Smoking is... good?

Pete said:
lennybruce said:
Something amazing happened quite recently. There was a thread posted on Facebook by B.G. discussing the causes of harmful effects of smoking. It was generally agreed that the chemical additives that kept your cigarette burning smoothly, or alternatively caused the cigarette to smoke itself, were possibly more dangerous than the tobacco itself. Astonishingly, very soon after that thread posted my Silk Cut started to go out if I did not pull on it. Is this the influence of B.G. and SOTT or just coincidence I wonder? Either way notice has been taken by the manufacturers which cannot be a bad thing. Well done! :D

Most likely that was the effects of the FSC (fire safe chemical) that they have added to all brands within the US and some other countries. If you check the barcode on your box you might notice it.

how can we notice it on the barcode ? a special number arrangment ?

Jason (ocean59) said:
Pashalis said:
how can we notice it on the barcode ? a special number arrangment ?

In the U.S., I believe there is a designation of FSC by the barcode.

Yes, that's what I meant. Usually there is an FSC typed somewhere near the barcode and that designates the extra chemical included.

Many countries have a self-extinguishing time requirement by law, meaning that if you want to sell cigarettes in most countries, you have to ensure they stop burning on their own within so many seconds, often requiring flame retardant chemicals added to the paper.

Interestingly enough, I think the industry fell victim to their own devices. They had added accelerants years ago to make cigarettes burn faster, so you have to buy more.

I don't think clean tobacco has the same issue and tends to self-extinguish fairly quickly.

Gonzo

Jerry said:
SAO said:
Anyone smoke black and milds, swishers, jewel sweets, cigarellos, and other small flavored cigars? Lately I've been smoking more of those, and I really like'em. Everyone always says that cigars are not "supposed" to be inhaled but I don't see why not, the only questionable part that I can think of is the fruity flavoring in the paper.

Hi SAO,

I smoke cigars and prefer them. They offer a deeper nicotine effect and are without FSC crap. I inhale them too, with the stronger ones I first blow out half then inhale the rest.

You may like to try Backwoods Mild and Sweet - they're entirely tobacco - and are what my wife smokes regularly.

I tried one of the Backwoods unflavored today. Has a decent taste. One thing I like about cigars is I really feel I get a good fill of nicotine. Very satisfying.

Also tried Black and Mild. They have flavor I can't quite place, almost chocolatey. Ashton cigars are good too, but a little pricey.

Mac

SolarMother said:
Back to cigars for a minute...
I prefer them too. I pinch the filter off making the draw smoother, and the tobacco is not harsh at all. The cigar looks like a ciggie.
As mentioned, no FSC in the paper and a sweet smelling full flavor tobacco.
And, the brand I smoke, "Supreme Blend Cigar," is cheap! Can be found in shops for $2.10 a pack, or easier to get online for $15 a carton. :cool2: :cool2:

I asked about these at the discount tobacco shop, they didn't have them. I'll check at the regular tobacco shops. They are available on the Internet but I'd rather try a pack before buying a carton.

Do you order them online? If so what source?

Mac

Doctor's diary: smoking and nicotine can alleviate some ailments
There's a 'smokers’ paradox' in that nicotine does have some therapeutic benefits.

The once-unimaginable prospect of a smoke-free society beckons, and already the ban in pubs and restaurants and other public places seems as uncontroversial as the drink-driving law or the compulsory wearing of motorcycle helmets. Still, the “smokers’ paradox” of the substantial therapeutic (or preventive) benefits of smoking should not be overlooked.

The lengthening list of such conditions includes the bowel disorder ulcerative colitis, aphthous ulcers of the mouth, several unpleasant-sounding skin ailments and the gynaecological complaints of uterine fibroids and endometriosis.

And, recently, researchers at the University of Paris have discovered that the protective effect of nicotine in Parkinson’s disease is due to its stimulating the neurotransmitter dopamine in the midbrain. Those wondering whether they might benefit don’t even have to take up smoking, as, presumably, nicotine patches have a similar effect.

_http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthadvice/jameslefanu/8839701/Doctors-diary-smoking-and-nicotine-can-alleviate-some-ailments.html

And all this good news about the health benefits from smoking seems to receive as minimal press coverage as possible.

For fellow forum members and smokers in the New York City area, there's a new-ish place to get your fix:

http://www.islandsmokes.com/

There's an article about them in this week's New Yorker. They're big on the natural/organic angle and have a link on their front page to the Wikipedia entry on cigarette additives:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes

Apparently they get around some of the severe tobacco tax impositions by having a rolling machine inside the store where people roll their own cigarettes before buying them. Not surprisingly, the city is trying to shut them down for daring to use loopholes like these without being a huge politician-buying mega-corporation. I plan on checking them out soon.

Jason (ocean59) said:
Take a look at these lists, it should clear up any misconceptions that these mass-marketed sticks are any more tobacco than Doritos are corn on the cob (I know, I know, bad example). Combine that list with all the other discussion here (especially fertilizers and FSC papers), and the answer is obvious IMO.

_http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/cms/Products/Cigarettes/Ingredients/Non_Tobacco_Ingredients/default.aspx?src=top_nav
_http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/cms/Products/Cigarettes/Ingredients/Tobacco_Flavor_Ingredients/default.aspx?src=top_nav

I remember going to this website about 10 years ago, and counting the number of ingredients listed - it was over 800. Now, the list is down to only a couple hundred. I seriously doubt they just stopped using the rest, but more likely for whatever reason they don't need to give as complete a list anymore.

Edit: Here is another interesting example from RJ Reynolds. If you click to see the ingredients for Camel non-filters, you will see at a minimum the following compounds are still added:

_http://www.rjrt.com/brandcompounds.aspx said:
Water
Glycerol
Brown Sugar
Propylene Glycol
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Sucrose
Cellulose Fiber
Cocoa
Licorice
Diammonium Phosphate
Ammonium Hydroxide
Natural & Artificial Flavors

It reminds me of Primal Body Primal Mind statement that smoking raises insulin level! (N.Gedgaudas makes no difference between commercial and natural tobacco here)

I found a good offer in a magazine from American Spirit. You can get 2 pouches (or packs, but they would be FSC) for 2 dollars. I would use it, but my state is the only one that outlaws these offers from tobacco companies, so if you live in the U.S. but not Mass., one person can use this offer once a year. So, first come, only serve! Promo Code 42197. Redeem at TryAmericanSpirit.com

2 packs for 2 dollars? Wow, what a great deal.!.!.! Someone take this up.!.!.!
I'm all stocked up with natural tobacco. I've been smoking A.S. cans of roll your own.

I'm waiting for a "peace" officer to look into my car ashtray and provide me a laugh in proving they are cigarettes, and not illegal roach contraband smokies...
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I'm still working on my issues with autoritay...
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

I had started a thread in services, but it was suggested that perhaps I should post in this one. I was not sure when I first posted.

Anyway, I found a really good company to work with down the road from me that has several locations. Here is my post:

This company is mainly in the Southeastern United States, but there is one location in both CA and NY. I have been using them for two months now. All organic tobacco. I just went in and told them what I used to smoke and they rolled me a comparison to try. No chemicals, no additives, no preservatives and no fire safe paper. I have been getting 4 cartons for a little under 90.00 total including tax.
-www.ciggysforless.com

This is my other thread if mods think one should be removed - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25964.0.html

Wanted to toot the horn for danish cigar brand 'Petit / Sumatra" by E.Nobel, they are small cigars (perhaps a cigarillo?), rich taste and 100% tobacco, no papers of course. I've also been smoking the belgian brand "Che" which seems to be the only commercial filter cigarette no-additive brand without FSC in them (at least on the danish market), they taste very good, actually like a cigarillo but they smoke very fast.

I finally got around to trying the organic Kentucky Select a couple of days ago from rollyourown.com. As others have reported, it is a bit sweet, but definitely a much lighter feeling on the lungs than American Spirit, even though it is a darker/thicker cut tobacco. I also don't seem to smoke nearly as much of it, and feel more satisfied in general (currently smoking unfiltered ciggies with Skunk brand papers). I'll definitely be making the switch, and saving up for the 5 pound $100 deal. For smoking on a budget, this really seems to be the way to go. Mixing some 50/50 cigs is also helping with the transition to a different brand.

Also not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I noticed that their forum offers a coupon for $5 off your first order just for signing up. This helped to offset the cost of shipping for me, so I wanted to pass it on.

Back
Top Bottom