The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

We've been seeing very cool conditions under a cloud bank for almost the last 1-1/2 week's. No complaints.

Though other areas are very warm as many are aware, or are experiencing. Talk about extremes.

A possible mild dusting of la neige in the higher elevations.

K2SKI
When will it next snow in France?
Snow is next forecast to fall in France over the next week, in at least 10 Ski Resorts including Chamonix, La Grave, La Plagne, Montchavin-Les Coches and The Three Valleys.

17th August 2021 Canon City Daily Record
It follows heavy snow last week and there are set to be some of the best conditions of the winter. The country has gone into a snap lockdown so it will be a few days before people can enjoy the conditions. NEW & UPDATE
PUBLISHED: August 17, 2021 at 5:04 p.m. | UPDATED: August 17, 2021 at 5:08 p.m.
17th August 2021
It is not rare for an August cold front to drop snow on Colorado’s mountains, and the incoming cold front could do just that.

The cold front that is approaching from the north is a bit stronger of a storm than what is typically expected for this time of the year. That means that the cold that is associated with it is cooler than what normally occurs too. So when you combine moisture with the cooler than normal temperatures expected above 13,000-feet, you get the chance of seeing snow.

Above the tree line, which sits around 11,000 to 12,000-feet, is quite literally a different climate. That’s why no trees survive at that elevation and an area where the weather gets so extreme every year. It’s truly a fascinating part of Colorado, and it’s no surprise that those dramatic peaks can see snow showers when Denver has temperatures in the 80s.

Previewing the upcoming winter, several inches of snow fell in north-central Alaska Tuesday morning. While this much snow is not expected on Colorado’s mountain tops, a few inches may fall on the high peaks of the Uintah mountains in Utah and the Bighorn, Teton and Wind River mountains of Wyoming. Most areas in Colorado should only see a dusting to an inch or two of accumulation at most and this will be confined to areas above 13,000-feet. The Wet Mountains and the southern Front Range 14ers will likely miss out on this round of snow.

The snow that could fall will not be of any concern to travelers, but anyone with outdoor plans about the tree line between now and Friday should consider the incoming weather.

Andy Stein is a freelance meteorologist.

Weather Prediction Center
(Latest Discussion - Issued 0804Z Aug 18, 2021)
In the West, a potent cold front pushed by an upper-level low will
continue slowly moving through the Northern High Plains back into the
Central Great Basin through tonight, likely pushing past the Central
Rockies later on Thursday. The energy provided by this system as monsoonal
moisture streams into the West will lead to showers and thunderstorms
across much of the interior regions. Marginal to Slight Risks of excessive
rainfall are in place across parts of the Four Corners states and into
Wyoming today, and a Marginal Risk could stretch into the Northern Plains
by Wednesday. There is also potential for severe weather in the Central
High Plains on Thursday for wind and hail threats. Given the strong cold
front, much below normal temperatures especially in terms of highs are
expected, particularly today in Montana, where highs could be as much as
30 degrees below average.
Milder than normal temperatures also stretch
into the Great Basin and toward the Southwest today, with the Central
Rockies seeing cooler temperatures on Thursday as the cold front pushes
eastward.
Unfortunately, poor air quality persists in portions of the West
despite the cooldown.

Snowfall Probability Forecasts

NZ:

A brief discussion about the Beaufort Gyre and threat of ice age.

The Threat of an Ice Age is Real
Posted Aug 6, 2021 by Martin Armstrong

Most people have NEVER heard of the Beaufort Gyre, a massive wind-driven current in the Arctic Ocean that actually has far more influence over sea ice than anything we can throw into the atmosphere. The Beaufort Gyre has been regulating climate and sea ice formation for millennia. Recently, however, something has changed; it is not something that would create global warming but threatens a new Ice Age.

There is a normal cycle that appears to be about 5.4 years where it reverses direction and spins counter-clockwise, expelling ice and freshwater into the eastern Arctic Ocean and the North Atlantic. The 5.4-year cycle is interesting for it is two pi cycle intervals of 8.6. The immediate cycle has suddenly expanded to two 8.6-year intervals, bringing it to 17.2 years as we head into 2022.

