'Survivors' by Terry Nation British TV series 1975-19

H.E. said:
I get what you are saying, I don't have anything against 70's it was mostly the "rhythm' that got me, I'll try and give it another go.
What doesn't help is that i already saw later version which makes me impatient with the story :(

Believe me, I don't "LIKE" watching this series; it's a form of conscious suffering. Sometimes it feels rather like looking at some horrible cancer under a microscope: fascinating but chilling. It's horrifying to see people who are basically decent and idealistic, doing stuff that is so evil out of their good intentions.

SeekinTruth said:
H.E, the pacing gets better as it goes along, FWIW. The first episode takes a while to set everything up. But later, nothing seems to be dragging for me. It actually packs a lot into each time slot/episode. Try to get into it and see what happens.

Also, don't forget, is British, the actors are British and they play like British actors. :D Sometimes is very theatrical with a different sort of expression very different of American actors. Even if it happens during the 70 I think this program is very actual and surely at that time very in advance of his time.

loreta said:
Also, don't forget, is British, the actors are British and they play like British actors. :D Sometimes is very theatrical with a different sort of expression very different of American actors. Even if it happens during the 70 I think this program is very actual and surely at that time very in advance of his time.

Nothing wrong with that, most of my favorite actors are Brits.

Thank you for your encouragements guys, I will surely give it another go and try to get into it.

I'm currently watching the series too.
I agree that it makes you think about such things, but I think in reality in a situation like this, things will be much more complicated and difficult then it is depicted there!

So far I've watched the first two episodes (the original from the Seventies), and I find the program very well made and extremely unsettling. I just kept thinking this might be exactly what the future has in store... I'll continue one episode every couple of days or so, it's too overwhelming otherwise - it takes a while to process. I'd be interested to know how the show was received when it was first broadcast.

Got to watch the first episode on my phone while waiting for my husband at a dr's appointment. Very interesting and reminded me of a tv show that was on last year called "The Colony" (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colony_(U.S._TV_series)). This one was very scary to watch because it felt very realistic to me.

Will continue to watch when I can. These kind of shows even though are difficult to watch, I feel are a good way to determine the issues and needs people would face and have to overcome.

Gawan said:
The monologue of the teacher was very good, what we are actually able to do with our bare hands, since everything can be bought and it got worse eventually with the years.

This is so true, but even scarier for me is all the nuclear power plants that will go off line and the cooling system stops and all those uranium rods heating up. Will there actually be a world for survivors? :shock:

I've got it on order and am looking forward to the seventies culture part of it at least, as I was in my twenties during that time, so that era is what is still "normal" to me on some level. (She says as "geezerhood" takes over :lol:)
Will be joining the discussion shortly.
shellycheval

I haven't watched the series yet (this time around), but finished reading the book yesterday, and recalled how appalling people can be in the scenario situations to survive for themselves. What did come across, as well as the need for shelter, warmth and food/fuel, was the need to live were the 'light months' are considerably longer than the 'dark months', ie, moving south, and of the need for rearing and tending livestock. The main lesson though, was of the need to pass on the next generation the skills involved in doing the basics - making tools, clothes, sewing, etc - in fact, all of the things that we tend to take for granted in this 'technological world'.

I watched up to Survivors' Epi 4 Pt 1/6 'Corn Dolly' Series 1 last nite. I haven't watched a film for ages but saw how important it was I stayed up till 1.30am as needed to know what happened next. Very scary because people are so unpredictable in such cases - worse than now. I kept imagining worst case scenario in each incident.

I feel however scary this is it will only be a patch on what will happen in reality The worst being there is noone you could trust - everyone is out for their own survival no matter how they come across. Without the benefit of inner training and our psychology /ponorology knowledge you are toast unless very lucky.

You also have to out-smart, out-guess psychopaths and sociopaths so essential to know their traits - but it is not writen on their foreheads.

Weapons are also the big danger, trigger happpy, shoot first. Women targets if isolated so are all. Finding the right group or even a group will be so difficult assuming you survive long enough along the search.

Would rather nuclear that plague as millions of decomposing bodies, animals, and nobody to bury them.
A ticking time bomb as noone there to regulate and deal with reactors etc.

Practically everything would be contaminated in some way or other. Also nowhere to hide really. Hunting and gathering any animals together would be a priority while everyone is still raiding what is still available. But what to feed the animals on unless you have much space - depending on what climate you are in too.

Can see why i wanted to build an intentional community now more than ever - but also a sitting target if no ways to defend yourself. Possessing arms is against our principles, so most probably even shooting in self defence be aligning with the ponorology by using a weapon? Being true to your essence would be a constant and demanding task - though difficult even now., Will be very confusing.

Those who are not prepared mentally and physically will waste valuable time and resources by being totally disorientated too. I liked the symology of the mother who was looking for her son, burning her house in realisation that it is the end of life as she knew it! But..... am sure there are more twists to come.

The teacher's speech was the most important IMHO. It was a real eye opener on just how dependent we hav become and how so far removed we are from hunter gatherers who made everything themselves.....and this is called 'progress'. I cannot think of any piece of technology that would last to be useful. Much short term thinking.

Important to have a plan for eventualities (this film is a must watch, and any similar). Living in the NOW yet following a plan for sanity.

Chances are families would be scattered about yet getting anywhere could be dangerous or impossible except by foot. The country is safer. Don't know why she didn't keep the house to go back to as it was in familiar territory and in the country, with possible provisions and tools till she had foraged/hunted for more sustanance.

Also shows the need for people to be with people - as well as safety in numbers/skill sets. FWIW.

happyliza said:
Can see why i wanted to build an intentional community now more than ever - but also a sitting target if no ways to defend yourself. Possessing arms is against our principles, so most probably even shooting in self defence be aligning with the ponorology by using a weapon? Being true to your essence would be a constant and demanding task - though difficult even now., Will be very confusing.

This is an issue in particular that I have been pondering. Would carrying a weapon be strictly 3d fearful thinking, or would it be taking a valid precaution in an evil world? You wouldn't go into a jungle naked.

Perhaps If we can truly have faith in the universe and make decisions based upon what we See, then it will never come to a violent confrontation. But with so many pathological people out there, I would want to defend myself and those I was with. If somebody wants to kill or hurt you/your companions, or otherwise violate your free will, is it not in your best interests to stand your ground? I guess it all depends on who you are and what your intentions are. Is violence an acceptable way of dealing with those that are violent towards you?

My view of the third law is that nothing is intrinsically 'wrong', if it is a necessary step in order for you to follow your destiny and not be obstructed. However, from what I have seen, the attitude of a lot of long time members here seems to be totally against guns, violence etc in any situation. I would greatly appreciate input on this topic if anyone has views to share, as I feel that I lack understanding in this area.

Or, you can be like a grumpy old woman and not watch it since it's not "slick".

Oh, I've got the 'grumpy old woman' bit down. ;)

I've added the series to our Netflix dvd list, as its not on instant watch. I'll watch it for the Signposts.

As a rule, I don't like 'post apocalyptic' movies or series, because they give such free reign to psychopaths, and push that kind of thinking.

Would people who've suffered and survived such horrible things, upon seeing another human being, go out of their way to hurt them? Really? Wouldn't you be glad to see another person?

I'm a cautious individual, but if we lost 99% of the population, and I saw another human, it would be a relief to see someone alive to me. Sure, I'd be careful, cautious about approaching. But to hurt them or otherwise behave like a thug? No.

Carlise said:
My view of the third law is that nothing is intrinsically 'wrong', if it is a necessary step in order for you to follow your destiny and not be obstructed. However, from what I have seen, the attitude of a lot of long time members here seems to be totally against guns, violence etc in any situation. I would greatly appreciate input on this topic if anyone has views to share, as I feel that I lack understanding in this area.

I hope you are aware of the kinds of attack we have come under through the entire past 11 years since we started actively publishing our material, and then later, when I started doing SOTT every day or so which turned into today's SOTT.

Okay, being aware of that, what the heck do you think I - or anybody associated with me - would respond to that question? Obviously, we are against violence.

But the Cs say again and again: Knowledge Protects, and they mean when it is applied. Nuff said.

Laura said:
Carlise said:

I hope you are aware of the kinds of attack we have come under through the entire past 11 years since we started actively publishing our material, and then later, when I started doing SOTT every day or so which turned into today's SOTT.

Okay, being aware of that, what the heck do you think I - or anybody associated with me - would respond to that question? Obviously, we are against violence.

But the Cs say again and again: Knowledge Protects, and they mean when it is applied. Nuff said.

I have been wondering about this myself as of late, but from a purely self-defense standpoint, i.e. someone breaks into your house with gun in hand to kill you. My interpretation of your reply Laura would more or less seem to be "Fight them without becoming them." Is this an accurate assessment of your statement/view?

I just started watching the 1975 version. It is so scary how fast a seemingly stable situation can collapse. Electricity, communications, transportation, normal life all that we take for granted suddenly melts away.

Having had bad flu several times in life I feel chills and empathize deeply with the victims as depicted. Being very hot yet feeling cold, lungs filled and heavy.

This really brings home to me the situation we may be soon be facing whether plague, cometary strike, economic collapse or all of these at once.

Mac

happyliza said:
Possessing arms is against our principles, so most probably even shooting in self defence be aligning with the ponorology by using a weapon?
That's like saying, "Possessing a carrot is against my principles." :D

Projectile weaponry is part of the scenery of the Far Country. Being STO morphs with each specific situation.

A gun in the hands of a careless child, a gun in the hands of a psychopath, a gun in the hands of a desperate man... are different from a gun in Greg's hands.

Back
Top Bottom