Session 20 September 2014

Truth Warrior said:
If time is indeed running short, as they say, might we all benefit from asking more specifics about upcoming events and preparing spiritually? I know there are articles and posts on SOTT that deal with these topics, but since we have access to this communication, wouldn't it be better used for bigger questions and concerns rather than, say, someone's rash?? :cry:

Truth Warrior said:
Whether you think a meditation group is useful or not, the gist of my post was that the resource of the C's could be used much better than it is now. I based this on the final comment made by the C's themselves.

I agree with you that certain (personal) questions that can be answered by oneself or the network, would be questions that wouldn't need to be asked. This is nothing new. The C's have mentioned this many times, so have Laura, and others. And as Chu wrote, if they are asked, then either Laura redirects or the C's do. And as always, there are exceptions.

Also, would you honestly ask your 'group meditation to stop comets/Ebola' question to the C's, or would you think that would be a waste of time considering the information shared above, and rather would want to network about it first?

Truth Warrior said:
What can be done, if anything, to help the people who are suffering now?

Spread information around. Write an article, start a blog, or translate important material in another language, share on social media etc. These are all things you could do. But it does entail some hard work and dedication. And as you said, time is running short.

The rest of your questions can also be answered by yourself if you would have honestly taken the effort to catch up with the latest transcripts and the discussions that followed it, and by looking up related info in the Wave etc. However, considering that for some people it might be difficult to catch up with everything due to their daily responsibilities in life, it is totally fine to ask about something you're not sure about, the network is here to help, and much help has been given to you to help you answer your questions. But there's a difference between asking something to the network, in an honest attempt to learn more, or to be the teacher with a full cup, trying to teach others how it should be done, i.e. "Aren't these questions of mine much more important to ask?" Perhaps they are, but from the material already published, we can see that with a bit of an effort (either from the self, or from the network) those can be answered. Would you not agree?

Truth Warrior
Sending "love and light," or whatever you wish to call it, to those who might desire a little help is NOT an STS activity. If a group meditation somehow gives a little extra peace to someone who just watched their entire family die of Ebola, then I'm all for it. (If you don't believe this works, then the STS question is moot, anyway.)

It is not possible to "give" anyone peace.

A sense of peace and relief of feelings of suffering can only be achieved internally--through doing ones own work. Without outside stressors there is often no exigency for change--even for the better.

Oxajil said:
Truth Warrior said:
What can be done, if anything, to help the people who are suffering now?

Spread information around. Write an article, start a blog, or translate important material in another language, share on social media etc. These are all things you could do. But it does entail some hard work and dedication. And as you said, time is running short.

I agree, and if love = light = knowledge, there's quite a lot think about there, esp. in the context of free will.

If we consider that these activities may also have a non-linear effect, may 'pack a potent punch' in ways that we do not understand, what would be difference then between this and the idea of 'group mediation', of sending thoughts/knowledge/love out into the universe? Aside from the question of free will that is. Is blogging and social networking with an AIM not also the conscious direction of thought and emotion?

If all thoughts instantly touch all corners of the universe, perhaps there is more to consider in terms of sharing knowledge/love/light via social networking and how that might benefit others.

Truth Warrior said:
What can be done, if anything, to help the people who are suffering now? How can we STOP Ebola? Are there "safe areas" from which to work? Are there suggestions for things we all can do to prevent mandatory vaccination programs? Might group meditations help to keep comets from hitting the planet? Or is that even a good idea? Might a group meditation actually put a stop to the Ebola virus if enough of us are focused on it?

Others have already addressed this, but I thought I'd do it from a very simple angle. Things happen for a reason - all being lessons - and one could say that the Universe works according to the principle that "you asked for it, you got it" - though people are generally not aware of what they are asking for, because of not being in touch with objective reality.

So, people worldwide have let pathological leaders take humanity (and the way it interacts with the world) straight down the drain. The cosmos responds - with viruses, comets, etc. - like an immune system kicking in. A harsh lesson, but one collectively asked for.

Trying to "stop Ebola", or stop other disasters that can now be seen coming, then both amounts to: 1. Trying to rob humanity of the lesson it has asked for. 2. Trying to bend the Universe (and the way it interacts with humanity) to your will; rejecting the "logos" governing how the Universe responds, and putting yourself above it. All of which is quite self-serving.

The alternative is to spread information - allowing those who seek it and choose to value it to respond actively to it, and by their response, perhaps learn the upcoming lessons in a different, less harsh way.

Yes, Psalehesost, I think that's a very good way of putting it. There's a big difference between spreading information in ways where people have a choice to reject it and trying to impose one's idea of how things should be (with very limited knowledge and not considering deeper dynamics). To me, the idea of group or individual meditation and the like without a clear asking (the recipients in this example aren't even aware what's being done) is asking for trouble.

