Ultra Simple Diet

http://missvickie.com/library/benefits.html

How foods are cooked can have a big impact on their nutrient content. The best way to destroy vitamins is to cook your food in an open pot of boiling water.

To retain the most nutrients possible, most experts recommend that you use as little water as possible and cook foods rapidly because many vitamins are sensitive to water, heat and air exposure (vitamin C, the B vitamins and folate in particular) and water used for cooking can dissolve and wash away water soluble vitamins, while the heat deteriorates them.

Many vitamins such as "B's" and C" are water soluble and the simple act of washing them takes away some of the vitamins. Vitamins "D" and "E" are fat soluble. Fat soluble vitamins are stored and metabolized with the fat in our bodies. Fat soluble vitamins are not as volatile as water soluble vitamins and are not as readily “cooked away.

The longer the cooking time and the higher the temperature, the worse it becomes. It is best to choose the cooking method that most optimizes and preserves the nutrients in food. In a study published by Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, researchers investigated effects of various means of cooking broccoli. Up to 97 percent of certain antioxidant compounds were destroyed by microwaving, while steaming the broccoli caused only 11 percent loss. Therefore, any cooking that minimizes the time, temperature, and water will help to preserve nutrients. Pressure cooking under steam is one of the methods best because it minimizes time and requires little water.

The super-heated steam which is produced by high temperatures inside a pressure cooker makes the food cook quickly and intensifies the natural flavors. Pressure cooking creates an airless environment that retains more nutrients than other cooking methods. As the foods get cooked quickly with very little liquid, more vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients are preserved and not boiled away during cooking.

There are a few other tricks you can employ to preserve nutrients. Minimize the surface area of food by leaving vegetables in big pieces. That way fewer vitamins are destroyed when they are exposed to air. Always cover your pot to hold in steam and heat. This will also help to reduce cooking time. Use any leftover cooking water for soups, sauces, and stews, or vegetable juice drinks. The longer food is exposed to these factors, the greater the nutrient loss.

As a rule, rapid cooking techniques are better for retaining nutrients than slower methods. Any type of cooking changes food in some ways, and more nutrients are lost when food is exposed to heat, light, moisture and air. The methods that typically preserve nutrients best can be ordered from quickest to slowest, as follows:

Pressure Cooking
Steaming
Stir-frying
Broiling/Grilling
Sauteing
Poaching
Braising
Roasting
Baking
Boiling

The nutrient retention achieved through these methods may vary according to the food type, size and shape and your own cooking technique. Note that boiling is not a preferred cooking method because most nutrients are lost or poured down the drain with the cooking water. A practical way to recoup the nutrients that are released into boiling water is to retain the liquid after cooking and use it as stock for soups.

Laura said:
The nutrient retention achieved through these methods may vary according to the food type, size and shape and your own cooking technique. Note that boiling is not a preferred cooking method because most nutrients are lost or poured down the drain with the cooking water. A practical way to recoup the nutrients that are released into boiling water is to retain the liquid after cooking and use it as stock for soups.

Aha!! Now I can go back and say "I told you so!" :P

Edit: So that is why we drink the water of the Ultrabroth, because all the nutrients have boiled of into it. :grad:

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Edit: So that is why we drink the water of the Ultrabroth, because all the nutrients have boiled of into it. :grad:

Exactly. And it sure does help, believe me!

Laura said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Exactly. And it sure does help, believe me!

And it tastes delicious too, imo.

Laura said:
The longer the cooking time and the higher the temperature, the worse it becomes. It is best to choose the cooking method that most optimizes and preserves the nutrients in food. In a study published by Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, researchers investigated effects of various means of cooking broccoli. Up to 97 percent of certain antioxidant compounds were destroyed by microwaving, while steaming the broccoli caused only 11 percent loss. Therefore, any cooking that minimizes the time, temperature, and water will help to preserve nutrients. Pressure cooking under steam is one of the methods best because it minimizes time and requires little water.

[...]

Thanks Laura for mentioning, because this morning I thought about cooking my vegetables and if I'm actually doing it right. So my next step is going for a good quality pressure cooker, because I think it is worth it's money since I'm cooking every morning my veggies.

Wow lots of information on this thread recently. Thank you everyone re: meats. I made some chicken nuggets out of the pancake batter last weekend. I was also able to find online a grass fed cattle farmer not too far from me, and a halal meats place a little further.

Endymion said:
I wonder if my daily two tablespoons of flax oil has stimulated my body's need for more saturated fats. Actually I think that an extended period of eating an evil-free diet allows the body's natural needs to become evident.

I have been eating a lot of fats too, I'm type A as well. I also kind of crave meats I think, so am trying to put more into my diet. I mostly have been using olive oil in large quantities, I really seem to like it. I like the taste of flax oil too, it's good in porridge.

I've finally started really testing foods, I had just been happy enough with the addition of the pancakes, but then it got kind of boring. So yesterday I tested brown rice. I had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I didn't notice anything at breakfast. But at lunch and dinner, about two hours after eating it, I had sharp stabbing pains in my right back side, which I thought was a kidney pain. Only once did I get a pain in my left kidney area. I also had a sharp stabbing pain in my left side head/brain. This was right when I was on the first pages of Madame de Salzmann's The Reality of Being, which I started yesterday.

So I was wondering why I would get a pain like that. I don't think I had too much protein, which could cause kidney issues as I understand. I had only 2 cups the entire day. I also thought it might have been something to do with the adrenal glands. In any event, I'm guessing I didn't pass. I enjoyed the rice, and kind of remembered that I missed it as I was eating it. Would it be worthwhile to test for rice milk or rice protein?

3D Student said:
Wow lots of information on this thread recently. Thank you everyone re: meats. I made some chicken nuggets out of the pancake batter last weekend. I was also able to find online a grass fed cattle farmer not too far from me, and a halal meats place a little further.

Endymion said:
I wonder if my daily two tablespoons of flax oil has stimulated my body's need for more saturated fats. Actually I think that an extended period of eating an evil-free diet allows the body's natural needs to become evident.

I have been eating a lot of fats too, I'm type A as well. I also kind of crave meats I think, so am trying to put more into my diet. I mostly have been using olive oil in large quantities, I really seem to like it. I like the taste of flax oil too, it's good in porridge.

I've finally started really testing foods, I had just been happy enough with the addition of the pancakes, but then it got kind of boring. So yesterday I tested brown rice. I had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I didn't notice anything at breakfast. But at lunch and dinner, about two hours after eating it, I had sharp stabbing pains in my right back side, which I thought was a kidney pain. Only once did I get a pain in my left kidney area. I also had a sharp stabbing pain in my left side head/brain. This was right when I was on the first pages of Madame de Salzmann's The Reality of Being, which I started yesterday.

So I was wondering why I would get a pain like that. I don't think I had too much protein, which could cause kidney issues as I understand. I had only 2 cups the entire day. I also thought it might have been something to do with the adrenal glands. In any event, I'm guessing I didn't pass. I enjoyed the rice, and kind of remembered that I missed it as I was eating it. Would it be worthwhile to test for rice milk or rice protein?

Well it could be the rice. The lectins and gluten in brown rice might have caused these sharp stabbing pains. Perhaps it's better to not eat any rice anymore.
Glad you found a farmer!

Oxajil said:
3D Student said:

Endymion said:

Well it could be the rice. The lectins and gluten in brown rice might have caused these sharp stabbing pains. Perhaps it's better to not eat any rice anymore.
Glad you found a farmer!

Last time I had brown rice, it gave me terrible stomach cramps. I generally notice now that rice makes me just as bloated as wheat used to (before I cut it out completely). I guess it's about time to switch to buckwheat and quinoa and to do some more research.

3D Student said:
So yesterday I tested brown rice. I had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I didn't notice anything at breakfast. But at lunch and dinner, about two hours after eating it, I had sharp stabbing pains in my right back side, which I thought was a kidney pain. Only once did I get a pain in my left kidney area. I also had a sharp stabbing pain in my left side head/brain.

Did you soak the rice before cooking?

Laura said:
It's preferable to soak them overnight at least before cooking. That's basically what our grandparents always did anyway. If they are soaked 24 hours, that's even better. Same with quinoa and rice.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any reactions to brown rice apart from gas and this was from rice which had not been soaked before cooking, just washed. Knowing that many people recommend soaking beans with bicarbonate of soda I experimented with this idea. First I tried adding a level teaspoon of bicarb to 1½ cups of brown rice and then cooking, without soaking. The colour of the cooked rice changed to become darker and more yellow, and it smelled, well, rather gassy! I did not get gas from eating it, although I didn't like the flavour so much. Next I tried soaking the rice for 24 hours with just a pinch of bicarb, well stirred to evenly distribute the bicarb, and thoroughly rinsing the rice before cooking. Success! Delicious, tender rice, which did not give me gas.

I cook the rice as follows: one part rice to two parts water, brought to the boil then simmered on low heat for 45 – 50 minutes. I do find it much more satisfying to drench the rice in olive oil rather than eat it 'fat-free'. I wanted a solution to the gas problem because rice and lentils is very convenient to take to work for lunch.

I found that soaking quinoa for 24 hours, then rinsing thoroughly before cooking, resulted in a much softer end product and, I think, more easily digestible, but not as easily separated, however, as quinoa cooked without prior soaking. The same applies to pre-soaked brown rice.

3D Student said:
I don't think I had too much protein, which could cause kidney issues as I understand.

The kidney issues arose after eating too much protein for an extended period. My experience with too much protein powder, which I wrote about here, only became evident after a few weeks of taking two scoops of hemp protein powder daily.

Added: Well, I posted the above, and then read this post by Psyche:

Psyche said:
I been having a tooth pain related to a receding gum problem. In the past, I have had these gum problems associated with gluten. Since I cut out gluten, the problem subsided. But then it started to re-occur during the last months. I was clueless as to what it could be and finally decided to go to the dentist for some gum treatment since I was unable to take care of the problem with diet and supplementation. The dental work relieved the pain for the first few days, and then it came back again. Then, on Tuesday we interviewed Dr. Peter Osborne who told us that rice (both white and brown) has gluten. I stopped drinking rice milk since yesterday and now I just realized that the tooth pain, is gone. Another lesson! I was not having any rice to cut lectin intake. But I was oblivious (or in self-denial) to the fact that I was increasing my rice milk intake as of lately :whistle:

We'll be covering this subject of gluten in grains in our next issue of the Dot Connector Magazine. Dr. Peter Osborne from glutenfreesociety.org gave us lots of compelling information on gluten sensitivity. He does know his stuff!

So, it looks like brown rice is not as safe to eat as I thought. I will have to experiment with millet for my lunches. A few months ago I found that buckwheat doesn't agree with me, but perhaps now that I've been evil-free for some time (apart from brown rice :/) maybe things will be different.

What do other forum members take to work for lunch? I'm after something that can be cooked at the weekend and kept in the fridge for a few days.

Endymion said:
What do other forum members take to work for lunch? I'm after something that can be cooked at the weekend and kept in the fridge for a few days.

Hi Endymion,

I also just found out about the rice....oh boy, and thinking back to how I used to just gorge on rice before the diet :/

About lunch: I usually take a tupperware with a reasonably sized chicken breast or a portion of fish, with loads of veggies soaked in olive oil. Lately I have tested quinoa and everything seems to be fine, so I've added quinoa to my lunch box. Sweet potato is also an excellent addition.
You can also add animal fats, which give you plenty of goodies.

I have been using olive oil lately because I tested animal fats (lard, to be specific), and it triggered skin problems that don't seems to disappear, but rather intensify, with continuous consumption. I think that I will try lard again in a couple of months, after having detoxified a bit more. If animal fats are accelerating my detox process through my skin, a couple of months on the diet will likely help. Still, I'll keep adding other fats for now and see how it goes, I just found duck and goose fat at my new local supermarket :D

[quote author=Gertrudes]
I have been using olive oil lately because I tested animal fats (lard, to be specific), and it triggered skin problems that don't seems to disappear, but rather intensify, with continuous consumption. I think that I will try lard again in a couple of months, after having detoxified a bit more. If animal fats are accelerating my detox process through my skin, a couple of months on the diet will likely help. Still, I'll keep adding other fats for now and see how it goes, I just found duck and goose fat at my new local supermarket
[/quote]

Hi Gertrudes, it would be interesting if you can detail a little about your skin problems, if you haven't done already. I too have some lately. My skin seems to be very irritated. It forms slight scratches, kind of, and they dissipater after a while. They also appear if I press too hard on the skin. I don't know if I can relate this to diet directly without considering genetic, it appears my dad has skin sensitivity since young age, through mine started around the time I suddenly changed my diet.

Congrats for finding duck fat. I have some unclear thoughts about the one that I buy now. The first brand I bought was simply duck fat that my local supermarket collected form the ducks there. It is the one I like best. It has no strong taste and it doesn't LIQUIDITY AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. The new brand has a strong smell and melts at room temperature. So I tend to believe that the second brand is not pure duck fat. Anyways, just some remarks.

andi said:
Hi Gertrudes, it would be interesting if you can detail a little about your skin problems, if you haven't done already.

Hi Andi,

Well, I've suffered from very mild adult acne that would always get worse when eating chocolate, nuts, olives, some fats, and the fatty parts of an animal such as chicken skin, for example. Since I've changed my diet more then a year ago, my skin cleared up. After having started now on the Ultra simple diet, it cleared up even more to have the texture of a baby's skin. I've not had it since I was a little girl.
However, when I tested for lard the other week, I instantly got acne pimples and black spots. As I continued it became progressively worse, so I decided to stop. My skin cleared up again. Today I tested for coconut oil. It has only been a few hours, but I already have a large red bump on my forehead :/

Andi said:
I too have some lately. My skin seems to be very irritated. It forms slight scratches, kind of, and they dissipater after a while. They also appear if I press too hard on the skin. I don't know if I can relate this to diet directly without considering genetic, it appears my dad has skin sensitivity since young age, through mine started around the time I suddenly changed my diet.

Mmm, that's strange. Is your skin dry as well? Also, when you say changed your diet, do you mean for the ultra simple diet (USD)?
I'm not sure whether this could apply to you, as your problem seems to be different, but throughout my life I just assumed I had problematic skin, and that was it, it would be like that forever. But after the USD, my skin and even my hair have changed so much that, in my case, I know it was food related. Have you tried eliminating foods and testing them to see how it goes?
Also something that seems to help me for skin problems is vitamin E. Vitamin E helps to clear up old oxidized cells, but again, I'm not sure how applicable that would be for your case.

Andi said:
The first brand I bought was simply duck fat that my local supermarket collected form the ducks there. It is the one I like best. It has no strong taste and it doesn't LIQUIDITY AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. The new brand has a strong smell and melts at room temperature. So I tend to believe that the second brand is not pure duck fat. Anyways, just some remarks.

Thanks for the heads up Andi. This is the first time I bought it, so I was not sure of what to expect. The goose fat comes in a tin, and you keep it in a cupboard until opening, after which it needs to be refrigerated. The duck fat needs to be in the fridge despite being being unopened, and has to be consumed within 4 weeks after opening. I haven't yet opened either though, so I'm curious to see how they'll behave.

Edit: Added question

Hmmm... that sounds like an excess of hormones, like estrogen. You might need to moderate your fat intake for awhile and eat a lot of cruciferous veggies to help with the estrogen thing. Have you tried using plant based progesterone cream?

Funny you should mention that, estrogen excess had crossed my mind recently when reading the Estrogen Dominance and weight loss thread (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12458.0)

Because of occasional mood swings and anxiety that seems to come from nowhere, I have the feeling that I have an hormonal imbalance, you also suggested that at another thread. Thyroid tests have not accused anything though, despite a kinesiologist having mentioned I had thyroid problems.

Will read further on estrogen excess and definitely give the progesterone cream a try. Thank you Laura :)

Gertrudes said:
Hi Endymion,

I also just found out about the rice....oh boy, and thinking back to how I used to just gorge on rice before the diet Undecided

About lunch: I usually take a tupperware with a reasonably sized chicken breast or a portion of fish, with loads of veggies soaked in olive oil. Lately I have tested quinoa and everything seems to be fine, so I've added quinoa to my lunch box. Sweet potato is also an excellent addition.
You can also add animal fats, which give you plenty of goodies.

Thanks for the suggestions, Gertrudes. I think I will experiment with cooking extra at dinnertime, and taking the leftovers to work for lunch.

[quote author=Gertrudes]
Mmm, that's strange. Is your skin dry as well? Also, when you say changed your diet, do you mean for the ultra simple diet (USD)?
I'm not sure whether this could apply to you, as your problem seems to be different, but throughout my life I just assumed I had problematic skin, and that was it, it would be like that forever. But after the USD, my skin and even my hair have changed so much that, in my case, I know it was food related. Have you tried eliminating foods and testing them to see how it goes?
[/quote]

No I don't have dry skin. I never had any skin problems until on day when suddenly at night it started itching and looking into a mirror my hole back was covered in scratches, thick ones. It was in the beginning before I even started to eliminate gluten, diary and all that, so I wasn't on USD. But then things got better, today the scratches/lines are much less in number and less frequent. I asked my dad and he has no idea what it could be after a lifetime of having them.
Lately I have big bumps on my head like you said. Yes I am pretty sure it is food related too, because it seems they appear more when my stomach is agitated. But I am pretty sure it is not fat related.

Also something that seems to help me for skin problems is vitamin E.
Thakx for the tip. I haven't tried yet, but i will.

[...] I'm curious to see how they'll behave.

Yes, please let us know.

Back
Top Bottom