The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Pashalis said:
I hope the weather here in south west germany will be warm and sunny the next couple of months.

I'm a bit afraid of the slugs because they love to eat the young tobacco plants :mad:
has anyone an idea what I can do about them ? (I don't want to use chemicals).

Try lining the outer perimeter to your garden with some copper pipe, or sheets, so they have to cross over the copper to get your plants. It might help unless they are swing in from rope. ;D

Weekend Gardner Monthly Web Magazine
How To Kill Snails and Slugs - The Definitive Guide
http://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/snails-slugs.htm

c.a. said:
Pashalis said:
I hope the weather here in south west germany will be warm and sunny the next couple of months.

I'm a bit afraid of the slugs because they love to eat the young tobacco plants :mad:
has anyone an idea what I can do about them ? (I don't want to use chemicals).

Try lining the outer perimeter to your garden with some copper pipe, or sheets, so they have to cross over the copper to get your plants. It might help unless they are swing in from rope. ;D

Weekend Gardner Monthly Web Magazine
How To Kill Snails and Slugs - The Definitive Guide
http://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/snails-slugs.htm

I've experimented with copper and yes they don't like it but the slugs I tested went over it nonetheless

Pashalis said:
I've experimented with copper and yes they don't like it but the slugs I tested went over it nonetheless
That was my experience too. :)

Pashalis said:
the other thing that might become problematic are lice but I think I found a good natural remedy !
a guy on youtube explained how he got rid of the lice on his tobacco in just one day:
he used a strong tabacco (nicotin) solution. I have a bunch of Nicotiana rustica tobacco left, wich has a extrem high nicotin content,

Sorry to be off topic. But is there a place to get nicotina rustica in Europe? I searched the web (and other forum suggestions), but with no luck.

Gawan said:
Pashalis said:
the other thing that might become problematic are lice but I think I found a good natural remedy !
a guy on youtube explained how he got rid of the lice on his tobacco in just one day:
he used a strong tabacco (nicotin) solution. I have a bunch of Nicotiana rustica tobacco left, wich has a extrem high nicotin content,

Sorry to be off topic. But is there a place to get nicotina rustica in Europe? I searched the web (and other forum suggestions), but with no luck.

you mean to plant them (seeds or plants) or the ready tobacco ?

Prodigal Son said:
Pashalis said:

This one idea is kind of interesting. Fwiw.

Day 2: Slug Snub Coffee Grounds Repels Slugs
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCSzzkGU2A&feature=related

Pashalis said:
Gawan said:
Pashalis said:

The tobacco, plant seeds I found too.

c.a. said:
Prodigal Son said:
Pashalis said:

This one idea is kind of interesting. Fwiw.

Day 2: Slug Snub Coffee Grounds Repels Slugs
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCSzzkGU2A&feature=related

I came across the caffeine thing today too. it seems like the slugs don't like caffeine at a certain concentration.
I'll maybe give it a try but I'm afraid that the caffeine could hurt my tobacco plants.

Gawan said:
Pashalis said:
Gawan said:
Pashalis said:

The tobacco, plant seeds I found too.

the posts starting here might help you:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,84.msg245257.html#msg245257

I've ordered mine here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,84.msg245337.html#msg245337
but it seems they don't sell it anymore.

search for "mapacho" on google (the natives name for nicotiniana rustica).
but my experience with the 700g rolled Rustica tobacco was that it was mouldy inside!
that's why I still have much of it and won't smoke it but instead use it against plant lice.

Also here in northern Italy (I'm in Reggio Emilia) the temperatures have dropped. It was just 10 days ago that my daughter was wearing a summer dress and sandals and then it dropped last week and now we're wearing sweaters in the morning and turning on the heat at night! Which I find very strange as I'm always already wearing sandals from the beginning of may but this year I'm still sleeping with my comforter!

Off the subject...seems things are really getting strange with emilia romagna's biggest earthquake this week and the day before there was a bomb attack. Unfortunately today there were other terrible news.....a father that threw his 2 children out the 6th floor window (his boy of 4 years and his baby girl of 1 year) he then tired throwing his wife out but with no avail so he threw himself out. The children died in the hospital and he died there on the spot. He was depressed because of money issues....it's just so awful, I can't help but cry over it. I myself have 3 little children. Just madness, so many suicides going on. Who could throw out their little babies? People are just going completely mad.

I have heard that small jar covers filled with beer will attract slugs.

They crawl into the beer and can`t get out, and they drown.

I haven`t tried it myself, I don`t have many slugs here, but I do know of people that claim it works. It would be the beer scent that attracts them.

I suppose you would get as many jar covers ( or small saucers) filled with beer as you can, and place them around the plants you want to protect.

Laura said:
Yup, it's cold and raining here. The thermometer outside the window says 10 degrees, but I'm sure it is more like 8 or 9 since that thermometer is right next to the house and always shows a couple degrees warmer than it actually is outside. Of course, the weather website says it is 11 which is a lie. And guess what? It's supposed to keep raining and get colder for the next three days at least. I've got all my flowers planted and they are crying for the sun. The apple trees in the farmer's land next door are crying too, I think.

strange thing is, it's meant to be 28 degrees in three days time. Maybe it's the chaotic weather before a 'flip'?

GAIA said:
Off the subject...seems things are really getting strange with emilia romagna's biggest earthquake this week and the day before there was a bomb attack. Unfortunately today there were other terrible news.....a father that threw his 2 children out the 6th floor window (his boy of 4 years and his baby girl of 1 year) he then tired throwing his wife out but with no avail so he threw himself out. The children died in the hospital and he died there on the spot. He was depressed because of money issues....it's just so awful, I can't help but cry over it. I myself have 3 little children. Just madness, so many suicides going on. Who could throw out their little babies? People are just going completely mad.

Those are terrible news! People, weather... everything is weird. You have to be very desperate to do things like that. I am afraid that more and more people will react in madness vue the economic mess they put us in. Because people see clearly that there is no solution to all of this and are unable to cope with this realization. They are many suicides but they don't talk about this in the news. Just when is something like this man and his kids, but what about the others? Terrible. I am very sorry. :(

loreta said:
GAIA said:

Those are terrible news! People, weather... everything is weird. You have to be very desperate to do things like that. I am afraid that more and more people will react in madness vue the economic mess they put us in. Because people see clearly that there is no solution to all of this and are unable to cope with this realization. They are many suicides but they don't talk about this in the news. Just when is something like this man and his kids, but what about the others? Terrible. I am very sorry. :(

I know these suicides are becoming more common, it seems like nearly every day there is a new one and it's almost always over this economic crisis.

Perceval said:
Laura said:
Yup, it's cold and raining here. The thermometer outside the window says 10 degrees, but I'm sure it is more like 8 or 9 since that thermometer is right next to the house and always shows a couple degrees warmer than it actually is outside. Of course, the weather website says it is 11 which is a lie. And guess what? It's supposed to keep raining and get colder for the next three days at least. I've got all my flowers planted and they are crying for the sun. The apple trees in the farmer's land next door are crying too, I think.

strange thing is, it's meant to be 28 degrees in three days time. Maybe it's the chaotic weather before a 'flip'?

Here's the outlook for the UK

on Tuesday 10 days before summer officially starts on June 1, the mercury will rocket to up to 27C in the South - a 17C swing in 48 hours - and 25C in western Scotland, a 14C increase.

Temperatures are yo-yoing from 6C below May’s usual 16C highs to 11C above normal.

Back
Top Bottom