Ultra Simple Diet

3D Student said:
I'm thinking about doing some of the diets in the next few months to get them over with. I want to try the colon cleanse first as seen here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=7199.0. Then the candida, detox, ultra simple/food testing, and finally ending in a DMSA detox. This sounds like the most logical order to me.

As far as the ultra simple diet goes you may not think of it in terms of 'getting it over with' once you start it. My diet was reasonably good to begin with and I didn't really have any specific issues I wanted to address. Anyway, about 10 days ago I started on the ultra simple diet, including the shake in the morning and ultrabroth during the day. Prior to starting the diet I was eating a lot of brown rice: at breakfast every day, and more often than not with lunch and dinner too. I felt quite tired for the first couple of days which I attributed to no longer eating the rice. After that I noticed a clearer head, less muzziness in my thinking, and improved quality of sleep. However in the past two days I have felt very tired which I attribute to a detox reaction. I ordered some french green clay which has just arrived and I'm going to start using that to support the detox process, in addition to the diet and the FIR sauna. The clay is discussed in this thread. You can find Laura's version of the ultra simple diet here. This is the version I followed, with a big thank you to Laura and company for formulating it.

I was always somewhat resistant to starting the ultrasimple diet, and I think that may have been a food addiction talking. My reaction to eliminating brown rice from my diet supports that conclusion, imho. I don't think anyone would regret starting on the diet, 3D Student. I plan to continue to eat in this way with maybe a few modifications later on.

Hi Endymion, I meant get it over with to kind of mean to finally see what foods I am sensitive to. I haven't really done this and only loosely followed the diet plan. But I still don't eat anything evil. I too recently got off brown rice, swapping it for buckwheat groats. I think I'm going to do the bentonite, enema, and dmso while detoxying so it'll be more effective.

One thing I have a question about is rice and lentils. Are we supposed to test them, like we would with nightshades and eggs? Or is the presence of lectins so harmful that a complete avoidance is necessary? It seems their isn't an authoritative statement on this that I can find here, although I may have missed it in my search. I know that after essentially having brown rice as a part of every meal for so long that now, if I have to remove it from my diet completely, I'll lose a big part of what I make for meals. Quinoa is really not a suitable replacement, at least for me it seems, as it is not as filling and I don't particularly care for it, so I'm curious about what the standards are for reintroducing rice and lentils while on the elimination diet.

I think it is best to limit its intake at the very least, and to test how your body does with and without it with the elimination diet. Buckwheat and buckwheat pancakes/blinis can be a good substitute for it. Some people do better with these grains than others, it may depend on blood type as well.

I'm an O type and it seems I do much better in a paleo diet. Interesting that children with autism do better in a similar diet as well (paleo diet).

My 2 centavos

Heimdallr said:
Quinoa is really not a suitable replacement, at least for me it seems, as it is not as filling and I don't particularly care for it,

Do you think that could be a food addiction talking?

I was a real brown rice and lentils junkie. I would keep a large bowl of pre-cooked rice in the fridge, and another of lentils. I ate brown rice for breakfast and with dinner, and lentils for lunch and sometimes dinner. I stopped eating rice and lentils about three weeks ago and I do feel better for it. I experienced a kind of general sluggishness and sleepiness which disappeared when I eliminated the brown rice and lentils, although that observation is only in contrast to not experienceing this as a result of cutting out those two foods.

I now eat buckwheat or quinoa instead of the rice, and split pea dhal in place of lentil dhal. I find that split pea dhal is just as filling as lentil dhal, but it seems to have a less 'meaty' feel, if that makes sense. Have you tried mixing a little ghee and xylitol with the quinoa? I had to experiment a little to get the correct cooking time for al dente quinoa. I now use 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, add some salt, bring to the boil then simmer for 18 minutes. That timing probably sounds a bit obsessive but I found that even a difference of plus or minus one minute in cooking time made a difference to the cooked quinoa, or whether it stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Heimdallr said:
One thing I have a question about is rice and lentils. Are we supposed to test them, like we would with nightshades and eggs? Or is the presence of lectins so harmful that a complete avoidance is necessary? It seems their isn't an authoritative statement on this that I can find here, although I may have missed it in my search. I know that after essentially having brown rice as a part of every meal for so long that now, if I have to remove it from my diet completely, I'll lose a big part of what I make for meals. Quinoa is really not a suitable replacement, at least for me it seems, as it is not as filling and I don't particularly care for it, so I'm curious about what the standards are for reintroducing rice and lentils while on the elimination diet.

I'm one of the people that don't do so great with a lot of buckwheat - I gain weight and feel really heavy (blood type AB) and I have a blood type B friend who also can't eat a lot of it without feeling bad. I have cut down on brown rice - haven't had it for about a month, and since I was having it almost every day, I do feel a bit more energetic, but I'm going to experiment with it next week I think to see if I can have a bit of brown rice now and again since I do like it.

I hated the first batch of quinoa I made - couldn't even eat it. I had just washed it and cooked it up plain. I decided to try again and cooked it with a chopped up onion and a few crushed cloves of garlic, a tiny splash of olive oil, and it is fantastic. It actually tastes good! (thank goodness) I'm still on lentils cooked with garlic and onions regularly since it's such an easy lunch and not being a red meat or poultry eater ( I do eat fish) it's just really difficult to make a lunch every day without the lentils, though I do occasionally substitute smoked salmon for the lentils in the quinoa, which is a nice change.

So - my point is that I also hated quinoa until I cooked it with some chopped onion (red or white) and a bit of crushed garlic and olive oil - then it really is edible and actually tasty. It's not as filling as brown rice, but if you tolerate buckwheat well, you can add in some buckwheat cakes to the meal or something?

Really for me it wasn't so much an addiction to rice or lentils as it was really convenient, as you point out anart. I could whip up some brown rice in the pressure cooker in 45 minutes and make enough to last for 3-4 days for lunches at work. Also, it was filling and I found it tasty. I would mix in some turmeric with salt for some really good flavors. I'm halfway through 2 weeks on the elimination diet and really wanted to see how it tested once the 2 weeks were up because of all that.

But, I haven't cooked the quinoa any way other than by itself so maybe I could try it with some onion and garlic. And I became really enamored of the dahl recipe that Laura shared and I was sad to think I wouldn't be able to make that anymore since I can make a lot of that and bring it in to work for a simple, easy, filling meal. Like you said anart, it is difficult to make a lunch that really works and is healthy and filling now when for so long I used the lentils and rice as backbones of that diet. I haven't done too much cooking with the buckwheat so that's something I'm going to start doing too.

Have you guys tried amaranth? I find it very filling, even more than rice and it has a quite pleasant taste too. The downside is that it easily gets kind of sticky or gooey, especially after a day. I'm still experimenting with it :wizard:

Don't forget you can chill quinoa and make salads out of it. I almost always make quinoa salads for potlucks and people love it. I add whatever veggies I've got: celery (is good for crunch), chopped spinach, steamed kale, chives, green onions, parsley, cilantro, kidney beans (any beans), shreaded carrots, avocado....mmmm...getting hungry for it just thinking about it! If you mash the avocado, you can just add a bit of salt and lemon or vinegar, or use olive oil. Personally I use apple cider vinegar & olive oil...

Also, quinoa can make good stew...

Bon apetit!

Tree

Anart said:
I'm one of the people that don't do so great with a lot of buckwheat - I gain weight and feel really heavy (blood type AB) and I have a blood type B friend who also can't eat a lot of it without feeling bad.

Same here. I'm blood type B and feel heavy when I eat buckwheat every day (once in a while is OK though). D'Adamo says it's one of the major weight gain factors for B blood types. The lectins in buckwheat cause the blood of B blood types to agglutinate, increasing the risk of strokes. It also blocks the effect of insulin... But Tigersoap does not seem to have that problem (he's B as well).

Recently, I dreamed that I was explaining to someone that buckwheat is not such a problem for B types as long as they avoid dairy (which is normally OK for B types according to D'Adamo). I guess a part of me really wants me to eat buckwheat (who can blame him, these pancakes are delicious!).

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Anart said:
I'm one of the people that don't do so great with a lot of buckwheat - I gain weight and feel really heavy (blood type AB) and I have a blood type B friend who also can't eat a lot of it without feeling bad.

Same here. I'm blood type B and feel heavy when I eat buckwheat every day (once in a while is OK though). D'Adamo says it's one of the major weight gain factors for B blood types. The lectins in buckwheat cause the blood of B blood types to agglutinate, increasing the risk of strokes. It also blocks the effect of insulin... But Tigersoap does not seem to have that problem (he's B as well).

Recently, I dreamed that I was explaining to someone that buckwheat is not such a problem for B types as long as they avoid dairy (which is normally OK for B types according to D'Adamo). I guess a part of me really wants me to eat buckwheat (who can blame him, these pancakes are delicious!).

I gained 2kg in 3 days having buckwheat for breakfast, so I'm not experimenting with that again! I'm also a type B.
I never had any problems with lowfat dairy, maybe I'm deceiving myself, I'm known to do that. I completely avoided dairy for many months now, and my energylevel has gone down quite a bit.

Well oddly, I'm type A which is supposed to be the only blood type that actually finds buckwheat beneficial according to D'Adamo (http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/depictor5.pl?78), but I've definitely been feeling heavier as of late. I've been eating the buckwheat crepes almost daily. Not sure what to think of this. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I've been doing differently with my diet recently which may account for this feeling.

I was under the impression that lectins are in not only brown rice, but also quinoa and buckwheat as well (pretty much all grains for that matter). It seems like it is a hard thing to avoid no matter what one eats. It doesn't sound like one can definitively rule out eating a food group based on it containing lectins alone, this should probably be determined by the individual through testing after an elimination/detox diet.

Personally, I seem fine with brown rice occasionally, but I have fooled myself before with foods. I also tolerate quinoa and buckwheat fine as well. Amaranth I haven't had in a long time due to the price.

anart said:
Heimdallr said:

I'm one of the people that don't do so great with a lot of buckwheat - I gain weight and feel really heavy (blood type AB) and I have a blood type B friend who also can't eat a lot of it without feeling bad. I have cut down on brown rice - haven't had it for about a month, and since I was having it almost every day, I do feel a bit more energetic, but I'm going to experiment with it next week I think to see if I can have a bit of brown rice now and again since I do like it.

I hated the first batch of quinoa I made - couldn't even eat it. I had just washed it and cooked it up plain. I decided to try again and cooked it with a chopped up onion and a few crushed cloves of garlic, a tiny splash of olive oil, and it is fantastic. It actually tastes good! (thank goodness) I'm still on lentils cooked with garlic and onions regularly since it's such an easy lunch and not being a red meat or poultry eater ( I do eat fish) it's just really difficult to make a lunch every day without the lentils, though I do occasionally substitute smoked salmon for the lentils in the quinoa, which is a nice change.

So - my point is that I also hated quinoa until I cooked it with some chopped onion (red or white) and a bit of crushed garlic and olive oil - then it really is edible and actually tasty. It's not as filling as brown rice, but if you tolerate buckwheat well, you can add in some buckwheat cakes to the meal or something?

Have you tried eating quinoa as a breakfast cereal with rice milk, cinnamon, stevia or xylitol? It is very good that way imho. Taste like rice pudding.

Back
Top Bottom