The Magnesium Miracle

Is there an edit button here that I am missing? I wanted to add this to my post but can't find the edit button. I did read as much of the links as I could. I would be days reading everything via search ;) I still am not finding the very basic answers to my questions (posted above). I just didn't want you all to think I skipped right over the links. I do understand how important mag is and so on. I am now seeking the basic info and can't find it :)

The best form of magnesium to take is a chelated magnesium, such as magnesium malate or magnesium orotate.
From the studies I've looked at, magnesium orotate is the best for bioavailability (meaning, it gets into the blood stream).

I personally like the Atrium brand of magnesium orotate, because the tablets are not much bigger than an aspirin tablet (easy to swallow) and it does not contain a lot of fillers. They are 500 mg tablets, but only 35 mg will make it to the blood stream. If you are just starting to supplement, I would take (2) 500 mg tablets morning, and (2) 500 mg tablets before bed. You may also add a Potassium supplement to evening dose.

You can also take magnesium baths and absorb it thru the skin. I like the magnesium flakes from swansonvitamins.com (they are around $15/kilo, but guaranteed pure, as the Epsom salts you can purchase from WalMart or Walgreens, may contain contaminants and cannot be trusted). You can also purchase Magnesium Oil from Swanson's and apply it topically to increase your levels.

The importance of magnesium cannot be emphasized enough, as it is involved in every single cell process in the body. If it is lacking, things will go haywire! The only way to know what your levels are is a blood test. But since magnesium is depleted from our mono-cropped soil, it is not in our food, so everyone needs to supplement.

Once you've loaded up - which may take a month or more, a maintenance dose of (2) 500 mg tablets daily would suffice. OSIT.

added: once you've reached 50 posts, you will be able to modify posts. The edit feature is only available for a half an hour after the post is made.

BethApril said:
I am truly appreciative - I really am!! But I am so confused. Okay lets just assume that I KNOW all I need is mag. (I know it's not but just to help me at least get a grasp on the mag topic first.) What kind is best? What dose? Taken with what to help it out?

Best sources of magnesium are: mag-glycinate, mag-taurate and mag-citrate. I personally like citrate the best, it comes in powdered form and is quite tasty.

Just start with a dose, like 1g twice a day and add a gram per day until you get looses stools (you have reached your bowel tolerance) and just cut back a bit. Notice, that over time your bowel tolerance tends to fluctuate, especially if you are sick - usually you can ingest much higher doses then.

In addition to that you can spray mag oil on your skin or take mag baths to further increase your mag intake.

Hope that helps clear some of the confusion.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed Lilou's post essentially saying the same ...

I began using transdermal magnesium - in the bath and making an oil. Then moved to magnesium citrate tablets - 200mg from Now foods. As i transitioned Keto i bought some magnesium citrate powder because the pills were the size of baguettes and i thought to get the desired 800mg (which my bowels were quite fearful of!) the powder would be easier.

It was, and i definitely have gotten myself to a place where i can handle 400mg in one drop, if not 600mg. And i'm actually feeling the benefit of it 'keeping you moving', where as whilst transitioning, it was the bane of my life. Running to the toilet was becoming quite tiresome!

I did find one issue with the powder. After using it for a while, i noticed that my teeth were reacting really badly. I do have mild periodontal disease (receding gums) but i found rather than healing - which it was due to my protocol - it began to get worse! Part of the exposed area was turning grey! So i googled and got:
_https://www.bulletproofexec.com/sleep-hacking-part-3-falling-asleep-fast-with-biochemistry/
Dave Asprey ArmiLegge • 3 years ago

Totally agree about magnesium. There is a risk of Natural Calm - if you drink it hot like I did (I love the taste), make sure you rinse with hydrogen peroxide or baking soda afterwards. I dissolved the outer layers of my enamel by letting the mag citrate sit on my teeth. My dentist pointed it out on an xray and then told me I needed 4 bridges (that was 4 years ago). But being a biohacker, I politely told her to pound sand and went with another treatment, first using ozone to sterilize the teeth, then remineralization paste. Cost me $150 and avoided all 4 bridges, with no cavities even 4 years later.

Now, to my knowledge, i wasn't letting it 'sit on my teeth' more so than anything else, but i obviously took the advice and now thoroughly (oh so thoroughly) rinse with bicarbonate of soda and i am slowly moving back to where i was before the issue. I may be predisposed as my mouth is always hot and dry and my mother has periodontal but I hadn't read that it was an issue ANYWHERE, even the very busy magnesium facebook group i'm in. However, for me this is such a pain, maybe because i am so worried, but either way, i think i will go back to the pills. I've looked into making my own gelatin mag pills - buying empty pills and filling - but it seems like more work than it's worth.

For me, it has been one of the most important tools for dealing with my whiplash, - it should be first on the list for anyone with muscle issues - and it really helps with my insomnia. And i'm just about to run out...

ps. i've noticed in the UK, the Now foods mag citrate has gone from 200mg for 250 at like 15GBP then in a few weeks it's gone to 20GBP and i can't find any in stock on amazon anywere! Even 'doctors best' are out of stock. Strange.

itellsya said:
ps. i've noticed in the UK, the Now foods mag citrate has gone from 200mg for 250 at like 15GBP then in a few weeks it's gone to 20GBP and i can't find any in stock on amazon anywere! Even 'doctors best' are out of stock. Strange.

That's been happening a lot, more so recently. I ordered mag malate like 2 days ago & I went to my recent orders page to bring up the link & post it here but a 404 message - page doesn't exist - popped up repeatedly. Same for other products such as "Dr's best" (a good alpha lipoic acid one) which I ordered months ago, gone... page doesn't exist! IMO there's a crackdown on the better products being used by those "in the know" who are trying to get & ARE getting better. Time to do some wholesale stocking-up I think. Just in case you weren't aware of it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Extension-Magnesium-Citrate-Capsules/dp/B000LLULUM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1409800601&sr=8-13&keywords=magnesium+citrate

Ingredients - vegetable cellulose, (capsule) L-leucine. Gelatin, magnesium stearate. 160mg, 100 caps. Not one I've used myself but it's getting tougher on Amazon UK. And Now foods seem to be quite popular from what I can determine. Perhaps someone's had a word in their ear?

Ascien said:
That's been happening a lot, more so recently. I ordered mag malate like 2 days ago & I went to my recent orders page to bring up the link & post it here but a 404 message - page doesn't exist - popped up repeatedly. Same for other products such as "Dr's best" (a good alpha lipoic acid one) which I ordered months ago, gone... page doesn't exist! IMO there's a crackdown on the better products being used by those "in the know" who are trying to get & ARE getting better. Time to do some wholesale stocking-up I think. Just in case you weren't aware of it:
_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Extension-Magnesium-Citrate-Capsules/dp/B000LLULUM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1409800601&sr=8-13&keywords=magnesium+citrate

Ingredients - vegetable cellulose, (capsule) L-leucine. Gelatin, magnesium stearate. 160mg, 100 caps. Not one I've used myself but it's getting tougher on Amazon UK. And Now foods seem to be quite popular from what I can determine. Perhaps someone's had a word in their ear?

Thank you Ascien, that's very kind of you :) (supplement hunting really is team work)

So i didn't want to get lost in yet another Magnesium hunt, but you forced me! That was actually one of the best deals for citrate and one i hadn't seen before, i saw a few others but nothing like the selection we've been used to. I've attached a pdf (can't insert table without requiring formatting - and i hated math at school so corrections welcome)

I wasn't planning on buying any today, but after hearing that you're having similar realisations Ascien (and that i actually have the money at this moment) i just thought i'd risk it. Seriously, i had the same issue, previous 'saved' items no longer showing in amazon and searching manually they were Out of stock or 404, like you said! I suspect similar, after all the UK government hasn't been too shy about it's view towards supplements, and the high street shops with their super weak supplements (and super expensive) are a testament to that, osit. I did order a load from the US a while ago, but then 70GBP+ of 'charges'...

Issues with the purchase are: in the ingredients is Acacia gum , and i checked and it may interfere with cholesterol, but for one time i'm ok with it. I've been wanting to try malate - apparently good for nerves and sleep, my issues - for a while, and it's actually 'affordable' as it is (see table i put together). Oh, i see you're actually taking malate.

Source Naturals, Magnesium Malate, 1,250 mg, 360 Tablets - 141mg per pill
_http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GFJJKQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

RRP: £20.39
Price: £19.99 (£2.59 / 100 g) & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details
You Save: £0.40 (2%)
Only 7 left in stock.

And it delivers faster than the rest, either next day option or the free normal 3-5 days. I'll be out of magnesium by then but at least some is on it's way!
So, it may be a 'rushed purchase' but at this very moment it seems like my best option.... :halo:

Attachments

• Sept 2014 Mag .pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi itellsya, I had a look at that table, I WOULD NOT touch Solgar products for anything. They have virtually every filler & poison that's well known to us, these guys are prominent in health food stores on the high street, like "Planet Organic" for instance. And their tablets are like mini golf balls. Actually I wouldn't trust the rest for magnesium. Nature's life I don't know (probably do but I screen stuff for various items minerals vitamins etc, & if they're cack I forget 'em) source naturals from memory has dodgy stuff in general, certain brands will do one, two, or even three products well but if they carry more, the greater the chances of numerous harmful ingredients. That's been my experience hunting for the "cleanest" goods. Some forum members swear by Swanson's too. Life extension are good for one or two products only, from what I've seen. BTW, there's this from Thorne research:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnesium-Citrate-90-Veggie-Caps/dp/B000FGZG4Y/ref=sr_1_31?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1409840890&sr=1-31&keywords=magnesium+supplements

Ingredients

One Capsule Contains:
Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate) 135 mg.
Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.

Ok it's got silicon dioxide but at least it doesn't repeat unlike mag stearate (better if from a vegetarian source) & stearic acid (again better from veggie source) which if you add up, you get concerning levels from just a few different supplements... worse if they're low doses meaning you require several capsules to reach a good amount for the day. I breathe a sigh of relief every time I get away from certain repeating ingredients. It's quite difficult to pick your poisonous so I don't know about acacia gum. I try & focus (when out of stock type situations arise) on other "neighbouring" products that focus on an area of the body like taurine which aids the nervous system. Also helps to transport magnesium, potassium & others around along with nerve impulses. So it works well with mag & hopefully, any remaining mag in the system will be readily available when the supplement itself is running low, as in our cases. Or NAC & ALA. I've also made mag oil & still have enough flakes but I don't really feel any effect when I use it (spray) so now I want the capsules again.

I've also made mag oil & still have enough flakes but I don't really feel any effect when I use it (spray) so now I want the capsules again.
You know, i actually did feel a difference with the mag spray, but i had quite serious issues/locked muscles and i made it as strong as possible, as well as having mag baths and in pill form (but this was when i could only handle like 400mg).

I know from this mag group i'm in that they say transdermal is very effective, but like you, i get the best effect from taking it internally. One idea that has been doing the rounds in the group, with good reviews, is 'mag-a-hol' - basic overview below.
_http://magaholmagic.blogspot.co.uk/
Since this was Alcohol based complex, it was imperative that I gave it a stability to prevent its evaporation .
So I decided to add Glycerin which was harmless to human skin and gave softness . It also mixed with alcohol and prevented it from evaporation.

Having all the ingredients on hand, I set about mixing them.
I first started adding Magnesium chloride to alcohol . I went on adding over 80, 100 gms ,120 gms of Magnesium chloride in 200 ml of Alcohol. But the hungry beast it was , it gobbled up whatever amount I put in. I stopped myself at 160 gms.
this was the best deal i found delivering in the UK
Magnesium Chloride Flakes 5kg tub
Price: £23.95
_http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OX63SY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, i am glad, if a little saddened, that you brought up the evil fillers/additives, because as i mentioned, i was on a panic buy, and kinda forgot. Plus, there is so much research on which are less evil than others, like you with the kak products, i'd put it the back of my mind. I had considered alternative supplements that provide a similar effect, but after GABA, 5HTP, L-Taurine & melatonin - there's nothing quite like magnesium, but i will bear your suggestions in mind.

I too heard not so great things about Source Naturals, a commenter on amazon said she nearly died after taking their 'Chinese made' Tyrosine (something like that, the review is still there). And i did not realise that about Solgar, i don't think i have ever bothered to buy supps from UK high street shops - for the reasons we've mentioned! Good to know.

These are the additives of my purchase (none of which are great!):

Stearic acid, acacia gum, modified cellulose gum, colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.

Suitable for vegetarians and hypoallergenic: Contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, corn, soy or wheat. Contains no sugar, starch, preservatives, or artificial color, flavor or fragrance.

As if by magic...Amazon suggested (too late):

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-Ultra-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B004Z71QNY/ref=pd_cp_d_0
Swanson Ultra Magnesium Citrate 225mg, 120 Tablets - 13.69GBP + free delivery
Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), stearic acid, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, food glaze.

So, i'm stuck with my 360 pills of Mag malate, but i am looking forward to seeing any difference to citrate. And i'll report back anything worthwhile.
Thanks again, Ascien :)

Laura said:
Lots of Olive Oil. Never buy "vegetable oil" again. You can also get nut
oils, sesame oil and my favorite: Grape Seed Oil. This is easily obtained
here in the land of lotsa grapes.

This quote is from 2008. Is grape seed oil still ok? I want to make my own mayo.

mugatea said:
Laura said:

This quote is from 2008. Is grape seed oil still ok? I want to make my own mayo.

We still use grapeseed oil for mayonnaise though it is not the ideal oil to consume. It does make a wonderful mayo, though.

Laura said:
mugatea said:
Laura said:

We still use grapeseed oil for mayonnaise though it is not the ideal oil to consume. It does make a wonderful mayo, though.

I'm using avocado oil and olive oil for my mayonnaise. Totaly delicious.

Gandalf said:
Laura said:
mugatea said:
Laura said:

I'm using avocado oil and olive oil for my mayonnaise. Totaly delicious.

I use macadamia oil - if I can find some!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, after using the magnesium citrate pills, i tried the powder which practically melted my molars. I also wanted to up my dose as i was finding the relaxation of my whiplashed muscles really beneficial. And during my transitioning to Keto i was also finding the citrate increased my chances of diahorrea. So in a panic i bought 2 different types.

I just wanted to report the benefits of being able to use the magnesium malate in the daytime, anytime, with no interference - for me anyway - in digestion. If i was to take the citrate near mealtime, it for sure acts like a neutraliser in my stomach and it actually feels as though digestion has given up and the foods just sitting there.

So i now take 3 x malate (430mg magnesium) about 30 minutes to an hour after my morning coffee fat bomb, and though i have experienced no tangible 'energy benefits' (apparently from the malic acid); i have been experiencing some fibromyalgia symptoms around my trigemenal nerve on my left side of my eye, and this REALLY eases that off. It's only occurred as the muscles in the area relax after over year being tense, the area was prone to infection (eyes, sinuses etc..).

So i would highly recommend anyone with similar (muscle related tightness, pain, fibro, whiplash; even insomnia) to first tranisition to Keto (to mitigate the toilet issues!), then began a magnesium protocol. It brings relief where nothing else does.

I take the malate in the day, and then at night, now my gut is more used to it, i take 3 - 5 of these Magnesium and zinc tablets (i'm happy to have the added copper, zinc, and b6), which i'd recommend to anyone in the UK as the deal seems good, MyProtein deliver quickly and returns are no problem, i wouldn't recommend much else from their site though, maybe the MSM as it's 5£ and i'm using it now; the 5HTP for example at 50mg is weak.

Also, i notified them that it's not 1 pill = 450mg magnesium, but actually 3 pills (i knew that was too good to be true and i couldn't blag any further discounts):

_http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zinc-and-magnesium/10529513.html
Zinc and Magnesium £17.29 x 270 (/3 a day) =
Magnesium (Citrate), Zinc (L-Methinonine), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl) Copper (Amino Acid Chelate), Magnesium Stearate, Gelatin (caspule).

Amount per 1 capsule serving:
Zinc (as zinc l-methionine): 30 mg (300%*)
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate): 450 mg (120%*)
Vitamin B6 (as pyrodoxine hydrochloride): 11 mg (750% *)
Copper (as copper amino acid chelate): 600 mcg

* Percent Daily Values are based on the EC RDA.

As a dietary supplement take 1 capsule daily, preferably on an empty stomach, 30-60 minutes before bedtime. For best results, avoid taking with dairy or other calcium-containing foods or supplements.

Serving size: 1 capsule

Servings per 90 capsule container: 90
Servings per 270 capsule container: 270

Free from artificial colours and preservatives, yeast, gluten, starch and lactose. No added salt or sugar.

I hope to contribute some warnings about Magnesium as well as the benefits I have experienced in hopes that this helps others. Currently, I am taking Doctor's Best Chelated Magnesium (1 pill = 200g Magnesium Glycinate) for about 1 gram per day for the past 2 weeks. Initially, I tried 1.2 g for 3 days until the side effects below became apparent.

The good news first! I have better clarity of mind and focus in my daily activities. I'm also less tense at work and more relaxed, even after lifting weights. I don't feel as tired/sluggish as I was before and have been waking up refreshed for the first time in a few years! I typically would hit my snooze button out of exhaustion at least 2-3 times before I got up in the morning, now I do that once and even feel a sense of urgency to get out of bed to start the day! Generally, my mood has improved in the 2 weeks that I began taking it. Luckily, I have only had one issue with magnesium overload causing issues with my bowels. I took it as a sign to ease back, as others of have done on this thread, and will continue to calibrate to find the best dosage.

Now for the bad news. I had been diagnosed with ADHD a while back and have been on Adderall for at least 5-6 years. For those who are on this medication and similar methamphetamine derivatives (Ritalin, etc), I recommend waiting to take ANY form of Magnesium supplement until 1-2 hours after you've taken that medication. I have found that taking Magnesium along with this medication dramatically increases the side effects of the medication. These side effects include heart palpitations, aggressive behavior, irritability and anxiety among others. I experienced the irritability and anxiety but none of the other symptoms, thankfully! I searched online and discovered that Magnesium can cause this when taken in conjunction with that medication, and is listed within Adderall's detailed drug disclosure pamphlet. I can provide the research if need.

To reiterate, the benefits of the magnesium have outweighed the one day I had a contraindication with my Adderall! I just wanted to warn others who may inadvertently see the benefits without assessing the risks of medication or supplement interactions before hand. I'll take this as a lesson well learned! As the C's have said "Knowledge Protects, Ignorance endangers!"

Back
Top Bottom