Tornadoes around the World

Violent #tornado in #Perryton, #Texas USA 🇺🇸
Report 3 dead, at least 50 homes damaged and severe property damage.
June 15, 2023
Video Credits: Jaxon Lehnert

3 dead and dozens injured when tornado hits Texas city

At least three people were killed and more than 50 others were injured Thursday when a tornado struck the Texas Panhandle city of Perryton, officials said.

The tornado hit Perryton, which has a population of around 8,500, around 5:10 p.m., said Trent Hoffeditz, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Amarillo.

Perryton Fire Chief Paul Dutcher said three people have been confirmed dead. A trailer park took a direct hit, he said.

The tornado caused "a lot of damage," especially to mobile homes and businesses, Ochiltree County Sheriff Terry Bouchard told NBC affiliate KAMR of Amarillo.

Damage was reported 15 miles south of Indianapolis in Johnson County, Indiana, after a reported tornado impacted the area Sunday afternoon.

At around 3:10 p.m. CDT, multiple videos posted on social media showed a tornado on the ground at the intersection of Interstate 69 and Indiana State Route 144 in Johnson County, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

According to WTHR, a fire chief in Whiteland, Indiana, located in Johnson County, said multiple structures were damaged following the tornado. Johnson County Emergency Management said multiple homes were severely damaged or collapsed following the tornado, WTHR also reported.

Video posted on Twitter by Cole Basey showed the walls of structures had caved in and the roofs of multiple structures were destroyed in Greenwood, Indiana. Several trees were down and scattered across the area of the tornadic storm.

Officials in Bagersville, -- located in Johnson County -- said 75 homes have moderate to severe damage, according to FOX 59 News. The first round of search and rescue from officials is complete and no injures have been reported.

In southern Indiana, a confirmed tornado was reported in Crane at around 3:33 p.m. CDT by law enforcement. Debris was visible, according to NWS. Multiple trees were down on homes and cars in Crane according to another NWS report.

Large hail was also reported across the state on Sunday. Hailstones the size of a baseball reportedly damaged the roof and siding of at least one home in Kirklin, Indiana. Tennis ball-size hail was reported elsewhere in the state including Spencer and Sheridan, Indiana.

As the severe weather moved southeastward into Kentucky, tennis ball-size hail was observed in Webster County -- located in the western part of the state. Large hail was also reported in McLean and Union counties on Sunday evening.

Baseball-sized hail took out a 5.2-megawatt solar farm in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, on Friday, as part of a giant supercell thunderhead that moved across eastern Wyoming and into Nebraska.
June 28, 2023 4 min read

Starting in Hesse, this massive storm front developed in the early evening of June 22 and moved to north-western Thuringia with a frequency of over 5,000 lightning bolts in 10 minutes. The picture was taken at Mühlhausen

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 06-09-34 Paul M Smith on Twitter.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 05-19-02 Space Weather Australian Bureau of Meteorology.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 05-19-02 Space Weather Australian Bureau of Meteorology.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 1
Alberta woman describes fleeing home that was destroyed in devastating tornado
Jade Markus-Video · CBC News · Posted: Jul 02, 2023, 12:29 PM EDT | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

July 2, 2023 Beardbot 2.0
Gabriel Harber talks with Aaron Jayjack about the events of 7-1-23!
Storm chaser Aaron Jayjack captured incredible footage of a violent tornado near Didsbury! He joins the podcast to discuss his chase.
Follow Aaron Jayjack on Twitter

Multiple tornado touchdowns reported across Chicago area as residents clean up from storm damage​

The National Weather Service has confirmed a tornado touched down in Cicero and another tornado was confirmed in Huntley.

As many has eight tornadoes may have touched down in the area Wednesday, including near O'Hare Airport, in Countryside, La Grange, McCook, South Elgin, Carol Stream and Oswego.

Chopper 7HD captured aerials of a townhouse in Indian Head Park with a back wall ripped away, exposing other parts of the home. Fortunately, no injuries were reported there.

Large tree limbs toppled onto cars at an apartment complex and near homes. Residents said there hasn't been a storm like this nearby in a long time.

"The sound started real loud and the wind was really bad and you could see everything was falling over," Indian Head Park resident Gary Malone said. "It's the worst I've ever seen and I've been here about 40 years.

Sirens are sounding in Chicago USA, due to the proximity of a tornado hitting the city.

This same system that went through Chicago and the mid-west produced a tornado in both Ottawa and Montreal today (July 13).

This same system that went through Chicago and the mid-west produced a tornado in both Ottawa and Montreal today (July 13).
Saturday, July 15, 2023 6:21AM
Ground stops lifted at O'Hare Airport and Midway Airport
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Strong storms Friday night triggered thunderstorm and tornado warnings.

A Severe Thunderstorm Warning is in effect for Porter County until 11:45 p.m. and LaPorte and Starke counties until 12 a.m.

There was a brief tornado warning issued in the west and northwest suburbs but it was canceled before 9:30 p.m. The National Weather Service said an observed tornado was seen over Glen Ellyn at about 9:08 p.m.

Heavy downpours and strong winds led to reports of downed trees and branches, and debris on the road in the suburbs.

ABC7 Meteorologist Phil Schwarz said while the rotation was not as tight and the wind speeds not as strong as the system that produced 13 confirmed tornado touchdowns earlier this week, he still expects that there would be wind damage from the line of storms. Winds of up to 70 miles per hour were reported.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 06-57-28 Chicago weather Strong storms move through area some storm d...png

Some leftover showers will continue into Saturday morning before ending. There could still be pop-up storms on Saturday afternoon, but no severe weather is expected then.

This comes after 13 tornadoes touched down in parts of the Chicago area Wednesday, as residents continue to clean up the damage.

The tornadoes confirmed by the National Weather Service occurred in:

1. Burr Ridge to Stickney: EF 1

2. Elgin: EF-1

3. Huntley: EF-1

4. Elgin: EF-0

5. Oswego: EF-0

6. Barrington: EF-0

7. Long Grove: EF-0

8. Carol Stream to Glendale Heights: EF-0

9. Itasca to O'Hare: EF-0

10. O'Hare to Des Plaines: EF-0

11. Streamwood: EF-0

12. Schaumburg: EF-0

13. Loves Park in Caledonia Township/Boone County: EF-0

A huge clean-up effort is still underway in communities where the tornadoes touched down, including Elgin and Countryside.

Homeowners are dealing with a lot of downed trees that remain, but neighbors said progress is being made.

Friday morning, wood chippers hummed in Elgin near Hopi Lane and Koshare Trail where a home is missing part of its roof.

Eleanor Jasica lost several old trees.

"I think they're probably 200 years old, I don't know," Jasica said. "I'm out here 40 years but I don't know these trees are old but you can't stop mother nature."

Chopper 7HD captured the path of the tornadoes, which left a visible scar on the area.

Some neighborhoods are surrounded by mounds of branches and debris, but the clean-up process is moving along compared to Thursday.

"There was so many trees across... there was two places you couldn't even get down, so today, like, I don't think we have a lot," Elgin resident Margo Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of busy work around the yard to do but we're really pretty caught up on everything."

In Countryside, Tim and Jean Chervinko were called away from their vacation on a lake in Minnesota after receiving word a tornado tore through their neighborhood.

"We drove 10 hours to get home yesterday. I already had friends and family put a generator in my backyard and clean up the drive way so we could get in," Tim said.

Two trees missed their home by an inch, and with the exception of some torn siding the family is thankful there is minimal damage.

"I was happy to have a home to come home to," Jean said.

Close to 70 homes received minimal damage. Only one home had its roof blown off and was deemed uninhabitable.

"But the number of trees? We don't know how many were damaged, unfortunately we did lose some beautiful blacks oaks and black walnuts," said Countryside Mayor Sean McDermott.

McDermott said as of Friday over 60% of the debris have been cleaned up, and thanked neighboring communities and Countryside residents for helping neighbors get it done so quickly.

Meanwhile Elgin's Mayor spoke with members of the Del Webb community, where at least 20 homes were hit - some now uninhabitable.

Thursday afternoon, Elgin Mayor Dave Kaptain spoke with members of the Del Webb community, where at least 20 homes were hit, with some now uninhabitable.

"We want to get people back in their homes as quickly as possible," Mayor Kaptain said. "If your home is going to need to be repaired and fixed, we will help you."

The severe weather this week is not just leaving a physical mark, but an emotional one as well. Some like Phyllis Scamardi cringed as more rain and dark skies descended Friday morning.

"I wanna get home and get to my basement," Scamardi said. "That's what I wanna do."

Those in need of housing are being encouraged to contact the American Red Cross of Illinois.

Meanwhile, city officials said residents who would like to help can make donations to Food for Greater Elgin.

Back
Top Bottom