The Magnesium Miracle

I have read with interest the reports of Magnesium L-Threonate and positive impact on memory and well-being. I have tried this supplement and I did not experience any benefits at all. In fact, all it did was make me feel more tired than I usually am. Any thoughts on why this should be?

kcutti01 said:
I have read with interest the reports of Magnesium L-Threonate and positive impact on memory and well-being. I have tried this supplement and I did not experience any benefits at all. In fact, all it did was make me feel more tired than I usually am. Any thoughts on why this should be?

Hi kcutti01,

Welcome to this forum,

Magnesium by itself might not do so much as to radically change the way your body works/ feels. There is much more involved than that:
- heavy metal toxicity
- diet
- stress reduction
- spiritual dimension etc.
So if you don't tackle pretty much all of these issues, you might not feel any improvement, or even some worsening, that probably is coincidental. If you search this forum for the above mentioned issues, you will find a wealth of information that can truly change your life.

We generally ask any newcomer to post a quick introduction here to tell everyone how you found us and who you are - nothing personal, just a quick intro.

:)

My wife and have been taking magnesium daily for about a year and just noticed we have not caught the flu even when, daily, we get in close contact with people that have it. We are guessing the magnesium has improved our immune system.

I have a question about magnesium intake. Should we take it with calcium in relation 1:2 so that it can be better absorbed? Is there any recommendation about daily dose?

Many thanks

Altair

Altair, i started taking:

Ethical Nutrients, Bone Builder MCHC with Magnesium, Boron & Vitamin D, 220 Tablets (20$)

_http://www.iherb.com/Ethical-Nutrients-Bone-Builder-MCHC-with-Magnesium-Boron-Vitamin-D-220-Tablets/21233

Which advises: Magnesium in 2:1 calcium to magnesium ratio to support healthy bones. (when in combination with Phosphorous and boron and vitamin D, as per the directions below).

I bought this product as it listed most of the minerals mentioned by Nagiel 'Cure Tooth Decay' and was cheap enough :)

Though i like the product, it is processed well and contains no really bad additives, it can 'upset' the stomach - probably the magnesium oxide? - and i don't believe the magnesium is sufficient at 167mg. I understand we are looking at a minimum of 400mg of Glycinate/Citrate daily (not stearate or oxide).

Also, i just noticed i'm supposed to be taking FOUR daily (which makes that 167mg x 2 = 334mg). They are the size of a small baguette so i am quite surprised, and i've not been taking enough. :rolleyes:

From all i have heard and read, magnesium is just so important that i will probably focus on a getting the magneisum type and dose correct rather than a happy combination of the minerals i need in one pill.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Tablets
Serving Per Container: 110

Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 133 IU 33%
Calcium (as MCHC dicalcium phosphate) 333 mg 33%
Phosphorus (as MCHC dicalcium phosphate) 197 mg 20%
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium oxide) 167 mg 42%
Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite Concentrate† (MCHC) 1050 mg *
Boron (as boron citrate) 200 mcg *

*Daily Value not established.
†Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite Concentrate (MCHC) supplies calcium, phosphorus, and trace quantities of other minerals.
Bone Builder is comprehensive bone support formula that features:

MCHC (microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate), a calcium-rich bone food that supports healthy bone mineralization, density, and strength. MCHC contain calcium, phosphorous, and organic factors that naturally comprise raw bone. The MCHC in Bone Builder is cryogenically processed to preserve the delicate protein matrix and organic factors.
Magnesium in 2:1 calcium to magnesium ratio to support healthy bones.
Boron, a trace minder that may play a role in maintaining healthy calcium balance.
Vitamin D, an essential nutrient for the maintenance of healthy bones.

Suggested Use

Take two tablets twice daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Other Ingredients

Microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, stearic acid (vegetable), silica, and coating (water, hypromellose, medium chain triglycerides, and hydroxypropylcellulose).

This product is gluten free.

Formulated to Exclude: Wheat, gluten, soy, dairy products, egg, nuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, colors, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives.

Sorry Altair, i don't think i was clear:

"From all i have heard and read, magnesium is just so important that i will probably focus on a getting the magneisum type and dose correct rather than a happy combination of the minerals i need in one pill."

What i meant is that, Magnesium is so important that i will focus on finding magneisum in type and dose over whether it has the correct calcium ratio or whether it contains boron/vitamin D and so on...

Also, i found this:

The Clinical Resource for Cellular Nutrition & Trace Mineral Analysis

[looks well referenced as a site]

http://www.acu-cell.com/mr.html

Mineral Ratios for Calcium, Magnesium and other Elements,
and their Relationship to Spinal Manipulation and Alignment

Outside of testing intracellular levels, there is no easy answer as to whether a patient should supplement
only calcium, only magnesium, or both,
and if a "Cal-Mag" formulation is used, what the ratio should be.
Serum calcium (or magnesium) tests are of no benefit since serum calcium is pretty well fixed, with dietary
changes having little impact on its value.
To varying degrees, the same applies to most other minerals or trace elements, or there is a non-linear
response, where low values can only be raised up to a certain level through diet or supplementation. Cellular
levels and ratios on the other hand do not have those limitations and continue to increase / decrease linearly
in response to dietary or supplemental intake, or they change in response to various medical conditions.
¤

http://www.acu-cell.com/mr.html

So it seems that there is advice, but it can vary depending on your general health, genetic make up, intake and so on... Which is why, unless i hear/read from the experts here, i will focus on finding myself a magnesium product first and foremost. I am sure i read here also, that if we are eating relatively healthily, we are already receiving adequate calcium, it's only because we are lacking in the other minerals which assist in the synthesis of calcium that we have problems.... (don't quote me ;)

(i had another page open, this seems to support the other information)
Calcium to Magnesium: How the Ratio Affects Your Health

Juvenon Health Journal volume 10 number 5 - May 2011

By Benjamin V. Treadwell, Ph.D.

http://www.juvenon.com/calcium-to-magnesium-how-the-ratio-affects-your-health-511/

"
Calcium vs. Magnesium

Adult calcium deficiency is not as prevalent in Western society. Thanks to our diet, Americans have significantly greater blood and tissue concentrations of calcium than people in East Asia, for example. The higher level of calcium, relative to magnesium, is important. As divalent cations (ions with a double positive charge), the two nutrients compete for absorption into the blood stream.