I am brand new to this forum and have to admit that I am quite a bit disappointed in the friendliness/helpfulness of the members here. I asked a question, but the answer was to "read the wave". That's 8 volumes of material!!!!! I consider that to be presumptuous, condescending and rude. I have stayed with this forum to try to understand it, but I have seen that this is the way that most people with questions are treated.

I have to sympathize with Truth Warrior because he made very pertinent comments and while his questions are eventually being answered, the administrators first reaction was to shoot him down instead of treating him kindly. Makes me think this forum is not open to individuals who are trying to learn which would seem contrary to their "knowledge is love" theory. Does that mean that those who have knowledge are superior to those who are looking for it? Seems like they are saying "Because we have the knowledge, we are STS and you who do not have it are the evil STO's"

Any question that asks for clarification seems to be immediately told to "read up" or "if you haven't read up, then you are an ignorant fool". At least that's the way I am interpreting it. The administrators tell us that kindness is knowledge, so then why do they demean those who are looking for it? I'm sorry, but I lead a busy active life, I cannot sit and read volumes of information or years worth of transcripts.

The sessions transcripts are full of learning curves being made by those attending. Isn't the act of teaching to weed out that information and provide the information in a more simplified/shortened method? I did not come here to sit through the "class sessions". I came here for a summary of the information by those who learned through them.

Most blogs I read have individuals who comb through volumes of information and then condense it down into smaller portions making it easier for their readers to understand their points. This forum seems to do the opposite. I feel as if they are trying to do a form of brainwashing. It feels more like the Borg from Star Trek saying "Read our information so that you may be assimilated."

I'm not trying to be a troll, just letting you know what it's like for someone new to this forum, but take it as you will.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's my interpretation. By the way, Truth Warrior I'd love to see a link for the forums that you mentioned. I am quite curious if those forums have people who see it the way I do.

I would like thank those who did provide specifics to Truth Warriors questions, but we could have all saved a lot of time if that was the first response. That's the way I would have wanted my original question answered.

mooseheart said:
The sessions transcripts are full of learning curves being made by those attending. Isn't the act of teaching to weed out that information and provide the information in a more simplified/shortened method? I did not come here to sit through the "class sessions". I came here for a summary of the information by those who learned through them.

mooseheart,

I know perfectly well where you are coming from. We all lead busy lives and catching up with the huge amount of material can seem to be very daunting.

BUT - alas, there is no shortcut in this respect. The Universe gives back what you put into it - that's why it is called "The Work".

I have had endless discussions with my best mate about this. He always wants a "nuts and bolts" condensation of what I have been thinking and reading (kind of a "Explanation about Life for Dummies"). While I enjoy such discussions up to some point, because it forces me to recapitulate what I have learned for myself, I have realized, that essentially it is a waste of time to try to explain in "simple terms" complex issues.

Acquiring knowledge is much more than just reading books or websites. It's the first step, which needs to be followed by cross-reference and integration into what has been learned previously. Often different aspects become clear only after you have studied other things. And that is something only YOU can do for yourself. As the Cs are wont to say "There is no free lunch in this Universe".

Having said all that, the forum guidelines state the goal of this forum as "to be engaged in the Work on oneself" and this involves discussion of topics on a background of facts, which need to first be acquired, if the discussion shall be meaningfull, and not merely based on opinion. You might not agree with that, or might not be interested, and that's ok. You might be on a different path - and there are forums aplenty catering to all tastes and vocations.

In the end it all comes down to a personal choice: Where do I want to invest my energy in - career, family, making money, politics, art, the Work - and that is a personal choice, without any judgement applied. We just have chosen this particular way, and others may join if they want to - or NOT.

mooseheart said:
Any question that asks for clarification seems to be immediately told to "read up" or "if you haven't read up, then you are an ignorant fool". At least that's the way I am interpreting it. The administrators tell us that kindness is knowledge, so then why do they demean those who are looking for it? I'm sorry, but I lead a busy active life, I cannot sit and read volumes of information or years worth of transcripts.

Hello mooseheart,

I am sorry that you feel this way because I don't think anyone is willingly condescending.

Thus said, the material is indeed huge but no one ask you to read it in one go. Take your time & don't worry if you don't understand it directly.
Asking questions is never wrong but it is sometimes difficult to give a quick answer without starting to explain a lot of different concepts and making it more confusing.
It does require a bit of effort on your part though, to at least try to have a basic understanding of the information on the forum or the books if you wish to participate more fruitfully.

Perhaps reading some entries at your own pace in the Cassiopaea glossary would help ?

Nicklebleu said:
Having said all that, the forum guidelines state the goal of this forum as "to be engaged in the Work on oneself" and this involves discussion of topics on a background of facts, which need to first be acquired, if the discussion shall be meaningfull, and not merely based on opinion.

I agree with Nicklebleu, Mooseheart.
How are we supposed to communicate if we don't speak the same language? The concepts, the jargon and the experiences explained in The Wave series are fundamental to follow the discussions on the forum. You wouldn't discuss on a Star Wars forum without having seen Star Wars, would you? ;)
There's no way around it.
Even if there was a way around it, it would be a shame because these books make for very entertaining reading, actually.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
I agree with Nicklebleu, Mooseheart.
How are we supposed to communicate if we don't speak the same language? The concepts, the jargon and the experiences explained in The Wave series are fundamental to follow the discussions on the forum. You wouldn't discuss on a Star Wars forum without having seen Star Wars, would you? ;)

The purpose of the forum is a pretty specific one and not one that is the usually found on the web. The forum guidelines were written to help newcomers understand the vision of the work being done here and outline the basis on which the forum operates. The Cassiopaea forum is for research based on the Cassiopaean Experiment, of which The Wave is a fundamental piece. While The Wave is made up of eight books, it can be looked at in part as a starting point and a review of the many of the topics explored here. It may feel discouraging at first because the knowledge base is so vast, however as Mrs. T said the material is also quite enjoyable.

It's also not unusual for both new and old members to be directed to a particular work or piece of research. I would say it's the norm. This process of networking, reading, getting feedback, applying info and posting about experiences in relation to this is a common interest here. If all this simply isn't your cup of tea, that's okay too, and it may be that the purpose of the forum just isn't in line with what you're after. Of course that's entirely up to you.

mooseheart said:
I am brand new to this forum and have to admit that I am quite a bit disappointed in the friendliness/helpfulness of the members here.

Well, there are a few things to consider here, nothing's ever black and white.

We do our best, but hey we're only human, sometimes things get missed. Nobody knows everything, maybe the right person who might have been able to answer your question just wasn't around. Sometimes we make mistakes, we're all fools here but we do our best. So, maybe it was oversight.

Another way to look at it is to consider what the act or reading/researching for oneself actually involves. There is the obvious level, at which we are trying to help ourselves, not asking before we have at least first tried to find some reference or answers is a form of external consideration. As you might have understood by now, it's not an enormous crew here and many of the folk here are working on a LOT of other projects, reading, researching, writing, creating SOTT daily, translating, moderating, distributing books, publishing, creating artworks, building and maintaining the many websites etc, etc. So you see, it's a help to others when we try and help ourselves first.

Then there's the process of learning, of what is actually happening there when we set out to gather knowledge, truth. The process itself seems to be important, that for knowledge to have any effect on our understanding, it has to first make a difference to our Being (what we are). Just spoon feeding everything doesn't have the same effect. You'll find it mentioned many times by the Cs that Laura had to find as many answers as she could for herself, was always being encouraged to research and figure things out for herself. Maybe everything could be passed down by wrote, but wouldn't we just end of with a bunch of STS priests, look where that got us!

Then there's balance, the idea that we ought to try and invest our own energy in the exchange. This quote comes to mind, it was given in a slightly different context, but the idea of balancing the energy seems to fit:

Laura said:
June 22, 2002

A: It should be noted that the STS system can only be penetrated by becoming "wise as serpents and gentle as doves." There is nothing negative about networking. Details of a network include the necessity for those who are involved to invest "energy" in the exchange. If the individual comes upon the life work of another and expects to benefit and gain by that work, they will naturally wish to have their own position balanced by putting forth a commensurate amount of energy. Otherwise there will be an imbalance of energy. This then leads to an STS pyramid. An example of this principle in reverse is a teacher who demands payment for no real work on their own part.

Then there are the books themselves. The oft quoted advice to read The Wave, really isn't a way to deflect questions or to try and belittle others, it's given in good faith because of the benefit that we have seen for ourselves in reading it, it's quite an eye opener! There are plenty of folks here that can attest to that! There really isn't any other way to communicate in bite size pieces the change of perspective it can provide.

Then there's the idea of Work on oneself. We find along the path that there are many barriers, reading a few books is a small barrier, if that proves too much then perhaps it is better not to start at all.

And then there is ourselves and the general situation we find ourselves in to consider. We misunderstand, misread, or miss altogether what others are trying to convey. We're so imbued with the way things generally unfold in the world that we take everything the wrong way, the way that life has conditioned us. I used to have terrible time with it, still do on occasion until I can gather my senses, but here's a trick that can help with getting around ones own programmed defences to hopefully help receive what others are trying to convey in the spirit in which it is given.

When at first, on reading a response on the forum here I found that I was reading it with a very negative tone of voice, a voice of disapproval or one of imagining anger being directed towards me, I found that if I re-read the same message but this time with a warm tone of voice in mind, that of a friend perhaps, someone that knew me and was trying to help me, then something very interesting happened!

It took a long time to learn that very often the barriers to understanding were my own reading errors, emotions and program's that we're running in the background unseen, filtering out anything useful before I could even get to it! Oy the wasted years!

Though sometimes it can be true that the insincere are not suffered lightly here - there's work to be done and noise levels to keep to a minimum for the benefit of all - sometimes what may seem harsh at first glance can just be our own reading errors and misunderstandings. Hope that helps.

Edit - typos

mooseheart said:
I am brand new to this forum and have to admit that I am quite a bit disappointed in the friendliness/helpfulness of the members here. I asked a question, but the answer was to "read the wave". That's 8 volumes of material!!!!! I consider that to be presumptuous, condescending and rude. I have stayed with this forum to try to understand it, but I have seen that this is the way that most people with questions are treated.

I have to sympathize with Truth Warrior because he made very pertinent comments and while his questions are eventually being answered, the administrators first reaction was to shoot him down instead of treating him kindly. Makes me think this forum is not open to individuals who are trying to learn which would seem contrary to their "knowledge is love" theory. Does that mean that those who have knowledge are superior to those who are looking for it? Seems like they are saying "Because we have the knowledge, we are STS and you who do not have it are the evil STO's"

Most blogs I read have individuals who comb through volumes of information and then condense it down into smaller portions making it easier for their readers to understand their points. This forum seems to do the opposite. I feel as if they are trying to do a form of brainwashing. It feels more like the Borg from Star Trek saying "Read our information so that you may be assimilated."

I'm not trying to be a troll, just letting you know what it's like for someone new to this forum, but take it as you will.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's my interpretation. By the way, Truth Warrior I'd love to see a link for the forums that you mentioned. I am quite curious if those forums have people who see it the way I do.

I would like thank those who did provide specifics to Truth Warriors questions, but we could have all saved a lot of time if that was the first response. That's the way I would have wanted my original question answered.

No. You want YOUR job to be done by the others. So that you can keep living your “busy active life” undisturbed.

There is no “summary” of knowledge. You can’t just read “summary” and say: Ahaa, that’s it! That is not working that way. To have knowledge you must earn it. Even if someone gives you the summary, and gives you the knowledge, it would mean nothing to you, because you must work on it to understand it, to make it yours knowledge.

There is no free lunch (or free knowledge) and yet you are asking for one. You are not even ready to give some of your time in exchange. Other members told you what to do and you keep ranting. Make a choice; do you want knowledge or no? What you are ready to give for it? (if anything, apparently . . . )

How about just keep living that busy active life?

Pierre said:

The customized table is a good idea but Laura can't lay on her tummy, it's too painful for her back.
Sure, it isn't really a good position. It is a bad position for Laura.

[quote author=Pierre]
In any case, she almost didn't sit today. She swam in cold water, spent a lot of time reading in her bedroom, alternating between a standing position (reading on a lectern) a laying on the side position (using a chaise longue). Both positions become really tiring after a while but sitting down is verboten!

On Monday or Tuesday, she should go for an X-ray to know the extent of the damage.

Things are slowly getting better but this injury is surely a pain in the a**.

[/quote]

I think that it is the best way to have an X-ray. With that info, we can have some ideas or positions to help.

Many meridians and nerves get through that part of the body. This part of body is very important. After her exam Monday or Tuesday, if Laura wans, I could suggest to her some positions to ease the pain.

"No. You want YOUR job to be done by the others. So that you can keep living your “busy active life” undisturbed.

There is no “summary” of knowledge. You can’t just read “summary” and say: Ahaa, that’s it! That is not working that way. To have knowledge you must earn it. Even if someone gives you the summary, and gives you the knowledge, it would mean nothing to you, because you must work on it to understand it, to make it yours knowledge.

There is no free lunch (or free knowledge) and yet you are asking for one. You are not even ready to give some of your time in exchange. Other members told you what to do and you keep ranting. Make a choice; do you want knowledge or no? What you are ready to give for it? (if anything, apparently . . . )

How about just keep living that busy active life?"

Wow! You don't know a thing about me and you've made quite a few negative remarks about the way I do or should live my life. Is that a STO statement? Thank you for making my point so eloquently. I think your interpretation of "busy active life" meant that I was rich and spoiled and have better things to do with my time than educate myself - perhaps playing with my expensive toys?? I would like to politely disagree with that assumption (assuming I am correct in my own assumption ;)). If you'd like to know, I live well below the poverty level and have had an extremely difficult life since birth. I am also not very good with computers so forgive me for not knowing how to properly copy a quote into this response. Today I was gathering wood for the winter. It is extremely difficult work, and I am quite tired from it, but I'm going to put up one more post to this forum before I quietly leave it alone.

"BUT - alas, there is no shortcut in this respect. The Universe gives back what you put into it - that's why it is called "The Work".

I have had endless discussions with my best mate about this. He always wants a "nuts and bolts" condensation of what I have been thinking and reading (kind of a "Explanation about Life for Dummies"). While I enjoy such discussions up to some point, because it forces me to recapitulate what I have learned for myself, I have realized, that essentially it is a waste of time to try to explain in "simple terms" complex issues.

Acquiring knowledge is much more than just reading books or websites. It's the first step, which needs to be followed by cross-reference and integration into what has been learned previously. Often different aspects become clear only after you have studied other things. And that is something only YOU can do for yourself. As the Cs are wont to say "There is no free lunch in this Universe"."

I understand what you mean about learning about the work in it's entirety. One cannot become a doctor without first learning the basics and working up from there. I get it. But with all due respect, I do not plan to be a doctor. I am the patient. I came here to ask a question about a certain portion of the work, not to become an expert in your field. Just the same way that I enter a doctors office for answers to questions that I need at the time. If the doctor were to tell me to go study for 10 years like they did, there is a distinct possibility that I could die before I find the answer I need.

Maybe all I need from the doctor is some anti-biotic and a band aid. In this sense, the doctor has not helped me on any level. While you do not plan to give out band aids on this forum, think of all the people a doctor helps every day, and then compare that to the people that you shoo away.

Our lives are entwined in the same world and so bare some similarities in that respect. In one way or another, we have happened along the same path. I don't know if my path merely intersects with yours, runs parallel, diagonal or dimensionally apart. All I know is that I have been led to and am interested in the work that you do.

My life's work could never be the same as yours for many reasons. But I have worked diligently all my life at what I do. I am an expert in my life in a way no other person could be because they have not lived in my shoes. When it comes to "working" at something, we all work at the lessons we are handed in our own lives. For the people of this forum to call me lazy because I do not want to spend the same amount of time learning their work is nothing more than just saddening.

I was not sent here to learn your work, I am here on a different assignment, though the information you have spent years acquiring could be very relevant to the knowledge that I work to attain. It is a shame that we cannot have a civil discussion beyond "Learn what I know and then we will talk." I feel that the world would be a better place if we could. If you do not think so, then I have learned all I need to know from you.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to me, I do appreciate it, but you are all saying the same thing. I can sure see that whatever is in those 8 volumes of "The Wave" has brought you together in a one mind, one thought system. I personally do not want to go there and I mean no disrespect in that. We are all individuals with different paths and methods of achieving the same things. I have no doubt that the universe will give to us all what we have put in, and I welcome that on the basis of my own direction in life. Our interactions, no matter how short have hopefully taught both sides what we need to learn. Thank you for your time.

mooseheart said:
Thank you to everyone who has responded to me, I do appreciate it, but you are all saying the same thing. I can sure see that whatever is in those 8 volumes of "The Wave" has brought you together in a one mind, one thought system. I personally do not want to go there and I mean no disrespect in that. We are all individuals with different paths and methods of achieving the same things. I have no doubt that the universe will give to us all what we have put in, and I welcome that on the basis of my own direction in life. Our interactions, no matter how short have hopefully taught both sides what we need to learn. Thank you for your time.

Then you will never be part of any solution.

If humanity does not evolve it means that the evolution of organic life will stop and this in its turn will cause the growth of the ray of creation to stop. At the same time if humanity ceases to evolve it becomes useless from the point of view of the aims for which it was created and as such it may be destroyed. In this way the cessation of evolution may mean the destruction of humanity.

"At the same time in examining the life of humanity as we know it historically we are bound to acknowledge that humanity is moving in a circle. In one century it destroys everything it creates in another and the progress in mechanical things of the past hundred years has proceeded at the cost of losing many other things which perhaps were much more important for it.

Speaking in general there is every reason to think and to assert that humanity is at a standstill and from a standstill there is a straight path to downfall and degeneration. A standstill means that a process has become balanced. The appearance of any one quality immediately evokes the appearance of another quality opposed to it. The growth of knowledge in one domain evokes the growth of ignorance in another; refinement on the one hand evokes vulgarity on the other; freedom in one connection evokes slavery in another; the disappearance of some superstitions evokes the appearance and the growth of others; and so on.

"Now if we recall the law of octaves we shall see that a balanced process proceeding in a certain way cannot be changed at any moment it is desired. It can be changed and set on a new path only at certain 'cross-roads.' In between the 'crossroads' nothing can be done. At the same time if a process passes by a 'crossroad' and nothing happens, nothing is done, then nothing can be done afterwards and the process will continue and develop according to mechanical laws; and even if people taking part in this process foresee the inevitable destruction of everything, they will be unable to do anything. I repeat that something can be done only at certain moments which I have just called 'crossroads'...

"Of course there are very many people who consider that the life of humanity is not proceeding in the way in which according to their views it ought to go. And they invent various theories which in their opinion ought to change the whole life of humanity. One invents one theory. Another immediately invents a contradictory theory. And both expect everyone to believe them. And many people indeed do believe either one or the other. Life naturally takes its own course but people do not stop believing in their own or other people's theories and they believe that it is possible to do something. All these theories are certainly quite fantastic, chiefly because they do not take into account the most important thing, namely, the subordinate part which humanity and organic life play in the world process.

Intellectual theories put man in the center of everything; everything exists for him, the sun, the stars, the moon, the earth. They even forget man's relative size, his nothingness, his transient existence, and other tilings. They assert that a man if he wishes is able to change his whole life, that is, to organize his life on rational principles. And all the time new theories appear evoking in their turn opposing theories; and all these theories and the struggle between them undoubtedly constitute one of the forces which keep humanity in the state in which it is at present. Besides, all these theories for general welfare and general equality are not only unrealizable, but they would be fatal if they were realized. Everything in nature has its aim and its purpose, both the inequality of man and his suffering. To destroy inequality would mean destroying the possibility of evolution. To destroy suffering would mean, first, destroying a whole series of perceptions for which man exists, and second, the destruction of the 'shock,' that is to say, the force which alone can change the situation. And thus it is with all intellectual theories.

"The process of evolution, of that evolution which is possible for humanity as a whole, is completely analogous, to the process of evolution possible for the individual man. And it begins with the same thing, namely, a certain group of cells gradually becomes conscious; then it attracts to itself other cells, subordinates others, and gradually makes the whole organism serve its aims and not merely eat, drink, and sleep. This is evolution and there can be no other kind of evolution. In humanity as in individual man everything begins with the formation of a conscious nucleus. All the mechanical forces of life fight against the formation of this conscious nucleus in humanity, in just the same way as all mechanical habits, tastes and weaknesses fight against conscious self-remembering in man." ...

There are two processes which are sometimes called 'involutionary' and 'evolutionary.' The difference between them is the following: An involutionary process begins consciously in the Absolute but at the next step it already becomes mechanical—and it becomes more and more mechanical as it develops; an evolutionary process begins half-consciously but it becomes more and more conscious as its develops. But consciousness and conscious opposition to the evolutionary process can also appear at certain moments in the involutionary process. From where does this consciousness come? From the evolutionary process of course. The evolutionary process must proceed without interruption. Any stop causes a separation from the fundamental process. Such separate fragments of consciousnesses which have been stopped in their development can also unite and at any rate for a certain time can live by struggling against the evolutionary process. After all it merely makes the evolutionary process more interesting. Instead of struggling against mechanical forces there may, at certain moments, be a struggle against the intentional opposition of fairly powerful forces though they are not of course comparable with those which direct the evolutionary process. These opposing forces may sometimes even conquer. The reason for this consists in the fact that the forces guiding evolution have a more limited choice of means; in other words, they can only make use of certain means and certain methods. The opposing forces are not limited in their choice of means and they are able to make use of every means, even those which only give rise to a temporary success, and in the final result they destroy both evolution and involution at the point in question. ...

It is only important for us to establish the indications of evolution beginning and the indications of evolution proceeding. And if we remember the full analogy between humanity and man it will not be difficult to establish whether humanity can be regarded as evolving.

"Are we able to say for instance that life is governed by a group of conscious people? Where are they? Who are they? We see exactly the opposite: that life is governed by those who are the least conscious, by those who are most asleep.

"Are we able to say that we observe in life a preponderance of the best, the strongest, and the most courageous elements? Nothing of the sort. On the contrary we see a preponderance of vulgarity and stupidity of all kinds.

"Are we able to say that aspirations towards unity, towards unification, can be observed in life? Nothing of the kind of course. We only see new divisions, new hostility, new misunderstandings.

"So that in the actual situation of humanity there is nothing that points to evolution proceeding. On the contrary when we compare humanity with a man we quite clearly see a growth of personality at the cost of essence, that is, a growth of the artificial, the unreal, and what is foreign, at the cost of the natural, the real, and what is one's own.

"Together with this we see a growth of automatism.

"Contemporary culture requires automatons. And people are undoubtedly losing their acquired habits of independence and turning into automatons, into parts of machines. It is impossible to say where is the end of all this and where the way out— or whether there is an end and a way out. One thing alone is certain, that man's slavery grows and increases. Man is becoming a willing slave. He no longer needs chains. He begins to grow fond of his slavery, to be proud of it. And this is the most terrible thing that can happen to a man.

"Everything I have said till now I have said about the whole of humanity. But as I pointed out before, the evolution of humanity can proceed only through the evolution of a certain group, which, in its turn, will influence and lead the rest of humanity.

"Are we able to say that such a group exists? Perhaps we can on the basis of certain signs, but in any event we have to acknowledge that it is a very small group, quite insufficient, at any rate, to subjugate the rest of humanity. Or, looking at it from another point of view, we can say that humanity is in such a state that it is unable to accept the guidance of a conscious group."

"How many people could there be in this conscious group?" someone asked.

"Only they themselves know this," said G.

"Does it mean that they all know each other?" asked the same person again.

"How could it be otherwise?" asked G. "Imagine that there are two or three people who are awake in the midst of a multitude of sleeping people. They will certainly know each other. But those who are asleep cannot know them. How many are they? We do not know and we cannot know until we become like them.

It has been clearly said before that each man can only see on the level of his own being.

But two hundred conscious people, if they existed and if they found it necessary and legitimate, could change the whole of life on the earth. But either there are not enough of them, or they do not want to, or perhaps the time has not yet come, or perhaps other people are sleeping too soundly.

"We have approached the problems of esotericism.

"It was pointed out before when we spoke about the history of humanity that the life of humanity to which we belong is governed by forces proceeding from two different sources: first, planetary influences which act entirely mechanically and are received by the human masses as well as by individual people quite involuntarily and unconsciously; and then, influences proceeding from inner circles of humanity whose existence and significance the vast majority of people do not suspect any more than they suspect planetary influences.

"The humanity to which we belong, namely, the whole of historic and prehistoric humanity known to science and civilization, in reality constitutes only the outer circle of humanity, within which there are several other circles.

"So that we can imagine the whole of humanity, known as well as unknown to us, as consisting so to speak of several concentric circles.

"The inner circle is called the 'esoteric'; this circle consists of people who have attained the highest development possible for man, each one of whom possesses individuality in the fullest degree, that is to say, an indivisible 'I,' all forms of consciousness possible for man, full control over these states of consciousness, the whole of knowledge possible for man, and a free and independent will. They cannot perform actions opposed to their understanding or have an understanding which is not expressed by actions. At the same time there can be no discords among them, no differences of understanding. Therefore their activity is entirely co-ordinated and leads to one common aim without any kind of compulsion because it is based upon a common and identical understanding.

"The next circle is called the 'mesoteric,' that is to say, the middle. People who belong to this circle possess all the qualities possessed by the members of the esoteric circle with the sole difference that their knowledge is of a more theoretical character.' This refers, of course, to knowledge of a cosmic character. They know and understand many things which have not yet found expression in their actions. They know more than they do. But their understanding is precisely as exact as, and therefore precisely identical with, the understanding of the people of the esoteric circle. Between them there can be, no discord, there can be no misunderstanding. One understands in the way they all understand, and all understand in the way one understands. But as was said before, this understanding compared with the understanding of the esoteric circle is somewhat more theoretical.

"The third circle is called the 'exoteric,' that is, the outer, because it is the outer circle of the inner part of humanity. The people who belong to this circle possess much of that which belongs to people of the esoteric and mesoteric circles but their cosmic knowledge is of a more philosophical character, that is to say, it is more abstract than the knowledge of the mesoteric circle. A member of the mesoteric circle calculates, a member of the exoteric circle contemplates. Their understanding may not be expressed in actions. But there cannot be differences in understanding between them. What one understands all the others understand.

"In literature which acknowledges the existence of esotericism humanity is usually divided into two circles only and the 'exoteric circle' as opposed to the 'esoteric,' is called ordinary life. In reality, as we see, the 'exoteric circle' is something very far from us and very high. For ordinary man this is already 'esotericism.'

" 'The outer circle' is the circle of mechanical humanity to which we belong and which alone we know. The first sign of this circle is that among people who belong to it there is not and there cannot be a common understanding. Everybody understands in his own way and all differently. This circle is sometimes called the circle of the 'confusion of tongues,' that is, the circle in which each one speaks in his own particular language, where no one understands another and takes no trouble to be understood. In this circle mutual understanding between people is impossible excepting in rare exceptional moments or in matters having no great significance, and which are confined to the limits of the given being.

If people belonging to this circle become conscious of this general lack of understanding and acquire a desire to understand and to be understood, then it means they have an unconscious tendency towards the inner circle because mutual understanding begins only in the exoteric circle and is possible only there. But the consciousness of the lack of understanding usually comes to people in an altogether different form.

"So that the possibility for people to understand depends on the possibility of penetrating into the exoteric circle where understanding begins.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
The First Initiation by Jeanne de Salzmann encourages one to recognize one's narcissism:

Jeanne de Salzmann said:
You will see that in life you receive exactly what you give. Your life is the mirror of what you are. It is in your image. You are passive, blind, demanding. You take all, you accept all, without feeling any obligation. Your attitude toward the world and toward life is the attitude of one who has the right to make demands and to take, who has no need to pay or to earn. You believe that all things are your due, simply because it is you! All your blindness is there! None of this strikes your attention. And yet this is what keeps one world separate from another world.

You have no measure with which to measure yourselves. You live exclusively according to “I like” or “I don’t like,” you have no appreciation except for yourself. You recognize nothing above you—theoretically, logically, perhaps, but actually no. That is why you are demanding and continue to believe that everything is cheap and that you have enough in your pocket to buy everything you like. You recognize nothing above you, either outside yourself or inside. That is why, I repeat, you have no measure and live passively according to your likes and dislikes.

Yes, your “appreciation of yourself” blinds you. It is the biggest obstacle to a new life. You must be able to get over this obstacle, this threshold, before going further. This test divides men into two kinds: the “wheat” and the “chaff.” No matter how intelligent, how gifted, how brilliant a man may be, if he does not change his appreciation of himself, there will be no hope for an inner development, for a work toward self-knowledge, for a true becoming. He will remain such as he is all his life. The first requirement, the first condition, the first test for one who wishes to work on himself is to change his appreciation of himself. He must not imagine, not simply believe or think, but see things in himself which he has never seen before, see them actually. His appreciation will never be able to change as long as he sees nothing in himself. And in order to see, he must learn to see; this is the first initiation of man into self-knowledge.

First of all, he has to know what he must look at. When he knows, he must make efforts, keep his attention, look constantly with persistence. Only through maintaining his attention, and not forgetting to look, one day, perhaps, he will be able to see. If he sees one time he can see a second time, and if that continues he will no longer be able not to see. This is the state to be looked for, it is the aim of our observation; it is from there that the true wish will be born, the irresistible wish to become: from cold we shall become warm, vibrant; we shall be touched by our reality.

Today we have nothing but the illusion of what we are. We think too highly of ourselves. We do not respect ourselves. In order to respect myself, I have to recognize a part in myself which is above the other parts, and my attitude toward this part should bear witness to the respect that I have for it. In this way I shall respect myself. And my relations with others will be governed by the same respect.

You must understand that all the other measures—talent, education, culture, genius—are changing measures, measures of detail. The only exact measure, the only unchanging, objective real measure is the measure of inner vision. I see—I see myself—by this, you have measured. With one higher real part, you have measured another lower part, also real. And this measure, defining by itself the role of each part, will lead you to respect for yourself.

But you will see that it is not easy. And it is not cheap. You must pay dearly. For bad payers, lazy people, parasites, no hope. You must pay, pay a lot, and pay immediately, pay in advance. Pay with yourself. By sincere, conscientious, disinterested efforts. The more you are prepared to pay without economizing, without cheating, without any falsification, the more you will receive. And from that time on you will become acquainted with your nature. And you will see all the tricks, all the dishonesties that your nature resorts to in order to avoid paying hard cash. Because you have to pay with your ready-made theories, with your rooted convictions, with your prejudices, your conventions, your “I like” and “I don’t like.” Without bargaining, honestly, without pretending. Trying “sincerely” to see as you offer your counterfeit money.

Try for a moment to accept the idea that you are not what you believe yourself to be, that you overestimate yourself, in fact that you lie to yourself. That you always lie to yourself every moment, all day, all your life. That this lying rules you to such an extent that you cannot control it any more. You are the prey of lying. You lie, everywhere. Your relations with others—lies. The upbringing you give, the conventions—lies. Your teaching—lies. Your theories, your art—lies. Your social life, your family life—lies. And what you think of yourself—lies also.

But you never stop yourself in what you are doing or in what you are saying because you believe in yourself. You must stop inwardly and observe. Observe without preconceptions, accepting for a time this idea of lying. And if you observe in this way, paying with yourself, without self-pity, giving up all your supposed riches for a moment of reality, perhaps you will suddenly see something you have never before seen in yourself until this day. You will see that you are different from what you think you are. You will see that you are two. One who is not, but takes the place and plays the role of the other. And one who is, yet so weak, so insubstantial, that he no sooner appears than he immediately disappears. He cannot endure lies. The least lie makes him faint away. He does not struggle, he does not resist, he is defeated in advance. Learn to look until you have seen the difference between your two natures, until you have seen the lies, the deception in yourself. When you have seen your two natures, that day, in yourself, the truth will be born.

The blindness to one's narcissism is what prevents one to even start The Work. Osit.

Back
Top Bottom