Ultra Simple Diet

andi said:
I have question for you all and decided to place it here.
I have buckwheat 3 times a day, with every meal. I have no problem with it, I absolutely love it. But i was thinking that probably I am having too much. I run through a bag of 1kg in 3 day.
How much are you guys having? Does it case you any trouble if you take too much?

I mix things up every day i.e., amaranth for breakfast, brown rice for lunch, and quinoa for dinner because it's lighter than the others. Amaranth is really filling, takes about 20 mins to cook, and makes a kind of gritty porridge which I mix with coriander, then add onions and bacon slowly cooked in lard and ghee. Also it's half the price of quinoa, at least here in the UK. The brown rice is under review after reading that it contains a type of gluten. In the past I didn't tolerate buckwheat very well, and didn't go overboard for the flavour, but I am going to test it again.

andi said:
As a side note -A trick about buckwheat that I found is how to eliminate the smell of it. I simply add tree times as much salt then usual. The result is not three times as salty but just a lost in smell.

That's really interesting – thanks for the tip. I remember Laura mentioning that buckwheat needs plenty of salt, but three times as much?!! I already use plenty of salt which has really helped with adrenal fatigue so I will experiment with extra salt in buckwheat. James L Wilson, in Adrenal Fatigue suggests to salt your food to pleasant taste, so your suggestion of adding a larger quantity of salt to buckwheat makes sense.

We keep a big bowl of batter on the counter or in the fridge at all times. We have buckwheat bread (blinis or muffins) with every meal. Sometimes, we pour out a bit of the batter into a smaller bowl, add some herbs and more BW flour to make it thicker, dip small pieces of chicken or turkey in it and deep fry it for "nuggets". Very tasty and fast. In fact, if ya'll would use a seasoned, thick blini batter to make nuggets like this, and freeze them in portions (use fish, too!), you would have a great item to pack for work or school lunches!

Yes, we put in a good amount of salt - buckwheat just needs it, it seems. Also, plenty of oil.

Laura said:
Sometimes, we pour out a bit of the batter into a smaller bowl, add some herbs and more BW flour to make it thicker, dip small pieces of chicken or turkey in it and deep fry it for "nuggets".

I've tried using a thick buckwheat batter for chicken breast (diced), but if I fill the basket up, the pieces stick to each other. The only solution I can think of is to place less of them in the basket and be mindful of where they are placed so they aren't touching. Do you have any trouble with your battered food sticking together in the deep fryer?

P.S. I've also tried making sweet potato fries and am experimenting with temperature and duration. So far, delicious though! There's no reason why kids can't get excited over this sort of food.

andi said:
I have question for you all and decided to place it here.
I have buckwheat 3 times a day, with every meal. I have no problem with it, I absolutely love it. But i was thinking that probably I am having too much. I run through a bag of 1kg in 3 day.
How much are you guys having? Does it case you any trouble if you take too much?

As a side note -A trick about buckwheat that I found is how to eliminate the smell of it. I simply add tree times as much salt then usual. The result is not three times as salty but just a lost in smell. Bizarre. It could be the egg combination too.

The only suggestion I would have here is if you are doing an anti-candida diet. Grains should be eaten in very moderate amounts. Veggies and protein being the main staple for about two weeks.

Will read further on estrogen excess and indole-3-carbinol. Thank you Laura :)

Gertrudes, if I may ask...? How is your pancreas? Can not remember where I read about it, but I believe the pancreas is where the body processes fats. There may be something to look into here.

andi said:
Hi Mrs.Tigersoap, I know collagen is a protein responsible for healthy tissue in skin. It makes me wander if you are not lacking in collagen. Just a guess.

That's interesting. I have read about collagen and apparently Vitamin C is responsible for its formation, maintenance and repair. And I haven't taken Vitamin C in a while (I know, I know, I'm a bad girl, but I actually have some pharmacy-grade vitamin C at home and I keep forgetting to add it to my shake in the morning!), so, that's a possibility, indeed. I'm only puzzled as to why my skin is so dry on my face but perfectly smooth and hydrated on the rest of my body? It's like the fish oil really is doing its job on my body but stops at my face!

Thank you for bringing that up, Andi!

Gertrudes said:
Have you tried anti fungals for Candida? I am mentioning this because a coated tongue seems to indicate a fungal issue. When I was researching about Candida anti fungals, powdered Nystatin was often recommended in order to kill the fungus that we might have on the tongue and esophagus.

I am considering starting the anti-candida diet soon, actually. I did not know about the powdered Nystatin. But I have a question: isn't powdered Nystatin something that is applied topically? Is it applied in the throat ( :-[ sorry if that's obvious)?
I think I'm going to order some saccharomyces boulardii (it was suggested by Nathan somewhere, I think) and then see for the Nystatin.

Gertrudes said:
I'm glad to hear that your skin is getting better Mrs Tigersoap! The USD is also having the same effect in me, my partner says that my skin is glowing, and my skin problems disappeared entirely, that is apart from when I react to fats.

Well, my skin glowed a bit and Tigersoap was trying to be very encouraging, I think :). I see that yours is doing better (congrats!) and if I remember correctly, you were not eating any rice. I think i'm gonna try without rice for a while and see what happens.

I see that Laura pointed you in the direction of oestrogen dominance and decreasing fat intake, and since I think I might be concerned by that as well as since I tend to have tiny whiteheads appear at the slightest thing I eat wrong, I was thinking that maybe I should moderate my intake of fat as well. I have been eating a lot of it (at every meal, plus the fish oil supplements). I'm going to miss it, though. I'm already using the cream, will order the I3C soon and have started reintroducing cruciferous veggies. I will keep you posted in the oestrogen dominance thread.

Thanks for your input Gertrudes!

Thanks all ya for the buckwheat responses. ;)

[quote author=Endymion]
That's really interesting – thanks for the tip. I remember Laura mentioning that buckwheat needs plenty of salt, but three times as much?!! I already use plenty of salt which has really helped with adrenal fatigue so I will experiment with extra salt in buckwheat. James L Wilson, in Adrenal Fatigue suggests to salt your food to pleasant taste, so your suggestion of adding a larger quantity of salt to buckwheat makes sense.
[/quote]

I put 3 large tea spoons for 1L. I use sea salt sundried, medium grained. Works with bigger grain but nor as well. Watch out if the salt is too fine grained.

Hope this helps.

Mrs. T said:
I am considering starting the anti-candida diet soon, actually. I did not know about the powdered Nystatin. But I have a question: isn't powdered Nystatin something that is applied topically?

Powdered Nystatin is bright yellow and is diluted in water then swallowed before meals (on an empty stomach preferably, but you can eat if you feel nauseous). I think it may also be applied topically for dermal fungus but drinking it is the way to wage war on candida.

I bought high-grade nystatin from here. Once they added on postage it became expensive, so you might look around for something less pricey.

I first starting the UltaSimple Diet nine and half months ago, I’m restarting the new version again, today, this time to take more notice of the slight changes in what my body system is telling me as happening. This time coming from a deeper level of awareness to find what suits my body and what other than suits my body -a matter of gathering awareness of bodily reactions after doing heavy metal detoxing, candida detoxing, and almost finishing the Mercury detoxing (one cycle to go). I’ve had the idea that some foods, or even combinations, may not suit me, and that other foods I’ve avoided may in fact suit me! I’m starting right from scratch, even avoiding buckwheat and Quinoa initially, as well as olive oil – noting possible reactions from other people. This morning’s Ultrashake did include rice protein powder, as I’ve yet to order any hemp protein powder – why does it have to cost twice as much!!! :)

Kniall said:
Powdered Nystatin is bright yellow and is diluted in water then swallowed before meals (on an empty stomach preferably, but you can eat if you feel nauseous). I think it may also be applied topically for dermal fungus but drinking it is the way to wage war on candida.

I bought high-grade nystatin from here. Once they added on postage it became expensive, so you might look around for something less pricey.

I see! Thanks for that, Kniall! :)

Laura said:
We keep a big bowl of batter on the counter or in the fridge at all times. We have buckwheat bread (blinis or muffins) with every meal. Sometimes, we pour out a bit of the batter into a smaller bowl, add some herbs and more BW flour to make it thicker, dip small pieces of chicken or turkey in it and deep fry it for "nuggets". Very tasty and fast. In fact, if ya'll would use a seasoned, thick blini batter to make nuggets like this, and freeze them in portions (use fish, too!), you would have a great item to pack for work or school lunches!

Yes, we put in a good amount of salt - buckwheat just needs it, it seems. Also, plenty of oil.

OK, everybody seems to have their own slightly different batter receipe. I'm not having any luck with mine, whether I make it thick or thin and no matter how long I cook it, the pancakes are always mushy in the middle. I'm doing something wrong.

I'm not a creative cook, I don't do the "pinch of this" and "two parts of that" thing well. I need exact ingredients, and specific mesurements of such. Which is why I'd like a cookbook! :D

Mrs. Peel said:
OK, everybody seems to have their own slightly different batter receipe. I'm not having any luck with mine, whether I make it thick or thin and no matter how long I cook it, the pancakes are always mushy in the middle. I'm doing something wrong.

From what you describe, it sounds like you might be pouring your batter unevenly, where it is thicker in the middle than at the edges. To solve this problem, what I do after I pour my batter into the pan is I pick the pan up and roll it around at an angle, so the batter runs toward one edge, then another, then another, until I have spread it out across the whole circumference of the pan using gravity. Give that a shot and see if it works -- I hope it takes care of it.

Mrs. Peel said:

Out of curiosity, how thick are your pancakes? Mine are only about 2-4mm thick.

Laura said:
Are you cooking with an iron skillet?

No, I need to investigate if I can use one on my glass cooktop, I need to look at the booklet that came with the stove (if I can find it!)

Shijing , I am rolling the batter around. I'm using almond milk in them, should I be using water instead? Maybe I put too much oil in?

Edit:

Most of what I read says it will damage/scratch the stovetop if there is the slighgest ridge on the bottom of the pan, and that the heat gets too high and will damage the burners or shut them off or something. But then there is this:

Cast Iron Cooking
It could be argued that cast iron cookware performs best on a gas stove. Many cooks consider gas a superior heat source over electric cooking. Gas heat's consistent flame may keep cast iron at a consistent, and therefore more predictable, temperature. Cast iron's cooking performance--whether with gas or with electric like a glass top stove--depends on individual perceptions of the outcome of a recipe. Superior dishes and claims of superiority are both willingly accepted.
Accidents
The ceramic glass on a glass top stove is durable but not invincible. Because of its weight, a cast iron pot is a hazard to the glass top stove.

Be careful when using heavy cookware like cast iron on or near glass top stoves. In normal use, there is no absolutely no problem with using cast iron. However, do not store cast iron or any heavy object in kitchen cabinets over the stove.

Pick up a cast iron pan instead of dragging it across the glass top to prevent scratching. Purchase special protective cooking pads for glass top stoves at kitchen stores for use with high-heat cookware like cast iron.

So perhaps I need to go to a kitchen store and inquire about some protective pads. But how would you cook on a pad?? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom