Ultra Simple Diet

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:
I'd just get a gas stove.

No gas lines coming in for one.

Can you get them? Surely that option is available because many cooks simply refuse to use anything else. Surely there is such a cook around there who has already made that demand?

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

You can also use indoor propane-butane stove, with gas bottle. Widely use in my country. If properly used it is very safe and one bottle lasts even till two month.
Something like this:

_http://www.calor.co.uk/customer-services/faqs/regulator-guide/propane-cylinders/

_http://www.missiongas.com/lpgascylinders.htm

_http://www.zavarene-posude.hr/proizvodni.php?cid=1&PHPSESSID=e8af8b74cd77fc76a2476a3e8fff77d2

Recharging (taking yours and give you full one) is about 10 euros. Good thing is that you are not dependent on gas companies, and you can have more then one bottle, if there is necessity for that.

Here is mine:(last about one month with everyday cooking)

dpupEyRo.gif

If you are talking about something completely different, I'm sorry, sometimes I cant understand english, if it is in jargon.

Mrs. Peel said:
Most of what I read says it will damage/scratch the stovetop if there is the slighgest ridge on the bottom of the pan, and that the heat gets too high and will damage the burners or shut them off or something.

I recently purchased a 10" Lodge iron skillet and it has a small indented ring on the bottom and the logo stamped on it. I've been using it on the our glass stop stove for the last couple of months and haven't had any issues with it. It's not too heavy and pretty easy to handle. Just have to be gentle when putting it on the stove after lifting it, as if you drop it hard on the surface I can see it could crack it. I've been working on seasoning it and it is slowly coming along. There's a bit of extra care involved but it just makes me love the skillet even that much more! (Not too mention that everything that comes out of there just tastes so good ;))

Mrs. Peel said:
I'm using almond milk in them, should I be using water instead? Maybe I put too much oil in?

I can't for the life of me find Laura's updated recipe, but it's 2 cups of water per cup of buckwheat flour, and 1/3 cup water per cup of buckwheat flour. I find 2 cups of water is too watery for me, but that's the gist of it.

Wait, found it!
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12952.msg159340#msg159340

Adjust thickness of batter to your preferences. The recipe is just a guideline.

As for the glasstop stoves, I find it fascinating that they have come up with a high-tech way of cooking that is not only not good for you, but also prevents you from cooking with healthy cookware and almost mandates the use of "modern" stuff. They've managed to take your choices away from you!

Anyway, on a similar note:

A growing body of research links five of the most commonly used chemicals in the world to a host of ailments, including cancer, sexual problems and behavioral issues. Here's what CNN suggests you can do about them:

1. BPA — Bisphenol A

BPA is used to make lightweight, clear, heat-resistant plastic. It's also used in epoxy resins.

A growing body of research suggests that BPA poses a potential cancer risk and may disrupt the extremely sensitive chemical signals in your body called the endocrine system.

To avoid it, buy stainless steel bottles and glass food storage containers. Switch to fresh or frozen vegetables instead of canned. If you buy plastic, check for the number on the bottom — if there is a number 7, assume the container contains BPA unless it explicitly says otherwise.

2. Phthalates

This family of chemicals softens plastics. Phthalates are considered endocrine disrupters. Research has also shown phthalates disrupt reproductive development. Avoid shampoos, conditioners and other personal care products that list "fragrance" as an ingredient.

3. PFOA — Perfluorooctanoic acid (also called C8)

PFOA is used to make Teflon and other nonstick and stain- or water-repellent products. PFOA causes cancer and developmental problems. You can reduce your potential exposure by using stainless steel or cast iron cookware. If you use nonstick cookware, do not overheat it — this releases toxic gas.

4. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is an ingredient in resins that act as a glue in the manufacture of pressed wood products. It is a known human carcinogen, causing cancers of the respiratory or gastrointestinal tract.

Buying furniture free from formaldehyde eliminates much of the exposure you face from the chemical. If you have wood products containing formaldehyde, increase ventilation, reduce humidity with air conditioning or dehumidifiers and keep your home cool.

5. PBDEs — Polybrominated diphenyl ethers

PBDEs are a group of chemicals used as flame retardants. Toxicology tests show PBDEs may damage your liver and kidneys and affect your brain and behavior. Try to find products without PBDE flame retardants and be sure to sweep up dust.

Another note: if you use stainless cookware, there is a HUGE difference in quality of the products. Cheap stainless is just useless, IMO. A good quality stainless pot of an average size will set you back a hundred bux or so. Cast iron is better and cheaper!

Laura said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Can you get them? Surely that option is available because many cooks simply refuse to use anything else. Surely there is such a cook around there who has already made that demand?

Yeah, but it would cost an arm and a leg. The people who build the house chose electric over gas, but some people in the area do have gas. I'd have to pay somebody to come in and install gas lines, I'm sure the gas company will be involved at some point and want their cut, I don't know if they'd have to dig up the yard to run them, and tear up the floor to put them in, plus buy a new stove. $$$$$

I'll just buy a cast iron skillet and be careful with it!! Will search the forum for how to season it.

Believe me, the glasstop wasn't my idea, it was already there. They put them in all the homes now.

Believe me, the glasstop wasn't my idea, it was already there. They put them in all the homes now.

It's in fashion here as well. When we tell people we have a gas stove, they stare at us like we are cavemen! :lol:
They usually say that it's so backward and dangerous (because of a possible leak).
But all the decent cooks I know will only use a gas stove, it' so much easier to control the heat.

Haha, it's funny how people think that. When I was in Tokyo every stove was gas fired (electricity was just too damned expensive). I didn't realize how much better and useful they were to work with until I came back. I don't care much for the flat top electric stove at home (it takes forever to heat things up) but it'll have to do for now.

I wanted to give you all an update on my adventures with fats and meat. For the past couple of weeks I've been eating meat cooked slowly, on a lower temperature, in lard and ghee and, occasionally, beef dripping, and adding the cooking fat to my veggies, sometimes eating meat twice a day. I've been eating pork, lamb, trout, chicken, turkey and bacon.

The biggest change I've noticed is that my sweet cravings have virtually disappeared. I wasn't fulfilling those cravings with sugar or even xylitol, just with dried fruit cooked with concentrated apple juice, or I would buy dried pineapple chunks 'intensified' with concentrated pineapple juice. But, that craving has just faded away. I'm actually rather amazed that a deficiency of fats in my diet would manifest as a craving for sweet foods.

I've also noticed that starting the day with plenty of fats (ghee and lard), and fatty bacon, really sets me up for the day, my energy levels are more even, and I don't get hungry so soon as I used to. However I do eat at regular times and never let myself get really hungry. I used to think you should cook with as little fat as possible, preferably ghee, and being type A, I thought that a basically vegetarian diet was good for me, with a little fish now and then. I could not have been more wrong!

So, thank you again, Laura, for posting the 'ten commandments' which really brought the fats issue to my attention, and just at the right time.

Yes, the cessation of cravings for sweets and carbs in general is one of the benefits of adding more fats and meat and starting the day with them. I can actually eat two squares of chocolate and not want anymore.

Laura said:
I can actually eat two squares of chocolate and not want anymore.

I agree. Last night I had a piece of chocolate cake for a friends birthday and after a couple of bits, I just didn't feel like wanting anymore. And I used to be know for eating industrial quantities of chocolate. I couldn't pass a day without having a chocolate bar at least, but now my cravings are gone for good; I can barely eat it; it feels very strange if I eat more than 2 squares.

Laura said:
Yes, the cessation of cravings for sweets and carbs in general is one of the benefits of adding more fats and meat and starting the day with them.

I hadn't considered carb craving to be linked to fat consumption, but, yes, I am also finding that I want to eat less carbs and more veggies. I have easily and naturally cut down on the amount of rice I eat. Very interesting!

Endymion said:
Laura said:
Yes, the cessation of cravings for sweets and carbs in general is one of the benefits of adding more fats and meat and starting the day with them.

I hadn't considered carb craving to be linked to fat consumption, but, yes, I am also finding that I want to eat less carbs and more veggies. I have easily and naturally cut down on the amount of rice I eat. Very interesting!

This is so true! Before starting the Ultra Simple Diet I couldn't imagine ever being able to give up bread, coffee, alcohol or sugar. Having been on the diet for around a month now, I don't crave anything and rarely feel hungry. I feel really satisfied all the time and quite peaceful inside if that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom