The Hungarian Language: One of the true wonder of the Earth since ancient times

Rob said:
Sorry Shijing,

i didn't finish replying to your 1st post. :-[

That's fine, although I did delete the email address of the John you mention above to protect his privacy, whoever he is. We refrain from posting personal information of any kind here for that reason.

Rob said:
i speak hungarian (like a kid), 'seed' & 'go' etc are literal translations of commonly used words . I've read that term was coined a long time ago, sumer times or earlier. I've saved many dozens of articles by historians so i'll have to dig it out (oh my aching back, lol)

You can post what you find – for now, it seems arbitrary to divide Magyar into mag+yar without some sort of additional evidence to bolster that segmentation. It would be like dividing the name Carmen into car+men, and saying that it meant “automobile people” or something like that.

Rob said:
Hence why i see valid & invalid points made by Israelis, Palestinians, etc etc etc. No side is pure & untainted by a loooong shot. Its the extremists of all sides that cause the problems & the inaction of the moderates that allows their extremists to continue.

Things are a bit more complicated than that – the Israel-Palestine situation is very asymmetrical, and I recommend a search on the forum on that topic (be sure to check out sott.net as well). There is definitely a primary aggressor in that situation, and it’s not Palestine.

Rob said:
hmm, I disagree about the lack of facts, its the lack of 'mainstream' facts i think u refer to. As i mentioned previously relying purely on established science will achieve slow & limited discoveries at best. It takes unconventional postulations to make quantum leaps which science can then test according to the new theories.

That’s true, and there is much written here on the forum about the failings of mainstream academia. But no, that’s not what I’m referring to, it’s the fact that Athanasius failed to supply convincing facts, mainstream or otherwise.

Rob said:
Mario Alnei is a recognised Italian academic who substantiates much of the assertions made by hungarians & others, though differs on several respects as well.

I looked him up, and he does have an interesting theory about Hungarian and Etruscan, although I don’t see mention of anything else.

Rob said:
Point 1 is quite possible & there r many academics from many fields who believe so, have a look at the Oriental movement that has very strong evidence opposing the mainstream positions.

I don’t get the impression that there are actually that many, and the evidence that I have seen on this thread so far has been lacking.

Rob said:
Point 2 is possible though i for one do not think it is possible to conclude what language was 1st, the best we can do is discount the younger existing/known languages. But there r several new statistical models out there that purport to explain much in this area. Personally i think language started 100,000+ yrs ago which would not be like any known language in my opinion, but i have read that magyar has seed like construction hinting at it antiquity (evidence coming ;)).

You are right about the bolded part above – saying that Hungarian is the “mother tongue” would be like saying that all mammals descend from horses.

Rob said:
But i have seen accounts by non-hungarians some of which Ath showed that suggest extraordinary qualities of the language. Just because many are 19th c doesnt mean they r wrong.

No, but there are quotes that you can find of this sort about a wide range of languages, not just Hungarian.

Rob said:
I dont know why any more than why i like pizza more than most foods, which btw is the food of the gods.

It may be, but not in the way that you are thinking ;) . Take a look in our Diet and Health section and read about things like gluten and dairy, which are staples in pizza.

Rob said:
Hi Shijing, i'll reply with heaps of evidence tommorrow to your latest post.

That's fine too -- I just wanted to say something I've said to others on this thread, that although it is fine to discuss the connections and finer nuances of Hungarian, its really only a very small piece of what this entire forum is about. I know this is the topic that brought you here, but the principle focus of the forum is on the the Cassiopaean Experiment (including the associated literature such as The Wave and Adventures with Cassiopaea), the 4th Way teachings of Gurdjieff, and detoxification of mind, body and spirit. I'd encourage you to take a look around and try to appreciate the forum in its entirety -- there is a lot more to learn here than what's merely on the history and linguistics threads :)

Rob said:
My strength is logic not science facts. As a business analyst & trouble shooter i dont need to know prooven facts since they r usually not available or reliable otherwise i would not be called in to fix something where the 'experts' have failed, or to increase the efficiency or effectiveness of a system. Logic plus thinking 'outside' not 'inside' the square is far more effective every time. Science is at its best (just like an accountants), where the laws & pricipals r well known & established, they simply plug the round pegs into the round holes. Change their surrounding by introducing new but uncommunicated tax laws & they would fall in a heap. Science us the same, it can only prove what is within its sphere/limits of current technology, but no more.
Hi Rob,
I do not have any knowledge on Magyar culture to participate in the discussion related to it but I have some comments on the text above.
I do not think that your ideas about how science works are objective. To my understanding scientific methods (empirical, rationalistic etc) are utilized in establishing principles and laws (using your terminology) which then form a framework for further investigations in almost any field of study. It starts from a working hypothesis based on available data and/or logic and then if new data comes within that framework that contradicts the hypothesis, then the old hypothesis is discarded or modified to account for it.
Also, there are vast branches of science (theoretical physics, mathematics etc) which are not limited by currently available technology.

I do not know the specific context that you have in mind but still the statement

[quote author=Rob]As a business analyst & trouble shooter i dont need to know prooven facts since they r usually not available or reliable otherwise i would not be called in to fix something where the 'experts' have failed, or to increase the efficiency or effectiveness of a system. [/quote]
is very difficult to reconcile. If there are proven facts then how are they not reliable or available? Also the overall logic that it is unnecessary to understand the facts since experts know the facts and have failed is also faulty imo. It is difficult to go on without a specific context within which this issue can be discussed but I would venture to make a general comment that to have a wholistic solution to any problem in a complicated system, it is imperative to know the real facts pertaining to the problem and the system as a starting point. To think outside the box, one needs to know what exists inside the box in the first place - otherwise how does one know he is thinking outside the box? Some points to ponder.

