The infrabed

H2O said:
Ant22 said:

I hope it helps :)

Did it ever. I used the chat box, and was told they would give me a refund, and also send a prepaid label. :clap:

That option is pretty buried in their site, and I don't think I would have found it without your help..

In case it helps anybody, here is a copy of the chat: (...)

That's great news H2O, I'm glad it worked :) I think they make the contact option so hard to find on purpose, we both initially tried to find it on the website and we both couldn't.

Thanks for sharing the transcript, hopefully your lamp was an exception but if it wasn't, here's how to approach it with Amazon!

Anyone comment on the following:

Near Infrared”, “IRA”, “Short wave” or “Bright” Infrared heaters and “Heat Lamps” operate between 0.75 to 1.4 microns and emit temperatures of 1300°C and more plus a bright red visible light. Emitters are typically Quartz with a reflector to concentrate the heat in a particular direction. There are also gas-fired Near Infrared heaters which burn propane or natural gas through a venturi to heat a steel tube, which glows sufficiently hot to produce the near infrared.

Because of their high temperatures, near Infrared emitters are suitable for high intensity heat applications such as cooking and welding or thermoforming plastics. The heat is not suitable for Comfort heating applications. Near Infrared is deeply transmissive into Human and animal skin and is not effectively absorbed. To avoid the potential for damage, the skin has evolved to reflect large amounts of this wavelength which will not result in heating. Only infrared in the longer wavelengths assists with heat absorption in human and animal skin. Near infrared risks thermal burns to human and animal skin if a near infrared heater is placed too close to skin or if exposure is too long and ageing effects such as Bakers Arms and Glass-blowers face and eye damage can result from long term exposure. For Comfort heating, Medium and Longwave infrared should be considered, which don’t possess these harmful effects. Please see the attached article “Preferred wavelengths in Comfort Heating“.https://www.herschel-infrared-technology-center.com/wp-content/portal/whitepapers/CCII-00041-Preferred-wavelengths-for-Comfort-Heating.pdf
Notify

In Mexico you can find the 850nm lamp here: https://www.tecnoplaza.com.mx/cctv_1/accesorios-de-cctv_10/auxiliar-infrarrojo-led-base-ajustable.html
Just consider you need a power source (also available there)
Thanks to all the team for the valuables tips.

In Europe Beurer produces various models. Here is a point from the FAQ about the wavelength:
_https://www.beurer.com/web/en/service/faq/faq_infrared_lamps.php said:
What is the infrared spectrum of Beurer infrared lamps/infrared products?
IL11, IL21, IL50 ...

IL11 (item number: 614.01)
• Infrared wavelength range: IRA + IRB
• Dominant wavelength: 1100nm

IL21 (item number: 616.01)
• Dominant wavelength: 1100nm

IL35 (item number: 616.11)
• Dominant wavelength: 1100 nm

IL50 (item number: 619.00)
• Dominant wavelength: 1250nm
Today I received the IL 50, which appear to be on sale for 50 Euro: _Euros: https://www.amazon.de/Beurer-Infrarot-W%C3%A4rmestrahler-Infrarotlampe-Erk%C3%A4ltungen-Muskelverspannungen/dp/B001Q3S39K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519160618&sr=8-2&keywords=beurer+50 There is a 15 minute timer, and it is recommended to hold it 30 cm from the body. Well it does get hot and obviously one does not wish to start a fire og get burned.

Without a timer, there is the IL 11 with a 100 W bulb: _https://www.amazon.de/Beurer-Infrarotlampe-Medizinprodukt-Muskelverspannung-Neigungsstufen/dp/B000KKEFVK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1519160882&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=beurer+11&psc=1

Pierre said:
Keyhole said:
It all looks fantastic :wow: Great work!!!

I knew you would like it :)

Can you imagine: 2600 LEDs massaging your whole body with their super healthy frequency :cheer:

I am just coming to this now, and after looking at the AliExpress site, I notice it says 850/940nm. Is that therefore the range of the LED lights? 850nm to 940nm? I have sent an inquiry to the seller to confirm the IR frequencies.
I would have used cables and weights to counterbalance the weight of the upper NIR bed, so your approach was interesting, especially as I had never heard of the gas springs you are using, although I am familiar with car boot(trunk) springs, which I thought were tensioned to exert force away from the middle of the spring as opposed to the more common use which is to exert force towards the middle of the spring. Maybe gas springs for car boots are more common in Europe.

Pierre said:
Arwenn said:
I would be very interested to see what the results are with regards to your migraines. How often do you get them and do you get any prodromal symptoms (flashing lights, visual phenomena etc)?

It started years ago but it got more frequent over the past few years. Now, it happens about once a week. It starts with a 2-3 days build-up phase when neck tensions keep increasing, then the migraine crisis occurs and lasts 1-3 days. Naproxen (1 to 3 pills a day) works most of the times and alleviates 50 to 90% the pain. Then I'm migraine free for a few days and the cycle starts again.

It is not really an ophthalmic migraine but more likely a cluster migraine. The pain is mostly located in varying regions of the temporal and prefrontal area. It is throbbing with heart beats.

Usually there is not prodrome, only a high sensitivity to light coupled to a sensitivity to any noise or movements, especially bending, lying down or standing up.

Aggravating factors are stress, fatigue, efforts, heat and smoking (nicotine is a vasoconstrictor). Any external stimulus becomes a source of irritation. So I cope by living in "slow motion": avoiding any extra effort and heat, moving slower, speaking less, staying in quiet environment, reducing smoking.

During acute crisis, my thinking is foggy, nausea appears and speech is a bit slurry.

Hi Pierre, sorry to hear that you have been suffering from migraines.

It might sound somewhat strange, but one thing affecting migraines could be the "accommodation strain" of the eyes, especially in people over 40, when the "presbyopia" starts to affect. (Apologies for taking the thread off topic.)

From this age and increasingly onwards, the lens of the eye becomes less and less flexible. The ciliary muscle (controls the accommodation process of the eye) has to work harder to make the lens change its refraction to see objects up close (reading). As the ciliary muscle is linked directly to the ciliary ganglion and further to the autonomic nervous system, "overworking" the muscle (reading a lot, looking at computer screens, doing close work, etc) can cause migraines and headaches.

So, wearing appropriate reading glasses could alleviate migraine symptoms.

Most people have hyperopic eyes, meaning the eyeball is "too short". They say that the eyes have been designed by nature to be like this. Hyperopia enables the eye to see better in dark conditions: so called "night myopia" phenomenon.
In night myopia, the eye becomes somewhat nearsighted in dim light.

If the eye was perfectly "round" (emmetropic eye), when looking to the distance, the ciliary muscle would not have to constrict, it would be in a relaxed state. In daylight, the vision would be 20/20. But when the light dims, "night myopia" would start to affect, and objects in the distance would become blurry. Due to night myopia and the changes it causes in the lens, objects in the distance are focussed in front of the retina in the round/ emmetropic eye, hence the blurriness.

With the too short (hyperopic) eye, the ciliary muscle has to constrict when looking in the distance (and even more so when looking at objects up close). However, the too short eye would not be affected by night myopia: as the focussing point for objects in the distance moves forward within the eye, and as the eye is "too short", it manages keep the focus on the retina and see clearly far.

This type of eye was understandably at an advantage during paleolithic times. During modern times though, with all the reading and computer/ smartphone work, it is at a disadvantage, especially when the lens starts to become less flexible with age. The ciliary muscle becomes "strained" and in susceptible people headaches, migraines and other autonomic nervous system ailments can ensue. Simple reading glasses (in the "plus" direction) could help.

It is a complicated and simple concept at the same time!

Here is some further information (unfortunately the pictures don't seem to work at the moment):

kaisuviikari.com

(Ophthalmogist Kaisu Viikari had loads of migraine patients flocking to her practice, and she was able to "cure" their migraines and headaches by only prescribing them approriate glasses. She describes the process in her books.)

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25228.msg295582.html#msg295582

On the other side of the coin, the accommodation strain can become a "cramp" and cause a "pseudomyopia" of the lens of the eye (aka school myopia). This cramp could be released and vision restored by using plus glasses for reading. If minus glasses are prescribed as is usually done, the person sees clearly in the distance, but the young malleable eye can grow in anatomical length, causing irreversible, true myopia.

Even in older years when the eye has become irreversibly myopic, the worsening of the myopia can be stopped by wearing glasses that have "plus additions". People can experience improvement of vision at that stage too, if there has been pseudomyopia involved in the "total" myopia (total myopia = pseudomyopia of the lens + anatomical true myopia).
And of course, headaches and migraines and other autonomic nervous system originated symptoms could improve.

https://youtu.be/YiuC7a1lkrk

anarkist said:
Pierre said:
Keyhole said:
It all looks fantastic :wow: Great work!!!

I knew you would like it :)

Can you imagine: 2600 LEDs massaging your whole body with their super healthy frequency :cheer:

I am just coming to this now, and after looking at the AliExpress site, I notice it says 850/940nm. Is that therefore the range of the LED lights? 850nm to 940nm? I have sent an inquiry to the seller to confirm the IR frequencies.

I had the same question before ordering the LED strips so when I placed the order I specified that we wanted 850 nm LEDs. When we received the strips I checked them and '850 nm' was written on the packaging.

I would have used cables and weights to counterbalance the weight of the upper NIR bed, so your approach was interesting, especially as I had never heard of the gas springs you are using, although I am familiar with car boot(trunk) springs, which I thought were tensioned to exert force away from the middle of the spring as opposed to the more common use which is to exert force towards the middle of the spring. Maybe gas springs for car boots are more common in Europe.

I thought about the counterweight solution too but thought that the gas springs would be a more elegant solution. We used gas spring for car trunks (range = 20 cm or more, force = 300 N or more) and, yes, it's very common in Europe.

hiker said:

It might sound somewhat strange, but one thing affecting migraines could be the "accommodation strain" of the eyes, especially in people over 40, when the "presbyopia" starts to affect. (Apologies for taking the thread off topic.)

From this age and increasingly onwards, the lens of the eye becomes less and less flexible. The ciliary muscle (controls the accommodation process of the eye) has to work harder to make the lens change its refraction to see objects up close (reading). As the ciliary muscle is linked directly to the ciliary ganglion and further to the autonomic nervous system, "overworking" the muscle (reading a lot, looking at computer screens, doing close work, etc) can cause migraines and headaches.

Actually, I was prescribed glasses months ago because I have difficulty reading words when they are too close to my eyes (less than 35cm). But never bought theose glasses. The prescription is as follow:
- right eye: +0.00
- left eye: +0.50, (-0.25 at 80°)
From what you say, I'll buy those glasses and give them a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pierre said:
Actually, I was prescribed glasses months ago because I have difficulty reading words when they are too close to my eyes (less than 35cm). But never bought theose glasses. The prescription is as follow:
From what you say, I'll buy those glasses and give them a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Before you buy the glasses, you could actually try cheap plus glasses that one can get from e.g. chemists (usually at ab. 10 euros).

If your refraction (+0.00 +0.50 (-0.25 at 80°)) was determined while you looked to the letters away on the wall, it sounds like you would benefit from more plus addition for reading. (Plus glasses "relax" the ciliary muscle, and thus it does not need to constrict & strain as much while doing close work, and irritate the ciliary ganglion/ the autonomic nervous system)

As the glasses are quite cheap, you could get maybe +1.00, +1.50 and +2.00, and see which feel the best and most comfortable.

Reading Viikari's books, it seems that particular person's eye refraction is always in motion, it is not set in stone. One day the refraction can be this, the next day it can be different! For example, my brother was prescribed minus glasses while in school (I don't remember the values, maybe -0.75), but he found them uncomfortable to wear so he ditched them. Later he visited an ophthalmologist, and he stated that my brother had perfect vision and does not need distance glasses at all!

Viikari was also highly critical of cylindrical values, as they too are never constant. Instead she favoured the spherical equivalent:

kaisuviikari.com/accommodative-astigmatism/

The formula for changing a combination lens into the spherical equivalent =
the dioptric value + cylindrical value divided by 2

So, in your case
right: +0.00
left: +0.50 (-0.25 at 80°) > +0.50 -0.125 = +0.375

As the refraction of your eyes are almost "even", I think you could safely try the glasses mentioned above.
Eventually you then could tell the ophthalmologist that you need reading glasses, which have plus addition.

I highly recommend checking Viikari's website. She passed away last year, but the person who maintains the website said it will be upheld until the unforeseeable future. (The maintainer commented that the website was hacked and virus-infected. Moving the website to a different platform, the pictures disappeared, but eventually he is planning to get them back online.)

hiker said:
So, in your case

As the refraction of your eyes are almost "even", I think you could safely try the glasses mentioned above.
Eventually you then could tell the ophthalmologist that you need reading glasses, which have plus addition.

Just a quick tidbit about the "refractive difference between the two eyes": :)

https://kaisuviikari.com/anisometropia/

ANISOMETROPIA, REFRACTIVE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO EYES

Dominance is also relevant to eyes, in other words one eye dominates the other. In the very same way as some people jump with the right foot and others write with their left hand, one eye of a person often is dominant, or stronger.

The stronger eye is capable of more forceful accommodation, and ends up being more tense. This is the start for anisometropia, or refractive difference between the eyes.

This can be established by an examination, but if this type of difference, which usually is minor to begin with, is taken into consideration in a prescription, an opportunity is simultaneously created for making this difference larger. This is why it is fully justified, initially anyway, to proceed with equally strong glasses, as a person who has up till now been looking through “equal” lenses will not find this type of glasses disturbing even now.

Pierre said:
hiker said:

This may be considered off topic, perhaps it is a bridge to the NeurOptiomal thread, but since headaches came up here, and is possibly connected to IR light and/or NeurOptimal.
I was doing some research on IR light and came across a youtube video on bulletproof radio about the dangers of hacking lighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLnYV4Fq4k (30 Sep 2016)

I was watching/listening to it, and he mentioned Helen Irlen and the Irlen method.
My interest was piqued, as I seem to have some form of dyslexia, and I can not speed read, and although I don't get headaches, they are mentioned as a symptom of this brain problem, which you mentioned Pierre, so that's why I am writing this. So I checked out some more Helen Irlen Dave Asprey videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzEzB7eOO_k (18 Feb 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDLTGTlUYA (16 Mar 2016)

After that I went to her site at
https://irlen.com/get-tested/ and did the self tests. They were interesting, but there was no instant feedback.
One affect I found interesting was changing the background colour of the screen on her page.(there are eyeglass icons at the top of the page which when clicked on change the background colour of the page) I noticed an immediate relaxing affect when I changed the colour. I was not aware I was tense, until I changed the background colour! Is it psychological affect, in terms of preferring different colours?

I have emailed a few 'screeners' in my area to see about being tested before I do my first NeurOptimal.
The reason I would like to do that is because Helen Irlen saya that there is a perceptual problem in the brain, not a vision problem, that causes problems for some people, so I wanted to be tested by an Irlen screener before the NeuOptimal, and then again after the NeurOptimal is finished. Since it is a brain problem, will the NeurOptimal affect my brain to the point, that if I have a Irlen perceptual problem, it will be 'fixed'?

It might be useful for you to do the self tests Pierre, because questions are asked which point to the major symptoms of people with a vision perception problem, symptoms that we may not be aware of if we have spent our entire life 'compensating' for the perceptual problem. Dave Asprey tells a story that he had flat feet, and it caused discomfort for him to walk, but he thought everyone had that problem, and it wasn't until he got orthotics that he realized that no, it doesn't have to hurt when you walk! Actually it would be interesting for anyone to do the self tests, if you feel there might be something there after watching the youtube videos.

Mod: Please feel free to post elsewhere. I am going to post in the NeurOptimal thread to point here.

Hiker said:
So, in your case

Thanks for the advise. I'll get those cheap glasses with the correction you recommended and see how it goes. Plus, if it works I'll save hundreds of euros because glasses are expensive here in France.

Anarkist said:
It might be useful for you to do the self tests Pierre, because questions are asked which point to the major symptoms of people with a vision perception problem, symptoms that we may not be aware of if we have spent our entire life 'compensating' for the perceptual problem.

I tried changing the background color of the Irlen website and it definitely had an effect. The green background was the most relaxing, and I don't think it's due to a color bias because my favorite color is not green but blue.

Pierre said:
Anarkist said:
It might be useful for you to do the self tests Pierre, because questions are asked which point to the major symptoms of people with a vision perception problem, symptoms that we may not be aware of if we have spent our entire life 'compensating' for the perceptual problem.

I tried changing the background color of the Irlen website and it definitely had an effect. The green background was the most relaxing, and I don't think it's due to a color bias because my favorite color is not green but blue.

yes, my colour was the first purple.
I heard back from 2 of the Screeners, and it is 260$Cdn after taxes for the test(screening) and includes a telephone pre-screening, the screening, and coloured transparent sheet if I have Irlens, and a written report. If I see the Diagnostician, that is 995$ after taxes and includes filtered glasses. It is a little rich for me right now, well at any time I think. Plus there is the issue for me of blocking blue light. I might ask them if theiir Spectral glasses can also be tinted to block blue light, but I won't be moving forward on this regardless.

Back
Top Bottom