Smoking is... good?

I´m in doubt ether should I start smoking again or not,after I red C´s advices on the matter.
Used to smoke 2 years ago with with a short interruption in the meantime and stooped on the end,mostly for financial reasons.
It wasn´t hard cus I´m like immune to nicotine and rly can´t develop physical addiction.
So my question is:which genetic profile C´s talked about should people have to start smoking and protect themselves,because I am totally in the dark with this matter for I really can function without nicotine but I must admit that I noticed my performance in IQ tasks got worse.

I’ve been smoking for about six weeks now. I have experienced several benefits: stress reduction, increased focus and reduction in my mild attentional problems (ADD without hyperactivity), less negative emotions (maybe that’s one reason it makes us less palatable to aliens). Combined with the low carb diet I’ve also lost more weight.

Because of the reduction of ADD-type symptoms, one nice side effect is that my relationship with my wife has been way better since smoking. A lot of the problems in our relationship stemmed from my attentional problems and she is much happier with me now. Of course, my wife was not happy with me smoking, but she is good at observing boundaries and letting me experiment with diet, etc. She quit smoking 20 years ago after smoking heavily in her twenties. But after showing her some studies showing reduction in Parkinsons and Alzheimers and some other diseases, she softened up about it.

I have been smoking organic Kentucky Select dual purpose pipe/rolling tobacco. The effects of natural hand-rolled cigarettes have been very different from the commercial cigarettes I smoked for a year or so twenty years ago. You don’t get that blast that comes from chemicals they add to make the nicotine go to your brain faster. I still have a low tolerance for nicotine, but have been increasing it slowly. I can still get the heavy, uncoordinated feeling, but less often than before.

The interesting thing, is that I also bought an e-cigarette device for long plane rides, etc., when you can’t light up (the nicotine gums seem to all have artificial sweeteners in them). The effects of nicotine by itself are much different than the effects of smoked tobacco. I think the main difference may be the harmaline alkaloids in tobacco, which are monoamine oxidase inhibitors. MAOI compounds are contraindicated when taking 5HTP, which I had to stop soon after starting smoking because of waking up in the night with an elevated heart rate. But I don’t feel like I need any 5HTP now, so that’s not an issue. One thing that occurred to me is that, having read Terence McKenna (I know) back in the 1990s, one of his wild hypotheses was that the Harmaline compounds in Ayahuasca had some transformative effects on DNA. Maybe this is what helps alter DNA in the way that the Cs referenced.

:cool2:

Mr. Premise said:
(...) One thing that occurred to me is that, having read Terence McKenna (I know) back in the 1990s, one of his wild hypotheses was that the Harmaline compounds in Ayahuasca had some transformative effects on DNA. Maybe this is what helps alter DNA in the way that the Cs referenced.

:cool2:

Wow, this is really interesting info, thank you Mr. Premise. :)

I have been experimenting with growing and curing tobacco for three years, with mixed success. In a tobacco growing forum, one post highly recommended the book Tobacco Culture, by Bill Drake. Drake was the original founder of American Spirit Tobacco, but was eventually pushed out when the company grew and he protested some policies that were introduced by the suits. The company's original mission was to employ Native Americans to produce natural heirloom ceremonial tobaccos, organically, as had been practiced for centuries, on their own land, to provide them a good source of honest income - and to make available to American smokers for the first time, real tobacco, not the watered down product that is now available, which only delivers enough nicotine to keep one "addicted", but not the level of enjoyment that required much less consumption.

I ordered this book and am currently about 3/4 of the way through. Last night I began the part about manufactured cigarettes and the US tobacco companies. I felt the need to post this now, since what was revealed in this book was so much worse than what we already know to be true. In essence, if you are smoking cigarettes manufactured in the US... STOP IMMEDIATELY!!!

Most of the true leaf tobacco grown in the US, where there are regulations in place to restrict the types and quantities of insecticide, herbicide and fertilizers used, is shipped to Europe. This stuff is still toxic, but clean enough for the much higher standards in Europe. Most of what is used to manufacture US cigarettes is not leaf at all. It is a synthetic called "sheet" tobacco. This is made from 3rd world imported scrap (stalks, stems, roots and moldy waste), along with waste product from the wood pulp processing industry. It has very little, if any, tobacco leaf content. The imported tobacco scrap material is heavily tainted with highly carcinogenic insecticides which are banned for any application in the US. There is a loophole in the laws which control the efficacy of imported leaf tobacco, which the tobacco companies exploit. There is no inspection or regulation of tobacco scrap whatsoever, and from this is made your Winstons, Marlboros, etc. This is not to mention the highly questionable ingredients added in the making of the sheet itself. There is no research extant to indicate what these chemicals and toxins do in combination when burned and inhaled, and there is certainly no motivation from the tobacco industry to find out.

From the book:

Many people aren't aware that tobacco products, including cigarettes, cannot be regulated by the US government, or the states, whose Pure Food, Drug and Cosmetic laws are carefully modeled on the federal law, which takes precedence. This means that the health authorities of your state have no authority at all to regulate tobacco products even if you demonstrate to them that there are banned pesticides in those products which are known human carcinogens in the dosages experienced by smokers and their families, and by the public in second-hand smoke. I know this because I live in Texas and I've tried it in testimony before the Texas Department of Health, the Texas Legislature, the Texas Attorney General - the states have no right to regulate cigarettes.

The fact that tobacco products, including some cigarette brands, ceased to be actual "tobacco" products many years ago does not seem to affect their continued exemption, which was based on the original argument that tobacco was neither a food, nor a drug, nor a cosmetic and therefore should be - and was - made exempt from regulation under the Act. They maintain this image with great care, because it enables them to continue to operate under a cloak of secrecy.

[...]

Many of the pesticides contaminating American tobacco products have never been registered in the US, because so few US cigarette brands actually contain American tobacco.. When US brands of cigarettes claim to contain Virginia tobacco, they imply that it has been grown in Virginia, but Virginia-type tobacco is grown worldwide from Bangladesh to Zimbabwe to China, and becomes US cigarettes only after being drenched with unregulated mixtures of insecticides and fungicides in its tropical growing environment. While the leaf portions of this so-called Virginia tobacco must conform to US pesticide regulations, the stems, stalks and trash from processing don't, and many of the chemicals used on tobacco translocate to the stems, stalks and roots.

Drake goes on in great detail to list the toxins present in US manufactured tobacco products. He presents the findings of studies, with regard to each, and their FDA, USDA and other regulatory agency rulings regarding them. He also graphically describes the process of making the synthetic sheet tobacco. It is not comforting information. Winston was the first to employ this, but due to the legal secrecy that protects the tobacco industry from transparency, little is known about which other companies use this process. I think that it would be safe to presume that all of the majors are complicit as profitability is their primary corporate goal.

Drake then relates the legal actions that have been employed against the big cigarette manufacturers, and why they have been only marginally successful. His advice to attorneys representing plaintiffs in these cases has yet to be used in any major class action suits. So far, legal strategies have only gone after nicotine's role in disease, not the adjuvants. This is easily countered by the defendant's legal teams.

There is so much more of value in this book, particularly for those wishing to embark on the growing of their own tobacco. Had I read it three years ago, I would be much further along in my own project. I have been attempting to emulate the flavor of commercially available organic and additive free tobaccos, which are essentially just cleaner, higher quality versions of what are already available, when the more powerfully effective nicotine delivery varieties make much more common sense to pursue.

A great deal of the book is devoted to retelling the oral history of the Native American's growing, curing and smoking practices. Of interest is one story of how for ceremonial smoke, the most powerful part of an already potent strain, was processed by a tribe of the plains. The bud of the blooming flower was harvested with the flower portion removed, before seed had begun to grow inside the bud. It was slowly and carefully dried, then a stick with (good old saturated) buffalo fat was heated in the fire. this oil was lightly applied to the dried bud and allowed to be absorbed. If too much of this bud was consumed, the smoker would keel over, much to the merriment of the others in attendance. The guilty party was chided for his lack of restraint.

I cannot stress strongly enough the value of this book and the wisdom it contains for both growers, and those who only enjoy smoking tobacco. It covers almost every aspect of tobacco, and Drake is a very engaging writer who knows when to get out of the way and let the oral histories on the Indians, and the excerpts from the old published professionals relate their observations and lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/Cultivators-Handbook-Natural-Tobacco-Second/dp/1451514646/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308823265&sr=1-1

Be sure to read the reviews. They are quite good. OK, time for a smoke.

Wow, Rabelais, that sounds good! Quite shocking information about the US-Tobacco, I wonder if this situation is still that bad. After you mentioned the book I planed to buy it one day but after your review I really look forward reading it. Thanks a lot.

Aw Geeze... No wonder I think commercial cigarettes taste like paper.!.!.!

I want to smoke but I just do not trust any labeling of "organic". That selfishly greedy "other" race of humanoids are probably circumventing any truth in labeling laws. If there are any real meat to those laws anyway...

Besides growing our own, what the hell can a smoker do? This whole issue just continues to amaze me. The gubement wants us to quit by raising taxes. But our psychopathic law makers need that tax money, but they want us to quit. People are so brainwashed with the twisting of language and the bombardment of disinfo. Can we say this is an excellent example ponerization in action? Where language has been so twisted that black now means white, left now means right, and up now means down...

:umm: :umm: :umm:

Rabelais said:
Winston was the first to employ this, but due to the legal secrecy that protects the tobacco industry from transparency, little is known about which other companies use this process. I think that it would be safe to presume that all of the majors are complicit as profitability is their primary corporate goal.

Thanks Rabelais for sharing. Doesn't Drake refer to any brand that could possibly be genuine? What about this one: Mother Earth Tobacco?

Al Today said:
Aw Geeze... No wonder I think commercial cigarettes taste like paper.!.!.!

I want to smoke but I just do not trust any labeling of "organic". That selfishly greedy "other" race of humanoids are probably circumventing any truth in labeling laws. If there are any real meat to those laws anyway...

If you live in the states, American Spirit Organic is about the only choice. I am really suspect of Santa Fe Naturals (American Spirit) since it was bought by RJR. RJR, along with the relaxing of what is to be called "organic" in the US makes me a little uneasy with anything related to that multi-national corporation.

The other option is to go online and order from the smaller independent sellers of organic tobaccos. This one looks pretty good and is the only one that I could find in the states in the search engine:
_http://www.organic-smoke.com/

They have a caveat:

News-Flash! On June 29, 2010 it will no longer be legal to ship cigarettes or cigarette rolling tobacco direct to inter-net customers.Talk to our friends at _http://rollyourown.com/ about about a possiblle solution

The beast is making it difficult.

After reading Drake's book, I am no longer interested in "additive free" tobacco, since it is likely raised with pesticides. I have a few potted nicotiana rustica on the deck this year. I may convert to the pipe for whatever comes from that. Fortunately we have Yuma Organic over here. It is EU certified organic. When I went to my tabac today, they were surprised that I did not want the American Spirit. All AS offers in France is additive free. I pass.

Oxajil said:
Thanks Rabelais for sharing. Doesn't Drake refer to any brand that could possibly be genuine? What about this one: Mother Earth Tobacco?

Mother Earth looks very good, but as far as I can see it is only sold in Canada.

Well, from a risk mitigation perspective, you are better off smoking additive free than commercial, whole leaf additive free than just additive free, and certified organic over those.

I wonder if we may soon see cooperative farms and curing stations pop up.

Gonzo

Oxajil said:
Rabelais said:
Winston was the first to employ this, but due to the legal secrecy that protects the tobacco industry from transparency, little is known about which other companies use this process. I think that it would be safe to presume that all of the majors are complicit as profitability is their primary corporate goal.

In the U.S., you can mailorder Kentucky Select as discussed above. They sell an organic dual-purpose pipe/cigarette tobacco that is really inexpensive. You can get 5 pounds for $100. It does have some organic agave nectar added (some people think sugar in tobacco increases health risk) and two organic essential oils (prune and vanilla). It is grown by Organic Smoke, Inc.

Mr. Premise said:
Oxajil said:
Rabelais said:

In the U.S., you can mailorder Kentucky Select as discussed above. They sell an organic dual-purpose pipe/cigarette tobacco that is really inexpensive. You can get 5 pounds for $100. It does have some organic agave nectar added (some people think sugar in tobacco increases health risk) and two organic essential oils (prune and vanilla). It is grown by Organic Smoke, Inc.

how does it taste ?

Mr. Premise said:

Yes, I checked that website. I'm not from the US though, but from Europe. If I'd live in the US, I'd probably mail those people and ask if they could also sell organic tobacco with nothing added.

I can be quite picky... so I just ordered 4 packs of Yuma Organic tobacco from this German website: Click I'm wondering if it will have any different effect on me.

I also sent an e-mail to Mother Earth to ask whether they ship abroad, and if so, how much it'd cost.

Mr. Premise said:

Thanks Mr. Premise, I'm going to try their organic pipe tobacco (I keep trying to smoke, but I'm not very good at it...) :)

anart said:
Mr. Premise said:

Thanks Mr. Premise, I'm going to try their organic pipe tobacco (I keep trying to smoke, but I'm not very good at it...) :)

I've been smoking Kentucky Select Dual purpose for a month now. I don't like the initial taste as well as AS but, oddly the aftertaste is better. I don't get as heavy a feeling after a smoke of KS as I do with AS.

I had some concerns about ordering tobacco on the Internet but took a chance since I wanted a alternative to AS. Big Brother hasn't knocked on my door yet at least.

I tried Pueblo tobacco when I was in Europe last year. Wish I had brought more back. Really good.

No wonder people get sick smoking major brand cigarettes! They sell crap like this for human beings to consume. They just don't give a damn about what it does to people if makes them money. I know I should have ceased to be shocked by the depth of this kind of corruption.

Mac

anart said:
Mr. Premise said:

The Kentucky Select is quite good - I'm smoking it now. A rolling machine and some good papers makes for a great, long lasting smoke. And 5lbs lasts a loooong time. At rollyourown.com (I think) there is another good one listed under "smooth pipe tobacco", GH Gold - it is US tobacco that is shipped to UK for curing/finishing. It's also quite good but not organic.

Edit: And meant to say thanks to Rabelais for the info - I'm passing it on and getting the book!

Back
Top Bottom