Smoking is... good?

http://www.sott.net/article/184615-Cigarette-Smoke-Can-Prevent-Allergies-Study-Suggests

[quote author=science daily article posted on Sott]Researchers at Utrecht University in the Netherlands found that treatment of mast cells with a cigarette smoke-infused solution prevented the release of inflammation-inducing proteins in response to allergens, without affecting other mast cell immune functions. [/quote]

Last year I suffered really bad hayfever symptoms, with wheezing breath, waking up in the middle of sleeping. I think it was worsened because I was working in a dusty environment and on nights! I didn't want to take anti-histamines and nothing seemed to help with the coughing fits apart from an inhaler (although I was only 3 months into keto) My symptoms usually start when the blossom comes out, but this year (SO FAR) I haven't felt that bad, maybe it's smoking+keto? My dad used to have hayfever really bad but he says he 'grew out of it' and it died off with age... :huh:

A Jay said:
I didn't find anything in the thread on this, but something I've noticed lately is that as soon as I start to feel the pollen getting to me (or whatever is in the air making me want to sneeze) if I light up I'm fine. I'm not sure if it's an anti-inflammatory thing or maybe some kind of anti-histamine reaction, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that smoking has a positive effect on their allergies?

The health problems I have are not quite the same as allergies in that my tissues are always inflamed, but I have noticed that when I smoke, my sinuses clear up and my lungs clear up. The only problem is that when I stop smoking, everything goes back to normal. The exception is when I used to have asthma attacks. When one starts up, I smoke my pipe and everything calms down, going back to my "normal" inflamed sinuses and lungs.

SeekinTruth said:
Hmm. Now that you mention it, my brother used to have pollen allergies when he was a teenager. That's when he started smoking, and as the years went by and he smoked more and more, he didn't have the allergies anymore.

When my mother quit smoking for a few months and she was visiting me, we went to my asthma doctor. She found out through testing that she had several allergies. My mother asked the doctor why she never had them before and the doctor told her that smoking masks the allergies so that they are not apparent.

My mother replied that maybe it'd be better for her to start smoking again, to which the doctor said, "NO!". :rolleyes:

Here's another person that found relief from their respiratory issues by smoking:

http://www.booksie.com/health_and_fitness/article/stevebasnett/can-smoking-alleviate-symptoms-of-asthma

Time to light up a torch for freedom! :cool2:

A Jay said:
I didn't find anything in the thread on this, but something I've noticed lately is that as soon as I start to feel the pollen getting to me (or whatever is in the air making me want to sneeze) if I light up I'm fine. I'm not sure if it's an anti-inflammatory thing or maybe some kind of anti-histamine reaction, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that smoking has a positive effect on their allergies?

I am the same. I used to have really bad hayfever that flared up each year - but since diet change and smoking it doesn't even affect me. Several times I've woke up in the early hours bunged up and had a wheezy chest. The only thing I found to instantly relieve this was a smoke! It cleared my sinus', throat and chest instantly, even when the smoke itself was somewhat uncomfortable!
The amount of hayfever tablets I had to take to have the same effect was abit ridicules aswell! Light up :cool2:!!

Huxley said:
A Jay said:

I am the same. I used to have really bad hayfever that flared up each year - but since diet change and smoking it doesn't even affect me. Several times I've woke up in the early hours bunged up and had a wheezy chest. The only thing I found to instantly relieve this was a smoke! It cleared my sinus', throat and chest instantly, even when the smoke itself was somewhat uncomfortable!
The amount of hayfever tablets I had to take to have the same effect was abit ridicules aswell! Light up :cool2:!!

Although we may be a bit prejudiced since we are smokers, I too seem to notice positive reactions to smoking in relation to my sinuses and throat when noticing say a tickle in the throat as symptom of a cold starting or sinus drainage etc.. It seems that the smoke itself calms down the irritation rather than aggravating the situation. I do try to stick with the Keto diet and only smoke organic tobacco so that could factor into the equation. :cool2:

Gaby said:
FWIW, I bought organic tobacco from _http://www.leafonly.com/ Came all the way from the US to Spain, and I had no taxes or EU importing issues.

Just a heads up for Spanish residents. I got taxed by customs on my last order. Still cheaper than buying tobacco locally though.

Gaby said:
Gaby said:
FWIW, I bought organic tobacco from _http://www.leafonly.com/ Came all the way from the US to Spain, and I had no taxes or EU importing issues.

Just a heads up for Spanish residents. I got taxed by customs on my last order. Still cheaper than buying tobacco locally though.
Yes, heads up for Spanish residents ---, I sent a present to a niece recently and, they taxed and also with tariff :scared:, I did not sent 300 bottles of cream!!, it was just a present that was less in price than the taxes and tariff cuota, something going over there (Spain), it is the first time my present type sendings had been tax with tariff???, perhaps due to the free commerce treaty between US and UE? _http://actualidad.rt.com/actualidad/171655-podemos-madrid-protestar-ttip-eeuu-ue --Spanish ---sorry by the off topic

mabar said:
Yes, heads up for Spanish residents ---, I sent a present to a niece recently and, they taxed and also with tariff :scared:, I did not sent 300 bottles of cream!!, it was just a present that was less in price than the taxes and tariff cuota, something going over there (Spain), it is the first time my present type sendings had been tax with tariff???, perhaps due to the free commerce treaty between US and UE? _http://actualidad.rt.com/actualidad/171655-podemos-madrid-protestar-ttip-eeuu-ue --Spanish ---sorry by the off topic

Or maybe the Inquisition never left...

Not by any means new but.... PROPAGANDA ALERT!

Smoking tobacco might increase risk of schizophrenia, say researchers

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/10/smoking-tobacco-might-increase-risk-schizophrenia-say-researchers-psychosis

Smoking tobacco might increase risk of schizophrenia, say researchers
Analysis of studies on smoking tobacco and psychosis, of which schizophrenia is most common type, suggests smoking may be causal factor in itself

Smoking cigarettes might increase people’s risk of psychosis, say researchers who believe tobacco as well as cannabis could play a part in causing schizophrenia.

It has long been recognised that people suffering from psychosis tend to smoke more than most of the population, but it has generally been assumed they are self-medicating. “Having psychosis is a very distressing thing – hearing voices, having delusions,” said Dr James MacCabe from King’s Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, one of the authors of a new study.

“The argument goes, why wouldn’t people smoke to alleviate the distress?” They might hope it would help with the symptoms and their impaired thinking processes and possibly counter the side-effects of antipsychotic drugs, he said.

But an analysis of a number of studies on smoking tobacco and psychosis, published in the Lancet Psychiatry journal, now shows that smoking may be a causal factor in itself.

The researchers found that daily smokers had an increased risk of psychosis. More than half - 57% - of people arriving at mental health services with their first episode were smokers, which is nearly three times the normal occurrence in the population. Smokers experienced psychosis one year earlier than non-smokers.

“We can’t say that we have proof that cigarette smoking causes schizophrenia,” said Sir Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research at King’s. “Indeed it is very difficult to point to any particular factor and say it causes schizophrenia. It is a bit like heart disease – there are a number of risk factors. You inherit some vulnerability and … are exposed to various things which increase the risk to your life.”

Cannabis is known to cause psychosis and schizophrenia. The authors say they could not be certain that all the studies they looked at had completely accounted for cannabis use. However, they are certain there is a modest effect caused by tobacco alone.

There are biologically plausible reasons why smoking may be linked to psychosis. “Excess dopamine is the best biological explanation we have for psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia,” said Murray. “It is possible that nicotine exposure, by increasing the release of dopamine, causes psychosis to develop.” A number of other drugs can stimulate dopamine production, including amphetamines, cocaine and cannabis.

There are also genetic clues – a small number of DNA sequences (called SNPs) are known to be implicated in both schizophrenia and smoking.

“While it is always hard to determine the direction of causality, our findings indicate that smoking should be taken seriously as a possible risk factor for developing psychosis, and not dismissed simply as a consequence of the illness,” said MacCabe.

Prof Michael Owen, director of the Institute of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences at Cardiff University, said this paper, together with a previous study carried out in Sweden, “make a pretty strong case that smoking is of causal relevance to schizophrenia”.

He hoped that further genetic investigation might help untangle the relationship. “The fact is that it is very hard to prove causation without a randomised trial, but there are plenty of good reasons already for targeting public health measures very energetically at the mentally ill,” he said.

I actually found this by accident whilst looking at the BBC "interactive text" service (UK) & there's different places reporting this with varying emphasis. What can you really say?

:ohboy: more ammunition for the anti-smokers... The joke is they even said in the article "we can't say we have proof" in that respect the article's title is totally misleading.

I found the article amusing and slightly irritating- maybe because I identify myself as a smoker, or maybe because what they're saying is propaganda as you said a ascien

Plus the society psychotic breakdown correlates with the long anti-smoking campaigns. The less smoking is widespread in Western society, the more the psychotic societal symptoms....

There is a known correlation between people with schizophrenia and smoking in that a great percentage of schizophrenics are smokers. And the ones i have known are chain smokers. I wonder why that is?

SeekinTruth said:
Plus the society psychotic breakdown correlates with the long anti-smoking campaigns. The less smoking is widespread in Western society, the more the psychotic societal symptoms....

Yes, it's like you can feel the noose being tightened as more people buy the lies. It is just one aspect of our struggle to go with truth vs lies I suppose. I would have never even thought I would be smoking again after quitting for over 25 years. It's been maybe 6 or 7 years since I decided there were actually benefits to smoking and tried it again. It was no easy choice and still isn't thanks to the anti-smoking propaganda as you all know.

A previous mention of the Nazi campaign against smoking might be useful to review here .

davey72 said:
There is a known correlation between people with schizophrenia and smoking in that a great percentage of schizophrenics are smokers. And the ones i have known are chain smokers. I wonder why that is?
The effect of nicotine on schizophrenia patients has been discussed here and certainly in other threads as well.

There are also some articles in SOTT like Research shows that smoking contributes to better cognitive function, lowers levels of social withdrawal, improves emotional and motivational responses and Health Benefits of Smoking Tobacco.

Rhiannon said:
Even though I stopped vaping in Nov. 2013, I am still dealing with some off and on weirdness in my teeth (a prickly/numbness feeling), and my sinuses sometimes feel like having a slight sinus infection, but without all the mucous, and I get a headache. It isn't everyday, or all the time, and I can't figure out what causes it to flare up. I sometimes have a few days in a row that I feel great, thinking "oh, it is finally over", but then it flares up again. Right now I am on a fifth day in a row of feeling symptoms. Taking naproxin, or ibuphrofren barely helps, and I hate taking them, but sometimes I just have to. It really is draining. It all goes back to the very beginning of vaping, and I personally wish I never tried it.

Here is my original post when I began:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26825.msg450203.html#msg450203

I read Mercola's article before. I do wonder if the nanoparticles are in my mucous membrane. I have done a few rounds of EDTA, and I now am drinking green clay to try and pull whatever out of my system. I am hoping it is not irreversible. It sucks. :cry:

If anyone has any suggestions what else I could do, please let me know.

P.S. I have even stopped smoking tobacco for the last 2 months, because it seemed to intensify my symptoms.

I totally missed this one! I would also do EDTA at some point because it is more specific for lead. Repeating the DMSA would also be good.

The symptoms you mentioned are also suggestive of nerve pains and/or problems. For that, I would take methylated folate and methylated B6 and B12 to help with the detox.

When there is suspicion of damage to fatty tissues in your sinuses or lungs, adding Alpha Lipoic Acid 300-600mg twice per day is a way to go. It will reach the fatty tissues and help chelate metals, but also repair DNA. NAC as a precursor of glutathione will also help, 600mg once or twice per day.

Magnesium malate will help chelate aluminum, it is the acid malic that does that job. Magnesium will also support +300 detox pathways.

I would experiment with frankincense oil as well because it has been used for sinus problems and inflammation in general:

_http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Use_Frankincense

This surely should have a solution. If basic detox supplements and diet don't work, checking the autoimmune thread protocol will be a good idea. Maybe the e-cigs was the last drop so to speak.

I didn't knew it caused you so much pain!

Back
Top Bottom