Session 10 October 2015

I think it is also useful to relate The Work philosophically to a kind of non-materialistic existentialism. We have a learning process that keeps running as long as we live, and everything depends on what we do with it.

From the Wikipedia page on existentialism:
A central proposition of Existentialism is that existence precedes essence, which means that the most important consideration for individuals is that they are individuals—independently acting and responsible, conscious beings ("existence")—rather than what labels, roles, stereotypes, definitions, or other preconceived categories the individuals fit ("essence"). The actual life of the individuals is what constitutes what could be called their "true essence" instead of there being an arbitrarily attributed essence others use to define them. Thus, human beings, through their own consciousness, create their own values and determine a meaning to their life.
In this sense, moment by moment, we incrementally 'create' our 'essence', in terms of who and what we are. In doing so, we also incrementally, moment by moment, 'define' where we 'belong' - which lessons we take on, and how, and in turn which reality we end up in.

This 'burden of responsibility' is part and parcel of existence itself. Each being has the choice of whether to acknowledge that responsibility and strive to be response-able in relation to reality, or alternatively, to strive to deny this fundamental responsibility, and in turn, ultimately nullify its own existence - its Being - in the 'end'.

Recently, I thought of a very simple way to express my understanding of Work ideals and The Work in itself.

STO is inseparable from objectivity, and STS is inseparable from subjectivity. The growth of objective consciousness, and the growth of integrity, are completely inseparable; integrity means honoring reality. And attachment to subjectivity is the opposite of integrity.

Then, The Work can be described very simply. Consciously engage the learning process, with your ideals as your ultimate Aim; though if you truly grow in understanding as you proceed, this of course includes your understanding of the ideals. If the ideals align with Being, and you have the inner strength to persist (including the ability to build discernment), you then keep moving towards Being.

I think that conscious evolution is basically a matter of the 'survival of the most dedicated'. So then, we either persist in sincerity until we succeed, or we fail to truly engage the process.

The C's, in an early session, referred to us as 'energy constructs'. So then, we ultimately turn out to be either 'successful' or 'failed' energy constructs; this being decided by nature and its laws, if you think of nature as spanning all density levels.

Prometeo said:
...I notice people just go talking about <<the work>> just like talking about the holy spirit, they all talk about it, they all apparently do it and know it, but then when you ask them what is it, everyones says different things,

Fair enough!

Here's what the C's have said about it, fairly recently in fact. (from July 18, 2015 Session.)

A: We have been noting the questions on your forum and would like to make
some small comments.

Q: (Galatea) Okay.

A: Questions about "The Great Work" and "work on the self" and the preparations
for "graduation" and so forth. Most of the clues and even direct answers have
been given in the past, however we will summarize and give examples.
All such aims concentrate, in essence, on or in awareness!
Awareness is knowledge in action.

From my own personal perspective, I find the above description not clear enough. But they did say it was a summary only. That other clues and direct answers were given in the past.

I then went over the past transcripts and drew my own conclusions. My best guess is this:

The final aim of work -- is to nullify all karmic debts, together with attaining true comprehension of those simple understandings they once referred to. It's no more and no less than that.

Many may disagree. But that's my best assessment. I could be quite wrong.

FWIW.

@sitting,

i feel you are quite right! And it would be one of those useless paths to follow, to imagine anything more than 'just that', as if 'that' wasn't enough?

The more i simplify, the more i get it!

Prometeo said:
At least I can be thankful for the knowledge references shared in the forum, but I think I'm becoming less and less collinear here. Isn't that ironic?

I suppose it might seem ironic if there was an a priori expectation of co-linearity, but I read somewhere a long time ago that it is quite possible and, in terms of respecting freewill, quite acceptable for a person to come to a realization that what goes on here is not for them. So, speaking for myself, my expectations are on a more general level and usually not tied to a specific person. Like Pierre said, we can agree to disagree and still be helpful to people on the forum and to people IRL.

You probably know that Gurdjieff's Work is the cornerstone of the forum as well as one way that it functions. Another way to view the Cassiopaean Experiment is as an expansion of that and, in my opinion, an expansion accompanied, in part, by a hope to achieve his unrealized goals. But, this is just one way to tell the story. The part you write for yourself in this story by your participation can determine if your character becomes essential to the story, just a "prop", or somewhere in between. Same with me. That seems left up to us as long as we meet the minimum guidelines.

Prometeo said:
I agree on many things they say, I just don't agree with the ways here. It is of my belief this forum is not really there to help everyone, at least not everyone in general (and yes you can read this from many threads in many ocassions) but a particular set of individuals with a particular set of mind.

You say that like you think it's a bad thing, but has that fact ever been hidden? Laura started the forum, owns it and her Will guides it toward growth. Those closest to her and her best supporters and helpers are co-linear or at least aligned closely enough to establish a coherence that is necessary for survival and growth. And "same mind set" doesn't even have to be intended. It can develop naturally via feedback loops while exploring and learning about objective reality, which is the same for everyone. A physical analogy of this is your own body-mind complex and coherence within that complex is needed for you to live and grow, isn't it? Coherence might be perceived as "same mind set" from a third-party point of view but isn't one of the goals of "the Work" to attain a similar coherence among "the little I's" within a single individual?

Besides all that, it's been said over and over, on here and by Gurdjieff to his own group members, that in order for a person to begin any Work on self-development aligned to the Aim of work, (s)he must come with a minimum amount of psychological stability. My thoughts on the reasons for that is because, otherwise, the teacher-leader's entire time would be consumed on one person in an intensive psychotherapy sort of thing. Furthermore, the needs of a seriously dysfunctional person may require professional services that the legal establishment has deemed only possible by someone with a medical license.

Changing gears here for a minute, I want to thank you for these longer recent posts of yours. It allows a more accurate and appropriate view of you as an intelligent person than what is available from a one or two line "sound bite." Just my thoughts, though, FWIW.

Also, I'm hoping this interaction, rather than being off-topic, might qualify somehow as examples of "presentation and representation." :)

Heimdallr said:
JEEP said:
Have to wonder if tattoos represent more than just a personal preference of appearance or actually reflect an alignment of self-interest identity?

My take on tattoos has been that they are not for me, but I don't begrudge anyone else's choice to put a few small, artistic tattoos on themselves. Now, in the case of people who go a little overboard and cover their whole body or put designs or symbols that I wouldn't find attractive or even want to associate with, that is something else. The C's mentioned self-presentation and self-representation. Putting skeletons, skulls, or other images associated with death, or even Satanism, on your body is sending a signal to other people and the universe where you are aligned. That is how you present yourself to the world, that these images are things that interest you and that you want to see every day. As far as self-representation goes, one could say that nasty images tattooed on the body represent one person's identification with death, pain, or just altogether unsavory ideas and people. To put that out there in the world means that one may find that others who do not associate with such ideas/images would be turned off by someone who does and find that being around them, no matter how otherwise nice and pleasant they are (and I've met a number of people like this whose personality did not match the impression their body art gave), is not something they wish to do.

So, I'm not sure I can answer your question since I think it's a little more complicated than being an either-or choice. Tattoos can reflect one's identity with a number of ideas, but they can also be benign. It depends on the person, the attitude they have, the images they choose to put on their body that are an expression of their inner state, and their identification with those images as part of their self.

I've 3 tattoos that I don't show (all tribal/celtic design which I drew myself) I did them when I was very younger and for me it was more like an "initiation" thing : you pass this so get that (don't know if it's clear enough, I don't know how to put it on). Now with the age, I won't have any other one anymore. I don't regret them, there are parts of my story. Very few people know I've them. Oh, I missed the fourth one, and the first in fact, but not very a choice of myself : ironically enough it's the more visible, in the forearm. I was drunk and it was my boyfriend of the time that did it to me with china ink and safety pin. Hopefully it's stylistic enough (and little) that the only mentions others have made are : "are you Buddhist ?". But even this one, I've never considered to erased it. I keep them for a memory of my past. Just my testimony.

sitting said:
Prometeo said:
...I notice people just go talking about <<the work>> just like talking about the holy spirit, they all talk about it, they all apparently do it and know it, but then when you ask them what is it, everyones says different things,

Fair enough!

Here's what the C's have said about it, fairly recently in fact. (from July 18, 2015 Session.)

some small comments.

From my own personal perspective, I find the above description not clear enough. But they did say it was a summary only. That other clues and direct answers were given in the past.

I then went over the past transcripts and drew my own conclusions. My best guess is this:

The final aim of work -- is to nullify all karmic debts, together with attaining true comprehension of those simple understandings they once referred to. It's no more and no less than that.

FWIW.

Ironically I have just completed a book that describes the Work in very easy to understand terms yet misses nothing. It also incorporates exceedingly well the description the C's have given above, and in much much more detail. I certainly recommend it as a secondary backup and resource, especially for people for whom English is not their primary language, as it is simply written but in detail.

It also definitely uses so many of Gurdjieff's important observations too, in the right context, though does not actually credit him sadly.

The book is:
The Seeing Eye, The Feeling Heart - The philosophy of natural mediumship
Will Ford, MSNU, with Linda Muir FSNU

Cheapest here: http://www.snui.org/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=100 £7.95

Now bear in mind that we are all mediums. However Ford has written this book mainly in the context that 'mediumship' means higher consciousness. It happens to be a classic of Spiritualist philosophy, however, skipping the few references to their aim, the rest pertains to us all. All that is important to 'The Work' is covered here so it is a good foundation to understanding.

• Quote from: Prometeo on Yesterday at 08:07:41 AM

I agree on many things they say, I just don't agree with the ways here. It is of my belief this forum is not really there to help everyone, at least not everyone in general (and yes you can read this from many threads in many ocassions) but a particular set of individuals with a particular set of mind.

FWIW in my subjective opinion I actually EXPECT there to be a particular set of mind, a particular set of individuals pursuing that particular 'set of mind' because the ultimate goal in is understanding!!! To reach that universal understanding, that universal truth, that is very well explained in Gnosis on the different circles of man/understanding ie esoteric mesoteric and exoteric. Plus also in Gurdjieff Man No4/5/6 etc will never really happen if man is not consciously aligned on all topics, universal laws, Being etc.

Buddy:
Besides all that, it's been said over and over, on here and by Gurdjieff to his own group members, that in order for a person to begin any Work on self-development aligned to the Aim of work, (s)he must come with a minimum amount of psychological stability. My thoughts on the reasons for that is because, otherwise, the teacher-leader's entire time would be consumed on one person in an intensive psychotherapy sort of thing. Furthermore, the needs of a seriously dysfunctional person may require professional services that the legal establishment has deemed only possible by someone with a medical license.

I also wish to further elaborate agreeing with Buddy above, that the Forum CANNOT help people who has serious psychological disturbances, or suicidal thoughts etc. In fact it would be unprofessional and STS NOT to, immediately on recognition of such, to recommend they seek professional advice (for their own good). Most likely they are on the brink of a major break down or worse. So medical and local support is what they need above all else. Failing this what chance to they have to learn anyway. Without clearing this dis-order it is a total waste of both teacher and pupil's time and energy.

I have never noted ANY OTHER INSTANCE whereby the forum has not helped anyone. Unless of course it is the individual that is so blinded, bloody-minded, or so egocentric that anything said just falls on deaf ears. There is noone at home! So again a total waste of time (and energy), for both parties until that person either realizes their denial/cognitive dissonance and starts to understand and assimilate/integrate the advice OR realize they are in the :wrongbar:

Heimdallr said:
JEEP said:
Have to wonder if tattoos represent more than just a personal preference of appearance or actually reflect an alignment of self-interest identity?

My take on tattoos has been that they are not for me, but I don't begrudge anyone else's choice to put a few small, artistic tattoos on themselves. Now, in the case of people who go a little overboard and cover their whole body or put designs or symbols that I wouldn't find attractive or even want to associate with, that is something else. The C's mentioned self-presentation and self-representation. Putting skeletons, skulls, or other images associated with death, or even Satanism, on your body is sending a signal to other people and the universe where you are aligned. That is how you present yourself to the world, that these images are things that interest you and that you want to see every day. As far as self-representation goes, one could say that nasty images tattooed on the body represent one person's identification with death, pain, or just altogether unsavory ideas and people. To put that out there in the world means that one may find that others who do not associate with such ideas/images would be turned off by someone who does and find that being around them, no matter how otherwise nice and pleasant they are (and I've met a number of people like this whose personality did not match the impression their body art gave), is not something they wish to do.

So, I'm not sure I can answer your question since I think it's a little more complicated than being an either-or choice. Tattoos can reflect one's identity with a number of ideas, but they can also be benign. It depends on the person, the attitude they have, the images they choose to put on their body that are an expression of their inner state, and their identification with those images as part of their self.

Thanks Hemdallr for your thoughts. I have made 3 attempts to respond, but am encountering some kind of glitch indicating what I've written is about to post w/o me hitting post. As you're probably aware, my post must meet moderator approval before being cleared and subsequently, the notification of such will suddenly appear despite my not actively attempting to post. In order to prevent premature posting, I hit the back one page arrow (last time I also hit shift+alt+p to hopefully save draft) and then go forward only to find what I was composing is gone.

It's possible the problem has corrected itself, but after 3 attempts to compose a response, I've lost my desire to try again. I do thank you for your input.

Laura said:
(L) If you want to be part of a completely different world... In a sense, it's kinda like some of these people that belong to these organizations that like medieval stuff. So, they all get dressed up, and they have meetings, they have mock battles or whatever.

(Perceval) If there's enough bleedthrough, those people are gonna find themselves living 400 years ago! [laughter]

(L) And then dress: the whole Gothic thing, painting their nails black, and that identifies them with that “Goth” reality, so that's the timeline that they'll go into...

(Galatea) So basically, be the change that you want to see.

(L) Yeah. Be the change you want to see. I guess begin to model yourself on the people that you want to be LIKE or be WITH.

Just found this recent research interestingly related to what was said above:

Caution! People with tattoos tend to be angrier – new study

Staying away from tattooed people might be a good idea – there are high chances that they could be angry. According to a new study, inking one’s skin is actually linked to rage. Women have “significantly higher” anger problems than men in this respect, it appears.
The research, published in the Body Image Journal, discovered that people with tattoos have significantly higher levels of verbal aggression compared to non-tattooed participants. Those with body art also showed a higher range of anger and reactive rebelliousness.

The research, led by Professor Viren Swami of Anglia Ruskin University, on 181 women and 197 men between 20 and 58 years old, also revealed that women has “significantly higher” anger management problems than men.

“We found that tattooed adults had significantly higher reactive rebelliousness, but not proactive rebelliousness, compared with non-tattooed adults,” Swami said.

Out of those surveyed 25.7 percent had at least one tattoo. Out of over 350 people observed, subjects had on average 2.5 tattoos per person. Scientists found a correlation between the number of tattoos a person had and their levels of anger.

“One explanation is that people who have higher reactive rebelliousness may respond to disappointing and frustrating events by getting tattooed,” Swami said.

To rate an individual's rebelliousness, the subjects were asked questions regarding how they would react to certain life scenarios. One such question, which measured “proactive rebelliousness,” asked:

"If you are asked particularly not to do something, do you feel an urge to do it?"

The results showed no real discrepancies in levels of “proactive rebelliousness” but when questioned about possibly being scolded by an authority figure, tattoo folks showed “reactive rebelliousness” claiming that they would “get angry and argue back.”

Scientists believe that getting tattoo is an act of defiance and emotional rebellion against individual's negative emotional event experience.

“On the other hand, there were no significant differences between tattooed and non-tattooed adults in proactive rebelliousness.

It is possible that this form of rebelliousness, which is hedonistic and goal-driven, is at odds with the pain and permanence of tattoos,” Swami noted.

One thing that occurs to me about tattoos is this: if the act is reflective of anger, frustration, hurt, or even just wanting to be part of a "tattooing crowd", the tattoo sort of anchors that energy to the body in a permanent way. You can't fully release the anger, frustration, or hurt without making the tattoo go away also. And you can't move from the "tattooing crowd" to a different social group so easily without also removing the tattoos.