Hi Shijing,

to matter of history I'll answer your previous questions. :)

Anyway, knowing some basic Magyar (like a 6 yr old unfortunately) I can view transliterated Sumerian texts & find similar sounding & meaning magyar words.

It is possible to do this with any two languages if your criteria are lax enough.

True, but that doesnt mean that my assertion is incorrect. English is my 1st language & i still dont see any similar sounding or meaning words. Yet in Hungarian many not only sound similar but re also pronounced the same way & also have the exact same definition. I am not a linguist so this is the best amateur logic i can provide, with my limited time to research.

I therefore ask if you know of any language with similar sounding AND same meaning words? If not then i suggest if an amateur like me can recognise the words then imagine what experts could do. I read that Tukish, etc has some similarities too even thoughit is debates as well. To accomplish that though i suggest knowing Magyar is a requirement (i know u said its not). The reason i say it is is simple: sumer has been transliterated via western mindset researchers (of Romance language background (roughly speaking)) hence many letters r pronounced differently in Magyar than in English, which distorts the strength of the Magyar-Sumer relationship (if it exists). To illustrate:

"Magyar" is pronounced in English like 'Mag'azine plus 'yar'd(as in back yard).
But hungarians pronounce it thus: Mojor (ie 'Mo'p + 'jo't + then roll the r.
Dad tells me that my pronunciation is woeful & when i listen carefully i am amazed at the nuances & the extreme difficulty of me mimicking them.
BTW, if i take off the nuanses then the pronunciation is very basic, almost primitive like (in my opinon), short root words maybe.

basically, A is pronounced as an O. When u start adding those funny characters on top of each letter that further regulates pronunciation.

Therefore i have seen many transliterated sumer words that are spelt similar to Magyar with the difference often being what i just described.
In short, the are actually pronounced the exact same way, but without understanding Magyar you would not know this & would think the words r close but not exact.
I'll find some that i recognise. It'll take time to assmeble them, so my apolgies.

I am cautious though about making assertions to experts such as yourself because i dont want to sound like an idiot or that i know better than an expert. I know full well that just because something seems obvious to me doesnt mean i am correct. I only want to draw your attention to my opinions to review them plus i want to make sure that you consider carefully logic rather than rely on your mainstream/academic background which may not have covered Magyar & my points. :)

evidence 1:
hmm, cant paste pictures....
ok, i'll paste:

Mr. Clayton’s article starts with the names of the following pharaohs of the 3rd. dynasty, the pictographic representation of their names and the dates of their rule. He also shows King Huni’s statue, which was made of rose granite and resides presently in the Brooklyn Museum in New York State. The names of these rulers and the years they reigned are as follows: Sechemchet 2649-2643 B.C., Chaba[1] 2643-2637 B.C. and Huni 2637-2613 B.C.
In the little table next to the hieroglyphic names, the author also brings their „Horus” (divine) names, which convey the meaning of the names: Sechemchet = Of Great Stature, Chaba = The Appearance of the Shine of the Spirit, and Huni = The Crusher.
The Hungarian equivalent of these names is the subject of another study. I will only mention that the first syllable of Sechemchet’s name is related to the Sicul (Székely) cultic Sz-K word group, like szik (life, seed lobe of a plant), Szikúr (Lord of Life), szikla (rock, cliff), szikár (wirey, tall person), szék (chair, and the seat of a place), zeg-zúg = zigg-zagg. The name of Chaba (Csaba in Hungarian spelling) means Comet according to Adorján Magyar’s explanation, so it may easily be connected with an „appearance of light”. Huni’s name corresponds to its Magyar meaning: a male being (kan), a wedge, a weapon. In Magyar mythology Magor represented the fecund qualities of the Sun, his twin brother Hunor represented the Sun’s destructive powers, which are also necessary to maintain life (like the destruction of germs). It is this meaning the non-Magyar speaking writer of this article also found in Huni’s name.

I'm trying to find the many sites that have the magyar/sumerian comparisons but they r alluding me atm.
The above (if accurate) at least shows what i described earlier.
Cs in magyar = Ch in english, & that Csaba is a common Hungarian name not found in any other language. Consider the likelihood chance causing this this example alone. If chance was present then this & other Sumer names would appear in other languages. My question then is do they? If not, then this alone is sufficient evidence of connection i would imagine unless of course technical reasons discount all examples. So far the only comments from western & European scientists is its just chance which is not a scientific answer at all, especially without any reasoning to back up their negative claim.

More magyar/Sumer names below...

Now consider:

http://www.magtudin.org/Homeland%208.htm
“Chambell, an English researcher, writes that in Upper Egypt, in the city of Karnak on the wall of one of the temples, it is written in hieroglyphs, that in the empire in the reign of the Pharaoh Tutmoses III, there lived a people called the Maghars who were fighting on the side of the Hittites. The hieroglyphic text mentions the cities of Arad, Árpád and Maghara in the land of the Maghars. (Arad is also the name of a Hungarian city which was given to Rumania in 1920 and Árpád the first Hungarian King.) The name Maghar is almost identical to the Sumerian name MAH-GAR and the Hungarian name Magyar. Since the signs of the Magyar runic script most closely resemble those of the Phoenician runic script and Hungarian city names appear in that region, it would indicate that the Magyars lived here at the time of the development of the runic script.”

