The Importance of Bone Broth

Anthony said:
I tried to make my first bone broth today, using turkey bones, lemon and some salt.
It tastes fine. What's the minimum amount of simmering/cooking needed? Is 6-7 hours ok?

Hi Anthony, it depends with what you are cooking: slow cooker, pressure cooker and regular cooker. I'm using a pressure cooker and cook the bones about 2-3 hrs on low heat. But 6-7 hrs does sound ok with me.

Acid Yazz said:
Hi bone broth lovers! :lol:

I wanted to share a new experiment that I've made.

I called it Chocobony Brownie/Mousse

It consists of bone broth, chocolate, eggs, cinnamon and stevia. I wanted to add vanilla but I didn't have it this time.

I just did my bone broth without any spices or salt this time because I wanted to try if I could make something sweet using the consistency given by the broth.

So... I melted it again because it was a gelatin. I put two spoons of cocoa powder, one teaspoon of cinnamon, some stevia (I guess that if you use xylitol it will be even better, but there's no xylitol in my country). I separated the yolks from 2 eggs and whisked the whites until stiff, and added both the stiff whites and the yolks (I didn't have too many eggs, that's why I used only two, but next time I'll add 2 more, that will make it perfect, I think :D). Then I whisked the whole thing for a minute or so...

I also added too much water (a cup or so) because I thought it would be too stiff if I didn't, but next time I'll add less water, or maybe even no water at all, I guess it will depend on the consistency you're looking for.

I put it on the freezer for a while and then on the fridge.

It was delicious! For me, there was no trace of the broth taste and since I'm very sensitive all dairy and nuts (so I can't use the flours from them) this seems like a very good alternative for a good treat, and certainly a good way of eating bone broth when the temperature is as high as 45°C, as it is now in my country. ;D

The consistency is good, and it can be better if I add more eggs and less water. It stays with something like a creamy 'topping' that I guess is due to the fat and the eggs, but that gives it a very nice appearance and a particular taste.

I liked it so much that I even have a picture for you. :P (As you can see, it is melting because it's very hot here, but that's also because I put too much water in it. Because my broth usually doesn't melt that fast even if it's hot.)

EDIT: Spelling

Thanks for sharing and it does look delicious. And I think davey72 asked for "crust" cause in the picture it looks like it if there is a hard layer around it and I'm too wondering what it is :). Also when it is not from bone broth this recipe looks interesting and is done with gelatin:

_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/easy-chocolate-keto-paleo-gelatin-pudding-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Another excellent recipe from MK Scarlett:

MK Scarlett said:
I share with you the specific recipe I use for bone broth.

BONE BROTH WITH MARROW BONE, FEET OF PORK and CROSS OF VEAL

Ingredients

- 12 to 15 marrow bones (according to the size).
- 3 to 5 feet of pork (according to the size).
- 1 or 2 cross of veal (it is the knee bone).
- Salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, mixed herbs of Provence (thyme, laurel, rosemary), or quite different spices or herbs which would have your favor.

Preparation of the recipe

Put the feet of pork, marrow bones and cross of veal in a big pot.
Cover it totally with cold water, close the pot and put it over a low heat for at least 12 hours.

When time is up, get out the feet of pork, the marrow bones, the cross of veal and all what is substantial (including the most little bones from the feet pig) and put them in a large hollow dish. Let cool.

In the broth which is waiting for in the pot, add 2 to 3 liter of water according to the quantity lost during the cooking.
Add some lard/fat of duck (the quantity depends on the wished result: more or less fat). Put back over a low heat.

Once feet of pork and bones are cool enough to put it your hands, separate the elements:

- If you use a mixer/blender, put the marrow and the gelatin of bones in it and also the feet pork skinned by any bone.

- If you use a hand-blender, put the marrow and the gelatin of bones in another large hollow dish and also the feet pork skinned by any bone.

