Ultra Simple Diet

Thanks, Psyche for the update - even for those people who have been through the process. :)

Thank you Psyche, I saw it was a little different as posted in the EE forum. Do you have to soak buckwheat, quinoa, or amaranth like you would rice or beans? It seems that because they are recommended that they don't contain as many lectins and maybe don't have to be soaked?

3D Student said:
Thank you Psyche, I saw it was a little different as posted in the EE forum. Do you have to soak buckwheat, quinoa, or amaranth like you would rice or beans? It seems that because they are recommended that they don't contain as many lectins and maybe don't have to be soaked?

Yeah, buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth are friendly. They don't require soaking as some other grains do.

Psyche said:
Yeah, buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth are friendly. They don't require soaking as some other grains do.

Cool, thanks Psyche. I just wanted to be sure, it's kind of annoying having to soak things. You can't just decide to cook them in a pinch.

One question about the modifications to the UltraSimple diet - Rice is out but rice protein in the Ultrashake is still OK? Was this an oversight or does the process of turning rice into rice protein remove the lectins, maybe?
I think I'm going to start this modified UltraSimple diet soon and want to know if I should be buying more rice protein or maybe find some sort of alternative (is there such a thing as quinoa protein powder? I know there is pea protein and I saw that split peas are still listed as a lunch option, so maybe this would be an possibility).
Thanks.

dugdeep said:
One question about the modifications to the UltraSimple diet - Rice is out but rice protein in the Ultrashake is still OK? Was this an oversight or does the process of turning rice into rice protein remove the lectins, maybe?
I think I'm going to start this modified UltraSimple diet soon and want to know if I should be buying more rice protein or maybe find some sort of alternative (is there such a thing as quinoa protein powder? I know there is pea protein and I saw that split peas are still listed as a lunch option, so maybe this would be an possibility).
Thanks.

Hi dugdeep. I've recently switched from rice bran powder to hemp protein powder. It's slightly higher in cost but equal to rice protein powder in protein and amino acids intake. Hemp protein contains large amounts of zinc, iron, and magnesium, and it's good for fiber intake (90% insoluble/10% soluable). Try a quick search for Hemp Protein Powder or try this link.

I've read that it's considered gluten-free but for the record, the Celiac Sprue Association states: "No research on the dietary use of hemp for a celiac diet is on file in the CSA office. Should be gluten-free but sample of hemp flour tested ELISA 15 ppm gliadin in 2001." Perhaps Psyche can weigh in on the gluten aspect of hemp?

We've been trying to avoid whole rice and rice protein, specially those of us who have been having detox reactions and are becoming more sensitive to lectins. It seems to me that hemp protein is a good option, it should be gluten free (as far as I'm aware of). It will be worth to have a look to more info about samples testing and also about the lectin content of peas in comparison to rice. There are also pure amino acids powders that can be added to the shake.

Thanks 1984 and Psych!

A quick internet search turns up this page http://www.4waynutritionals.com/docs/Egg%20White%20Protein%20Functional%20Food%20Blend.pdf
[Hemp protein] is different from other protein powders in its completeness not only with vital fats but also in the fact that it contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, chlorophyll and it is free of lectins, like gluten, that cause inflammation.

But then I found this site which says:
The is a lectin in marijuana (3) which, although not blood type specific, does bond to glucose, perhaps the most abundant sugar in the body. Another species of hemp have been shown to contain lectins capable of binding to galactose and fucose, raising questions about suitability in blood group O and B. (4)

Somewhat contradictory information here. Unfortunately, the second quote is from a page quoting a source and the footnotes aren't included on the page. I haven't been able to locate the original source.

Then I find out that a lot of the pages that are referring to lectins in hemp may actually be referring to Sunn Hemp (C. juncea) which is actually a type of legume, as opposed to hemp (C. sativa). These two plants are unrelated, as far as I can tell. There's quite a bit of information out there on the lectin content of Sunn hemp, but next to nothing on actual hemp (other than the sources above). The information I've been able to find is a bit of a mess. This may need to be tested by everyone individually to see if they're having any sort of reaction.

I think that hemp sounds like a good way to go for me since I know that peas (split pea soup at any rate) give me bad heartburn so I was a little iffy about trying the pea protein. I've taken hemp protein in the past without any bad reactions. I'm also blood type A, so even if the second quote is correct, I may be OK with it.

As for pea versus rice lectins, from this site (http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Lectins_in_Foods.html) originally posted by Laura in the Brown Rice For Better Health thread (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15396.msg129000#msg129000) - peas are shown with three "+" for all blood types, which I believe means it is very agglutinating whereas rice shows only one "+" for all blood types, which seems to mean somewhat agglutinating. From this page, between the two, it would seem rice protein is the safest bet, but you're still going to get some agglutination in sensitive people.

Too bad about the rice lectins! Especially here in Asia :(. I was able to find some rice milk and really liked the taste and was just about to get into making my own, but I guess that's out. I don't think I'm averse to rice (I'm half Chinese so I wonder if that has anything to do with it...) but haven't actually tested it. And from what I understand, feeling bad (I feel fine) from eating it doesn't mean I'm getting some immune response. I've been really good at staying away from milk and sugar (at least any of the processed stuff). The wheat is still tough to completely avoid.... but I'm getting better I think. Hopefully I'll soon be able to fully stay on the diet for 2 weeks and test. I thought I could do it cold turkey but I'm gonna have to go at it one "food at a time" so to speak.

dugdeep said:
I think that hemp sounds like a good way to go for me since I know that peas (split pea soup at any rate) give me bad heartburn so I was a little iffy about trying the pea protein. I've taken hemp protein in the past without any bad reactions. I'm also blood type A, so even if the second quote is correct, I may be OK with it.

As for pea versus rice lectins, from this site (http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Lectins_in_Foods.html) originally posted by Laura in the Brown Rice For Better Health thread (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15396.msg129000#msg129000) - peas are shown with three "+" for all blood types, which I believe means it is very agglutinating whereas rice shows only one "+" for all blood types, which seems to mean somewhat agglutinating. From this page, between the two, it would seem rice protein is the safest bet, but you're still going to get some agglutination in sensitive people.

Thanks for synthesizing this, it seems to me that hemp protein is the way to go. We have some and I like the taste. If everybody tolerates it, we are going to use that and our pure amino acid powders instead.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I figured this was the most relevant discussion.

I've been doing this modified UltraSimple for 8 days now, and it seems to be going fairly well. I'm basically eating chicken, the approved fish and vegetables - no grains, no starch, etc. I had buckwheat soba noodles for a couple of meals, which seemed to go fine, but generally I'm just doing meat and veggies, plus the Ultrashake with significant modifications mind you (Mg, Vit C, MSM, Chlorella, Hemp protein, Stevia, Dulse...).

It's going fairly well - I feel like I have a lot more energy and I seem to be generally more optimistic than usual. While normally I'm quite down about the state of the world, lately I've really been internally celebrating the "wins" (the latest with Humble et. al, for example) and am seeing everywhere evidence that things are turning around for this planet. Generally I would say I feel good.

One problem, though, is that I feel spacey. It's almost like I've got ADD all of a sudden. I can't seem to concentrate on anything for much time. I'm a writer who works from home and while I usually keep fairly consistent 9-5ish type hours for myself, the last few days have seen me dragging my work out until 8 and 9 o'clock at night! This isn't like me. I seem to be allover the place, never focused on one task. Even writing this post I've been back and forth to other things.

I'm wondering if there's anything my diet may be missing that's leading to this lack of grounding, for lack of a better term. I'm planning on adding rice back in on Saturday (which marks 10 days) so maybe it's not important to figure this out as I go back to a more typical diet (I generally eat quite a bit of grains and legumes). I am bloodtype A, so this may just be the wrong kind of diet for me, despite the increased energy. Maybe I just need to have some sort of grains and legumes regularly.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just thought of something that hadn't thought of before - is this one of the symptoms of Candida die off? Since this modified diet had no grains I figured I may as well do a Candida cleanse at the same time so I've been taking a tea of pau d'arco and horsetail every day. Could this be a die-off symptom?

dugdeep said:
I've been doing this modified UltraSimple for 8 days now, and it seems to be going fairly well. I'm basically eating chicken, the approved fish and vegetables - no grains, no starch, etc. I had buckwheat soba noodles for a couple of meals, which seemed to go fine, but generally I'm just doing meat and veggies, plus the Ultrashake with significant modifications mind you (Mg, Vit C, MSM, Chlorella, Hemp protein, Stevia, Dulse...).

I can't answer your other questions, but I can provide a warning from experience. I was on the diet last year for about 6 weeks and then I went off in a big way for a few days (pizza, soft drinks, etc.) and that totally sent me into a physical and mental nosedive! I've posted this before but I wanted to give you a heads up about the effects I experienced by seriously falling off the wagon. After I got back on the diet end of December, in 6 weeks I was doing great again and have been pretty good ever since with no more crashes of that type.

It sounds like detoxing effects, like your body is finally able to start unloading chemicals in a significant way. Are you eating enough fats/oils? Ghee on your veggies, and olive oil? Maybe exchanging the Stevia for Xylitol might do the trick? Add buckwheat pancakes or blinis as a bread?

Try those and see what happens.

If eating cooked eggs (in the morning) gives you a light headache, does that mean one is allergic to it?

Edit: I'm going to take that as a yes, since the headache gets worse!

Laura said:
It sounds like detoxing effects, like your body is finally able to start unloading chemicals in a significant way. Are you eating enough fats/oils? Ghee on your veggies, and olive oil? Maybe exchanging the Stevia for Xylitol might do the trick? Add buckwheat pancakes or blinis as a bread?

Try those and see what happens.

Thanks Laura. I think I've sourced the cause of my problem. I've unintentionally put myself on the Atkins diet :O. As I said, all I've really been eating are chicken, fish and vegetable which basically amounts to a low carb diet. I've been feeling side effects like dehydration, leg cramping at night (despite taking magnesium and a multi-mineral; but mineral loss is a reported side-effect of low carb diets) and insomnia. I was clued in when a friend of mine, who I had seen less than a week ago, told me last night that I looked like I was wasting away since she last saw me. This reminded me of how people on low carb diets often look gaunt because of the quick loss of water weight. And then it clicked - I'm on a low carb diet!

I'm not sure if this would explain the spaciness and lack on concentration, but it might.

So I think your advice is probably spot on, Laura - adding in buckwheat pancakes and blinis. I just made a pot of brown rice to test my tolerance of the next few days and I'll also add in some quinoa. I need to pick up some more buckwheat flour, which I'll do this weekend. I think buckwheat pancakes for breakfast on Sunday are just what the doctor ordered :D

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom