The Importance of Bone Broth

I have a question concerning the time of cooking. Is it important to cook during 24 hours? I have some recipes that say 2 hours.

Sorry, I am still reading the thread of keto so maybe you have already answer this question.

loreta said:
I have a question concerning the time of cooking. Is it important to cook during 24 hours? I have some recipes that say 2 hours.

Sorry, I am still reading the thread of keto so maybe you have already answer this question.

That depends on the gear used to cook. I understand a pressure cooker is quite quick, although I am unsure of the details. I use a crockpot. Set it to low and let it go at least 24 hours. I have read that some swear by letting it go 48 hours at minimum. My batches have been done between 24 and 27 hours and have come out great, fwiw.

Hope this helps. :)

Kris

Mark said:
Is it ok to use the cooked bones from, say, a rib roast to make bone broth? Or is it better to start with uncooked bones?

anart said:
I've used both with success.

That's good to hear... waste not, want not.

RflctnOfU said:
I can't speak on the cooked bones from rib roast, however I have found a yummy way to make it. About 3 lbs of grass fed beef marrow bones, one onion chopped, one bulb of garlic - cloves crushed, 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, dash of white pepper, about 1/2 tsp of each of the following: cumin, tumeric, ginger, and a tiny dash of cayenne (opt.) splash of balsamic vinegar...cover with water about an inch. Turn crock pot on low. Let cook at least 24 hours. voila!!

I put some Turmeric, a bit of garlic, 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar, some chicken fat, coconut oil, and some sea salt in this batch. I will try a bit of white pepper, rendered beef fat and more garlic next time.

Of course taste is secondary to the nutritional benefits. Looking forward to a bone broth breakfast tomorrow.

RflctnOfU said:
loreta said:

That depends on the gear used to cook. I understand a pressure cooker is quite quick, although I am unsure of the details. I use a crockpot. Set it to low and let it go at least 24 hours. I have read that some swear by letting it go 48 hours at minimum. My batches have been done between 24 and 27 hours and have come out great, fwiw.

Hope this helps. :)

Kris

The other day I did a broth during 12 hours and the consistence after that was very thick. I like to drink broth but 24 hours is very expensive to do it. I imagine that more time you take to do it more the vitamins are there? vitamins from the bones, I mean.

Thanks RflctnOfU, I have to accelerated my reading of the Ketodiet!

loreta said:

The other day I did a broth during 12 hours and the consistence after that was very thick. I like to drink broth but 24 hours is very expensive to do it. I imagine that more time you take to do it more the vitamins are there? vitamins from the bones, I mean.

My experience is that simmering (just bubbling) on a low heat (110C) in the oven over night (making use of low electricity prices :)), extracts more of the goodness from the bones than less time. Much quicker is using a pressure cooker for between 3 to 4 hours - it comes out much thicker, as a by-product, as/and much more is extracted from the bones - as evident when they come out of the pressure cooker, and is much cheaper too. :)

The keto-adaption is highly recommended from the results produced so far, along with resistance training.

Prodigal Son said:
loreta said:

My experience is that simmering (just bubbling) on a low heat (110C) in the oven over night (making use of low electricity prices :)), extracts more of the goodness from the bones than less time. Much quicker is using a pressure cooker for between 3 to 4 hours - it comes out much thicker, as a by-product, as/and much more is extracted from the bones - as evident when they come out of the pressure cooker, and is much cheaper too. :)

I've found that 12 to 14 hours is plenty of time to get a rich, gelatinous broth. I was doing 24 hours or more, but because I have a small appartment, the smell of the broth cooking was actually waking me up at night with a growling stomach! I usually put bones and water, with a splash of apple cider vinegar, in the slow cooker in the morning and strain it, let it cool, and put it in the fridge in the evening before bed. This method is consistently getting me a flavourful, fatty, gelatinous broth :)

I don't know how much more in the way of nutrients would be extracted by doing 24 hours instead of 12 or so. I imagine that, as the broth reaches its saturation point, less and less will be extracted from the bones. I could be wrong about this, of course, but I imagine as the hours tick on you're getting diminished returns on increasing nutrition. There's only so much in the way of minerals a liquid can hold. Using new water is probably the best way to extract more nutrition from the same bones, OSIT.

RflctnOfU said:
I can't speak on the cooked bones from rib roast, however I have found a yummy way to make it. About 3 lbs of grass fed beef marrow bones, one onion chopped, one bulb of garlic - cloves crushed, 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, dash of white pepper, about 1/2 tsp of each of the following: cumin, tumeric, ginger, and a tiny dash of cayenne (opt.) splash of balsamic vinegar...cover with water about an inch. Turn crock pot on low. Let cook at least 24 hours. voila!! :)

We use bones from roasts and reuse the broth bones several times over with good results. Once they get soft, we crumble them and give them to the doggies with their food. Some of us like to add a bit of apple cider vinegar to our own bowls of broth after cooking. In the beginning of transitioning to a much higher fat intake, the vinegar seemed to help with digestion - but now we just like the taste!

Many people are sensitive to cayenne, so be careful if you haven't tested it already.

Andromeda said:
RflctnOfU said:
I can't speak on the cooked bones from rib roast, however I have found a yummy way to make it. About 3 lbs of grass fed beef marrow bones, one onion chopped, one bulb of garlic - cloves crushed, 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, dash of white pepper, about 1/2 tsp of each of the following: cumin, tumeric, ginger, and a tiny dash of cayenne (opt.) splash of balsamic vinegar...cover with water about an inch. Turn crock pot on low. Let cook at least 24 hours. voila!! :)

We use bones from roasts and reuse the broth bones several times over with good results. Once they get soft, we crumble them and give them to the doggies with their food. Some of us like to add a bit of apple cider vinegar to our own bowls of broth after cooking. In the beginning of transitioning to a much higher fat intake, the vinegar seemed to help with digestion - but now we just like the taste!

Cate Shanahan recommends putting a couple tablespoons of vinegar in from the beginning, to help leech out the minerals. So we tried that with the last two batches. Haven't really noticed a difference, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Approaching Infinity said:
Cate Shanahan recommends putting a couple tablespoons of vinegar in from the beginning, to help leech out the minerals. So we tried that with the last two batches. Haven't really noticed a difference, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

I always do that and it works really well. I also re-use bones for at least two batches of broth, but could probably easily use them for three or more.

Cate Shanahan recommends putting a couple tablespoons of vinegar in from the beginning, to help leech out the minerals.

And a reminder: no salt until after it's cooked - it works in reverse of the vinegar. ;)

I have some frozen chicken carcasses from roasts - should I leave them out to 'defrost' before putting them in a pot to boil?

Also, should I break a carcass down into smaller pieces or is using the whole carcass just as good? ie breaking some of the bones open.

Unfortunately most of my pans are 'hand-me-downs' from parents, so are of the more modern 'non-stick' variety, although no teflon. I do however have an older stainless steel pan that may be big enough - and also a large wok! that is not non-stick - what would be better suited? Alternatively I have no idea whether lining a pan with tin-foil might be workable? At the moment I can only work with what I have.

The only type of vinegar I have at the moment is south african grape vinegar - although the ingrediant list looks pretty dubious - "grape vinegar, water, caramel" and sulphur dioxide as a preservative -.- maybe I shouldn't waste the carcasses and should wait until I can buy something better.

Soluna said:
I have some frozen chicken carcasses from roasts - should I leave them out to 'defrost' before putting them in a pot to boil?

Also, should I break a carcass down into smaller pieces or is using the whole carcass just as good? ie breaking some of the bones open.

I toss frozen bones into the pot often - depending on how you thaw them, it might be safer to just toss them in the pot. Being frozen doesn't really affect the cooking time.
Soluna said:
Unfortunately most of my pans are 'hand-me-downs' from parents, so are of the more modern 'non-stick' variety, although no teflon. I do however have an older stainless steel pan that may be big enough - and also a large wok! that is not non-stick - what would be better suited? Alternatively I have no idea whether lining a pan with tin-foil might be workable? At the moment I can only work with what I have.

It's always a good idea to stay away from any non-stick. Is the wok aluminum? If so, I'd stay away from that too. I'd say go with the stainless and just make several batches if it's not as large as you may need.

I'll try it next batch. I do so love hearing good things about vinegar.

Thank you 1984 =) (year of my birth coincidentally!)

I just took a second look at our wok - and it appears to be non-stick coated - I was probably remembering our old one which I am pretty sure was iron.

The stainless steel pan is probably a reasonable sized boiler? it has steamers that fit into the top. I hope that will do then! I wonder if steaming veg over a broth whilst it's boiling would have any benefits...

Now I'll just remember to add some better vinegar to my shopping list and hope to find something suitable.

anart said:

I always do that and it works really well. I also re-use bones for at least two batches of broth, but could probably easily use them for three or more.

Well that's very nice to hear!

Seems like making bone broth not only is very healthy but can also be super-cheap if you re-use the bones.

I like that! Cheap, simple and good for the body!

I'll add the info in my "low budget diet thread".

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom