The Importance of Bone Broth

I have to agree that the Bone Broth is a superfood and the key to success on either a Paleo or Ketogenic diet. The basic broth is essential all year 'round, I think, and the amount of fat can be adjusted according to your energy needs and your environment and the season of the year.

RflctnOfU said:
...I would like to add that along with what was mentioned, my capacity for the Work has improved. I suspect this has a lot to do with the melting away of a long lasting apathy...

If by "melting apathy" you mean "action," that alone can produce changes. Just the act of doing something like trying bone broth (as opposed to "thinking about it") can make a difference, all nutritional considerations aside. If you want to see more, do more, but don't rush the dietary changes. They do seem to require time to adapt.

RflctnOfU said:
Including this in my diet has changed my life! And that is after only 2 weeks drinking this daily. I am looking forward to when I make the transition to KD so I can 'see' for myself what else will improve in my inner world.

Yep, it's magical stuff. I've found it to be one of the best things to start the day with - along with bacon, of course. It's like liquid energy. Just the right kind of fuel for any work. :)

Yes. My grandmother used to make this. In the country side you throw nothing. My mother tells me all the time how she was obliged to eat it every day. The KD seems to be what people in the country, in Europe at least, eat since long ago but sure they got cooped and introduced the evil bred and milk that is toady an indispensable aliment.

Megan said:
RflctnOfU said:
...I would like to add that along with what was mentioned, my capacity for the Work has improved. I suspect this has a lot to do with the melting away of a long lasting apathy...

If by "melting apathy" you mean "action," that alone can produce changes. Just the act of doing something like trying bone broth (as opposed to "thinking about it") can make a difference, all nutritional considerations aside. If you want to see more, do more, but don't rush the dietary changes. They do seem to require time to adapt.

I didn't really mean that. It is more like an aspect of attitude, in a general sense. Rigidity...not really caring about things. I strongly suspect that the physiological basis for emotions was crippled by not getting the right nutrients and minerals. The energy system of emotions wasn't working correctly. I cared quite a bit intellectually, but now my feelings are beginning to come alive again and are aligning with intellect.

However, I agree that DOing can, and does, produce changes.

Kris

Yesterday afternoon I felt really tired. Took a bowl of bone broth and the fatigue was gone!

I still have to remind myself to take it every day and make it every other day. It helps that I also have to make bone broth for my dog that has some kind of tumour. She loves it and devours it (it is great to watch).

So good to hear, what it does to you, this superfood, RflctnofU. That is inspiring. I remember Anart explaining to me what the paleo diet had done for her. I felt motivated to embark on the same diet and it is true that so many favourable changes have taken place.
I haven't started the KD diet, either. I have to find the time to read the whole thread first and the time when I can make the transition just in case I experience some health issues.

I was really glad to see the post about bone broth. I am in the process of working my way through the Ketogenic Diet thread. This post is so encouraging and inspiring. My first batch of bone broth is in the crock pot as I write. I found this recipe for bone broth on the internet:

http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth.html

I hope this one is ok. It is what I am going by for now.

Is it ok to use the cooked bones from, say, a rib roast to make bone broth? Or is it better to start with uncooked bones?

Mark said:
Is it ok to use the cooked bones from, say, a rib roast to make bone broth? Or is it better to start with uncooked bones?

I've used both with success.

Mark said:

Using basic chemistry knowledge, I would have to think that using cooked bones might probably yield a lower mineral concentration as opposed to fresh-uncooked ones (weight for weight of the same with same cooking technique).

But I don't think it's bad in any way, only that you might want to consider it (if right) to make sure you get enough minerals. Maybe you will need a bit more cooked bones to get same quantity of minerals as opposed to fresh ones. That's pretty much all.

Anyhow thanks for the thread! I have tried to find a similar one but now it has been done.

Peace.

Mark said:
I was really glad to see the post about bone broth. I am in the process of working my way through the Ketogenic Diet thread. This post is so encouraging and inspiring. My first batch of bone broth is in the crock pot as I write. I found this recipe for bone broth on the internet:

http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth.html

I hope this one is ok. It is what I am going by for now.

I can't speak on the cooked bones from rib roast, however I have found a yummy way to make it. About 3 lbs of grass fed beef marrow bones, one onion chopped, one bulb of garlic - cloves crushed, 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, dash of white pepper, about 1/2 tsp of each of the following: cumin, tumeric, ginger, and a tiny dash of cayenne (opt.) splash of balsamic vinegar...cover with water about an inch. Turn crock pot on low. Let cook at least 24 hours. voila!! :)

Kris

edit: typo

JayMark said:
Mark said:

Using basic chemistry knowledge, I would have to think that using cooked bones might probably yield a lower mineral concentration as opposed to fresh-uncooked ones (weight for weight of the same with same cooking technique).

But I don't think it's bad in any way, only that you might want to consider it (if right) to make sure you get enough minerals. Maybe you will need a bit more cooked bones to get same quantity of minerals as opposed to fresh ones. That's pretty much all.

Anyhow thanks for the thread! I have tried to find a similar one but now it has been done.

Peace.

I disagree. Since bones are essentially made of minerals, bound in a protein complex, unless you're cooking your bones until they dissolve, you're not going to lower the amount of minerals in your broth by pre-cooking the bones. In traditional recipes, red meat bones would always be roasted before using them for stocks to add flavour, richness and to darken the stock. This method makes for just as mineral rich a broth.

dugdeep said:
I disagree. Since bones are essentially made of minerals, bound in a protein complex, unless you're cooking your bones until they dissolve, you're not going to lower the amount of minerals in your broth by pre-cooking the bones. In traditional recipes, red meat bones would always be roasted before using them for stocks to add flavour, richness and to darken the stock. This method makes for just as mineral rich a broth.

Would make sense then. I didn't know that. But now that you mention it, I remember what has been said about free radicals as opposed to complexes. Good point.

Thanks for clarifying!

So then next question; can bones be re-used in making broth? Or would one loooong simmer just take out most of what you need out of it?

Thanks.

JayMark said:
dugdeep said:

Would make sense then. I didn't know that. But now that you mention it, I remember what has been said about free radicals as opposed to complexes. Good point.

Thanks for clarifying!

So then next question; can bones be re-used in making broth? Or would one loooong simmer just take out most of what you need out of it?

After making our broth yesterday (which came out very fatty and dense) my roommate suggested that we add water and keep boiling it to see what kind of broth will come out, because there was so much more stuff inside the around the bones still. I just checked the second batch of broth now, and it looks as rich as the one yesterday, so I say that yes, bones can be reused.

You have to take into account though that we filled the first pot with pig knuckle (sp?) bones that were full of cartilage and marrow. So there was a whole lot of good stuff in it to make two good broths.

Alana said:
JayMark said:
dugdeep said:

Thanks for clarifying!

After making our broth yesterday (which came out very fatty and dense) my roommate suggested that we add water and keep boiling it to see what kind of broth will come out, because there was so much more stuff inside the around the bones still. I just checked the second batch of broth now, and it looks as rich as the one yesterday, so I say that yes, bones can be reused.

You have to take into account though that we filled the first pot with pig knuckle (sp?) bones that were full of cartilage and marrow. So there was a whole lot of good stuff in it to make two good broths.

Thanks for the info. I guess it can be done depending of the bones themselves. Mmmm pork fat...

JayMark said:
dugdeep said:

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks.

Here is an answer to re-using the bones.

_http://www.traditional-foods.com/bone-broth/

The gist is that bones reused for 12 days consistently produced gelatinous broth

Kris

Back
Top Bottom