Smoking is... good?

From Ljubica

"I just found something scary: UK; Tobacco displays to be banned from shops by 2012

Quote:
Instead, cigarettes and other products will have to be kept under-the-counter from 2012 for large stores and 2015 for small shops, ministers have announced.

A consultation will also be launched on whether manufacturers should be forced to put cigarettes into plain packets.
End Quote

more on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12680815

Is this serious step to the: "smoking tobacco=criminal=drug abuse" public madness. I'm not a criminal, I'm smoker"

Here in Ontario, Canada we have had similar rules for about 1 year, all the smokes are behind doors on the shelves so no one can see them, hasnt stopped anyone from smoking,

plain pacekts would mean i do not have to see diseased lungs and the other gross stuff they put on the packs

they wont actually stop selling them because of the $, what they HAVE done is add gross chemicals to the smokes, when i started smoking 15 years ago the name brand smokes would burn without stopping if you didnt puff them, but now if you dont take a drag every minute or so the smoke stops burning, what kind of cruddy chemical did they add for that

also I now prefer to go to the Native Reservations and buy the "illegal" untaxed bagged cartons of smokes,

when i smoke name brands i feel ill, like i want to vomit and they also leave gross feeling in my throat like something is there

the native smokes only leave a dried out feeling resulting from breathing in smoke

i used to smoke pipes when i was starting smoking however the general concensus people have on pipes and cigars is not to inhale them, so i feel i was not gaining the beneficial effects of that natural tobacco, i have been interested in the native pipe ceremonies, but due to the C's mentioning that rituals are not so good i have become wary of the ceremony but still wish to smoke the most natural tobacco possible, since i prefer cigarettes anyways i will stick to the Native smokes even though i could get a $500 dollar fine, which i intend to fight if i recieve

THEY are selling the untaxed product not me, the store is in the same spot everyday, if this is such a problem for the tax collector he should go after them not me, i am simply purchasing the best available product for myself, too bad for the govt if they dont tax it

Breo said:
I was a smoker for 25 years, stopped for some years and restarted after reading what the C.´s and Laura said about smoking. I really enjoy smoking again. It nourishes me. Thinking goes better with it. I smoke pipe and selfroled American Spirit tobacco. But lately I noticed that my tongue started burning, even with different tobaccos. Not only burning but tiny little "cracks" appeared on my tongue that feel unpleasant. Does anybody know what that means and what to do with it? I don't want to stop smoking.

Hi Breo - Others, including myself, have found the AS tobacco to be harsh. You might also make sure to move your tongue around to a different position as you draw the smoke. This can also happen if the tobacco is too dry. FWIW

You can also drink water and/or OJ to relive the bite..
As I have posted this before, you may need to shop
around for the tobacco with less bite. Some shops
allow you to try out a pinch of different brands/types
until you find one that works for you.

FWIW,
Dan

Jimbofirstround said:
---they wont actually stop selling them because of the $, what they HAVE done is add gross chemicals to the smokes, when i started smoking 15 years ago the name brand smokes would burn without stopping if you didnt puff them, but now if you dont take a drag every minute or so the smoke stops burning, what kind of cruddy chemical did they add for that

... and cigars is not to inhale them, so i feel i was not gaining the beneficial effects of that natural tobacco, i have been interested in the native pipe ceremonies, but due to the C's mentioning that rituals are not so good i have become wary of the ceremony but still wish to smoke the most natural tobacco possible, since i prefer cigarettes anyways i will stick to the Native smokes even though i could get a $500 dollar fine, which i intend to fight if i recieve...

Hmm, I have feeling this and other actions to ward cigarettes products and smokers eventually will leads to ban tobacco smoking or to illegalize tobacco smoking, first signs are allready evident; excluding smokers population from public areas, separation of the same population to the smoker's areas on; airports, bars, restaurants....,...
Recently I could not apply for the senior manager's position on some yachts because I'm smoker, actually my credentials and CV are OK but the fact I'm smoker simply was not OK. :headbash:

well when i was in my youth my mother grew tobacco plants in our garden, perhaps we should all just grow our own, then we would in fact know exactly what is in the product we smoke, and would have it always readily available,

[quote author=Ljubica]
Hmm, I have feeling this and other actions to ward cigarettes products and smokers eventually will leads to ban tobacco smoking or to illegalize tobacco smoking, first signs are allready evident; excluding smokers population from public areas, separation of the same population to the smoker's areas on; airports, bars, restaurants....,...
[/quote]

...also covering the shelfs so people can't see them.

Probably smoking tobacco will be a crime, much the same way it is to drink beer on the street.(not that drinking on the street is okai)

There is a "Native" tobacco store in a nearby town. They have two brands of loose tobacco that are labeled pipe tobacco but they say can also be used for rolling tobacco. Also so they claim they are non additive.

I can't find much info on them on the Internet.

American Club Original Pipe Tobacco

Signal Classic All Natural Pipe Tobacco

Anyone have experience or info on these as a rolling tobacco?

Mac

Did you know that the woman with the longest confirmed human life span smoked almost during her whole life for 101 years? :cool2:

[quote author=Wikipedia]Calment's remarkable health presaged her later record. At age 85, she took up fencing, and at 100, she was still riding a bicycle. She was reportedly neither athletic, nor fanatical about her health. Calment lived on her own until shortly before her 110th birthday, when it was decided that she needed to be moved to a nursing home after a cooking accident (she was having complications with sight) started a small fire in her flat. However, Calment was still in good shape, and was able to walk until she fractured her femur during a fall at age 114 years and 11 months, which required surgery. After her operation, Calment needed to use a wheelchair. She weighed 45 kilograms (99 lb) in 1994. Calment became ill with influenza shortly before her 116th birthday. She smoked until the age of 117, only five years before her death. Calment smoked from the age of 21 (1896), though according to an unspecified source, she smoked no more than two cigarettes per day.

She ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilo of chocolate every week.[/quote]

Stranger said:
Did you know that the woman with the longest confirmed human life span smoked almost during her whole life for 101 years? :cool2:

[quote author=Wikipedia]Calment's remarkable health presaged her later record. At age 85, she took up fencing, and at 100, she was still riding a bicycle. She was reportedly neither athletic, nor fanatical about her health. Calment lived on her own until shortly before her 110th birthday, when it was decided that she needed to be moved to a nursing home after a cooking accident (she was having complications with sight) started a small fire in her flat. However, Calment was still in good shape, and was able to walk until she fractured her femur during a fall at age 114 years and 11 months, which required surgery. After her operation, Calment needed to use a wheelchair. She weighed 45 kilograms (99 lb) in 1994. Calment became ill with influenza shortly before her 116th birthday. She smoked until the age of 117, only five years before her death. Calment smoked from the age of 21 (1896), though according to an unspecified source, she smoked no more than two cigarettes per day.

She ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilo of chocolate every week.
[/quote]

WOW what a great story! Thank for sharing!

ALIEN1 said:
But she also consumed one kilo of chocolate everyday ;p Great story indeed, thank you for sharing :)

That's a kilo of chocolate every week, not day. LOL But I like it!!!

Nienna Eluch said:
ALIEN1 said:
But she also consumed one kilo of chocolate everyday ;p Great story indeed, thank you for sharing :)

That's a kilo of chocolate every week, not day. LOL But I like it!!!

That must be milk free chocolate!

Do I have to remind you that the second one on the list of the people with the longest human life span smoked, too? :lol:

Hm.. When reading the diets of those people, one might come to the conclusion that healthy diets are for nothing at all.

Those Who Live Longest Make Their Own Rules
Longest Living Eat Chocolate, Fried Chicken, Drink Alcohol, Smoke

Many researchers advice plant based diets and no smoking or alcohol and plenty of exercise for longevity, but the world's oldest people defy rules.

Based on the lifestyle choices of the world’s oldest individuals, eating chocolate, fried chicken and other favorite, usually frowned-on foods, drinking alcohol, and even smoking are okay. It helps to live in the country and be active most of the time. It’s a definite plus to be female. Above all, it helps to feel contented with your lot, and to have a sunny, happy disposition.

World's Oldest Live Long Despite Their Habits

Many of these habits go against the advice that current research says contributes to a long, healthy life. It appears that for many of the world’s oldest, those rules just don’t apply.

Genes are often thought to determine longevity, but only about 25 percent of how long we live is made up by our genes. Many researchers such as Dan Buettner in Blue Zones list special diets based mainly on vegetables and no refined foods and low fat, exercise, social connections, supportive belief systems, little or no alcohol, and no smoking. Others suggest supernutrients, supplements and even calorie restriction contribute to longevity and health.

Americans’ life expectancy is still rising, but it’s lower than any other developed countries at 77.9 years. Despite of this, among the 100 longest living individuals, 52 live or lived in the United States. 49 of these are or were women.

Examples of the World's Oldest Persons' Habits

Anecdotal evidence exists that these nonagenarians and supercentenarians in fact live relatively simple lifestyles, eating more or less regular diets, but their life tends to be low stress, and centered on feeling content and "sunny," if not downright happy.

Jeanne Calmet of France, the world’s oldest person who died at age 122 in 2007, was known for her zest for life; she took up fencing at age 85, rode a bicycle at 100 years old, and also smoked until age 117. When asked, Calmet said she’s lived so long due to large amounts of olive oil in her food and as skin moisturizer, eating a kilo of chocolate a week, and drinking port wine, as well as her sense of humor. "I will die laughing," she predicted. She’s described as having a sunny, happy disposition.

Sarah Knauss of Pennsylvania who died at age 119 in 1999 said she enjoyed her life because she had her health and could do things. Her favorite things to eat were milk chocolate turtles, cashews, and potato chips. She's described as being a "sweet lady." Her daughter said nothing fazed her, and that was why she lived so long.

Gertrude Baines of California who lived to be 115 and died in September 2009, lived on her own until she was 107, and loved to eat crispy bacon and munch on sweets, fried chicken, and ice cream. She liked to watch TV shows such as Jerry Springer. Baines credited her longevity to a temperate lifestyle.

Many Who Live Long are Light Hearted, Make others Laugh, and Love Their Lives

Anecdotal evidence suggests that living to an advanced age is due to the ability to focus on the good in those individuals’ lives, to do what they love to do, and to make everyone else around them happy in the process. Diet and even exercise seem to be less significant although important factors.

Alice Jones of Sullivan County, New York, is a 91 year old woman who still lives independently and hunts for deer every year. She’s always eaten a "regular American diet," although she was "‘fond of her healthy bread," and she was always active. She attributes her longevity to her ability to make light of things, and to make people laugh.

Gwen Crellin of Milford, Pennsylvania lives on her own at 91, despite of her severe hearing and vision problems. She says laughingly, “If I can’t laugh at myself at this state I’m in, then I’m really in trouble.” She’s always been active. Dancing and fishing in the Delaware River have been her favorite activities. She always eat a regular diet, and also likes to make people laugh. She also said that keeping away from doctors as much as possible has helped.

_http://www.suite101.com/content/worlds-oldest-people-have-their-own-habits-a194558

I have often wondered how much of the badness in smoking is due to the "artificial" chemical crap in corporate cigarettes vs. the "natural" traditional native American tobacco.

Crusader humaniste said:
I have often wondered how much of the badness in smoking is due to the "artificial" chemical crap in corporate cigarettes vs. the "natural" traditional native American tobacco.

If you've read the whole thread, you'd know! :)

Back
Top Bottom