not at all enough if it hasn't the support of some external feedback, or "mirrors" as we call it.

The practice of self-remembering or self-observation is a wonderful and amazing behavior that can add rich depths to your experience of every moment and in at least three different dimensions over time!

Think about it. The practice starts with simple lessons in control and directing of attention. Attention, itself, is some kind of force...an energy, a mystery even. As a force, when you direct it inward, it can wake up a 'sensation' or kind of sensitive energy. In fact, all simple acts of human "sensing" are fundamental to the legacy of self-development work Gurdjieff transmitted.

If you carefully study chapter nine of ISOTM, you'll probably find that being present to the "organic sensation of life" in our own bodies allows for an accumulation of an energy without which self-observation is just a dream.

You can be aware of yourself being aware of yourself. Once you can sustain that, you can add an awareness of me, awareness of others and awareness of what you are doing together with us all or some other 'them'. Those three dimensions or directions in which you can employ attention simultaneously with practice are

1) inward
2) outward
3) all around

...sensing, feeling yourself in relation with others, seeing the meaning and purpose of what is present. Such an awesome ability! :)
 

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Buddy said:
Think about it. The practice starts with simple lessons in control and directing of attention. Attention, itself, is some kind of force...an energy, a mystery even. As a force, when you direct it inward, it can wake up a 'sensation' or kind of sensitive energy. In fact, all simple acts of human "sensing" are fundamental to the legacy of self-development work Gurdjieff transmitted.

If you carefully study chapter nine of ISOTM, you'll probably find that being present to the "organic sensation of life" in our own bodies allows for an accumulation of an energy without which self-observation is just a dream.

You can be aware of yourself being aware of yourself. Once you can sustain that, you can add an awareness of me, awareness of others and awareness of what you are doing together with us all or some other 'them'. Those three dimensions or directions in which you can employ attention simultaneously with practice are

1) inward
2) outward
3) all around

...sensing, feeling yourself in relation with others, seeing the meaning and purpose of what is present. Such an awesome ability! :)
At a certain point I can say that EE Breathing Program had been helping me into observing myself and sensing, I think I begun to learn to sense -after a post traumatic event, I did not want to sense anything, and since it is something that can't be stopped, what I realized is that you/I was able to deny/neglect it, but in reality I did not stop sensing, and meanings of such sensations I misunderstood them, also, it had helped to learn to observe, -it was/still sometimes -I think... similar to the sense issue.

Sometimes, I still, have remains of that "wrong" doing/focus/attention, because at EE breaks between three stage breathing, when I am with the purpose to relax and feel the sensations, I noticed I stop breathing, I freeze, within instants, I reamind myself that the purpose is to breath.

I am going to carefully study chapter nine of ISOTM, thanks Buddy, I have also the tendency to observe, others and the environment, now that I think of it, most probably had been doing too in a erroneous way, it would be good to study the whole book again. I think, I may be able to understand better.
 

Buddy

The Living Force
mabar said:
Sometimes, I still, have remains of that "wrong" doing/focus/attention, because at EE breaks between three stage breathing, when I am with the purpose to relax and feel the sensations, I noticed I stop breathing, I freeze, within instants, I reamind myself that the purpose is to breath.

Are you sure that when you are with a purpose to relax and feel sensations, that this 'freeze' is "wrong"? Is the freeze associated with fear, an unwanted, involuntary tightening of the diaphragm, rib-cage or other area, or does it feel more like a simple "pause" between an in and out breath?

I ask because there are situations when a pause is valuable because when it can be extended through practice, at times you can feel an increase in mental clarity and power that the body has available to make a movement. Cultivating and lengthening this pause between breaths is one of the secrets of the effectiveness of some martial arts systems like Krav Maga and Systema.

In fact, it might be a useful exercise for anyone to marshal their attention and notice if they can sense any differences in their being-state between an in and out breath at different stages of EE. In any case, it might help just to maintain focus.

Just a thought that may or may not be useful. If you are really sure that the 'freeze' is associated with the post traumatic event, then I accept that. :)
 

edgitarra

Jedi Council Member
Buddy said:
The practice of self-remembering or self-observation is a wonderful and amazing behavior that can add rich depths to your experience of every moment and in at least three different dimensions over time!

Think about it. The practice starts with simple lessons in control and directing of attention. Attention, itself, is some kind of force...an energy, a mystery even. As a force, when you direct it inward, it can wake up a 'sensation' or kind of sensitive energy. In fact, all simple acts of human "sensing" are fundamental to the legacy of self-development work Gurdjieff transmitted.

If you carefully study chapter nine of ISOTM, you'll probably find that being present to the "organic sensation of life" in our own bodies allows for an accumulation of an energy without which self-observation is just a dream.

You can be aware of yourself being aware of yourself. Once you can sustain that, you can add an awareness of me, awareness of others and awareness of what you are doing together with us all or some other 'them'. Those three dimensions or directions in which you can employ attention simultaneously with practice are

1) inward
2) outward
3) all around

...sensing, feeling yourself in relation with others, seeing the meaning and purpose of what is present. Such an awesome ability! :)

The way you wrote it is so true. I would describe it as a moment of solidness, fullness, like there is everything just inside oneself when oneself is observing. What was amazing for me is the fact that I realized that when I was small I had memories of a different life, maybe even more past lives. I have images of places that I have no idea where they came from(one example is a place where there is a beach and a house which was mostly painted in white, and a woman whose face I cannot remember. But she was there with me). When these images come back again to me and I am completely present I feel like this is not the only life I have lived. It is some sort of relief, like seeing a bigger plan than the ordinary daily boundaries of life. My solar plexus gets really warm in that moment and I just get amazed at that feeling. Everything is getting sharper around me, the noises, my vision is becoming full of clarity, my body is getting warmer and warmer. And the realization that it is not the only life I have lived(because when I am passive I just float on the mechanical wave of life and be just an apparatus that is responding to external influences without any resistance) is purely amazing! Like it would be just a different story with different lessons. As a conclusion, I want to be fair saying that what I experience cannot be explained completely with just words. This is why it is an experience.

Ed
 

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Buddy said:
Are you sure that when you are with a purpose to relax and feel sensations, that this 'freeze' is "wrong"?
Well, no. I suppose I assume is wrong because the action of inhaling and exhaling means to be alive, there is also the –inhaling life and exhaling whatever I do not want/need to be in my being from the Beatha; the whole cycle meaning life, that's how I understand it.
Buddy said:
Is the freeze associated with fear, an unwanted, involuntary tightening of the diaphragm, rib-cage or other area, or does it feel more like a simple "pause" between an in and out breath?
I can say that it feels more like a simple pause, because from what I had observed is not associated with fear, neither with feelings or tightening in any area, it just feel s normal, natural? … but, I assume or interpret as a remains from the traumatic event, or associated with not wanting to sense. Curiosly or in contradictory form, it feels until I change my mind/action- quite calm and good, for instants I can sense the silence. I can say, that the sensation, the how it feels to re-start again breathing, is the “wrong” part because I re-started not smoothly, I feel anxious because I “should not” feel OK not breathing.
For some reason, I tend to recall/remember this issue –of not breathing and is OK, with another couple of “similar” experiences I had in the past that were before the trauma.
Once was with a … state?, in which I was not breathing and was ok, until I realized that I was not breathing and how come is OK not to breath??? I posted it here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,17132.msg151089.html#msg151089
The other was a dream ---around the same year or couple of years of the event above, in which I was swimming in a big swimming pool, I remember feeling like fish in the water, the water pristine aqua blue with the sun lights coming through all around, and I did not need to breath, like being a mermaid? and was OK, until I realized that how come is OK not to breath? And I woke up.
Buddy said:
I ask because there are situations when a pause is valuable because when it can be extended through practice, at times you can feel an increase in mental clarity and power that the body has available to make a movement. Cultivating and lengthening this pause between breaths is one of the secrets of the effectiveness of some martial arts systems like Krav Maga and Systema.
That’s interesting to know, I do not know about the systems of Krav Maga and Systema, I had read Immovable Wisdom, The Art of Zen Strategy, The Teachings of Takuan Soho, it sounds by your description quite similar, and it became quite clear with Akira Kurasawa’s movie Seven Samurai.

Buddy said:
In fact, it might be a useful exercise for anyone to marshal their attention and notice if they can sense any differences in their being-state between an in and out breath at different stages of EE. In any case, it might help just to maintain focus.
It occures to me to think, that the/my problem is to rationalize the sensations, I should just observe them. Now that I think of it, I can say also, that I tend to rationalize the time/s. Isn't it an ilusion?
Thanks! :)



Dwell in the words of the sage.
Do not swallow them in one swig.
-Takuan-
 
Top Bottom