Please note the words Maghar, MahGar, Arad, Arpad are not only Egyptian/Sumerian words but also Magyar words. This further adds compelling evidence of connection of some form or another. What else can the explanation be? Chance cannot keep conveniently be rearing its head. Add the runic script resemblance to Phoenician & anyone would be hard pressed to deny the links. The assumptions of course are that the names presented have been translated at least roughly correctly, but since that has been done by Westerns & mainstream science that is therefore not a possibility. ;)

What is being presented, & the plethora of evidences i have seen form many different fields of anthropology, archaeology etc etc all present a collective or solid foundation with which to build the case. If only 1 field found links then that would obviously reduce the likelihood significantly to the realm of chance.

But it is interesting that Hungarians can do that, & to some degree other agglutinative speaking peoples.

Since a very large portion of the world's languages are agglutinative, this probably doesn't mean very much.

True, but add this to all the other evidence & the pieces of the puzzle continues to assemble.

You need to also know the culture which is half the key. The language is emotional unlike English and German for instance. An English speaker wont therefore be able to understand that since they do not have a ready reference in English etc.

How do you quantify "emotional" in reference to language?

I class it as words that conveys 'feeling' not just provide terms for feelings. It hard to describe so its best left to the experts because i will have to think about this for a while.

A rough example i can come with for now is: édes anyám (sweet mother (my)) ie 'my sweet mother' conveys nothing but absolute affection, it cannot unlike in english be feelingless. The other variant is just "anyam" my mom, which is a less formal but same emotional character. Anyu = mother, 'am' = my but is not used onits own.

For the time being u may wish to review this qualified persons work which not only answer the above question but also delves into the prehistory of languages:
The Magyar language offers these too, like ó, meaning amazement, bú meaning sorrow. These I will discuss later. For now I will mention that the ó of amazement remained in mankind’s vocabulary as an exclamation of amazement, in Magyar it also became the word meaning ancient.

Organic Magyar Linguistics.
The Untenability Of Present Day Hungarian Linguistics

The author has lived in the U.S.A. since 1956. She was engaged in independent research concerning the Magyar language and ethnography. She audited Prof. Jacobsen’s Sumerian lectures at Harvard University. She utilized Adorján Magyar’s works and the immense material the libraries had to offer. She is founding editor of the bilingual Journal of Hungarian Studies. She lectured in several Magyar forums in the U.S.A: and her writings appeared in Magyar Publications in the U.S.A. and Hungary.
http://www.magtudin.org/Tomory%20Zsuzsa.htm

http://www.nordic-life.org/nmh/rovasEng.htm seems a good example of Magyar Runic writing comparisons.

You do not come across as being very neutral on this topic -- you seem to be rather identified with wanting to see Hungarian as "special" in some sense, in a similar way to the two people you mention above. Please note that, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, Hungarian need not be considered either more important or less important than any other language or culture (lest you consider what I say here as evidence that I have a prejudice against Hungarians).

I agree to a point, but pls do not confuse enthusiasm for bias, the two show outwardly similar characteristics but r not the same. I have both however. ;)
I do identify with it because that is one of my languages. How do you expect me to avoid identifying with it? :huh:

I cant avoid it any more than you can, or anyone, so its no point raising this issue with me when everyone else 'identifies' as well. The fact remains everyone has conscious & unconscious bias in every single aspect of their life. Bias could be preferring pizza to carrots (as i do), but that doesnt mean i think carrots are a worse food than pizza, its just a preference/bias. I call it as i see it, what else can i do? Anyway, i am not intersted in claiming any 'superiority' of the magyar language. That means nothing to me even if it was somehow proven. It wont change my life in any way if it is proven. That is why i dont understand racists or extremists.
The fact remains & it cannot be disputed that Magyar is a very minor studied language in the West/Europe & elsewhere. That can have no positive effect, only negative.

I took a look at what you linked here, and while parts of it are interesting, the linguistic argumentation is very amateur. There may yet be interesting connections between Hungarian and other languages or cultures that have yet to be uncovered -- even Sumerian -- but in order to do so, the research will need to be much more rigorous than what Botos puts together.
I cant comment on how amateur it is, but i agree with you that more research needs to be done by the experts. That's all i am saying really. Trying to present enough evidence even if amateur to pique the interest of people such as yourself to figure it out for yourselves. My opinions may be right, but so what? It means nothing in the scheme of things. Academics must research research research.

Thanks for reviewing this Shijing & everyone. :)

My apologies Shijing & eveyone,

i must admit i was a bit confused about the focus of this forum with such a wide variety of topics, yet i have seen that on other forums so didnt think too much about it. Yes i am into nutritian, health, spiritual life, etc etc so will read your suggestions asap.

in that case i will cease to discuss Magyar topics if people r not interested.

thx for your patience. :)
rob

Rob said:
My apologies Shijing & eveyone,

i must admit i was a bit confused about the focus of this forum with such a wide variety of topics, yet i have seen that on other forums so didnt think too much about it. Yes i am into nutritian, health, spiritual life, etc etc so will read your suggestions asap.

thx for your patience. :)
rob

It's not that no one is interested in the topic. Shijing and Obyvatel make some good points. I think Obyvatel pointed to the crux when he said:
To think outside the box, one needs to know what exists inside the box in the first place - otherwise how does one know he is thinking outside the box?

Hi Rob, just a quick note before I have to head out the door --

Rob said:

It is not that I (or we) aren't interested, I was merely suggesting that you not stay focused exclusively on this thread. Please feel free to continue to post here, and I didn't mean to discourage that -- I just wanted to encourage you to actively take a look at all of the other things available on the site since this topic is auxiliary to some of the more central themes of the forum.