A similar situation occurs in tissues. If there is an excess of the calcium cation, it can effectively prevent the magnesium cation from entering the cell, or acting to elicit biochemical reactions by binding to its cognate molecule.

To put it another way, a higher calcium to magnesium ratio encourages a magnesium deficiency. As previously mentioned, this condition has been linked to significant health concerns.
[...]
Calcium Control

The most important messages from this study seem to be avoiding magnesium deficiency and maintaining a healthy calcium to magnesium ratio. Keeping calcium levels in balance may be advisable for other reasons.

For example, there is evidence that an excess of this element may inhibit the production of vitamin D3, a nutrient believed to help regulate calcium levels. During 70-plus years of research, scientists have drawn correlations between an inadequate supply of Vitamin D3 and a long list of health concerns, including some forms of cancer and diabetes. (See Juvenon Health Journal, Volume 5, Number 4, “Vitamin D — Recent Provocative Discoveries.”)

The solution, supported by the Vanderbilt University study and others, may be to take a supplement containing calcium, magnesium and vitamin D3 together. The recommended daily intake for calcium is 800-1200 mg/day, magnesium 400 mg/day (varying based on age and weight), and D3 600 IU/day (soon to be higher according to experts in the field).

Of course, you should consult your health professional to establish what your body’s needs are in relation to your diet. By reducing deficiencies, especially in magnesium (key to those 300-plus biochemical processes mentioned earlier), we may be able to lower the risk of many health concerns.

itellsya said:
Which advises: Magnesium in 2:1 calcium to magnesium ratio to support healthy bones. (when in combination with Phosphorous and boron and vitamin D, as per the directions below).

A calcium magnesium ratio of 2:1 is not advised, as far as I know. The thing we're mostly lacking in, is magnesium. Calcium is more easily available to us.

The magnesium types that are best absorbed are magnesium oil, magnesium glycinate, magnesium malate, and magnesium citrate. But I don't think you'd need to have any calcium with that. For strong bones, bone broth could be really good! Fwiw.

Oxajil said:
itellsya said:

A calcium magnesium ratio of 2:1 is not advised, as far as I know. The thing we're mostly lacking in, is magnesium. Calcium is more easily available to us.

The magnesium types that are best absorbed are magnesium oil, magnesium glycinate, magnesium malate, and magnesium citrate. But I don't think you'd need to have any calcium with that. For strong bones, bone broth could be really good! Fwiw.

Thanks Oxajil :)
do you know something about recommended daily dosage of magnesium?

A good dose of magnesium would be around 600mg. If you take too much, it will have a laxative effect.

More info here:

http://www.sott.net/article/220946-Magnesium-The-Spark-of-Life

To benefit from magnesium supplementation, take chelated magnesium (bound to organic amino acids) for maximum absorption: magnesium citrate, malate, orotate, taurate, or magnesium glycinate. Do not use magnesium oxide because it is basically a laxative. The recommended dose is 6-8mg/kg of body weight (3 to 4.5 mg/lb), although 200mg four times per day is a better dose. If this dose has a laxative effect, cut down by 200mg until this effect stops. Spread your magnesium doses throughout the day because there is only so much you can absorb at one time. As you remedy your deficiencies over time, you might need less supplementation - your stools will tell you.

Gaby said:
A good dose of magnesium would be around 600mg. If you take too much, it will have a laxative effect.

More info here:

http://www.sott.net/article/220946-Magnesium-The-Spark-of-Life

To benefit from magnesium supplementation, take chelated magnesium (bound to organic amino acids) for maximum absorption: magnesium citrate, malate, orotate, taurate, or magnesium glycinate. Do not use magnesium oxide because it is basically a laxative. The recommended dose is 6-8mg/kg of body weight (3 to 4.5 mg/lb), although 200mg four times per day is a better dose. If this dose has a laxative effect, cut down by 200mg until this effect stops. Spread your magnesium doses throughout the day because there is only so much you can absorb at one time. As you remedy your deficiencies over time, you might need less supplementation - your stools will tell you.

Magnesium requiremenst vary considerably depending on the state of your body. I usually take 4 - 5 mag-maleate tablets per day (1 tablet is around 150mg of mag). Recently I was sick and my body was able to absorb 15 tablets a day without diarrhea.

The way to go in my opinion is to progressively up the dose until you start noticing the laxative effect, then back off a bit. This might need to be done regularely, especially if the body drifts out of the normal zone.

That's a great article Gaby, very clear, thank you.

Magnesium malate is the best form to treat the chronic fatigue, pain, and insomnia of fibromyalgia.

This is really interesting, i think i'll try this next!

Can you please recommend a particular type and brand of magnesium for me to get? I know from Ketoadapted that magnesium oxide is no good. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom