The Importance of Bone Broth

I tried the "apple pie" bone broth of Hesper with the last batch and it really does taste like apple pie. :) I hadn't put any onions or garlic (which I usually do) in that batch, so I'm wondering how it would taste if the batch had onions and garlic.

I've never roasted bones I get specifically for broth, but in the past I've used bones from pork roast and pork chops, etc. (even from whole chicken on two occasions because I rarely eat chicken) and it tastes great. FWIW.

Interesting, not how I did it. Put the bones in a shallow pan in 300 degree oven for an hour. Then put in crock pot and added all the juices from the pan. covered with water and cooked for 24 hours. I did add a quartered onion in the crock pot.

I just made a broth with 3 big bones. How delicious. Even now that is less cold outside. I take my broth cold and it gives me energy, but a sort of interior energy, not just physical energy. It calms me, it is so good. :)

Having my first sips of the broth made with browned bones -- WOW! Such an improved flavor, and it was almost a pleasant smell while the broth was cooking.

Kris

From what I can tell, roasting bones or even boiling them too hot leads to a sort of random chemical experiment, where organic molecules break down and recombine in unpredictable patterns. Some of those new patterns are carcinogens. I would avoid cooking meat and bone too long, and I would keep to the slow simmer. Even if it's got bacteria or whatever else winds up in it, I think it's best to let your immune get stronger to fight that, than to gradually build up toxins instead.

RflctnOfU said:
Having my first sips of the broth made with browned bones -- WOW! Such an improved flavor, and it was almost a pleasant smell while the broth was cooking.

Kris

I also just tried browning the bones first, and yes what a difference. The broth has a much richer flavor, and it gelled even more than usual...

Stoneboss said:
RflctnOfU said:

Kris

I also just tried browning the bones first, and yes what a difference. The broth has a much richer flavor, and it gelled even more than usual...

I recently made bone broth from beef bones, slow simmer, but left the crock pot on for so long [about 4/5 days], you can literally chew the bones. I didn't roast or cook them beforehand. From what I can perceive, it gave my body some much needed energy as I was in a period of intermittent fasting nevertheless induced bowel movement.
Although they taste great with mackerel & coconut milk, is leaving bones simmering for this long, or ingestion thereafter, good for the body?

We leave our bones simmering for a week or two. We top up water and the occasional bones from other meals. It will loose it's nutritional value over time, we judge it based on colour and taste - if it's simmered over night and is thin and tastes watery it's time to change it :)
Their should be no problem eating some of the soft bones, but probably best to limit that. I'm not entirely sure about that. I occasionally eat a few small ones.

RedFox said:
We leave our bones simmering for a week or two. We top up water and the occasional bones from other meals. It will loose it's nutritional value over time, we judge it based on colour and taste - if it's simmered over night and is thin and tastes watery it's time to change it :)
Their should be no problem eating some of the soft bones, but probably best to limit that. I'm not entirely sure about that. I occasionally eat a few small ones.
As long as you chew them up or chop them up, the stomach has no difficulty digesting bone. When I eat ribs, I eat the whole thing. Never caused me any trouble.

Prodigal Son said:
Puzzle said:
... did it in a pressure cooker for about 3 hours and then opened the pot and let it simmer for another half hour or so. It seems I cooked it much too long or probably too hot, though, because there were no bones left, just a few small harder chunks. And when I ate my first bowl of it, I also ate those chunks which easily gave upon chewing. When it was cooled down, it was a solid mass, like sausage you'd buy in a glass that's for spreading on bread, only more dense. Does anyone know whether it's okay to cook it so intensely or whether there's something detrimental to it?
I pressure cook my bones for three to four hours too, however I stop there, no further reduction of water. For me it is sufficiently dense at that time. It is OK to cook it as you have, many cooks do this to make bouillon, or stock, freeze it in this reduced form and then re-hydrate it for sauces as and when required.

I made some broth following this tip and it turned out really thick, fatty and delicious! :D

I have to say that bone broth is indeed something great. I've been drinking a bit of it with my breakfast and lunch and I'm not having this "low energy" issues that I've been having lately.

Great stuff! :thup:

:perfect:

Acid Yazz said:
Prodigal Son said:
Puzzle said:
... did it in a pressure cooker for about 3 hours and then opened the pot and let it simmer for another half hour or so. It seems I cooked it much too long or probably too hot, though, because there were no bones left, just a few small harder chunks. And when I ate my first bowl of it, I also ate those chunks which easily gave upon chewing. When it was cooled down, it was a solid mass, like sausage you'd buy in a glass that's for spreading on bread, only more dense. Does anyone know whether it's okay to cook it so intensely or whether there's something detrimental to it?
I pressure cook my bones for three to four hours too, however I stop there, no further reduction of water. For me it is sufficiently dense at that time. It is OK to cook it as you have, many cooks do this to make bouillon, or stock, freeze it in this reduced form and then re-hydrate it for sauces as and when required.

I made some broth following this tip and it turned out really thick, fatty and delicious! :D

I have to say that bone broth is indeed something great. I've been drinking a bit of it with my breakfast and lunch and I'm not having this "low energy" issues that I've been having lately.

Great stuff! :thup:

:perfect:

I put bone broth made from pig's feet using this method in a new blender to test drive it - added garlic, salt & turmeric. Indeed, bone broth is divine! Made enough to be able to freeze leftovers & heat in a crock pot or use as needed :D

LQB said:
RflctnOfU said:
amd57432 said:
For the last couple of batches of broth I oven roasted the bones first. The flavor was fantastic! I think I will be continuing to roast the bones for a while. Did not even miss the onions in the last batch.

What is the process for roasting the bones first. This is something I would like to attempt on my next batch!

Just put the bones/meat (even frozen) in a shallow pan and run the oven up to low broil or 400 deg F. Leave in the oven until the outer surfaces are browned. It makes for a hearty broth.

Ah, nice tip!

Back
Top Bottom