'Survivors' by Terry Nation British TV series 1975-19

SeekinTruth said:
I'm watching it now. I'm up to episode 3 of series 1. I had watched part 1 of episode 1 when this thread was first posted and never got around to continuing.

It's already pretty unnerving. And the beginnings of ponerization are already being foreshadowed. I'll continue watching in a few minutes.

"Unnerving" is a good description. We actually really don't even LIKE watching it - it is not a pleasant experience, but it is certainly instructive.

Laura said:
What is most interesting about it is the way the people behave in response to it. The series appears to be trying to highlight this in little dramas. It's definitely a 70s thing, so the production values are not what we are accustomed to nowadays, and they avoid any direct unpleasantness in terms of physical violence which is fine by me. What is most interesting is the script and plot in reference to Political Ponerology and imagining similar things at different points in history which help to explain how things got the way they are today.

Modern society has turned people (non psychopaths as well) into self-centred robots who have little or no care or trust in others. This is particularly evident in big cities where a totally materialistic culture is prevalent. On top of that, we also have to take into account the 'fear of the unknown' factor regarding the mass spread of a plague. People will start panicking about what to eat and drink, if there will be anything left, and who to approach. IMO, a plague would further the current process of turning people into characteropaths tenfold.

Thanks for sharing Pob and thanks for mentioning the series in the other topic Laura.

It is really an interesting watch and kind of in every new episode a new character (disorder) can be seen. It is well acted, especially the suspicious beggar type ("stay away from every human"), who lived on the hill, played really well imo.

And it raises many questions. The monologue of the teacher was very good, what we are actually able to do with our bare hands, since everything can be bought and it got worse eventually with the years.

A cool mind would in these cases of emergency be needed and as Laura wrote psychological knowledge about oneself and others as well. Well, people you can really trust.

And these are about 38 episodes in total, so might gonna take some time to watch it (Series 1 and 2= 13 episodes, Series 3= 12 episodes).

After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I began watching the 2008 remake online. The original production was not available. It seemed pretty formulaic in the beginning, and with some glaring production flaws... like all of the roads perfectly clear after a total collapse of civilization. It did get down to business after the 1st season, 2nd episode, but still way too much Hollywood TV influence for the BBC. I just ordered the original 1975 box set today. This thread suggests that it should be much better. There seems to be too much gloss on the remake, although there is some excellent photography of the English countryside.

Rabelais said:
After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I began watching the 2008 remake online. The original production was not available. It seemed pretty formulaic in the beginning, and with some glaring production flaws... like all of the roads perfectly clear after a total collapse of civilization. It did get down to business after the 1st season, 2nd episode, but still way too much Hollywood TV influence for the BBC. I just ordered the original 1975 box set today. This thread suggests that it should be much better. There seems to be too much gloss on the remake, although there is some excellent photography of the English countryside.

What I like in this series is the simplicity in it that give room to a profound thinking of the problem. The acting of the actors, that are very good. The situations, that are very realistic. You have the sensation to be there, the possibility to live the situation and meditate about it. The new version is very trendy, for young people, very superficial. As you said: roads completely clean, new cars and extremely clean, and actors very so, so. I have the series, the original one, at home so today I start again to see them.

The original 1975 box set and book arrived today, started to read, and will start looking at the dvd. Seeing the actor's faces on the cover, I do recall seeing it, but remember nothing! :) I recall that the 2008 version tapered off somewhat with the 'medical research'.

Prodigal Son said:
The original 1975 box set and book arrived today, started to read, and will start looking at the dvd.

I just finished the book and enjoyed reading it. It does a better job of describing how the infrastructure decays and contains little nuggets such as winter being a very popular time because it allowed easier foraging in cities with less risk of infection.

The ending is quite different though and more realistic.

Minor Book-spoiler alert:

The community come to the conclusion that the cold winters in England only enable them to grow food 6 months a year. They need a longer growing season in order to move away from just surviving to building up a stock of reserves. Interesting speculation that the reason the Roman's and Greeks were able to build their empires was because of a favourable climate. This leads them to discuss how they could go about relocating to Italy...

Prodigal Son said:
2008 version tapered off somewhat with the 'medical research'.
I thought 2008 (which I was following on BBC few years ago) was much more engaging and easier to digest then 70's version, today I tried watching the 70's version but gave up after few episodes as I couldn't stand bad acting and dragging story :(. I agree with the description unnerving.

I saw the 2 firsts episodes. Very good. I love the characters, everyone very interesting. It is a sad situation, all these deaths and to be suddenly alone. Some disturbing people, that wanted to control. Others that are afraid, unable to survive alone... And really good talking about our civilization: we go to the moon but don't know how to do things.

What I see also that people are not prepared to what happened. It came so suddenly and so fast and nobody was prepared for this new situation.

H.E. said:
Prodigal Son said:
2008 version tapered off somewhat with the 'medical research'.
I thought 2008 (which I was following on BBC few years ago) was much more engaging and easier to digest then 70's version, today I tried watching the 70's version but gave up after few episodes as I couldn't stand bad acting and dragging story :(. I agree with the description unnerving.

In this case, H.E., I think you should do what "It" doesn't like and persist. The acting is not bad, for the time, what is important is the content. As I understand it, the newer version has traded content for slickness.

Just watched the first episode (the old version). Phew, kick started some serious thought processes! All sorts of things going through my mind right now, like should I start learning Morse code...etc.

I don't think the acting was bad, just different from the 'slick' acting of today. ;)

h.e. said:
Laura said:

In this case, H.E., I think you should do what "It" doesn't like and persist. The acting is not bad, for the time, what is important is the content. As I understand it, the newer version has traded content for slickness.

Plus, it was filmed in the seventies! Get into it! Get into the clothes, the cars, the houses, the hairstyles - all that seventies style - it can be really entertaining if you allow it to be. Or, you can be like a grumpy old woman and not watch it since it's not "slick". ;)

It's pretty disturbing/harrowing to watch this series, even though they don't portray a lot of physical violence, etc. and how bad things could really get with pathological behavior on the part of some of the survivors. Very thought provoking and instructive though. I'll probably finish series 1 today and continue on to series 2.

I've been thinking about the possibility of large swaths of infrastructure of our "civilization" being taken out for the last few months. Watching this has given some ideas I hadn't thought about. I'd just been thinking of having backup generators, solar panels, wind power, etc. Also generating HHO gas (AKA "Browns gas"/hydroxy) with whatever sources of electricity in the back up systems (preferably a DC source) to then use in place of / mixed with hydrocarbons. But bits of infrastructure / fuels may survive for a while -- then be up for grabs by scavengers?

Also being on a Ketogenic Diet really has SO many advantages. Those of us that have been on the KD for a while may be the best prepare to face these kinds of situations. Will be watching and thinking some more.

anart said:
h.e. said:
Laura said:

Plus, it was filmed in the seventies! Get into it! Get into the clothes, the cars, the houses, the hairstyles - all that seventies style - it can be really entertaining if you allow it to be. Or, you can be like a grumpy old woman and not watch it since it's not "slick". ;)
I get what you are saying, I don't have anything against 70's it was mostly the "rhythm' that got me, I'll try and give it another go.
What doesn't help is that i already saw later version which makes me impatient with the story :(

H.E, the pacing gets better as it goes along, FWIW. The first episode takes a while to set everything up. But later, nothing seems to be dragging for me. It actually packs a lot into each time slot/episode. Try to get into it and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom