The Magnesium Miracle

hlat said:
Can you please recommend a particular type and brand of magnesium for me to get? I know from Ketoadapted that magnesium oxide is no good. Thanks.

Any chelated mg should do. See some examples here: http://www.sott.net/article/220946-Magnesium-The-Spark-of-Life

For instance, a great favorite one is magnesium malate. But magnesium citrate can be cheaper.

I have a choice between Pure Encapsulations Magnesium (glycinate) or Magnesium (citrate/malate). From what I've read, magnesium glycinate is far more absorable than magnesium citrate, but magnesium malate is good for pain? Thanks.

hlat said:
I have a choice between Pure Encapsulations Magnesium (glycinate) or Magnesium (citrate/malate). From what I've read, magnesium glycinate is far more absorable than magnesium citrate, but magnesium malate is good for pain? Thanks.

Pretty much. Magnesium malate is the preferred supplement for fibromyalgia-like pains.

I`ve been taking Magnesium Malate 2,000 mgs and potassium gluconate 200 mgs once a day. A couple months ago we had a snow/ice storm and I injured my lower back shoveling the stuff. The pain subsided and eventually went away until a couple weeks ago. I felt like my body was seized and I couldn`t straighten up. I was walking hunched over. I had Ren do some deep tissue massage and used the infrared blanket, Epsom salt soaks, still it just wouldn`t let loose. I`ve noticed that I`m consciously using my core muscles more, tightening my abs so not to use my back muscles. Then I found something that gave total relief! I increased my magnesium and potassium after I saw someone posted that when on the kd, more mag and potas is needed because it passes through your urine quickly. I doubled the doses of each and I don`t feel any inflammation or seizing muscles in my lower back!

My question Gaby, can one take too much potassium and be harmful? I heard years ago, too much can affect your heart? any truth to that? I know what happens when I take too much mag! :)

Nancy2feathers said:
My question Gaby, can one take too much potassium and be harmful? I heard years ago, too much can affect your heart? any truth to that? I know what happens when I take too much mag! :)

Yeah, potassium has to be taken carefully, so following label instructions is suggested. It can cause heart rhythm problems if too much is accumulated in the blood.

But the amounts of potassium tolerated on a low carb diet are much more than people would imagine. It is a contraindication in those with kidney failure who have to monitor closely their potassium blood levels though.

It is possible that the magnesium did the trick. But just in case, here are some potassium suggestions: 2 tablets of potassium 99mg with each meal. That dose came from one of the books by Jonny Bowden (http://www.sott.net/article/277376-Dr-Jonny-Bowden-The-Great-Cholesterol-Myth). For a few days, that dose should be okay, especially if there are cramps and one is getting ketoadapted. Then, after a few days, it is best to follow label instructions or just have it occasionally. The bone broth helps to keep good mineral levels in the body. :)

I'm glad you got better :thup:

Gaby said:
Nancy2feathers said:

Yeah, potassium has to be taken carefully, so following label instructions is suggested. It can cause heart rhythm problems if too much is accumulated in the blood.

But the amounts of potassium tolerated on a low carb diet are much more than people would imagine. It is a contraindication in those with kidney failure who have to monitor closely their potassium blood levels though.

It is possible that the magnesium did the trick. But just in case, here are some potassium suggestions: 2 tablets of potassium 99mg with each meal. That dose came from one of the books by Jonny Bowden (http://www.sott.net/article/277376-Dr-Jonny-Bowden-The-Great-Cholesterol-Myth). For a few days, that dose should be okay, especially if there are cramps and one is getting ketoadapted. Then, after a few days, it is best to follow label instructions or just have it occasionally. The bone broth helps to keep good mineral levels in the body. :)

I'm glad you got better :thup:

Thanks Gaby. For the time I increased mag and potassium, I had only bone broth and then elimination diet. No carbs, tea, nuts, etc :(, now kd, and slowly adding a few carbs. Good to know about potassium, mag, bone broth.

I have a question about potassium. In which form should we take potassium? Is e.g. Potassium chloride safe (found at biovea.com)?

Many thanks

Altair said:
I have a question about potassium. In which form should we take potassium? Is e.g. Potassium chloride safe (found at biovea.com)?

Many thanks

What is available should be okay.

One thing that could be a plus is potassium citrate because it helps prevent kidney stones in people predisposed to them. Those who are predisposed are really a very tiny percentage, but K citrate supplements along with a lot of water is how you prevent kidney stones.

I am convinced that many of my health and even depression type issues are from a lack of Magnesium. That is how I found this website to begin with, doing a search on such.
I have spent all day - yes ALL day researching this subject, determined to figure out the best way to get more mag in me and learn what is the best types etc.
Sadly 99% of the articles I found about it, the writer had an agenda of selling their product :( So now I am not sure what to believe. Plus I am pretty confused.
Can someone please give me a brief summary of mag deficiency and lack of energy & depression? I did order a oil mag via Amazon to apply. As that does seem to be "the" way to go for quicker/deeper results.
I am 52 yrs old (female) and am just so very very tired all the time. I live with high level of stress that never ends. (long story made short my husband 6.5 yrs ago got dementia at age 45 yrs old and life is stress-filled). I also just had a radical total hysterectomy on 8/4 (cancer, but they got it all). I wanted my Dr to do a DHEA level and was laughed at :(

Ok so if someone could give me a lesson on mag or at least tell me if I am headed down the right path to regain my energy and sanity, I would appreciate it.

PS: I did read almost every post in this thread (took me hours lol) but a summary would be nice :)

Hello BethApril. The human bio-chemistry is so interconnected that it's really tricky to summarize the ins and outs of one particular aspect such as magnesium deficiency. As many of the members on this forum know through years of research and implementation, other aspects need to be investigated and cleared up to reap total benefits. Before I continue, here's some more information on the topic by the forum's resident M.D.

http://www.health-matrix.net/2011/01/04/magnesium-the-spark-of-life/

I would advise some more reading although others may summarize better for you, I prefer to point you to well written well researched articles (as well as hundreds of posts by forum members of their experiences) right here on the forum, and Signs of the Times (SOTT). Disregard any stuff about "benefits" of grains, legumes etc.

http://www.sott.net/article/190663-Magnesium-is-the-Underrated-Master-Mineral

http://www.sott.net/article/205871-The-Magic-of-Magnesium-A-Mighty-Mineral-Essential-to-Health//

www.sott.net/article/170331-MIT-Magnesium-may-reverse-middle-age-memory-loss

These are just a few results by typing in "magnesium" into the search box. Your lack of energy could be adrenal fatigue which would need the kidneys to be in better shape and even the liver for detoxification. There's also the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA) which regulates many critical areas such as thyroid function, hormones, blood sugar, circadian rhythm and much more. Use the search box on the forum or/and SOTT or on the first link provided at the beginning of this post. I can't say anything about your hysterectomy, but your diet on the other hand is, is absolutely fundamental to general health and well being. So, how is your diet & what do you eat?

BethApril said:
Ok so if someone could give me a lesson on mag or at least tell me if I am headed down the right path to regain my energy and sanity, I would appreciate it.
This is a good article that Gaby pointed out. http://www.sott.net/article/220946-Magnesium-The-Spark-of-Life

Hi BethApril,

There might be other problems with your health than just magnesium - diet, gut, toxins, stress etc.
A few valuable threads (albeit very long ones) are:
Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?
"Life Without Bread"
And a summary of all the relevant diet threads here

There's certainly nothing wrong with increasing magnesium intake, just don't forget that at the same time you might also have to increase potassium at the same time. But if you haven't altered your diet (first and foremost), then magnesium alone is unlikely to correct all the problems you described in your introductory post.

Hope that helps!

nicklebleu said:
Hi BethApril,

There might be other problems with your health than just magnesium - diet, gut, toxins, stress etc.
A few valuable threads (albeit very long ones) are:
Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?
"Life Without Bread"
And a summary of all the relevant diet threads here

There's certainly nothing wrong with increasing magnesium intake, just don't forget that at the same time you might also have to increase potassium at the same time. But if you haven't altered your diet (first and foremost), then magnesium alone is unlikely to correct all the problems you described in your introductory post.

Hope that helps!

Also, controlling stress. Concerning your partner's dementia and you dealing with it, I would suggest reading Gabor Mate's book When the Body Says No.

I am truly appreciative - I really am!! But I am so confused. Okay lets just assume that I KNOW all I need is mag. (I know it's not but just to help me at least get a grasp on the mag topic first.) What kind is best? What dose? Taken with what to help it out?

Back
Top Bottom