server Issues / Can't access SOTT

Seamas said:
Glad to see Sott back this morning, thanks Mr. Scott and m! :cool2:

Gandalf said:
Mr. Scott said:
m asked what the problem was...

FDC said:
IP theft of other client. We are dealing with them accordingly.

Never thought that someone could steal an IP.

I've never heard of an attack like that either. Y'all must be doing an exceptional job protecting the server from the normal attacks for someone to resort to something that sophisticated. I'm sure it will be interesting to learn how an attack like that can work and how to prevent it in the future. 20 bucks says it was a new "client"... :evil:

Yupp! Great job Scottie! :clap: :thup:

Keep the lighthouse going! :perfect:

Thank you! :cheer:

Glad to see SOTT back up and running. Thanks Mr. Scott for your perseverance and sleepless nights to get to the bottom of this attack!! :headbanger: Will we ever know "who" hijacked the IP address?

Gandalf said:
Hanbuj said:
I've just been testing the login, in order to comment on an article and I'm having some difficulty staying logged in.
When I login and click the article link (in this case the Roger Waters piece on the US position in Gaza) I'm shown as not logged in.
When I then click login, it shows me as already logged in until I click into the article and so on and so forth.

Is anyone else having any problems?

Work fine for me.

I had the same problem. Just refresh the page and it show you logged in.

Hats off to you, Mr. Scott! (And anyone else involved, of course ;) )
:perfect: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :perfect:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for bringing SOTT back :cheer: :flowers: :perfect:

Navigator said:
Agreed, Gaby what documentaries did you see?

Vladimir Putin Full Length Documentary: The Putin System

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Rkom1RpKA

Ukraine Crisis: Donbass. Chronicle of Genocide. Banned on TV / Донбасс. Хроника геноцида. [ENG SUB]

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ozdz7fMdXI&feature=youtu.be

The Ukrainian one was posted on SOTT not too long ago. It is very shocking.

Have you guys thought about mirroring SOTT.net on other providers?
I realize there are costs involved, I'd just like to know if this was ever thought about.

Great job, glad to see SotT back up. Interesting to realize I went through a form of withdrawal without it.

I do wonder how a server in a network could possibly grab an IP address already in use when only the network admin would have control over TCP/IP and DNS management. Even if a rogue server within a network tries to assign itself the IP address of another system in the network, the rogue server would not be considered authoritative, or so I thought. It's been a long time since I ran a hosting provider, so things may have changed considerably since then (but I would have assumed for the better). If a rogue server can redirect HTTP traffic, it could also redirect email, FTP and other traffic, one might worry. Any idea how they were able to actually claim SotT's IP, Scotty?

Thanks again for all your work.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Great job, glad to see SotT back up. Interesting to realize I went through a form of withdrawal without it.

I do wonder how a server in a network could possibly grab an IP address already in use when only the network admin would have control over TCP/IP and DNS management. Even if a rogue server within a network tries to assign itself the IP address of another system in the network, the rogue server would not be considered authoritative, or so I thought. It's been a long time since I ran a hosting provider, so things may have changed considerably since then (but I would have assumed for the better). If a rogue server can redirect HTTP traffic, it could also redirect email, FTP and other traffic, one might worry. Any idea how they were able to actually claim SotT's IP, Scotty?

Thanks again for all your work.

Gonzo

That's a good point - if it's the same ip as the mail server then it could have grabbed mail/passwords for sott.net accounts fwiw

AS, BGP, and masquerade, oh my?

For inquiring minds, search: "IP Address Hijack" (found one of many):
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_hijacking

Back
Top Bottom