The Importance of Bone Broth

Angela said:
RflctnOFU said:
Yuppers! Glad to hear your experience of relieved pain

BTW, what 'recipe' do you use??
I use a mix of grass fed pork and beef bones...I put them in my crockpot on low for 48 hours..Thats it! I add a little salt to each cup when I am ready to drink it :)

If you don't have allergies to the following, about 1/4 tsp of each of the following is very yummy: Cumin, Tumeric, White Pepper, and Ginger....MMmmmmm :)

Kris

RflctnOfU said:
Angela said:
RflctnOFU said:
Yuppers! Glad to hear your experience of relieved pain

BTW, what 'recipe' do you use??
I use a mix of grass fed pork and beef bones...I put them in my crockpot on low for 48 hours..Thats it! I add a little salt to each cup when I am ready to drink it :)

If you don't have allergies to the following, about 1/4 tsp of each of the following is very yummy: Cumin, Tumeric, White Pepper, and Ginger....MMmmmmm :)

Kris

I recently made some apple-pie gelatin with the bone broth. I just sprinkle the following on about half a cup of broth:

3/4 of a teaspoon of organic cinnamon
3 scoops of stevia (I use the scoop that comes with the bottle, it comes out to less than 1/4 teaspoon)
teaspoon of vitamin c powder crystals (ascorbic acid)
and mix it together with a spoon.

It tastes exactly like apple pie, especially when you pull it out of the fridge and it still has chunks of hardened fat. It's delicious!

I've been one of those that couldn't quite handle an element of something between the taste and smell of broth (not exactly either), wether it had added salt before or after, AC vinegar, or veggies in it. Recently cooking the bones in the oven at 150+ for an hour, before pressure cooking solved the taste problem! Happy days, untill.. the batch was half way done and I tried adding a liter of distilled water and cooked it some more, which ruined it, don't know why but it destroyed the nice fatty texture of it and became undrinkable.

I have a question. I made a batch of bone broth that lost half of it's water and was tasteless. The bones were used 2 or 3 times before. I cooked in a crock pot on low for 48 hours. There was an onion and 5 bulbs of garlic added from the beginning. I added a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar.

Most of this I have done before and since. The only difference in this batch was the apple cider vinegar. Most of the bone broth I have made has been wonderful. I have even gotten my son to use the bone broth for his ramon instead of the spice packet that comes with it.

amd57432 said:
I have a question. I made a batch of bone broth that lost half of it's water and was tasteless. The bones were used 2 or 3 times before. I cooked in a crock pot on low for 48 hours. There was an onion and 5 bulbs of garlic added from the beginning. I added a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar.

Most of this I have done before and since. The only difference in this batch was the apple cider vinegar. Most of the bone broth I have made has been wonderful. I have even gotten my son to use the bone broth for his ramon instead of the spice packet that comes with it.
Just my thoughts, so for what it's worth - the amount of times the bones can be used, I think may depend upon how much meat, fat and gristle are on the bones as well as how long they are initially cooked. If most of the 'goodness' is cooked out the first time, subsequent batches may not come out as well.

As for the cider, I don't use it because I react to it. I'm also not crazy about the flavor it gives to the broth (even in very small doses) so perhaps others may be able to comment on that.

Thank you for answering.

I read elsewhere on this list that bones can be reused many times. So many times that the bones get soft and can be blended into the broth. Some of the bones I was using had been used twice before with delicious results. I thought I had several more uses out of them.

amd57432 said:
Thank you for answering.

I read elsewhere on this list that bones can be reused many times. So many times that the bones get soft and can be blended into the broth. Some of the bones I was using had been used twice before with delicious results. I thought I had several more uses out of them.
I have used them 2 or (rarely) 3 times, but never really find that the broth has the same quality or body unless I add newer bones to the batch, if that makes sense. So it can technically be done depending on whether you're happy with the end result or not.

Hesper said:
I recently made some apple-pie gelatin with the bone broth. I just sprinkle the following on about half a cup of broth:

3 scoops of stevia (I use the scoop that comes with the bottle, it comes out to less than 1/4 teaspoon)

It tastes exactly like apple pie, especially when you pull it out of the fridge and it still has chunks of hardened fat. It's delicious!

I have just made it and it does taste like apple pie! :) I was getting so fed up with the taste and smell of my broth, but this makes it so much better. I have added some butter BTW and I am drinking it while it is still warm (couldn't wait). And instead of stevia I have used xylitol.
My youngest son also uses ascorbic acid for his cakes made with buckwheat.

Thanks Hesper. :thup:

Mariama said:
Hesper said:

I have just made it and it does taste like apple pie! :) I was getting so fed up with the taste and smell of my broth, but this makes it so much better. I have added some butter BTW and I am drinking it while it is still warm (couldn't wait). And instead of stevia I have used xylitol.

I had my 'apple pie' cold today and it tastes even better. ;) The gel tastes very good when it's cold. OSIT.

I find that pork bones become soft and start breaking up if cooked for upwards of fifteen hours or so. They will even break up when trying to strain them out, leaving unpleasant chunks behind. So, I don't reuse them because I easily accumulate more bones.

BTW, I use the bone broth when braising bone-in, rind-on pork belly in the Chinese style with salt, xylitol, ginger, and cinnamon. It's more fat than meat and tastes great.

Mariama said:
Mariama said:
Hesper said:

I had my 'apple pie' cold today and it tastes even better. ;) The gel tastes very good when it's cold. OSIT.

I'm glad to know that you liked it! It can get funky if there are meat chunks in there, so I stay away from those :lol:

For the last couple of batches of broth I oven roasted the bones first. The flavor was fantastic! I think I will be continuing to roast the bones for a while. Did not even miss the onions in the last batch.

amd57432 said:
For the last couple of batches of broth I oven roasted the bones first. The flavor was fantastic! I think I will be continuing to roast the bones for a while. Did not even miss the onions in the last batch.

What is the process for roasting the bones first. This is something I would like to attempt on my next batch!

Kris

RflctnOfU said:
amd57432 said:

What is the process for roasting the bones first. This is something I would like to attempt on my next batch!

Just put the bones/meat (even frozen) in a shallow pan and run the oven up to low broil or 400 deg F. Leave in the oven until the outer surfaces are browned. It makes for a hearty broth.

Back
Top Bottom