It seems to me that the newly developed tatoo removing cream is the best way to do this because it apparently takes a little time, and during that time, one could focus on the specific issues connected to the individual tattoo.

I was also reading a book the other day that mentions the problem of systemic poisoning from tattoos - we do not really know the effects of putting a bunch of foreign stuff under our skin over the long term. What are the constituents of the inks? How safe are they?

Another thing that occurs to me is that it might be that a person gets tattoos under the influence of spirit attachments and the tattoos might then act as "connections" with that attachment and getting rid of one might also get rid of the other.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/arabellesicardi/tattoo-removal-cream-is-now-a-thing-and-its-gonna-be-cheap#.xl6oxRLjV

http://www.gizmag.com/new-tattoo-removal-cream-results-in-gain-with-no-pain/36107/

This one is apparently available now: _http://www.tatbgone.com/index.html

It's apparently available on amazon where it has bad reviews. So, dunno.

Great session, a great lesson and reminder to make good choices daily. Filled with resources we can use today and moving forward. Thank you again for the great work you do, much love to all involved!

sitting said:
Prometeo said:

Fair enough!

some small comments.

FWIW.

Thanks sitting for the quote, which is quite important I think.

Personally, I think that while Gudjieff's/Mouravieff's writings are extremely helpful, sometimes they can also lead to thinking too much in "grand terms" and "philosophizing". Sometimes I think it's important to use different, more direct angles on self-work, which include self-help books and plain old common sense for example, and that's why I liked Perceval's response :) "Just" trying hard everyday to become a better human being already goes a long way I think.

I think fundamentally, the Work is about learning how to "interact with the Cosmos" in a meaningful way, which of course means we have to understand the Cosmos, i.e. know the truth about ourselves and the world, because otherwise we don't interact with the Cosmos but only with our own illusions. The problem is that everything comes to us through the filter of our programs, habits, coping mechanisms etc. So the first step is to improve this filter so that it lets us see more truth. That already gives us more knowledge, but can only go so far - in order to become more "aware", we need to apply this knowledge, which then leads to a positive feedback-loop where applying knowledge furthers our knowledge and vice-versa. Eventually, we will be able to see the "faces of God" and react accordingly in each different situation, instead of just repeating the same patterns forever... (Now I've been using "grand terms" again, it's just not easy to express these things in a nuts and bolts way. I think one reason might be that it's impossible to understand these concepts without applying/experiencing them.)

Laura said:
One thing that occurs to me about tattoos is this: if the act is reflective of anger, frustration, hurt, or even just wanting to be part of a "tattooing crowd", the tattoo sort of anchors that energy to the body in a permanent way. You can't fully release the anger, frustration, or hurt without making the tattoo go away also. And you can't move from the "tattooing crowd" to a different social group so easily without also removing the tattoos.

It seems to me that the newly developed tattoo removing cream is the best way to do this because it apparently takes a little time, and during that time, one could focus on the specific issues connected to the individual tattoo.

That's an interesting thought. I've known people who have tattoos that talk about getting tattoos as a means of providing some sort of relief, even if getting it is painful. Perhaps the pain along with symbols being imposed on the body open people up in some ways and close them off in other ways. It sounds like if someone is doing it for the kinds of reasons mentioned that it could be a physical buffer of sorts.

Laura said:
I was also reading a book the other day that mentions the problem of systemic poisoning from tattoos - we do not really know the effects of putting a bunch of foreign stuff under our skin over the long term. What are the constituents of the inks? How safe are they?

My cousin got a tattoo with red ink last year and got a really nasty rash that looked like an open wound. Apparently red inks can contain mercury and other colors can be derived from heavy metals as well. So, along with the skin cream, any who are going through the removal process would probably also want to do a heavy metal detox.

Sometimes, I notice words change meaning during a generation or two. Growing up in the late 50's - early 60's, the word "tattoo" was equated with "Battle Scars" and trauma suffered in WW2. Many Veterans came home with "tattoo's' - surgical wounds with blotchy, discolored skin, near healed scars. The Veteran's in the Community would get together at a large function in the Summer, held at a local Hunting Lodge and reminisce their experiences and talk about "how they got their tattoo's."

The gathering for the Veteran's was kind of community oriented, where the Wife's, Mother's and a local organization got together to plan the weekend event, by preparing the meals that were made and served in the outside Pavilion. BBQ chicken, smoked venison and roast beef were the main features, along with a couple of (tapped) wooden barrels (of the homemade stuff) donated for the event.

The woman mainly stayed in the kitchen areas, when not tending to the banquet tables. Conversations mainly focused "on the ailments" their Son's and Husband's came come with - that were associated with their tattoo's. Many remarked, they weren't "the same - man" that left Home for the Service.

The word "tattoo" came up in another incidence, when I was younger. It was at a an Easter gathering, where two Families came in from out-of-town and stayed the weekend at the Family farm. One of my teenage cousins carved his initials and that of his (then) girlfriend with a big heart around it, in one of the mature Maple trees near the house. After everyone left to go back home, my Grandmother instructed me to gather some loose bark from the tree. We sat in the kitchen with a cast iron pan between us, breaking up the bark in small pieces. She added enough water to cover the bark and placed the pan on the wood stove. Then instructed me to go to the pantry and get the Pine Sap (coffee can). We collected Pine sap, usually in August, as a kind-of-glue. She scraped some of that out and put it in the pan - then added some honey. When it came to a boil, she transferred the pan to the iron rack. When it cooled, she handed me a cake knife and told me to cover the "tattoo" on the tree, the same way, I ice a cake. She felt, the tattoo disrupted the life of the tree. The stuff in the pan would heal it. Years later, I searched for the heart and can only see a faint imprint (probably because I didn't pack it enough) but no initials.

So, in my experience, a tattoo is a disrupted force - to life.

Sheshh, even if I will be happy in another place does not mean to absolute stop the interaction here. As if happyness is defined by your preferred forum. I've been thinking on what perceaval said, I think he's right, I demanded precise answers which I did not get because I didn't frame precise questions.

Well this escalated quickly. Fair enough, I will do as some suggest. At least I got some good seeds, maybe I can't take the benefit today, but is not like it's done in one day.

Psalehesost said:
Recently, I thought of a very simple way to express my understanding of Work ideals and The Work in itself.

STO is inseparable from objectivity, and STS is inseparable from subjectivity. The growth of objective consciousness, and the growth of integrity, are completely inseparable; integrity means honoring reality. And attachment to subjectivity is the opposite of integrity.

Then, The Work can be described very simply. Consciously engage the learning process, with your ideals as your ultimate Aim; though if you truly grow in understanding as you proceed, this of course includes your understanding of the ideals. If the ideals align with Being, and you have the inner strength to persist (including the ability to build discernment), you then keep moving towards Being.

I think that conscious evolution is basically a matter of the 'survival of the most dedicated'. So then, we either persist in sincerity until we succeed, or we fail to truly engage the process.

The C's, in an early session, referred to us as 'energy constructs'. So then, we ultimately turn out to be either 'successful' or 'failed' energy constructs; this being decided by nature and its laws, if you think of nature as spanning all density levels.

I really like this. One day I read one thing about mavericks in this world, and even if it sounds scary it also sounds like a fun challenge.

Perceval said:
I suggest you try and get over yourself, stop being so narcissistic, stop demanding that others give you simplistic answers to complex questions, stop projecting your own nonsense on others, stop making assumptions, stop thinking you know what you are talking about when you obviously don't, and stop thinking in black and white terms. Do all, or just some of that, and you'll have a better understanding of what the "Work" is.

Yeah maybe I don't know, and maybe neither you and this entire forum don't. Yeah, we all can memorize things but how sure are we to grasp the true meaning of these concepts? and still, are these concepts even needed? maybe for this religious group it provides a sense of having a mission and meaning. But these definitions just given can laso be named with something else than "the work".

Back
Top Bottom