Smoking is... good?

Nicolas said:
Ok, well, I have been smoking now for just over two months. I only smoke half of a hand rolled cigarette (1/3 Organic American Spirit and 2/3 Organic Kentucky Reserve) in the evening after dinner. Sometimes I will smoke a half after breakfast on the weekends.

After just a few inhalations, I get a strange sensation...almost like a weight descends upon me. This sensation makes it difficult to walk and I feel uncoordinated for about an hour. Is this a normal sensation for beginner smokers? Does this sensation eventually stop? Or am I just not suited for smoking and should just give it up? I really don't have anyone near me to talk about this so any insights would be appreciated.

I bought some Organic American Spirit today and took two inhalations off of one I rolled and I got exactly that heavy, uncoordinated feeling you described. Before, when I was smoking cigars, I didn't get that feeling, even after a couple of inhalations of cigar smoke. Must be something about the way they cut cigarette tobacco. Plus I heard American Spirit is very high in nicotine.

I have been smoking now for about a month - much to the horror and disgust from my friends. I have well fallen into the looney bin now - with no alcohol, coffee, gluten, dairy ... BUT CIGARS????

I still get the occasional nicotine overdose with lightheadedness and slight nausea, especially if I smoke too fast and inhale too much. I also smoke only after lunch and/or dinner - and quite frankly, every day I look forward to that. My goal is to be able to inhale the smoke - and smoke up to three cigars/ cigarillos per day.

Not sure if that amount of smoking is making any difference at all "alien-food-wise" ... ;)

I mostly smoke Montecristo Mini cigars (mild but unfortunately quite expensive), as all the other organic cigarette brands are unavailable where I live - even online. Raw tobacco as in Mapucho is definitely not available, even illegal. There used to be something similar up here called "chop-chop", which was illegally grown and distributed chopped natural tobacco leaves. I find it ironic, that the government is banning the forms of tobacco, which clearly are "less dangerous" to your health than industrially mass-produced cigarettes (which is even acknowledged by anti-smoker lobbyists - I have a friend who is one!). It is even illegal to grow your own! But we all know how the government has only our best interests at heart!

I recently found something quite interesting re smoking and lung cancer. In the original Surgeon Generals Report on the Effects of Smoking (1964), there is a NEGATIVE CORRELATION between smoking cigars (slightly) and smoking pipes (markedly), which means that either smoking cigars or smoking pipes is actually PREVENTING rather than causing lung cancer.

So for the time being I will happily puff away and further tax my already stretched friends ...

It is quite interesting to observe those
whom are quite vociferous against smokers,
believing in the official LI<n>E of the PTB.

I hope you gain from the benefits from smoking.

Thanks for sharing!
Stay :cool2:!

Mr. Premise said:
Nicolas said:
Ok, well, I have been smoking now for just over two months. I only smoke half of a hand rolled cigarette (1/3 Organic American Spirit and 2/3 Organic Kentucky Reserve) in the evening after dinner. Sometimes I will smoke a half after breakfast on the weekends.

After just a few inhalations, I get a strange sensation...almost like a weight descends upon me. This sensation makes it difficult to walk and I feel uncoordinated for about an hour. Is this a normal sensation for beginner smokers? Does this sensation eventually stop? Or am I just not suited for smoking and should just give it up? I really don't have anyone near me to talk about this so any insights would be appreciated.

I bought some Organic American Spirit today and took two inhalations off of one I rolled and I got exactly that heavy, uncoordinated feeling you described. Before, when I was smoking cigars, I didn't get that feeling, even after a couple of inhalations of cigar smoke. Must be something about the way they cut cigarette tobacco. Plus I heard American Spirit is very high in nicotine.

Thanks for your information Mr. Premise. I tried a smoke of only the Organic Kentucky Blend and didn't get that uncoordinated feeling so I think you may be right about the American Spirit blend.

Psalehesost said:
Pashalis said:
on 2. April they sended a E Mail with state=in process
on 11. April they sended state=shipped and that it should be here in the following 20 days
on 21. April I received it

no worry I think you are right in time

That puts it in perspective - so the update usually takes some time after payment is made. I guess then that I'll just be patient, wait and see.

It can take longer, my delivery took over 4 weeks.

By the way it taster much better than I initially thought, because I first tried the dry tips of the "cigar" and didn't like it that much, but after I got to the still moist inner part, it tastes fantastic. A bit of chocolate flavor, very nice when rolled with slim filters.

Mr. Premise said:

I heard that, too. There was a comparison between some tobacco products and they said that American Spirit has the highest amount of a certain alkaline kind of nicotine called "free base nicotine".

It is published in the "Chemical Research in Toxicology".
Nicotine can exist in protonated and free base forms in the smoke PM, and αfb is the fraction of the PM nicotine that is in the free base form. Because only the free base form can volatilize from the smoke PM phase to the gas phase of an inhaled aerosol and because gaseous nicotine deposits rapidly in the respiratory tract (RT), the magnitude and rate of nicotine deposition in the RT will depend on αfb.

In contrast to the acid nicotine which disappears mostly in the fire the alkaline one is more stable.

I noticed the same with American Spirit tobacco: It has the strongest effect on me of all tobacco sorts I smoked. Only the organic german Yuma tobacco is (almost) similar.

nicklebleu said:
I recently found something quite interesting re smoking and lung cancer. In the original Surgeon Generals Report on the Effects of Smoking (1964), there is a NEGATIVE CORRELATION between smoking cigars (slightly) and smoking pipes (markedly), which means that either smoking cigars or smoking pipes is actually PREVENTING rather than causing lung cancer.

Priceless! :cool2:

What about e-cigar? E-smoking is much cheaper, but is it a good way for the consumption of nicotine?

Stranger said:
Mr. Premise said:

I heard that, too. There was a comparison between some tobacco products and they said that American Spirit has the highest amount of a certain alkaline kind of nicotine called "free base nicotine".

It is published in the "Chemical Research in Toxicology".
Nicotine can exist in protonated and free base forms in the smoke PM, and αfb is the fraction of the PM nicotine that is in the free base form. Because only the free base form can volatilize from the smoke PM phase to the gas phase of an inhaled aerosol and because gaseous nicotine deposits rapidly in the respiratory tract (RT), the magnitude and rate of nicotine deposition in the RT will depend on αfb.

In contrast to the acid nicotine which disappears mostly in the fire the alkaline one is more stable.

I noticed the same with American Spirit tobacco: It has the strongest effect on me of all tobacco sorts I smoked. Only the organic german Yuma tobacco is similar.

Wow. I guess free-base nicotine is way to hard-core for me! I had one large puff last night, and I stumbled back into the house like I was dead-drunk. I can still feel the effects. I am going to wait a day or two and try really small inhales. Too bad, too, because unlike what everyone has reported I found this organic American Spirit to be extremely smooth, not harsh. I must have gotten a very fresh pouch.

lux said:
What about e-cigar? E-smoking is much cheaper, but is it a good way for the consumption of nicotine?

Vaporizing nicotine is considered to be healthier, but I'm not sure. My personal opinion is that the gel that contains the liquid nicotine, which gets vaporized, is not very clean. I know a few people who have tried it and mentioned this. It's especially not clean if you have one of the flavored nicotine gels because the flavor additive has all kinds of extra stuff that you shouldn't be ingesting. But E-cigarettes are VERY popular with people who are both trying to quit and trying to "smoke healthier", and I'm not sure it works well for either case.

Heimdallr said:
lux said:

Vaporizing nicotine is considered to be healthier, but I'm not sure. My personal opinion is that the gel that contains the liquid nicotine, which gets vaporized, is not very clean. I know a few people who have tried it and mentioned this. It's especially not clean if you have one of the flavored nicotine gels because the flavor additive has all kinds of extra stuff that you shouldn't be ingesting. But E-cigarettes are VERY popular with people who are both trying to quit and trying to "smoke healthier", and I'm not sure it works well for either case.

Couldn't you take regular tobacco and smoke it using a vaporizer (the kind they sell in head shops)? Answering a question I was about to ask, I looked up the boiling point of nicotine and it is 247C. The way vaporizers work is by boiling the active ingredients into vapor before actually burning the leaves, so I guess it would depend on what temperature leaves burn. Paper burns at about the same temp. as nicotine boils, so I guess my idea wouldn't work. So they must do some chemical hocus pocus to make those e-cigarettes.

Mr. Premise said:
Couldn't you take regular tobacco and smoke it using a vaporizer (the kind they sell in head shops)?

It's possible I think, but don't go by my advice. ;)

Mr.Premise said:
So they must do some chemical hocus pocus to make those e-cigarettes.

That's my feeling about E-cigs, lord knows what they do with it to turn it into a liquid gel.

the nicotine in e-cigarettes comes dissolved is propylenglycol, an high boiling point solvent which is used to do smoke in shows and discos. When arrives to the lungs it is metabolized to lactic acid. I heard a person in a forum that said that her sister get ill in the lungs after use the e-cigarette.

Please can somebody clarify a question? Is is normal to cough when one start to smoking? I am referring not in the moment to puff but in a general way? I have one month trying and I have cough. is it a time thing to get habituate?

Galaxia2002 said:
Please can somebody clarify a question? Is is normal to cough when one start to smoking? I am referring not in the moment to puff but in a general way? I have one month trying and I have cough. is it a time thing to get habituate?

I may not be of much help since I am a light smoker but I do not have any couphing problems so far after over two months smoking. I smoke hand rolled cigs with no filter.

When you cough, do you feel any substance in your lungs? It could be the mucus layer building up.

Mr. Premise said:
Wow. I guess free-base nicotine is way to hard-core for me! I had one large puff last night, and I stumbled back into the house like I was dead-drunk. I can still feel the effects. I am going to wait a day or two and try really small inhales. Too bad, too, because unlike what everyone has reported I found this organic American Spirit to be extremely smooth, not harsh. I must have gotten a very fresh pouch.

Wow, that's an intense reaction to one puff! During my first cigarette experiences I had lighter nicotine flashes which were really relaxing. I still have them with the first cigarette in the morning. I can't speak for you but maybe you could try to smoke one or two cigarettes a day, usually your body will accustom to the effect of nicotine within a few days/weeks. Apart from that you just could try other organic or additive free tobacco products available in your country. (Pueblo is inexpensive, for example).

Good Luck with adjusting! :)

Back
Top Bottom