Hi obyvatel,

I do not think that your ideas about how science works are objective. To my understanding scientific methods (empirical, rationalistic etc) are utilized in establishing principles and laws (using your terminology) which then form a framework for further investigations in almost any field of study. It starts from a working hypothesis based on available data and/or logic and then if new data comes within that framework that contradicts the hypothesis, then the old hypothesis is discarded or modified to account for it.
Also, there are vast branches of science (theoretical physics, mathematics etc) which are not limited by currently available technology.

My ideas are simply my observations of science in practice, rather than its ideal state. You are correct in your description of science, & I am often defending science when its derided (so to speak) by uneducated people, but other times i attack science when scientists attack the esoteric or the as-yet unproven just because their colleagues having given the theory their seal of approval. In essence what i am saying to both groups is that the facts purported by science is based on solid logic but the humans that apply that logic have human based limitations. In other words there is room for both science & theory (whether the theory is accepted by science or not).

If there are proven facts then how are they not reliable or available?
By proven i mean established & accepted by the SME's & industry. They may be reliable but not as efficient or effective as it could be. Or they may institute work around fixes to compensate for the problems. I come along & view the problem without preconceptions then discern what the stakeholders want, look at the current situation, then determine the best solution irrespective of conventional wisdom. I do not limit myself to what has gone b4. i consider the best available conventional options then go further & think creatively using all the fields of knowledge at my disposal. Usually the SMEs rely on their own field of expertise to provide answers. And that may not be enough. When that occurs i am called in & harness things i have seen all the way back to childhood. I look at nature as a huge source of inspiration, documentaries, biology, history, finance, IT, quantum physics, spiritual concepts, esoteric, the list goes on. That provides greater flexibility & options.

the overall logic that it is unnecessary to understand the facts since experts know the facts and have failed is also faulty imo.
I didnt explain myself eloquently enough. I meant that while the existing knowledge pertaining to an issue is important to know, unfortunately that knowledge may never have been known or was lost or by the time i see it is unreliable for any number of reasons. Hence i review the situation from the beginning to ascertain the 'facts' & move on from there rather than relying exclusively on current knowledge of the SMEs which may be tainted or just wrong.

To think outside the box, one needs to know what exists inside the box in the first place - otherwise how does one know he is thinking outside the box?

I agree in principle, its just that in practice if you look for the best solution you dont have to examine too closely the current faulty or inefficient system. It depends on the circumstances of the system. If it is highly complex & hemorrhaging thoughout its occasionally quicker (& cheaper for the client) to just go straight into designing a new solution having undertaken a less than thorough examination of the existing system.

In fact, in certain situations, where technical problems have evaded a brigade of engineers for instance it generally require no examination of past attempts which may only confuse or muddy the waters. I have heard of troubleshooters that operate similar to me where they will be shown an engineering problem then after a night of sleeping on the problem draw a rough diagram of the equipment/solution that their subconscious or whatever constructed while they were asleep. The engineers then review the drawing & use it to develop or prototype the solution. The troubleshooter will not be an engineer & thus has little or no understanding of engineering. This is an example of not requiring any knowledge of whats in the box, just a problem definition.

All the best. :)

Hi Shijing / truth seeker,

thanks for the encouragement. hmm, my time is uber limited ATM but will attempt to view your suggestions (my friends & family have complained over last 8 yrs that i have ignored them due to concentrating on work & renovating/building, so catching up now with them & doing all the pent up chores over that period is mind bogling).

OK, I'll summarise my opinion/goal regarding Hungarian 'stuff' & let you guys guide me as to what to do next:

Point 1
* i understand both Western & Hungarian cultures which intellectual research alone cannot match without significant effort. IE, Joe Bloggs cant just pick up a book on Hungary & learn their culture & expect to know how a Hungarian thinks or feels. All Joe will learn is 'facts'. Joe has to live in Hungary (best option) or live with Hungarians (next best option), or mix with them.
* Neither culture understands the other very well (without signif effort) whereas i (& others like me that straddle 2 cultures) can with no effort.
* That puts me in a reasonably unique position to comment on 'aspects' missed by the 2 individual cultures, as well be able to explain about 1 culture to the other culture in a manner they can understand.

Point 2
* I therefore have (because of simple curiosity initially) reviewed much Hungarian theories about its culture/history, that makes sense to me as a Hungarian, but when i put my Western hat on i realise that it doesn't make sense since there is no applicable western reference or platform available for the westerner to say, 'ah yes, i know what u mean because we have a similar thing'. The Hungarian likewise may not realise why u don't understand. Yes they listen to western words & think they know & think they answer your question, but they use their reference values not western ref vals.

Point 3
The drawback is i am not an expert in Hungarian culture so my ability to truly comment is limited to the most basic claims i read.

Point 4
* I therefore understand some of the Hungarian theories etc because i can recognise what they are saying.
So pls believe me when i say that what i have read is very compelling & not fanciful wishful thinking.
Aspects may be, but not the main thrust.
Forget about inferred or claimed superiority & other distractions which are irrelevant. It is unfortunate that politics has interfered in a negative way which should be kept in mind.

I urge researchers to pay attention to the language but also the culture which is a must. The two travel together far better than individually. I know this without much thought yet to explain it to you is difficult at this level.
A silly example would be: if i write heaps of code in a language u r not familiar with (eg HVB - Hungarian Visual Basic) but not include comments in each module, nor user requirement specification, tech specs, project plan, etc etc which all together makes the understanding of what the code is doing much easier for u than if u just studied a book on the HVB language. Eventually u will figure it out, but in Magyar it would be much harder & longer since coding is exact & known, whereas Magyar represents cultural nuances. Culture is the URS, project plan, etc.

Point 5
I suspect that Ath was trying to highlight this aspect of the Magyar language to you. I cant follow the more advanced aspects since i dont know the language or culture well enough.

Point 6
Now rather than me prattle on any more i propose to simply present links or excepts or whatever evidence format u prefer.
I can then wait for your feedback which may takes months & explain any aspects that may not understand.
or you may simply ask me for further examples or whatever.

A few were presented yesterday.
Take care

Rob :D

http://www.scientiapress.com/findings/torc.htm
Ugric Latin

In this context, the befuddlement of poor Indo-Europeans--whether the Roman plebs or modern students--over classical Latin makes profound sense. Latin has a grammar that clearly places it within the large Ural-Altaic family. In fact, we can be more specific. For a long time various Hungarian scholars have argued that Etruscan was related to Hungarian (Magyar). A book by a senior Italian linguist (Alinei, 2003) refines and buttresses this argument. Alinei finds a remarkable resemblance between Etruscan and ancient Magyar magistrature names as well as similarities in typologies, vocabulary, and historical grammar between Etruscan and Hungarian. Like some Hungarian scholars, he posits a "theory of continuity" that places Hungarians as inhabiting the Carpathian-Danubian area from a much earlier time than other evidence suggests.

But the argument here is that in fact the Trojans/Etruscans were Ugric-speaking cousins of the Hungarians, not Hungarians themselves. The Hungarians continued to live in the steppes north of the Black Sea during the long centuries of the histories of the Trojans, Etruscans, and Romans. The Ugric branch of the Finno-Ugric language group (itself a subset of the Ural-Altaic language family) thus included four languages: the languages of the Khanty and Mantsi peoples of Siberia, Magyar, and Trojan/Etruscan. In terms of grammar, the Ugric branch included a fifth language as well: Latin.

This account of the origin of Latin lends the study of Latin greater value than it would otherwise possess, for a student actually learns the basic grammar of one major group of languages and the vocabulary of another one. It also explains why the phenomenon of vowel harmony, highly characteristic of Ural-Altaic languages, is very rare in French and Spanish, yet can be found in early Latin (e.g., "proxumus" instead of "proximus", Terence, Andria 636) and is common in Italian dialects (from Etruscan influence) and in Romanian (from Magyar influence).

And the pattern went deeper than linguistics. Via this cultural transmission belt, a specific disciplined, aggressive steppe pattern of ordering human society formed the template for much of what came later in the history of Western Civilization. Obviously, the Roman way of doing things remained but one of competing traditions--yet an especially prevalent and recurringly dominant one.

Mario Alinei. Etrusco. Una forma arcaica di ungherese. Bologna: Le edizioni del Mulino, 2003. See also http://www.continuitas.com/etruscan.html . For a revealing side-by-side comparison of Latin and Magyar, see http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/magyarlatin.html . For a further discussion of TORC, including maps and methodology, see Intriguing Anomalies: An Introduction to Scientific Detective Work: http://scientiapress.com/node/pbooks.

Rob said:
I do identify with it because that is one of my languages. How do you expect me to avoid identifying with it? :huh:

I cant avoid it any more than you can, or anyone, so its no point raising this issue with me when everyone else 'identifies' as well. The fact remains everyone has conscious & unconscious bias in every single aspect of their life. Bias could be preferring pizza to carrots (as i do), but that doesnt mean i think carrots are a worse food than pizza, its just a preference/bias. I call it as i see it, what else can i do?

Actually this identification phenomenon (and how to go beyond it) is one of the chief features we try to address in this forum.

The glossary gives a definition of this phenomenon (See below)

If you're interested you can follow the other links provided at the end of the definition (programs, self-remembering, being).

And if you're still interested you can start entering some of those keywords in the search engine.

Here's the glossary entry for "identification"

This is a nearly constant, universal feature of man's psyche. Identification takes place when some external item catches one's attention and one forgets all else. Identification is the mechanism which makes man a machine reacting to any environmental stimulus that may match his arbitrary fancy.

The 4th Way Work seeks to oppose man's automatic and routine tendency to identify with the practice of self-remembering. It is noteworthy that man loses any semblance of self-consciousness, forgets himself, when in a state of identification.

One can be identified with anything: A thought, an emotion, one's vacation plans, any social activity, the more emotionally involving, the greater the likelihood and extent of identification and self-forgetting will be.

An additional problem is that people often think that good work can only be produced in a state of identification. One 'must give the work of art/science/social situation one's all, be passionate,' and so forth, it is said. As the 4th Way sees it, all these perceived qualities of enthusiasm, spontaneity, passion are overwhelmingly mechanical and strip one of the little free will or being one might otherwise possess.

Good work requires being present in the situation, but one cannot be present in any real sense if one is identified, mechanically pursuing some program or other which the situation happens to have invoked. Presence in a real sense is not possible without 'being' and 'being' is not possible if one is purely reacting and lacks internal cohesion.

The terms fascination and confluence are used to indicate a specially strong state of identification.

Hi Rob --

Before I go on, I just want to say that Belibaste has addressed what I consider to be your most important question directly above, and I think its very important to take a look at what he has written.

Moving on...

Rob said:
Yet in Hungarian many not only sound similar but re also pronounced the same way & also have the exact same definition...
I therefore ask if you know of any language with similar sounding AND same meaning words?

Again, it depends on how lax your criteria are. You are welcome to mention examples if you would like, but usually a genetic relationship is only provable if sets of words are involved that have regular and recurrent sound correspondences.

Rob said:
In short, the are actually pronounced the exact same way, but without understanding Magyar you would not know this & would think the words r close but not exact.

That’s still only a one-way proposition, since it is unclear how Sumerian was actually pronounced (!) Again, you are free to give examples – I have a Hungarian grammar, so I can keep up with word pronunciation.

Rob said:
I only want to draw your attention to my opinions to review them plus i want to make sure that you consider carefully logic rather than rely on your mainstream/academic background which may not have covered Magyar & my points. :)

As far as that goes, most of my colleagues would not consider me completely “mainstream”, since I have an active interest in large-scale language phyla such as Nostratic. As a matter of fact, if you are interested in looking for the early roots of Hungarian, you might take a look at that information since Hungarian is included (as part of Uralic) within all versions of Nostratic.

Rob said:
Cs in magyar = Ch in english, & that Csaba is a common Hungarian name not found in any other language. Consider the likelihood chance causing this this example alone.

This example is problematic, because it looks like the author of this article was confused by orthography. What is transliterated here as Egyptian /ch/ is the velar fricative, whereas the Hungarian /cs/ is palato-alveolar [tʃ], so that what is actually being compared is [xaba] and [tʃaba], which doesn’t look nearly so good. (This also overlooks the point that this is Egyptian, not Sumerian, to which Egyptian has no linguistic affiliation).

Rob said:
http://www.magtudin.org/Homeland%208.htm
“Chambell, an English researcher, writes that in Upper Egypt, in the city of Karnak on the wall of one of the temples, it is written in hieroglyphs, that in the empire in the reign of the Pharaoh Tutmoses III, there lived a people called the Maghars who were fighting on the side of the Hittites. The hieroglyphic text mentions the cities of Arad, Árpád and Maghara in the land of the Maghars. (Arad is also the name of a Hungarian city which was given to Rumania in 1920 and Árpád the first Hungarian King.) The name Maghar is almost identical to the Sumerian name MAH-GAR and the Hungarian name Magyar. Since the signs of the Magyar runic script most closely resemble those of the Phoenician runic script and Hungarian city names appear in that region, it would indicate that the Magyars lived here at the time of the development of the runic script.”

This is a similar problem – I am guessing that the /gh/ in “Maghar” is a voiced velar fricative [ɣ], whereas the /gy/ of Hungarian is a palatalized alveolar stop [dj] (the voiced version of [tj]), so that this would actually be comparing [maɣar] with [madjar]. Without recurrent sound correspondences or some other corroboratory evidence, there is no real reason to believe they are related.

Rob said:
Please note the words Maghar, MahGar, Arad, Arpad are not only Egyptian/Sumerian words but also Magyar words. This further adds compelling evidence of connection of some form or another. What else can the explanation be? Chance cannot keep conveniently be rearing its head. Add the runic script resemblance to Phoenician & anyone would be hard pressed to deny the links. The assumptions of course are that the names presented have been translated at least roughly correctly, but since that has been done by Westerns & mainstream science that is therefore not a possibility. ;)

It could, actually – it depends on what they mean in Magyar. As far as the runes go, I don’t see a problem with the accepted history of the Magyar runes, that being that they were borrowed from a Turkic system, which was in turn based on a Phoenician system. Writing systems and conventions can be borrowed across cultural and linguistic boundaries.

Rob said:
http://www.magtudin.org/Tomory%20Zsuzsa.htm

This particular article is unfortunately loaded with poor analysis in the service of wishful thinking. It is clear that she doesn’t understand her own linguistics references, which probably doesn’t bode well for the others.

Rob said:
http://www.nordic-life.org/nmh/rovasEng.htm seems a good example of Magyar Runic writing comparisons.

Sure, but see above about the history of the Magyar writing system (the information in the above article also doesn’t have anything to do with Sumerian).

Rob said:
http://www.scientiapress.com/findings/torc.htm
Ugric Latin

In this context, the befuddlement of poor Indo-Europeans--whether the Roman plebs or modern students--over classical Latin makes profound sense. Latin has a grammar that clearly places it within the large Ural-Altaic family. In fact, we can be more specific. For a long time various Hungarian scholars have argued that Etruscan was related to Hungarian (Magyar). A book by a senior Italian linguist (Alinei, 2003) refines and buttresses this argument. Alinei finds a remarkable resemblance between Etruscan and ancient Magyar magistrature names as well as similarities in typologies, vocabulary, and historical grammar between Etruscan and Hungarian. Like some Hungarian scholars, he posits a "theory of continuity" that places Hungarians as inhabiting the Carpathian-Danubian area from a much earlier time than other evidence suggests.

But the argument here is that in fact the Trojans/Etruscans were Ugric-speaking cousins of the Hungarians, not Hungarians themselves. The Hungarians continued to live in the steppes north of the Black Sea during the long centuries of the histories of the Trojans, Etruscans, and Romans. The Ugric branch of the Finno-Ugric language group (itself a subset of the Ural-Altaic language family) thus included four languages: the languages of the Khanty and Mantsi peoples of Siberia, Magyar, and Trojan/Etruscan. In terms of grammar, the Ugric branch included a fifth language as well: Latin.

This account of the origin of Latin lends the study of Latin greater value than it would otherwise possess, for a student actually learns the basic grammar of one major group of languages and the vocabulary of another one. It also explains why the phenomenon of vowel harmony, highly characteristic of Ural-Altaic languages, is very rare in French and Spanish, yet can be found in early Latin (e.g., "proxumus" instead of "proximus", Terence, Andria 636) and is common in Italian dialects (from Etruscan influence) and in Romanian (from Magyar influence).

And the pattern went deeper than linguistics. Via this cultural transmission belt, a specific disciplined, aggressive steppe pattern of ordering human society formed the template for much of what came later in the history of Western Civilization. Obviously, the Roman way of doing things remained but one of competing traditions--yet an especially prevalent and recurringly dominant one.

Mario Alinei. Etrusco. Una forma arcaica di ungherese. Bologna: Le edizioni del Mulino, 2003. See also http://www.continuitas.com/etruscan.html . For a revealing side-by-side comparison of Latin and Magyar, see http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/magyarlatin.html . For a further discussion of TORC, including maps and methodology, see Intriguing Anomalies: An Introduction to Scientific Detective Work: http://scientiapress.com/node/pbooks.

I think that Alinei’s Hungarian-Etruscan comparison is interesting, and I would be interested in following that up – I don’t know if it is correct or not, but the evidence I have seen could be promising. The author of this article which quotes him is over-reaching by associating Latin, though – it is possible there could be an Etruscan substratum in Italic, but that wouldn’t make Latin genetically related to Hungarian.

Hello all,
I just would like to comment that understanding the culture is just as important as understanding the language. But one is not more important than the other. Even though my bloodline is mixed with the Hungarian genetics, from my mother's side, I do not understand the language but I can relate to their culture as it is similar to the Slovak culture. What people have to understand is that every Eastern European country has adapted something from neighbouring countries, it's like a melting pot over there. My grandma was Russian but she spoke very well in Hungarian as well. She used to swear in Hungarian so I would not understand when I was a kid. Even though she lived most of her life in SLovakia she cooked traditional meals from Russian and Hungary and also Slovak as well. My mother is the same except she does not understand the Hungarian language that well;she was born in Budapest but has a Slovak citizenship. People moved around a lot during World War 2, not so much today, and that is the reason why there is so much variance in every culture in Eastern Europe.

You have a fascinating discussion going on here about the Hungarian language. Many of you are extremely well read in this topic, I should be ashamed of myself for not knowing a little more about the Hungarian language, but you have tought me a lot so I thank you for that. I would also like to add that in order to truly know the culture of any nation, one must live there and experience it. Reading about it is not enough. I had the privilege to have lived in Europe and Canada, and from my experience I think that the reputation of Canada is overrated. I know that there wont be too many of you happy with what I have just said,but that is what I have experienced in my life. When a visitor makes a visit to a country for a holiday, everything seems to look just too perfect, but once that visitor gets a chance to experience the life there for a longer duration then the person has a chance to better understand the way of life in that country. I think every country has something wrong with it and making one look like it is a haven on earth is wrong.

Hi Shijing,

Just quickly tonight, do you think Arpad & Arad were correctly translated from Eqyptian? If so then there ecan be no doubt about the Magyar King Arpad & the city of Arad. Pity i have no idea about the linguistic intricacies & rules you mentioned about the rest. I will look them up. Never did like learning about language grammer at school, so boring. Now i have no choice... :(

Ok, i will find the official lists plus words i know. :)

ciao
Rob

Rob said:
Just quickly tonight, do you think Arpad & Arad were correctly translated from Eqyptian? If so then there ecan be no doubt about the Magyar King Arpad & the city of Arad.

I have no idea about the Egyptian that is mentioned -- I did a search for the scholar in the article you posted, Chambell, who is supposed to have discussed this, but I haven't been able to come up with anything so far on either him or the Egyptian hieroglyphs that are mentioned in connection with him. From what I can tell, the Hungarian Arpads are first mentioned in the 9th century, and Arad in the 11th century. This is, I think, quite a bit later than the Egyptian reference would have to be if it was talking about war with the Hittites. I would be surprised to find a connection there, but the only way to find out is to keep digging and see what other evidence you can find that would either confirm or disconfirm a relationship. I think that saying "there can be no doubt" about this putative connection is far too optimistic, but it does open the door to look for other data.

Rob said:
Pity i have no idea about the linguistic intricacies & rules you mentioned about the rest. I will look them up. Never did like learning about language grammer at school, so boring. Now i have no choice... :(

Sometimes things that were uninteresting in school can be fun if you have the freedom to study them on your own, at your own pace. I hated math all the way through school, but several years ago I started looking at it again for an unrelated reason, and found that I actually really enjoyed math when I could choose what I wanted to study and go at my own pace. It could be true for you with language -- many schools teach language and grammar in a way that is extremely mechanical and boring. I never developed an interest in it until after high school, when I wanted to start learning other languages so that I could help English as a Second Language students that I was assigned to for my college work-study. Once I started studying on my own, I found that it was really fun, and I couldn't get enough. So keep an open mind -- you never know if it might turn out to be better than you expect!

Hi Shijing & anyone else who may be vaguely interested (or terribly bored)... ;)

a lot of the links i've accumulated over the past 3ish yrs r now gone :/. luckily I copied a lot of the info into Word so i'll keep looking for Sumer/magyar words i think r obvious equivalents.

in the mean time:

http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/1997-3/JRNL97B.htm

Not sure about the following since the names for the sungod r written in Magyar which i guess is the english/magyar translation from sumerian??
eg, Sek (S) looks like Szék (H) (being Magyar for seat which i presume means seat in SUmerian as well).

Does Utu (S) mean road? Út (H) means road/street.
Anyway, the site spells it out more succinctly..

http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/96-07/baraeast.html
The Egyptian and Sumerian texts frequently use the following names of their Sungod: Égúr, Székúr, Kerek Úr, Napúr, Õsúr, Magúr, Útúr, Honúr, Szemúr, Égetõ Úr, Vörös Szemû and some at least twenty more expressions. Western scholars who are not familiar with the key-language understand only the Úr suffix of these words which they translate as God. They also believe that as many such words with Úr endings exist, that many gods were worshipped by the ancients. For them there is a God An, God Utu, God Sek and so on. Anyone familiar with the key-language and the ancients' religion will recognize these words as the names of the same Sungod; the ancients stressed one of the Sungod's characteristics and function by a given name. We may compare this practice to the Roman Catholic Church's practice to call God the Father in his creative capacity, the Son is his redemptive function and the Holy Spirit as his sanctifying function. We will fully understand the Sungod's many names if we are familiar with the concepts of the ancients concerning the Sungod. According to them, the sun, this heavenly body is God's visible picture. Since this picture appears round, they name him Kerek Úr (Round Lord). Since the Sun brightens everything and sees everything, like a giant eye another name of his is Szemúr (Occulate Lord). Since his eye is pairless, they call him Egyszemû (One Eyed), according to the sun's color Vörös Szemû (Red Eyed) and since the Sun resides in the sky they also called him Égi Szem or Égszem (Eye of Heavens). When they contemplated its immense heat they called him Égetõ Úr (Scorching Lord) and Sütõ Úr (Shining Lord). They also believed that he is the only Lord in his world so they called him Honúr (Lord of his Home) and Égi Király (King of Heavens). As they saw the apparent motion as he rises in the morning his name then was Ra-Kel (Ra rises), the rising on the eastern borders Kel-Út (The Road of Rising/East) where he sits down onto his chair: Szék-Úr (Lord of the Chair or the Seated/Settled Lord), later on he sits into his chariot and travels the shiny roads of the skies: Útúr (Lord of the Road) and when he finished his daily journey and reaches the west: Nyug-Út (Resting/Western Road) and as he sinks below the horizon: Esút, Este (The Falling/Evening Road, Evening). As we clarify this section of their belief everything becomes clearer and also realize that the ancients whose religion was connected with the Sun were never polytheistic, they only had one God.

http://www.sumerian.org/sumerlex.htm
http://www.hunmagyar.org/tor/controve.htm
http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/1997-3/SZABOZOE.htm (interesting but weird)
http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/96-10/contents.htm

I found the following which based on their poor english is not a western person, ver (blood), iden (yes), ul (sit), godor (ditch/hole).
No need to comment i suppose since who on earth knows aboriginal dialects + magyar (or any other language other than english? would be interesting though if a connection was established. If (BIG IF) this is genuine & correct, then that on its own would leave all prehistorical anthropolical knowledge a confused mess.

hi to you all. i …
hi to you all. i live in australia and studying the aboriginal language, mainly the Gooniyandi dialect and i find a lot of similarity between hungarian and the Gooniyandi dialect. as you should all know that aboriginals has more than 75 thousand years of history. currently the gooniyandi dialect is dying out, its only spoken less than 99 individuals. so here are some words and let me know what you think:
wari = ver
goodroo = godor
jo=igen
ul uru xx
http://www.jaygreentree.com/affinity/the-sumerian-hungarian-language-affinity

Hi Rob --

Rob said:
http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/1997-3/JRNL97B.htm

These comparisons range pretty widely in quality -- the Sumerian comparisons are generally quite a stretch (remember, you need to have reasonable semantic comparisons and regular sound correspondences).

Rob said:
Not sure about the following since the names for the sungod r written in Magyar which i guess is the english/magyar translation from sumerian??
eg, Sek (S) looks like Szék (H) (being Magyar for seat which i presume means seat in SUmerian as well).

Does Utu (S) mean road? Út (H) means road/street.
Anyway, the site spells it out more succinctly..

Do be honest, I am confused about what is what as well -- I get the impression that the words themselves are Sumerian, but if so, I don't think the author provides the Hungarian equivalents as far as I can tell. It is not set up very transparently.

Rob said:
http://www.sumerian.org/sumerlex.htm

This is a handy find :)

Rob said:
http://www.hunmagyar.org/tor/controve.htm

This is potentially interesting, but the author doesn't give any hard language data within the text, so it would have to be hunted down from the sources listed in the bibliography. This is a general problem with most of the sources in the Hungarian-Sumerian area -- they say that there is a lots of lexical comparanda, but I don't see much actually published.

Rob said:
http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/1997-3/SZABOZOE.htm (interesting but weird)

Very all-over-the-place.

Rob said:
http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/96-10/contents.htm

Parts of this look interesting, but there are also things that suggest ethnic/national bias.

Rob said:
I found the following which based on their poor english is not a western person, ver (blood), iden (yes), ul (sit), godor (ditch/hole).
No need to comment i suppose since who on earth knows aboriginal dialects + magyar (or any other language other than english? would be interesting though if a connection was established. If (BIG IF) this is genuine & correct, then that on its own would leave all prehistorical anthropolical knowledge a confused mess.

hi to you all. i …
hi to you all. i live in australia and studying the aboriginal language, mainly the Gooniyandi dialect and i find a lot of similarity between hungarian and the Gooniyandi dialect. as you should all know that aboriginals has more than 75 thousand years of history. currently the gooniyandi dialect is dying out, its only spoken less than 99 individuals. so here are some words and let me know what you think:
wari = ver
goodroo = godor
jo=igen
ul uru xx
http://www.jaygreentree.com/affinity/the-sumerian-hungarian-language-affinity

The comparisons are not very convincing, so we probably don't have to stay up at night worrying about an Australian connection :)

By the way, since you are interested in this general topic, you might take a look at the following two threads in the history section and search for "Sumer" -- you may find it interesting:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14160.0
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13982.0

Back
Top Bottom