What you must understand is that this Beaufort Gyre now holds as much freshwater as all of the Great Lakes combined. Why is that important? Saltwater freezes at a lower temperature than the 32 degrees F at which freshwater freezes. The difference between the air temperature and the freezing point of saltwater is bigger than the difference between the air temperature and the freezing point of fresh water. This makes the ice with salt on it melt faster, which is why we salt the roads in an ice storm.

Now, think of the Beaufort Gyre as a carousel of ice and freshwater. Because it is now spinning both faster and in its usual clockwise direction, it has been collecting more and more freshwater from the three main sources:
Melting sea ice
Runoff from the Arctic Ocean from Russian and North American rivers
Lower saltwater coming in from the Bering Sea

Indeed, Yale has warned that this current could “Cool the Climate in Europe,” which is precisely what we are witnessing. Cyclically, the Beaufort Gyre will reverse direction, and when it does the clear and present danger will be the natural expulsion of a massive amount of icy fresh water into the North Atlantic. Remember now, freshwater freezes faster than saltwater.

This is not a theory. We have previous records of reversals in this cycle of the Beaufort Gyre from the 1960s and 1970s, where there was a surge of fresh Arctic water released into the North Atlantic that resulted in the water freezing. There has been a lot of work done on this subject, which, of course, is ignored by the climate change agenda that only seeks to blame human activity. Nevertheless, AAAS, of which I am a member, states plainly:

“Arctic sea ice affects climate on seasonal to decadal time scales, and models suggest that sea ice is essential for longer anomalies such as the Little Ice Age.”

Socrates has been given just about every possible database I could find over the past 50 years. Because of the extended 17.2-year cycle in the Beaufort Gyre, the risk that a larger than normal expulsion of freshwater into the Atlantic can disrupt the Gulf Stream, which is the sole reason why Europe has been moderate in climate. But that has NOT always been the case. We know that the Barbarian invasions into Rome during the 3rd century were primarily driven by a colder climate in the north. The invasion of the Sea Peoples ended the Bronze Age and those from the north migrated into the South storming Mesopotamia and Northern Africa.

CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL
It is just not created by humans.

Perhaps we are now at the tipping point and they cannot keep saying that the extremely cold winter is also caused by CO2 and global warming. The collapse of the gulf stream has nothing to do with CO2. This may result in a major confrontation that these people have been seriously wrong and what they are doing to the economy in trying to shut down fossil fuels at this point in time could result in tens of millions of deaths if the gulf stream collapses.

Posted Aug 23, 2021 by Martin Armstrong
The Atlantic Ocean’s circulation has clearly slowed by about 15% since the 1940s. This will continue to slow, and then the cycle in the Beaufort Gyre reverses after 17.2 years, then we are looking at a potential bout with the threat of an ice age — not global warming.

When the Beaufort Gyre cycle reverses, combined with the slowing of the Gulf Stream current, this will bring much colder winters and hotter summers, especially in Europe. It will also change the rainfall patterns in the tropics, and warmer water building up along the US coast can then fuel destructive storms as hurricanes gain power in warm water. The changes in the North Atlantic will cut off shipping lanes, and coastal ice jams will disrupt navigation, meaning the imported food supplies will be threatened.

Now, since these people do follow Socrates and have done so for many years, in addition to others talking about the slowing of the Gulf Stream, I cannot believe that they are ignorant of this tremendous risk. I suspect that they may be counting on this while blaming fossil fuels and CO2 when this may be their diabolical plan to depopulate the world. They are already funding studies to claim that you should not have children because of COVID. I have reported that a couple in Philadelphia was told to have an abortion because the wife had COVID, and it would “probably” result in some deformity. They are deliberately locking down people to isolate them, which will also have a reduction in births with no contact among the youth. Meanwhile, starvation is already beginning in North Korea, and that is a warning that the North could be pushed into a corner where it has no choice but to invade the South, knowing Biden would be unable to respond other than in words.

So some data is emerging that suggests the Solar Maximum is on its way earlier than usual.

This is the second account of the same trend, the first of which I posted earlier in the thread, with a good dose of "huh?"

It could be a small crest in activity, followed by another plunge into solar inactivity. It's anybody's guess what Sol is doing, or will do, as Nemesis approaches. And as The Wave approaches.

So I don't know what's going on, but will continue to pay attention. I don't think this means that we're outta the woods in terms of an Ice Age. The snow all over the Southern hemisphere, cool temperatures and poor growing seasons, and mass flooding in the Northern hemisphere fit the Ice Age model. But maybe this data suggests it will be a mini Ice Age, and not a return to a glacial maximum?

One clear implication, however, is that with the Earth's magnetic field is so weak right now, even a small uptick in solar activity that the two above articles indicate will have amplified catastrophic results.

There's another data point to add to the emerging trend that suggests that Grand Solar Minimum is over. The following is from the spaceweather homepage:

SPACE WEATHER BALLOON DATA: Almost once a week, Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus fly space weather balloons to the stratosphere over California. These balloons are equipped with sensors that detect secondary cosmic rays, a form of radiation from space that can penetrate all the way down to Earth's surface. Our monitoring program has been underway without interruption for 6 years, resulting in a unique dataset of in situ atmospheric measurements.

Latest results: Our most recent flight on June 25, 2021, confirms a trend of decreasing cosmic radiation:​

Cosmic ray dose rates peaked in late 2019, and have been slowly declining ever since. This makes perfect sense. Solar Minimum was in late 2019. During Solar Minimum the sun's magnetic field weakens, allowing more cosmic rays into the solar system. We expect dose rate to be highest at that time.

Now that Solar Minimum has passed, the sun is waking up again. Solar magnetic fields are strengthening, providing a stiffer barrier to cosmic rays trying to enter the solar system. The decline of cosmic radiation above California is a sign that new Solar Cycle 25 is gaining strength.

.Who cares? Cosmic rays are a surprisingly "down to Earth" form of space weather. They can seed clouds, trigger lightning, and penetrate commercial airplanes. According to a study from the Harvard T.H. Chan school of public health, crews of aircraft have higher rates of cancer than the general population. The researchers listed cosmic rays, irregular sleep habits, and chemical contaminants as leading risk factors. Somewhat more controversial studies (#1, #2, #3, #4) llink cosmic rays with cardiac arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death.​

En route to the stratosphere, our sensors also pass through aviation altitudes:

In this plot, dose rates are expessed as multiples of sea level. For instance, we see that boarding a plane that flies at 25,000 feet exposes passengers to dose rates ~10x higher than sea level. At 40,000 feet, the multiplier is closer to 50x. The higher you fly, the more radiation you will absorb.

Technical notes:

The radiation sensors onboard our helium balloons detect X-rays and gamma-rays in the energy range 10 keV to 20 MeV. These energies span the range of medical X-ray machines and airport security scanners.

Data points in the first graph ("Stratospheric Radiation") correspond to the peak of the Regener-Pfotzer maximum, which lies about 67,000 feet above central California. When cosmic rays crash into Earth's atmosphere, they produce a spray of secondary particles that is most intense at the entrance to the stratosphere. Physicists Eric Regener and Georg Pfotzer discovered the maximum using balloons in the 1930s and it is what we are measuring today.

So I don't know what to make of it - maybe we got 'enough' cosmic rays to shake things up already. Maybe we're in for another dip in solar activity, in a a roller coaster sunspot ride rather than than a consistent downward trend. Maybe also there's been a reality jump to a less severe Ice Age?

So I don't know what to make of it - maybe we got 'enough' cosmic rays to shake things up already. Maybe we're in for another dip in solar activity, in a a roller coaster sunspot ride rather than than a consistent downward trend. Maybe also there's been a reality jump to a less severe Ice Age?

My understanding from a 3D point of perspective is, that of course, now that we go into a local solar maximum, the cosmic radiation over earth is decreasing.

As it always does every in average 11 years prior solar maximum. But that doesn’t mean the overall solar activity is getting stronger (over a longer timespan than 11 years) - on the contrary, it appears getting weaker instead. As in; weaker maxima and longer/deeper minima with each 11 year cycle.

Hence the overall cosmic radiation is increasing over longer time.

My understanding from a 3D point of perspective is, that of course, now that we go into a local solar maximum, the cosmic radiation over earth is decreasing.

As it always does every in average 11 years prior solar maximum. But that doesn’t mean the overall solar activity is getting stronger (over a longer timespan than 11 years) - on the contrary, it appears getting weaker instead. As in; weaker maxima and longer/deeper minima with each 11 year cycle.

Hence the overall cosmic radiation is increasing over longer time.

Thanks for this! I've been caught red-handed anticipating this cycle to be somewhat of a 'grander' minimum! Especially with all of the Ice Age weather events like Texas freezing and the Gulf Stream shutting down, crop destruction in Brazil, and other correlated cosmic-ray Earth Changes popping off everywhere.

So I wasn't taking into account the long view of things. Like how the Maunder Minimum lasted from 1645-1715, according to Wikipedia. That's 70 years. I think this misunderstanding has a psychological origin in me - I was interpreting the 'Grand Solar Minimum' data incorrectly from a subconscious position of 'impending doom'. So when this new data started showing up, I was like, "huh"?

So it makes sense that the 11 year sunspot cycles would continue, not just stop right away. In the Maunder Minimum graph attached below, there is a somewhat normal high-cycle sunspot activity, then a steep drop for what looks like two cycles - and then they stop for 70 years. I was assuming we were in the flatline already.

There's also no telling if this Ice Age will be anything like the Maunder Minimum, but its good to have previous data to provide context, compare, contemplate. Could be that next cycle, we'll be in the flatline. Who knows? And then the duration of the flatline - again, nobody knows. Unless there is some indication, for instance in the transcripts? Or in the body of literature, either scientific or mythological?

I must admit, it was kinda nice to see good ol' Sol start up his dance routine again...

Attachments

• Maunder_Minimum_and_Little_Ice_Age.tif
    329.4 KB · Views: 2
Well, it seems that we all have made choices to create our current life situation. But I think we still have some time (though not much) to really take stock of our options, make good choices, and crank it up a notch!

Dandelion is a good one to have on hand. Aside from being a general feel-good tonic, apparently she's also a natural ally against spike proteins!

I was thinking about the meat calculation. For canners, it would be easy enough for one person to determine how many quart jars of meat they'd need for a year. The quart-jar measurement is easier for me to grok than pounds or calories.

Let's say you eat one quart of meat per day (that's a lot!). You'd need 365 jars of meat. I'd say for me it's more like 1/3 quart per day, putting me at 121 jars of meat for one year. So 365 jars would be enough for three years. This can also be padded with non-BPA cans of tuna, sardines, etc. Though those are already kind of pricey in Canada at $5 a can.

With the mylar packaging you mentioned, once it is open, you can also get desiccant salt packs and pop one in to preserve the longevity of the food. There are three main elements that cause spoilage - moisture, warmth and oxygen. That's the trifecta of bad food, so keeping that in mind, it's possible to mitigate some kinda disaster by keeping things cool, dry, and as air-tight as possible.

When buying big bags of grain, it often comes in paper bags. It's better to store things in plastic bags, more airtight. One easy option is to put the whole package of rice or whatever in a garbage bag, tie it tight or duct tape it, and throw in some desiccant salt packs to keep the ambient moisture at bay.

And I also remember that this is big a lesson in 'learning-is-fun'. This helps me frame all the madness as I've been stretching my budget (and mind) to get all the necessary things while supplies last. Kinda like getting ready to go camping... except with zombies and psychos and comets. Oh my!
General questions: what happens when your supplies run out? Do you share them when someone comes in need? Do you stop seeing people when you start spending the supply? Have you already stopped meeting people in anticipation of the big shift?
Thank you

General questions: what happens when your supplies run out? Do you share them when someone comes in need? Do you stop seeing people when you start spending the supply? Have you already stopped meeting people in anticipation of the big shift?
Thank you

My child - become a Breatharian, and all will be well.

Just kidding.

Taking in as much information as possible, looking at trends, and making conscious choices on the basis of survival is all well and good. But there's a point where that turns into hysteria and a need to control Life itself and eradicate every uncertainty.

So while pondering these questions, it's been useful to notice my own mind - to make use of these questions as a psychological exercise than has revealed some hidden faults, programs and assumptions about the world, about myself, about time, suffering, uncertainty, my life, and my death.

When I've put a lot of worried energy into problem-solving, it's like I entrain myself to a future where what I'm worrying about will have a higher probability of happening. Worrying is almost like a form of negative prayer - an unconscious prayer for what you don't want. It's the opposite of Faith.

So I'd like to ask you a question in turn - what is your relationship with Faith? And what does your relationship with Faith say about the questions you're asking?

To reflect on your practical questions:

(1) If the supplies run out, I may suffer and die. I'm doing my best to make sure that scenario doesn't happen. Doesn't sound too fun. However, it is possible. If the supplies run out, maybe that opens a door to a newfound clarity amidst the suffering, which ushers in a state of deeper Faith - and then more supplies show up. Just as an example. And I assume you're speaking about material supplies running out, which is an appropriate framework. But there is another level that must be considered - that of spiritual supplies. If one focuses only on the material supplies, the body may survive, yes. But if the spiritual supplies are abandoned in favour of the material, the Soul dies. So when spiritual supplies run out, that is a much more serious matter.

(2) If someone shows up at my door, starving and needing food, I'll make that call at the time it happens. However, my current thinking is like this - if you give money to someone living on the street, maybe they go buy some fentanyl, overdose and die. That's not always the case, but it's always the risk. That implicates me on a karmic level. Why should I pay for their life choices? Surface-level charitable acts can often have disastrous consequences. So in a population of starving people, if you feed one person, and word gets out, that makes you a target to all the starving people out there... starving people aren't known to ask nicely for a small portion, and then graciously move on. Suddenly my act of charity has started a riot, and left me starving, too - all in attempt to shoulder the burdens of others. So what looks like an STO act can turn you into food. STS takes. STO often gives in return by saying a clear, firm 'No'.

(3) Being very conscious of the company one keeps seems to be of paramount importance at this time. Otherwise, the likelihood of attracting an Agent Smith increases. This is all the more true as the world situation gets worse. And the more Agent-Smith-type peeps in our lives, the greater likelihood that our FRV will be drained or constrained, which has the effect of keeping us attuned to a destiny of entropy.

For a very in-depth discussion of this, see Laura's videos on Information Theory and Reality Creation:

(4) Yes, I have stopped unconsciously associating with people who I see as heavily programmed. Not just because of impending Earth Changes, but because it feels like it is the only way to stand on my principles, apply the Knowledge I've gained here, and also truly love myself.

My child - become a Breatharian, and all will be well.

Just kidding.

Taking in as much information as possible, looking at trends, and making conscious choices on the basis of survival is all well and good. But there's a point where that turns into hysteria and a need to control Life itself and eradicate every uncertainty.

So while pondering these questions, it's been useful to notice my own mind - to make use of these questions as a psychological exercise than has revealed some hidden faults, programs and assumptions about the world, about myself, about time, suffering, uncertainty, my life, and my death.

When I've put a lot of worried energy into problem-solving, it's like I entrain myself to a future where what I'm worrying about will have a higher probability of happening. Worrying is almost like a form of negative prayer - an unconscious prayer for what you don't want. It's the opposite of Faith.

So I'd like to ask you a question in turn - what is your relationship with Faith? And what does your relationship with Faith say about the questions you're asking?

To reflect on your practical questions:

(1) If the supplies run out, I may suffer and die. I'm doing my best to make sure that scenario doesn't happen. Doesn't sound too fun. However, it is possible. If the supplies run out, maybe that opens a door to a newfound clarity amidst the suffering, which ushers in a state of deeper Faith - and then more supplies show up. Just as an example. And I assume you're speaking about material supplies running out, which is an appropriate framework. But there is another level that must be considered - that of spiritual supplies. If one focuses only on the material supplies, the body may survive, yes. But if the spiritual supplies are abandoned in favour of the material, the Soul dies. So when spiritual supplies run out, that is a much more serious matter.

(2) If someone shows up at my door, starving and needing food, I'll make that call at the time it happens. However, my current thinking is like this - if you give money to someone living on the street, maybe they go buy some fentanyl, overdose and die. That's not always the case, but it's always the risk. That implicates me on a karmic level. Why should I pay for their life choices? Surface-level charitable acts can often have disastrous consequences. So in a population of starving people, if you feed one person, and word gets out, that makes you a target to all the starving people out there... starving people aren't known to ask nicely for a small portion, and then graciously move on. Suddenly my act of charity has started a riot, and left me starving, too - all in attempt to shoulder the burdens of others. So what looks like an STO act can turn you into food. STS takes. STO often gives in return by saying a clear, firm 'No'.

(3) Being very conscious of the company one keeps seems to be of paramount importance at this time. Otherwise, the likelihood of attracting an Agent Smith increases. This is all the more true as the world situation gets worse. And the more Agent-Smith-type peeps in our lives, the greater likelihood that our FRV will be drained or constrained, which has the effect of keeping us attuned to a destiny of entropy.

For a very in-depth discussion of this, see Laura's videos on Information Theory and Reality Creation:

(4) Yes, I have stopped unconsciously associating with people who I see as heavily programmed. Not just because of impending Earth Changes, but because it feels like it is the only way to stand on my principles, apply the Knowledge I've gained here, and also truly love myself.
Thank you!
I always wanted to ask those questions but never had the chance.
Yes, the Breatharians are interesting.

While the #hiver austral is coming to an end in #AfriqueDuSud , the #neige has been invited in recent days to the Cape region under the eyes of unaccustomed residents! The local media have qualified this snowfall as "extremely rare" ...

After a clear night, the #fraîcheur was marked on awakening from the southwest to the center-east with often less than 10 ° C in the countryside and even locally barely 4 or 5 ° C ...#températures

Météo Pyrénées

Min temperature / 12 p.m. on August 31, 2021, 06 a.m. UTC

1630390883594.png

animation-satellite-ir-france.gif
1630391237266.png

Last edited:
The ice sheet in Greenland is still there
Having reached the end of the 2020-2021 season for the measurements of the Greenlandic ice sheet, it is a pleasure to inform concerned individuals the the polar bear saving much beloved ice sheet did not disappear this year. Yes, we have celebrated with 🥃 chilled with genuine gletcher 🧊. Looking back, there were indeed several occasions when the percentage of the surface melting was high, as one can see from this illustration from Greenland: Polar Portal
Melt % 2021-08-31.png
But in spite of cruel attacks from the plus degrees, though notice the above just shows that there was a fair bit, but not how many plus degrees, the ice sheet also received so much support from above, that a materialist world view will have to give way to something more enlightened. Just take a look at this and notice the OMG spike in May:
SMB_EN_20210831.png
The end result, not taking into consideration how much has dropped into the sea, looks, judging by the colours, as if Trump's exit and Biden's entry has made all the difference the world:
SMB_combine_SM_acc_EN.png
The above surface mass balance is pretty normal, compared to the 1981-2010 trend. Fortunately we did not reach the deep low of the red line. Had that happened the WHO and UN climate panel would have been into mass extermination, if the Covid19 response is anything to go by.

Okay, if anyone is interested in catching a glimpse of the last remaining ❄️ 🌨️ 🧊 in Greenland, check out our Visit Greenland 🇬🇱 where you can learn more about the unique opportunities available for fully vaccinated and PCR screened individuals who have been able to purchase expensive tickets for one of the limited departures heading into the only country in the northern hemisphere still largely existing in conditions similar to an ice age.

No doubt Greenland is a tempting place, moreover the Wiki suggests to us there may not be another ice age for ages:
Earth has been in an interglacial period known as the Holocene for around 11,700 years,[47] and an article in Nature in 2004 argues that it might be most analogous to a previous interglacial that lasted 28,000 years.[48] Predicted changes in orbital forcing suggest that the next glacial period would begin at least 50,000 years from now. Moreover, anthropogenic forcing from increased greenhouse gases is estimated to potentially outweigh the orbital forcing of the Milankovitch cycles for hundreds of thousands of years.[49][5][4]
We can unfortunately not offer you any guarantees of a generous return in case you choose to diversify your portfolio and invest in some of our inviting, rough and rocky Greenlandic beach front. To be honest, before considering a plunge into our aged gletcher ice check out these books:
Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection, 2nd Ed. – Les Editions Pilule Rouge and

Had a post here with the lead off - Polar Bears? (Jun 2020) featuring the Zoologist, Susan Crockford. Recently, Susan swung her lens a a little east to look at the Chukchi Sea ice and walrus.

The main point below is abundant sea ice, walrus (and Polar Bear denning areas), and silence from the AGW drum thumpers:

Abundant Chukchi Sea ice explains silence on walrus haulouts in Alaska and Russia so far​

Posted on September 3, 2021 | Comments Offon Abundant Chukchi Sea ice explains silence on walrus haulouts in Alaska and Russia so far
There has been abundant sea ice in the Chukchi Sea this summer: so much so that walrus herds have not found it necessary to use beaches on the Alaskan coast as resting haulouts. Now, in early September, almost the entire northern Chukotka coast is covered in ice, blocking use of those beaches that have been traditionally used in September through November. Wrangel Island (an important denning area for polar bears) is still almost surrounded by ice, which hasn’t happened in decades.

Just two years ago, a big deal was made of the fact that the entire coast of Alaska was ice-free by early August and that walrus herds had come ashore at Point Lay earlier than any year since 2007 – all put down to climate change. Last year, walrus started to come ashore one day earlier than in 2019, on July 29. Although no one has presented any evidence that the walrus are suffering in any way due to using beach haulouts during the ice-free season (MacCracken et al. 2017), the haulouts are still presented as bad news and portends of catastrophe to come.
Inset map above shows the location of Point Lay, Alaska where Pacific walrus haulout during the ice-free season.

This year is a totally different story and of course, the biologists are suddenly silent.
Sea ice in the Chukchi Sea this year at 29 July 2021 (below) shows Point Lay was ice-free (as it has been for many years), but we have heard nothing about walrus haulouts as we did in years past.

At 31 August 2021 (below) there was not much less ice in the Chukchi Sea and still no sign of walrus at land haulouts in Alaska (Fischbach et al. 2016). Wrangel Island is still almost surrounded by ice and ice covered much of the Chukotka coast on the mainland, including the famous cliff haulout at Cape Schmidt that is the focus of my upcoming book on the deception in David Attenborough’s Our Planet documentary:

In 2019, there was virtually no ice left in the Chukchi Sea at the end of August:

You can see the shallow area of the Chukchi (pale blue) in the chart below for 2 September 2021, where walrus prefer to feed: this year the ice is much closer to these shallow regions and the strip of ice along the Chukotka coast shows clearly.

The last time there was ice surrounding Wrangel Island in early September was 2003 but it was only a patch:

It wasn’t until 2001 that so much Chukchi Sea ice was routine at the end of August:

Just for comparison, below is the same chart for 2021 from NSIDC:

References
Fischbach, A.S., Kochnev, A.A., Garlich-Miller, J.L. and Jay, C.V. 2016.
Pacific walrus coastal haulout database, 1852-2016 – Background Report. USGS Open-File Report 2016-1108. DOI: 10.3133/ofr20161108 PDF HERE, download here.
MacCracken, J.G., Beatty, W.S., Garlich-Miller, J.L., Kissling, M.L and Snyder, J.A. 2017. Final Species Status Assessment for the Pacific Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens), May 2017 (Version 1.0). US Fish & Wildlife Service, Anchorage, AK. Pdf here (8.6 mb).

Often sunny, cumulus clouds with individual showers and thunderstorms over the mountains - especially the Black Forest and in the area from the Ore Mountains to the Bavarian Forest./V
Line-2
Relatively stubborn high fog in places in the area of Altmark, Wendland and Lüneburg Heath with little to zero sunshine and significantly reduced maximum temperatures of 16 degrees / V

The new trends are here - enter the location here: https://kachelmannwetter.com/de/vorhersage/14-tage-trend example #Koeln : It's going downhill towards the weekend, then next week there will be a wide range. / FR

Last edited:
Things are looking very interesting over Greenland at the moment as the tail end of Storm Larry dumps record feet of snow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extract -

LARRY DELIVERS RECORD-SMASHING SUMMER SNOW TO GREENLAND

Hurricane-force gusts topped 100 miles per hour at Kulusuk Airport near Greenland's southeast coast, while record-smashing accumulations of summer snow battered the world's largest island.

The snow reached blizzard conditions at Summit Camp, a weather station at the island's highest point more than 10,000 feet above sea level, with winds and snow so heavy that visibility was reduced to all-but zero.

"Ex-hurricane Larry is still haunting us," wrote the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI).

"Any way you cut it, this is going to be one for the record books," said Josh Willis, a lead scientist with NASA's Oceans Melting Greenland mission (who I assume will soon be out of a job).

The storm delivered accumulations measured in the feet across Greenland, totals that pushed the island's SMB balance into record breaking territory. Once again, and as we have witnessed numerous times already this summer, snow and ice gains are annihilating previous benchmarks, and, once again, the mainstream media are refusing to inform the wider population.

Attachments

• 0hoxiU_0btxsdkj00.jpg
    0hoxiU_0btxsdkj00.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom