Smoking is... good?

Stranger said:
Riki Ott said:
Among workers with high oil exposure, nonsmokers reported a greater prevalence of symptoms of chronic bronchitis than smokers.

This is just anecdotal, I know - and has reference to acute symptoms rather than chronic symptoms - but firefighters report something similar.

Normally they wouldn't breathe in any toxic smoke (e.g. from burning plastics) because they'd be wearing breathing apparatus. But if they happen to, it can bring on a bad bout of coughing. A couple of drags on a cigarette, though, is enough to calm the lungs right down.

Whether this is due to the change in breathing when smoking, or to the effects of the tobacco itself, I'm not sure.

I just smoked light cigarette and I got little dizzy and it still holds me a bit probably because I don't smoke and that taste of smoke stays in your throat. I just want to know does smoking interferes with breathing that you breath harder but I saw this post by Othershaw about bronchitis so it seems it's also a myth , my grandfather died from lung caner and he smoked much and my mother tried to stop me from it saying how he finished but I'am not so sure it was from it after reading articles on sott.net! I'am still little high because of that nicotine in my brain, if my ex coach saw me he would think I'am crazy because he was so against smoking because of sport, and well I can only say that it wasn't an easy way becoming crazy ! :lol:

dannybananny said:
I just smoked light cigarette and I got little dizzy and it still holds me a bit probably because I don't smoke and that taste of smoke stays in your throat. I just want to know does smoking interferes with breathing that you breath harder but I saw this post by Othershaw about bronchitis so it seems it's also a myth , my grandfather died from lung caner and he smoked much and my mother tried to stop me from it saying how he finished but I'm not so sure it was from it after reading articles on sott.net! I'am still little high because of that nicotine in my brain, if my ex coach saw me he would think I'am crazy because he was so against smoking because of sport, and well I can only say that it wasn't an easy way becoming crazy ! :lol:

Interesting post db, thanks for sharing with us.

I'm apnea diver (commenced with it because my father taught it's good for my problems with allergy & asthma), when I commenced to smoke, my father was, at least to say disappointed), but now 20 years after (the first cigarette), I don't have, even the slightest trace of asthma, my father (as well apnea diver) was sure, my diving abilities will diminish with smoking, I guess he was pretty surprised when he noticed, my abilities actually increased. At the beginning, I was lightheaded as well but smoking actually assisted to relax the muscles for yoga breathing practices (typical diaphragmatic breathing is essential part for every apnea diver, now I'm using EE) and diving, and I noticed I managed to stay much longer, when fully relaxed, under the water without any trace of apoxia (lack of oxygen in the brain and body), so who can say, perhaps new scientific researches should be done with our "anti tobacco" gang to find out exactly what tobacco is doing to us. (sott have a lot of excellent articles related to tobacco benefits on our health)

_xyz_ said:
Got the Mapacho on Saturday and tried it over the weekend. It's jut a very strong tobacco, it gives you a short nicotine high of the kind that a non-smoker gets when lighting up a cigarette, not worse than that. Kinda like those old yellow-leaf Gitanes cigarettes for those who remember. Otherwise nothing interesting I can say about it except that the huge roll of about 1kg of the stuff is priced 25 EUR, so it's much cheaper than what you get in a tobacco shop. Rather dry though and tastes no better than American Spirit. And obviously you must cut it yourself.

I've received mine too.
did you noticed that it does not smell like tobacco too ?
I olso noticed that it smells like tea with a little bit of menthol

as of the smoking taste it's quite good for me. better than American Spirit

Stranger said:
So, do you both consider it for general use? If its suitable I would give it a try, since it's a lot of cheaper.

I can't judge if it is for general use. the only thing I can say it doesn't smell like tobacco and tastes a little bit different but good for me.
I expected that it would taste like a really strong cigarette but in fact it doesn't. quite smooth even without filter.
as for the price 25 € plus shipping cost (end result 37 €).
the weight is about 600 grams.

I have some Nicotina Rustica seeds started in a box by the window. I will transplant them in the garden in a couple of weeks. It will be an interesting experiment to grow it.

With luck will have much later in the summer.

Mac

Stranger said:
Riki Ott said:
Among workers with high oil exposure, nonsmokers reported a greater prevalence of symptoms of chronic bronchitis than smokers.

I had to take a class about asbestos a few years ago. Supposedly with asbestos workers, those who smoke are at higher risk for lung cancer. They probably didn't take into account many other factors that smokers do that could be a problem. A smoker is more likely to take off their mask to smoke. Even if it is in a "clean" area, sites near asbestos will always have more exposure. There are also crazy anecdotal stories of workers who have cut holes in their masks to smoke cigarettes through them!

Ottershrew said:
This is just anecdotal, I know - and has reference to acute symptoms rather than chronic symptoms - but firefighters report something similar.

Normally they wouldn't breathe in any toxic smoke (e.g. from burning plastics) because they'd be wearing breathing apparatus. But if they happen to, it can bring on a bad bout of coughing. A couple of drags on a cigarette, though, is enough to calm the lungs right down.

Whether this is due to the change in breathing when smoking, or to the effects of the tobacco itself, I'm not sure.

That has happened to me at work once. For some reason I kept coughing, like something was bothering deep down, not just in the throat. It happened that day I forgot my cigarettes home. My co worker said it was due to smoking and I laughed and said "I bet it would stop with a cigarette". We asked someone for a cigarette and even though it was a brand I disliked, smoking stopped the coughing!

_xyz_ said:
Stranger: haven't tried yet, but I just ordered one roll, should arrive next week. I'll let you now.

I ordered here: http://www.alexxis.net/Kraeuter/Mapacho-Nicotiana-rustica-Aztekentabak-Buendel::370.html
_xyz_ said:
Got the Mapacho on Saturday and tried it over the weekend. It's jut a very strong tobacco, it gives you a short nicotine high of the kind that a non-smoker gets when lighting up a cigarette, not worse than that. Kinda like those old yellow-leaf Gitanes cigarettes for those who remember. Otherwise nothing interesting I can say about it except that the huge roll of about 1kg of the stuff is priced 25 EUR, so it's much cheaper than what you get in a tobacco shop. Rather dry though and tastes no better than American Spirit. And obviously you must cut it yourself.
Pashalis said:
I've received mine too.

Once they had received your payments, did you get some status note that the package was shipped? When I ordered, I got the impression from the info they sent that such was to come, and my payment was transferred (on my end, at least) to them on the 18th. Since then I have sent an email to them asking if there was an issue receiving the payment or some other delay, no response yet.

Psalehesost said:
_xyz_ said:
Stranger: haven't tried yet, but I just ordered one roll, should arrive next week. I'll let you now.

I ordered here: http://www.alexxis.net/Kraeuter/Mapacho-Nicotiana-rustica-Aztekentabak-Buendel::370.html
_xyz_ said:
Pashalis said:
I've received mine too.

Once they had received your payments, did you get some status note that the package was shipped? When I ordered, I got the impression from the info they sent that such was to come, and my payment was transferred (on my end, at least) to them on the 18th. Since then I have sent an email to them asking if there was an issue receiving the payment or some other delay, no response yet.

on 2. April they sended a E Mail with state=in process
on 11. April they sended state=shipped and that it should be here in the following 20 days
on 21. April I received it

no worry I think you are right in time

I smoked up to 2+ packs/day for almost 15 years. Then I quit for about 6 years. In 2008, I began smoking again, 2 packs/day {I was putting myself under enormous stress}. Now, I smoke approximately 1.5 packs/week. This works out to 3-4 cigarettes/day. I smoke when I want. If I am ill, like I am now, I won't smoke at all; I feel worse if I do. I firmly believe too much of anything is harmful. And as for addiction, the mindset makes all the difference.

Pashalis said:
on 11. April they sended state=shipped and that it should be here in the following 20 days

That puts it in perspective - so the update usually takes some time after payment is made. I guess then that I'll just be patient, wait and see.

Psalehesost said:
Pashalis said:

That puts it in perspective - so the update usually takes some time after payment is made. I guess then that I'll just be patient, wait and see.

yes. It was 1 week after I gave the transfer check to my bank when I got the first E Mail.
and remember I live in germany and the bank to which the transfer is handelt is olso in germany.

Stranger said:
Sirius said:
I read this article this morning because you had announced that you would translate it. It is a very interesting article and certainly not "too old."

What I noticed, one reader commented it, actually criticised it, just yesterday or today (depending upon time differences and settings) as though it is now attracting increasing attention.

There are some criticising comments without any rational arguing. But I also commented on it and asking why there are scientific sources who claim that 80-90% of all lung cancer deaths are related to smoking.

It would be great if someone has an answer for that or know some more facts behind these sources. Maybe everyone is listed as a "smoker" if he smoked a few times in his life. In the comment section is an article linked to, in which a scientist states, that you have to be smoked 100 cigarettes in your life and you are listed as a smoker if you die of lung cancer.

Than it is not unlikely that 60-80% of all humans belong to smokers. But still, if smoking really rather prevents lung cancer, and I don't doubt it after reading the sources I mentioned above, there mustn't be any correlation between smokers and lung cancer deaths. Actually it should show that less smokers die of it.

There is this study among canadians, saying:

Life table methodology was used to estimate the probability of developing lung cancer by smoking status. Lifetime risks of developing lung cancer were estimated for six hypothetical cohorts (males, females, male current smokers, male never smokers, female current smokers, and female never smokers). Estimates of smoking mortality and incidence rates were calculated based on Canadian rates observed over the period 1987 to 1989. It was found that 172/1,000 of male current smokers will eventually develop lung cancer; the similar probability among female current smokers was 116/1,000. For those who never smoked on a regular basis the lifetime risk was substantially reduced. Only 13/1,000 males and 14/1,000 females in this category will develop lung cancer. When smoking status is not adjusted for, the lifetime risk of developing lung cancer is approximately 96/1,000 and 43/1,000 for males and females respectively.

Stranger,

I think that one has to realize that retrospective epidemiological studies are flawed, no matter what they study. The problem is all sorts of bias, that usually is not controlled for - which often is impossible to do anyway.

In the above mentioned study, they probably wouldn't have controlled for socioeconomic status. There is a good example for that in Colby's book. Cigarette smoking is associated with lower socioeconomic status, and this again is associated with shorter life span, due to all sorts of factors, like unhealthier work environment, unhealthier lifestyle, less access to the medical system etc.

In my opinion it is safe to say, that the majority of lung cancer is due to the nuclear fallout from nuclear bomb testing. This is just a hypothesis, and I don't think that there is any research in this direction at all, but one clue to this is the difference in cancer rates between the US and Japan, where there is a striking difference in smoking too: Japanese smoke a lot, but die from lung cancer much less than their US counterparts, who smoke less, but die more from lung cancer. The Japanese had 2 nuclear bombs dropped on them, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with a total yield of around 50 KT. In the Nevada test range alone approx. 210 ATMOSPHERIC nuclear explosions were done until they banned the atmospheric tests in 1958, with a total yield of something between 2000 and 5000 KT. This is at least 100 times the dose of the Japanese ... of course this nasty stuff will blow around the world everywhere and affect every human being. But still there are regional differences. Not to speak of the underground testing that merrily went on worldwide - and still does ... (for a list of all the bomb tests see _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_tests)

But I reckon these are studies that never will be done, because there is no interest in the PTB to reveal such data.

So in essence you can prove pretty much anything you want with this type of studies, by selecting the data that you gather and how you actually statistically process them.

nicklebleu said:
In my opinion it is safe to say, that the majority of lung cancer is due to the nuclear fallout from nuclear bomb testing. This is just a hypothesis, and I don't think that there is any research in this direction at all, but one clue to this is the difference in cancer rates between the US and Japan, where there is a striking difference in smoking too: Japanese smoke a lot, but die from lung cancer much less than their US counterparts, who smoke less, but die more from lung cancer. The Japanese had 2 nuclear bombs dropped on them, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with a total yield of around 50 KT. In the Nevada test range alone approx. 210 ATMOSPHERIC nuclear explosions were done until they banned the atmospheric tests in 1958, with a total yield of something between 2000 and 5000 KT. This is at least 100 times the dose of the Japanese ... of course this nasty stuff will blow around the world everywhere and affect every human being. But still there are regional differences. Not to speak of the underground testing that merrily went on worldwide - and still does ... (for a list of all the bomb tests see _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_tests)

But I reckon these are studies that never will be done, because there is no interest in the PTB to reveal such data.

So in essence you can prove pretty much anything you want with this type of studies, by selecting the data that you gather and how you actually statistically process them.

I second your thoughts. I searched for the original source of the video which says that there has been 2053 bomb testings in the world. Well, it is actually 2055 because there has been a couple more testings since that video was posted.

Here is the original study:

Nuclear Explosions, 1945 -1998 by Nils-Olov Bergkvist and Ragnhild Ferm.
http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/31/060/31060372.pdf
(FOA - DEFENCE RESEARCH ESTABLISHMENT. SIPRI - STOCKHOLM INTERNATIONAL PEACE RESEARCH INSTITUTE.):

The main part of this report is a list of nuclear explosions conducted by the United States, the Soviet
Union, the United Kingdom, France, China, India and Pakistan in 1945-98. The list includes all known
nuclear test explosions and is compiled from a variety of sources including officially published informa-
tion from the USA, Russia and France. The details given for each explosion (date, origin time, location,
yield, type, etc.) are often compiled from more than one source because the individual sources do not give
complete information. The report includes a short background to nuclear testing and provides brief infor-
mation on the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) and the verification regime now being
established to verify compliance with the treaty. It also summarizes nuclear testing country by country.
The list should be used with some caution because its compilation from a variety of sources means that
some of the data could be incorrect. This report is the result of cooperation between the Defence Research
Establishment (FOA) and the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
An electronic version of the list may be obtained from FOA on request.

Back
Top Bottom