Be careful, some feet pork bones are very small and they could damage knives of your mixer.
The feet of pork also can be skinned, but it is not an obligation.

Add in the plat or in the mixer (depends of what you use to) salt and pepper; and turmeric, ginger, mixed herbs of Provence.

Mix the whole until obtain a kind of foam.

Prepare 6 or 7 glass jars (kind of canning) of a volume of 1 liter and distribute the foam in each jar.
At this time of the preparation, you can add some butter, either directly in every jar, or in the pot which still has the broth waiting (the butter will not have cooked and will have kept all its nutriments).

Then distribute the broth in each jar and close them.

Wait until they have totally cooled and put them in the fridge.
The bone broth so obtained can be kept in the cold for at least 15 days.
Of course, they also can be canned!

---------------------------------------------------------------​

Hereafter a picture of this bone broth when it is cooled.​

Have a good meal ! :cool2:

Gawan said:
Acid Yazz said:

[snip]

Thanks for sharing and it does look delicious. And I think davey72 asked for "crust" cause in the picture it looks like it if there is a hard layer around it and I'm too wondering what it is :). Also when it is not from bone broth this recipe looks interesting and is done with gelatin:

_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/easy-chocolate-keto-paleo-gelatin-pudding-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Very nice!

Well... the layer on top wasn't hard, it was creamy, and it seems that it is a layer of fat that rests over the rest of the gelatin, it might not seem that palatable but it tasted fine.

However, I've made it again using lard instead of tallow, and the result didn't have that layer on top, but the overall consistency was great by adding more eggs and using less water.

Here's a picture of the last one I did:

_https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1513206_10202091034690286_1663769294_n.jpg

I was delicious, btw... :D

Gandalf said:

MK Scarlett said:

[Snip]

wow! that looks great!

I'm going to try this one for my next batch. :)

Gandalf said:

MK Scarlett said:

BONE BROTH WITH MARROW BONE, FEET OF PORK and CROSS OF VEAL

[...]

The bone broth so obtained can be kept in the cold for at least 15 days.
Of course, they also can be canned!

Thank you very much Gandalf for having share the recipe in this thread :thup: (I should have done it here, BTW).

Acid Yazz said:

I called it Chocobony Brownie/Mousse

It consists of bone broth, chocolate, eggs, cinnamon and stevia. I wanted to add vanilla but I didn't have it this time.

I just did my bone broth without any spices or salt this time because I wanted to try if I could make something sweet using the consistency given by the broth.

So... I melted it again because it was a gelatin. I put two spoons of cocoa powder, one teaspoon of cinnamon, some stevia (I guess that if you use xylitol it will be even better, but there's no xylitol in my country). I separated the yolks from 2 eggs and whisked the whites until stiff, and added both the stiff whites and the yolks (I didn't have too many eggs, that's why I used only two, but next time I'll add 2 more, that will make it perfect, I think :D). Then I whisked the whole thing for a minute or so...

I also added too much water (a cup or so) because I thought it would be too stiff if I didn't, but next time I'll add less water, or maybe even no water at all, I guess it will depend on the consistency you're looking for.

I put it on the freezer for a while and then on the fridge.

It was delicious! For me, there was no trace of the broth taste and since I'm very sensitive all dairy and nuts (so I can't use the flours from them) this seems like a very good alternative for a good treat, and certainly a good way of eating bone broth when the temperature is as high as 45°C, as it is now in my country. ;D

The consistency is good, and it can be better if I add more eggs and less water. It stays with something like a creamy 'topping' that I guess is due to the fat and the eggs, but that gives it a very nice appearance and a particular taste.

I liked it so much that I even have a picture for you. :P (As you can see, it is melting because it's very hot here, but that's also because I put too much water in it. Because my broth usually doesn't melt that fast even if it's hot.)

EDIT: Spelling

Looks so good! Thanks AY for testing and sharing! I gonna try this recipe which looks delicious. ;)

Anthony said:
Thanks for the reply Gawan, I was using a regular stove.

FWIW i bought a crockpot at Walmart for $20. Works great. I usually do a batch with pork, or beef bones, and a second with a whole chicken, or turkey parts, then mix together, and make a nice soup for the week. Makes for great lunches at work.

Just a heads-up for anyone new to the dietary changes, Dr Allison Siebecker is doing a live interview today (Wednesday) focusing on bone broth, SIBO, flatulence & more. Listeners are encouraged to call in & ask her questions. The show starts at 5 pm. (Pacific Standard Time), with host Darren McDuffie of Phat Man Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phatmanradio/2014/05/08/sibo-with-dr-allison-siebecker

For more info on Dr Siebecker, have a gander at this thread.

Hi Rabelais,
I don't see how you could get meals harming from navicular bone broth. You said it was a slowly cook which generally means that you revealed it to steaming temperature for at least an hour. I am supposing you used various meats navicular bone fragments and this is the least likely type of various meats and aspect of carcass to cause meals harming.

Maybe your body could not deal with all that benefits at once :)

I pretty much increased up on navicular bone broths or various meats sauces as we call it. In my country this is the grandma's medication for every sickness and indeed it is very easily consumed highly vitamin meals.
Its very important to select right navicular bone fragments as the best aspect for the broth is the mid rib cage close to the backbone With it you also get awesome soft various meats reduces and awesome jam pieces - I just love it.paleo diet food is also excellent for its included green vegetables and fruits and vegetables its also excellent for health and for make the boons strong..

Haven't had chance to watch this through yet, but the first 5 minutes were very interesting for me - the hsitorical background etc.. For someone who had their first proper soup/broth at 27, it is strange to think that even my Nana (grandmother) wasn't aware or had forgotten. Otherwise soup for sickness came out of a can... cream of chicken by campbells i dispise you.

Trying to explain bone broth to the average folk, something i can relate to!, is funny and difficult. I tried yesterday with someone whilst in the presence of a proud vegan... :D

It's by the AncestralFoundation on Youtube

I've had it queued for a few days so rather than delay it further, should anybody wish to watch:
(the page has ALOT of other very interesting looking presentatons)

https://youtu.be/3ZrgETZzb0A?rel=0

Published on 11 Aug 2014

A South American proverb claims "Good broth will resurrect the dead." While that's clearly an exaggeration, chicken soup has enjoyed a reputation as "Jewish penicillin" and bone broths are served to convalescents all over the world. In this presentation, Dr. Daniel will review the science that supports consuming bone broth for healthy bones, joints, skin, digestion, immunity and emotional stability. She will discuss 19th and early 20th century studies on gelatin, as well as recent investigations into the "conditionally essential" amino acids proline, glycine and glutamine and "the essential sugars" N-Acetylglucosamine and N-Acetylgalactosamine. Finally, she will report on Dr. John F. Prudden's clinical trials healing osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's, and even cancer with cartilage. In short, much science supports the ancestral wisdom of consuming bone broth.

For the the past week or so, I've been making "chocolate broth." Although not entirely a new discovery based on the experiments on this thread, I thought I'd share my recent experience as I found it to be very enjoyable. I started my holiday food shopping early & was thinking of a way to not slip into pigging out just because of the holiday period. I made a chocolate drink using 100% cacao & added 100% cacao butter into it. I'd used the "butter" for the keto custard/ice cream/cake recipe & recently re-acquired it (haven't made the ice cream for a while) to use solely for chocolate. I put a a few teaspoons of xylitol too. Normally I take a flask of tea to work or vitamin C (or just water) & sip those, finishing the rest off when I return home. Even when I'm not working I'll use a flask for any of the above, so I'm not restricted to having to drink anything immediately. The thought occurred to me after a few days of the chocolate that I should add some more fat to it as it all seemed rather thin. So I cut a slice of beef dripping (cheapest, cleanest thing available to me - sounds ugh but it's not, unless you add it it to beef!) in the cacao mix (dunno the amount, was a thin slice from a 250 grams block, 10 grams maybe) & it was good, just like broth but with a slightly sweet chocolate taste.

So yesterday I used my separate broth (herbs like basil, sage, rosemary, & chicken included) & used a ladle to put 2/3 scoops into the pot of melting cacao (with xylitol) & added a teaspoon of slippery elm powder. Stirred it until it thickened a bit then poured into a flask. I still drank a separate cup of broth in the morning as the chocolate was to last from mid-morning to mid-afternoon as I'm smoking more these days. Turned out great! But about an hour ago I did the same for the flask, but for my cup of broth I used well under a teacup of chocolate (leftover from the flask) in my cup & the rest was broth. Stirred & the result was fantastic. A slightly chocolatey broth that's only a bit sweet. I think I over-compensated with the xylitol for the cacao which I really shouldn't as I don't have a sweet tooth anymore, for the 1st time ever. I also discovered that I don't need as many digestion supplements (HCL & others) for this as my fat intake (based on yesterday's experience) is constant but can now be portioned throughout the day gently. Because of my lifestyle (work really) I tend to have too much broth in one go (funnily enough didn't have trouble with the keto ice cream & broth) & with increased smoking I get peckish. The last few days experimenting with chocolate (in the flask) has gotten around that, & adding broth makes it better, with fewer pills! When, in the last few days, I started to feel peckish after smoking, I just have a cup or 2 of chocolate broth over a 30 minute period & the thought of eating vanishes. So that's my experience, just in case anyone might benefit from it. :cool2:

I sometimes keep my meat and bones in my croc pot for 24 - 36 hrs and notice that much of them can be mushed up. Does anyone know if it is of any benefit to be adding the whole bone to ones diet?

Hi davey72,

I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread or another one that there wouldn't be any problem with eating the bones if you can eat them.

I suppose that if they're soft enough it would be even better because it means that all their nutrients are in the broth now and you can eat what's left in the bones.

I personally don't like the taste of bones left when I make bone broth, even if I can smash them completely, but I do add some it to the mix anyway.

I caught some pike yesterday and figured something out. Ya have to filet them as they are very bony and so there seems to be a great deal wasted. I decided to make a fish broth outof some of this even including the roe. I had it in the croc pot all night. I amsure many of you already know this but with salt and little water it will turn out just like canned salmon. Everything is very edible and would be perfect for canning. I wish i had a good canning setup as the lake is close and the limit is three per day. It wouldnt take long to really stock up. Pun intended. :D
Even the eggs werent bad at all. They had the texture of meat.

I wrote some information about Bone broth here:

http://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Food_preparation

Please feel free to correct something or add your own experience. It's not supposed to be a recipe, rather an explanation so you know how to use whatever ingredients you have on hand to make bone broth.

Hello! I have a few questions and if you have any answers I'd appreciate a little advise. I'm getting ready to make my first bone broth. On this topic, I see most people here are using a slow cooker. There is some talk of using a pressure cooker but not to much. For those who have tried both methods, do you have a preference and why? At what length of time cooking do the bones disintegrate in the pressure cooker? Times given here span 2 to 4 hours. Is there a difference in taste? Maybe the slow cooker tastes better. Is time the only factor here? I'm leaning toward the pressure cooking method because its so fast. Is the amount of water added the same as the slow cooker?

I also see some make enough broth for a whole week. I can't understand how that much can be made while only using 3 marrow, beef bones for instance with a inch of water above the bones. Maybe more bones(or BIG bones) and a bigger pot are used. In a slow cooker water needs to be added sometimes I assume. Hopefully that doesn't dilute the broth because its condensed somewhat.

Also, I have a friend who is 84 years old and could really use some good nutrition. The broth with the dissolved bone may be to strong for her I'm considering. I suppose just adding extra water to her cup would thin that out.

So a few questions. I appreciate the feed back. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom